Menu

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the home-packed meals were an improvement over the "school lunches" in most cases, they were still completely unacceptable by my standards. Junk, junk and more junk.

Bill

Can I guess?

Lunchables. Gogurt. Capri Sun juice pouches. 100 calorie snack packs. Kudos "granola" bars.

I think a large part of the problem is that we see food in terms of how convenient it is rather than how real it is. And we like to believe the commercials that tell us how "healthy" those convenience foods are for our children.

Thanks! I will try that GF flour mix, I believe I have all of those ingredients. Right now I find it pretty easy to do non-grain-based dishes but then I come across a great-sounding whole-grain bread, pancake, cookie, or quickbread recipe and I am just dying to try making something from scratch with fresh-milled grains....but knowing what and how to substitute to be able to use GF sources with regular recipes is quite the learning process. So I'll try your flour mix and go from there!

So it's not the 'whole foods' cooking that's getting to you but the 'whole grains' cooking that's getting to you;p Big difference of course, as you know that there is a tremendous amount of grain free whole foods cooking/preparation that can be done.

Ime, pancakes also come out *perfectly*. No one can tell the difference between my 'toll house' cookies and real toll house cookies. GF brownies are often better than real ones.

Generally, I find that GF cooking tends to fall apart - literally and figuratively - when it's not just gluten free but also when other subs are being attempted: egg free, alternative sweeteners, 100% whole grain (ie missing the starch component of the GF mixture), fat free etc.....that's when problems crop up.

Sorry to have veered *so far* off the course of the original topic which is healthy food preparation. When I'm generally talking GF substitutions for baking it's not in the framework of whole foods or healthy food preparation as you can see. I do the rest of the foods healthfully and whole....saving the GF grains for 'treat' type foods.

:)

k

We could, but I don't know why pancakes must be considered unhealthy. I think people assume only purple raw cabbage or something is healthy, and that's just wrong.

I can get behind unhealthy if it's a box of bisquick...but otherwise, I will need more information.

:lurk5:

I'm in! Sounds like fun! But...let's start tomorrow. Tonight we had pancakes for dinner.

I love pancakes. I don't think homemade pancakes are particularly bad?

We're having potroast...oh...I'd better put that on, huh?

But I had pizza for breakfast yesterday - I just can't get this thing right! :lol:

ETA My pancakes were home made, with mostly organic ingredients, and I used wheat flour (mostly). And they were topped with real, local maple syrup and strawberries. I think the kids washed them down with organic milk, and I had really cheap wine.

We could, but I don't know why pancakes must be considered unhealthy. I think people assume only purple raw cabbage or something is healthy, and that's just wrong.

I can get behind unhealthy if it's a box of bisquick...but otherwise, I will need more information.

:lurk5:

I think the important question is, what did she pour on top of the pancakes? :bigear:

Real Vermont maple syrup? Or some of that fake stuff? :D

I'm in! Sounds like fun! But...let's start tomorrow. Tonight we had pancakes for dinner.

We had Schwan pizzas. Nobody really wanted them, but I need to go shopping. :blush:

On the bright side, teenage ds (the elder--the one who dislikes Schwan pizzas the most) has been invited to plan/cook a meal and was last seen thumbing through my cookbooks. :D

I guess I'll need to go shopping tomorrow. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: We were very close to pancakes here tonight also (with maple syrup of course!). I was even going to do them up right with (fresh bulk--no nitrates) sausage & scrambled eggs. The kids thought that was weird. :001_huh: It would have been way better than the pizzas.

Edited by darlasowders

I love pancakes. I don't think homemade pancakes are particularly bad?

Nor are they particularly healthy when prepared and served in a 'traditional' american way.

It's essentially bread - at the very best it'll be whole wheat 'bread', but not usually - with more butter than most would put on bread, then sugar poured over the top. It's the ideal combination to elevate (immediately) triglycerides, trigger fat storage, raise blood sugar.

Grains, no matter how healthfully we prepare them, are still grains and are, calorie for calorie, the least nutritious of the general food categories. I'm referring to the categories as grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits, non-grain nuts/seeds, eggs, 'meat'.

Don't get me wrong....I eat them and love them. But always while recognizing what they are and are not.

Best,

Katherine

My kids and I use maple syrup. My dh (who is Mr. "Clean" when it comes to food most of the time) likes the fake stuff.

I'll admit I like the fake stuff too. It has a nice buttery taste and the proper consistency to spread over the pancake before soaking in. (Yes, I'm actually anal about weird stuff like that...)

