Menu

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We watched. Although I knew it was bad, I was horrified by the list of ingredients on the processed crap that Jamie pulled out of the school freezer. Those "potato pearls" or whatever they are just made me want to hurl. And pizza for breakfast???!!! Every day???!!! That pepto-pink "milk" turned my stomach as well.

I'm really disappointed at the attitudes in the town, and felt the DJ should have really been more open-minded about the whole thing. I think the pastor has the potential to be a great ally, and hope that he goes to bat for Jamie. The lunch ladies give me a cramp, as does the principal. I feel for the mom who was willing to make a change in her family's eating habits. That whole pile of processed crap on the table was eye-opening.

All in all, I admire Jamie greatly for attempting this. Unfortunately, I think the USDA needs to change the school lunch guidelines in order to have any real, lasting effect on the eating habits of children. Parents need to stop taking the easy, quick way out and giving in to kids' demands for garbage.

To sum, I'm sickened that OUR tax dollars are being used to poison children.

astrid

They are re-airing the episode on Friday along with a new episode in case anyone missed it.

I am saddened by what I saw tonight: the attitude of the school cooks, the preservatives in the food, the potato pearls, the fact that the lunch ladies were delighted that the children chose their processed pizza over the healthy chicken made my Jamie Oliver.

Cindy

I am saddened by what I saw tonight: the attitude of the school cooks, the preservatives in the food, the potato pearls, the fact that the lunch ladies were delighted that the children chose their processed pizza over the healthy chicken made my Jamie Oliver.

This is similar to what happened when they did the British version several years ago. It will be amazing to watch the transformation. I wonder if it will play out in the same way.

is this worth having my mom record for me?
Maybe your mom can adopt me? :blushing:

I can't believe I missed it. I like J.O. I meant to set it up to DVR.

I guess this is what happens when you hardly ever watch TV and the only reason you have cable is so that your 3 year old can watch The Wiggles on Sprout :001_huh:

Does anyone know what the regular time slot for this show will be?

It was really interesting. I'm hoping that we get to see a happier ending Friday than we did tonight.

I'm very glad that my child isn't fed that garbage every day.... Two breads a requirement???? Counting french fries as a veggie? What are they thinking? (I believe they're allowed to count catsup as a veggie, too.) Ick!

I can't believe I missed it. I like J.O. I meant to set it up to DVR.

I guess this is what happens when you hardly ever watch TV and the only reason you have cable is so that your 3 year old can watch The Wiggles on Sprout :001_huh:

Friday it will be a 2 hour show (maybe will include tonight's 1 hour episode?) at 8 ET. Regular time slot looks to be Fridays at 9 ET.

From his site:

Episode 1 Sunday 21st March 10pm EST (sneak peak!)

Episode 1 Friday 26th March – 8pm EST

Episode 2 Friday 26th March– 9pm EST

Episode 2 Saturday 27th March – 4pm EST (repeat)

Episode 3 Friday 2nd April – 9pm EST

Episode 3 Saturday 3rd April – 3pm EST (repeat)

Episode 4 Friday 9th April – 9 pm EST

Episode 4 Saturday 10th April – 3 pm EST (repeat)

Episode 5 Friday 16th April – 9 pm EST

Season finale Friday 23rd April – 9 pm EST

We watched. Although I knew it was bad, I was horrified by the list of ingredients on the processed crap that Jamie pulled out of the school freezer. Those "potato pearls" or whatever they are just made me want to hurl. And pizza for breakfast???!!! Every day???!!! That pepto-pink "milk" turned my stomach as well.

I'm really disappointed at the attitudes in the town, and felt the DJ should have really been more open-minded about the whole thing. I think the pastor has the potential to be a great ally, and hope that he goes to bat for Jamie. The lunch ladies give me a cramp, as does the principal. I feel for the mom who was willing to make a change in her family's eating habits. That whole pile of processed crap on the table was eye-opening.

All in all, I admire Jamie greatly for attempting this. Unfortunately, I think the USDA needs to change the school lunch guidelines in order to have any real, lasting effect on the eating habits of children. Parents need to stop taking the easy, quick way out and giving in to kids' demands for garbage.

To sum, I'm sickened that OUR tax dollars are being used to poison children.

astrid

:iagree: Really, you said everything I thought while watching. The lunch ladies made me sad, especially Alice, as she cheered for the children choosing the nasty pizza over the healthy chicken. I hope there is a good outcome and look forward to watching regularly.

I was sitting there watching those lunch ladies and the dj, and I really hope some of that was for a dramatic tv effect or something. It seems that some people are so caught up in keeping things the same out of ease rather than making a few simple changes that could change their lives.

DH and I watched. I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan and follow his work on this sort of thing in the UK. I am not a food purist, but when he mentioned the hydrogenated canola oil in those potato pearls I felt queasy. My DH was flipping out over the lunchlady who had the audacity to call herself a cook when all she did was reheat frozen crap. It was awful realizing that those children exist on a rotation of frozen pizza, burgers, and nuggets. And that lunch with breaded nuggets, rolls, and corn, topped off by dipping sauces full of HFCS!!! How many forms of grain were they trying to squeeze into that meal?!