But I had pizza for breakfast yesterday - I just can't get this thing right! :lol:

ETA My pancakes were home made, with mostly organic ingredients, and I used wheat flour (mostly). And they were topped with real, local maple syrup and strawberries. I think the kids washed them down with organic milk, and I had really cheap wine.

Okay you had me till the wine! Ewww pancakes and wine? Sort of gave me a chill thinking of the combo.

I love pancakes and waffels. When I do pancakes for me I make every elses up first and with just the last bit of batter I'll drop a cup or more of blue berries in. Just enough batter to sort of hold the berries together.

I used to get the whole wheat and grain pancake mix. The kids (mine and the neighbors. We do lunch - I'd cook but her kitchen and waffel iron) never liked them as pancakes, but loved them as waffels. I think because they were firmer than usual pancakes and tended to have a crisper edge. But that worked great as waffels. Plus those are already a darker 'golden brown' than pancakes. And the hold up to juicer fruit dumped on top better than regular waffel mix/recipes. I'd put them out with different kinds of fruit and peanut butter.

It's also amazing how far 10-12 mini chocolate chips go! They think it's some super incredible treat. 'OOOOhhhh, chocolate with breakfast!' (or lunch or dinner!) Really though 12 mini chocolate chips is really nothing.

Kids will eat what's given them if that's all that is made available. After all, when's the last time you saw a six-year-old pull his car into the local Shop-a-lot and whip out his credit card to buy junk-food?

I tire of hearing parents (and lunch ladies) say, "They just won't eat that!" Sure they will, if they're hungry enough. Then they'll get used to it. Then they might even (gasp!) grow to like it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

A thousand times, :iagree:!!!!!

THANK YOU for saying this!!!!

astrid

My pancakes were home made, with mostly organic ingredients, and I used wheat flour (mostly). And they were topped with real, local maple syrup and strawberries. I think the kids washed them down with organic milk, and I had really cheap wine.

Pancakes and cheap wine.....oooooooo.

Wonder what hubby will say when he sees that on our dinner menu for the week?

Cat

What scares me is the amount of soda I see everyone drinking. Especially kids.

My husband had kids come into his practice with Mountain Dew in their sippy cups! Sippy cups!

Waiters argue with me that my kid gets a soda with his meal when I keep saying he want's water. He likes water. He doesn't like soda! We he was little we told him he wouldn't like, it's got bubbles. You know? He didn't like it because of the bubbles! That was the goal and we've run with it!

I'm not saying soda should be outlawed. I like an occasional soda. I had maybe a cups worth tonight. (I made pizza and the husband like a coke with his pizza.) But I don't think kids, especially little kids need to be drinking it like water. They need to be drinking water like water. When we were growing up soda was a treat. Something special you got at grandma's house. And you only got one. Sometimes you had to split the GLASS (yes a long time ago!) bottle. (Which I think was part of the fun of the soda, the glass bottle.)

My mil had ended up with Alzheimer's. She drank not just coke, but

diet caffine free coke for years. At least 40 of them a week, (they would buy at least 4 12 packs a week and he took one to work a day) plus more when they were out. This went on for about 20 years. You can't tell me that many years of aspartame, in such a high dose every day, not forgetting whatever it is they have to do to make it 'caffine free', didn't have an effect on her brain.

I'm against grain as poison. I give you the magnficient French baguette, Asian Udon stir fry, golden Italian egg noodles.

I won't get behind food choice substituted for religion. Demonizing ancient ingredients borders on fundamentalism and I reject that.

If one can't handle gluten, don't eat it, of course.

"Eat food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants." Try for organic, and stay away from factory farmed food as much as you financially can as you make other changes. If a person starting on this road does only one thing, let that be to purge HFCS from their home. Then plant some parsely on your widow-sill. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, the soda bothers me, and the sports drinks!! They are the most appalling colors! LAVENDER? BLUE? GREEN??? And kids who have no intention of breaking a sweat carry around giant vats of this garbage, thinking they need it to stay hydrated! Well, of course they're thirsty--- it's noon, and they've already consumed five times their daily requirement of carbs and sodium!!

UGH.

astrid

Some people believe grains are the new kids on the culinary block. I don't know if you can get away from food as a religion though.

Interesting stuff.

They may be newish, but they are not new.

Humans *evolved* to survive and thrive on a magnificent variety of food. Even if one doesn't believe in evolution, it's a given that Jesus ate bread...and drank wine...and promised milk and honey, fed the multitudes fish. So, he wasn't a vegetarian, or anti -lactose or sugar. Or grain. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

They may be newish, but they are not new.