I thought it was interesting when he asked the students what they had had for dinner the night before, and they had eaten the same things at home for dinner. It is being spun as "look what the schools are doing to these kids," but unless he addresses all the families in town as well, the kids will still have junk at home. It was a great start with the one family, but how many more will refuse to make changes.

I really want to see how they force the students to eat the healthy meals. When I was in school, we had to eat our vegetables and fruits or we couldn't be done with lunch. I can't see that happening today without parents freaking out.

The bottom line is that they can change the school cafeterias, but they must also change culture and families in order for lasting improvements to happen in these kids' lives.

I really want to see how they force the students to eat the healthy meals.

In the British shows they only had the healthy food without the option of the processed food. Then they had lots of assemblies where he talked to the kids about food and also got kids involved in hands on activities about food. He really tried to change the kid's view about food.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. I think Alice will become his greatest ally before it is all over.

I watched this last night and it seemed very familiar. Was this a repeat of a show that appeared on cable? Everything about it seemed familiar. The lunch ladies, the cheering over pizza, the losing battle over processed foods, the newspaper article.

I agree that Jamie will have a HUGE effort on his hands. He needs to meet with many families if he is going to change the food culture.

I watched it on Hulu this morning with the kids. (I'm counting it as "Health and Safety".)

I felt the radio DJ was trying to bring to light a lot of the negativity that Jamie Oliver is up against. This is going to be a hard sell. ESPECIALLY since the school is giving him ONE WEEK to prove himself.

I am disappointed in the school kitchen workers. I think they prepare food more than they cook it, but they have also been taught that they don't have time to COOK food unless it is prepared ahead and frozen. So much of our society is told the same thing for our homes - the freezer sections are as big as the produce sections!

My ds5 thought it was a very bad idea for the kids to have a choice between pizza and chicken. I understand why the "test" had to be done; to show that JO will have a very hard sell. Same ds wanted to know if he would have been able to ask for the pizza and the salad. :D

My kids were amazed that some kids eat breakfast AND lunch at schools, and had some great ideas for breakfast foods: pancakes, muffins, eggs! And they were amazed at the food the mother had for her family - some great discussion starters here.

My FIL works in his school district's food services dept, and is frustrated with the food that is served. He sees the whole menu circle around the WANTS of the kids, not on the health of the kids. There must be some middle ground. I'm looking forward to seeing if this show might have any impact on the homefronts across the country, even in small ways.

We don't have TV, but will be watching weekly on Hulu on Monday mornings.

We eat healthy meals in this house but I'm afraid that if my kids got a choice between healthy chicken or pizza, they would probably choose the pizza.:blushing: Also - my kids eat salad but would not have wanted it already dressed with dressing - esp. a vinaigrette. And one of my children would have loved the chicken with the marinade, and one would have eaten it better if it was plain. I'm glad that I have them at home were I can help/insist that they eat healthily while slowly getting them used to more seasonings.

My kids have been in public schools in two different states. In my experience, the food served by the school reflects the food culture of the community.

In Rhode Island, coffee milk was one of the drink choices in elementary school.

Here in Vermont, the school lunch is cooked (not reheated) at the school. There's a big emphasis on local food and organic food. The food is fresh, healthy, and delicious.

But food is also a huge focus of the community in general. Parents hold fundraisers to supplement the school food budget to cover the extra cost of organic vegetables. Local farms donate food to the schools. We have a week during which people pledge to eat only local food, and the school joins in.

I don't know that our school lunch program would get the support it needs in a community that didn't value healthy food.

It was really interesting. I'm hoping that we get to see a happier ending Friday than we did tonight.

I'm very glad that my child isn't fed that garbage every day.... Two breads a requirement???? Counting french fries as a veggie? What are they thinking? (I believe they're allowed to count catsup as a veggie, too.) Ick!

I know in some states pickles are counted as a veggie because they start as cucumbers..

Thanks, we may watch it for school.

That is a good idea. I'll have to watch it again with dd.

The bottom line is that they can change the school cafeterias, but they must also change culture and families in order for lasting improvements to happen in these kids' lives.

:iagree:That is going to play a big part in getting those kids (and the adults) healthier. I was disappointed that we did not get another glimpse into the family.

the freezer sections are as big as the produce sections!

My freezer section is bigger than my produce section - in both local stores.

amazing...why don't those people want to give him a chance???

i can't wait to see the rest of this series...

They don't want to give him a chance because they are very defensive of their lifestyles. Imagine being cited as the fattest city in the nation. Then some guy from a foreign country comes in and tells you how wrong you are doing everything. I'd bet most of them have never heard of Jamie Oliver.

I'm going to have to find a way to watch the rest of the series. I found it very interesting. But I will say something in defense of pizza for breakfast. It is great if it is made well. A nice whole grain crust with some olive oil spread on, then fresh spinach, scrambled eggs, chopped onions, peppers, celery and maybe some ham if you want the meat. Top all of that with some low fat mozzarella. Yummy.

That stuff at the school called pizza even looked disgusting.

We went to see Alice in Wonderland yesterday. I bet Jamie feels like he has fallen down a rabbit hole, with a very different Alice.

Yes, I wonder how much of the dramatic is staged for television, but his effort seems very sincere and I hope he succeeds.

We watched for school and had a lot of pause and chat moments.

Now I'm going to choose lunch, not pizza or nuggets. :lol:

My kids have been in public schools in two different states. In my experience, the food served by the school reflects the food culture of the community.

In Rhode Island, coffee milk was one of the drink choices in elementary school.

Here in Vermont, the school lunch is cooked (not reheated) at the school. There's a big emphasis on local food and organic food. The food is fresh, healthy, and delicious.

But food is also a huge focus of the community in general. Parents hold fundraisers to supplement the school food budget to cover the extra cost of organic vegetables. Local farms donate food to the schools. We have a week during which people pledge to eat only local food, and the school joins in.

I don't know that our school lunch program would get the support it needs in a community that didn't value healthy food.

I agree with you. I think you have an excellent strong community investment in your school, and I think that is needed in most communities. I know the USDA did have (and may still) a packet that PTO/PTA's and schools could use to focus on the school menus to work together for improvements. Much of the information I saw (years ago) was related to educating the public/parents and the students on healthy food choices. I know in some school districts, there has been success in changing the items available in vending machines based on community support of such changes.

I thought it was interesting when he asked the students what they had had for dinner the night before, and they had eaten the same things at home for dinner.

Yes.

My dear friend is a "lunch lady" (nothing like the lunch ladies in question), and she says that one of the biggest challenges she faces is that the children most in need of fresh nutritious food are the least likely to choose it because the processed foods and breakfast cereals are what they are accustomed to eating at home.

FWIW, not all school lunches are like the ones on the show. My friend bakes muffins or hot oatmeal for breakfast every day, there is a salad bar available at both meals and the kids can eat as much fresh veg as they want, the school district and food service company are (slowly) moving toward eliminating the processed crap and serving real meat and real cheese, and many of the lunch ladies themselves are campaigning from within with the support of parents to serve more fresh local foods.

Cat

I LOVED this show! When it started I was tuning it out, but soon found my self engrossed (get it, engrossed?), and the attitudes of the lunch ladies played perfectly into the story. It does make one wonder how much is edited to fit the storyline, but the reality is they are feeding the kids horribly! They probably figure (and I likely would too, if I'm honest) that it's impossible to cook mostly from scratch for 400 people.

Quit interested to follow this series.

My prediction?

Alice (the lunch-lady) becomes a passionate foot-soldier in the vanguard of Jamie's "Revolution".

And the DJ says, "You know, I was wrong about you."

Bill (who has worked too long in television ;) )

And the kid interested in being a chef will get a scholarship to a cooking school. ;)

Dh and I spent the show discussing the various editing decisions. :D

Producer A: "So we'll have Jaime serve his food the second day."

Producer B: "No wait, what if we serve both and have the students choose, and we do a lot of close ups of Jaime's worried face and Alice's gloating reaction during lunch."

Producer A: "Genius! But what if the kids choose the healthy food?"

Producer B: "We'll just make it the day they serve pizza. Nothing beats pizza!"

Yes, I wonder how much of the dramatic is staged for television...

ALL of it :D

..but his effort seems very sincere and I hope he succeeds.

I agree. It is a vitally important issue, and the lack of enlightenment is astonishing. Let's hope the show has some impact.

It does make one wonder how much is edited to fit the storyline...

ALL of it :D

but the reality is they are feeding the kids horribly!

True.

Producer B: "No wait, what if we serve both and have the students choose, and we do a lot of close ups of Jaime's worried face and Alice's gloating reaction during lunch."

I've been an editor in television for over 25 years, you nailed it! ;)

Bill

I laughed out loud regarding the precooked chicken.

I really, really disliked the dramatization and manipulation of the family that Jamie Oliver is working with. I didn't like the shaming of the mother and the phoney sounding dialogue between Jamie and the mom.

OTH, I agreed with everything. That food is crap. We all know because we all ate it in school!! It is exactly the same. The kitchen cookers looked spotless it was hard to imagine that any real cooking took place there.

I did sympathize with the kitchen ladies including the crotchety one. They have rules to follow and the precooked food is there so that they can get food out in time for 450 kids. It would be a daunting task to wash, peel, cut and chop vegetables for 450 kids AND then cook.

Jamie was on point with the waste of food, the red tape, the idiotic guidelines, the resistance to change, the Aladdin's cave of processed food, the waste of tax payer money, the paucity of nutrition in the food, etc.

And the kid interested in being a chef will get a scholarship to a cooking school. ;)

:D But I get the impression that it's not hard to find a day they are serving pizza!