Humans *evolved* to survive on a magnificent variety of food. Even if one doesn't believe in evolution, it's a given that Jesus ate bread...and drank wine...and promised milk and honey. He wasn't anti -lactose or sugar. Or grain.

Or wine. Just clarifying. :D

and the sports drinks!! They are the most appalling colors! LAVENDER? BLUE? GREEN???

UGH.

astrid

This is such a struggle in our home. My husband works for a professional sports team where Gatorade, Powerade, EAS and other Protein drinks are marketed as the healty alternative to soda.

This is such a struggle in our home. My husband works for a professional sports team where Gatorade, Powerade, EAS and other Protein drinks are marketed as the healty alternative to soda.

It's all in the marketing--- Drinking Gatorade will not a Michael Jordan make. Frustrating!

astrid

Or wine. Just clarifying. :D

:) That wasn't grape juice. I have a feeling Jesus knew wine the same way George Washington did. WHile some people don't appreicate Jesus' true common sense, debating skills, and compassion, I am quite sure he was a fantastic dinner guest because of all of these things. You don't get to be popular for 2 thousand years without a whole lot of charisma. He was also probably a huge flirt, given how much he loved women.

Edited by LibraryLover

He can tell the kids the truth. He doesn't make the stuff, he just works afor sports team with elite athletes who might actually need some of the electrolytes offerred in some of these drinks. (Some of these things could eaily be made without HFCS etc). If he made it, and was perpetuating the lie that it was healthy, or something regular kids needed daily, you'd have a bigger issue.

Your kids might like to watch Food Inc, and King Corn. Have they seen Fast Food Nation? I

He can tell the kids the truth. He doesn't make the stuff, he just works afor sports team with elite athletes who might actually need some of the electrolytes offerred in some of these drinks. (Some of these things could eaily be made without HFCS etc). If he made it, and was perpetuating the lie that it was healthy, or something regular kids needed daily, you'd have a bigger issue.

Your kids might like to watch Food Inc, and King Corn. Have they seen Fast Food Nation? I

The problem is that my husband buys the myth.

We haven't watched King Corn, or Food Inc., but that's about to change. :)

("No, thanks, I'd prefer if you lied...") :001_huh:

Seriously (grin) I considered myself fortunate to be able to watch the premier show while visiting my mother this weekend. We don't have t.v. at home, but I knew about Mr. Oliver's ambitious plan from watching his TED award presentation.

That this topic has finally made television is a watershed moment. That the outcome will be positively predictable is..well, predictable. That Mr. Oliver is a Brit makes absolutely no difference. That our food and food systems (particularly institutional) are haywire is evident, and I'm glad someone is finally bringing this to the public eye. I share Mr. Oliver's passion, but don't quite have his clout. :D

Funny youtube:

I am not sure that was funny ha -ha, but it was intersting.

Why are full-fat yougurt, cheese, and milk -consuming Scandinavians so tall and thin? Did the dried and salted fish they ate as they conquered the seas make them fat? ;) (Just threw that out apropos of nada).

How much olive oil did Odysseus and his ilk consume? Aren't the molars of some mummy-teeth ground down because sand got in with their bread grains?

You can't get fat eating real food, in small amounts.

Food...eat a variety of it, in natural states. Enjoy it. Snub fake food as much as possble (she said thinking of Pringles). I always worry when people get sucked into food dogma, kwim. It's good to know the whole story. (As much as we can). People embraced TV dinners and Karo syrup baby formula as health food in the 50's. We need to be careful, and keep our heads about us. We need think about what food is...what it can do and what it cannot do. Let's not get sucked in again and again. Common sense goes a long way. There is no one single way to eay for all people to find health.

Kneading bread and watching it rise is meditation. Chop oinions, boil water, knead bread. That's it. That's my life philosophy. lol :D

Edited by LibraryLover

"Anyway, we were watching those lunch ladies, all of whom were over 40, and couldn't believe that they were raised on crap. They are of the generation where their moms cooked, and they ate actual food. That saying "If you walk into a grocery store and pick something off the shelf, put it back if your grandmother wouldn't recognize it" springs to mind. Somewhere, back in their personal histories and experiences, these lunch women MUST know better. "

Careful...I am fifty and I was raised on processed junk and Mcdonalds. My folks knew no better than to open a can or a box, or a package of hotdogs or balogna. Not sure why...but I did not learn about nutrition until I went away to college in the late 70's. And thank God for that. My folks eat well now...but those years of junk took a toll on my health.

Cheap wine keeps many a poor person alive...me thinks(sorry, just joking here....I am quite fond of wine)

I am not sure that was funny ha -ha, but it was intersting.

Why are full-fat yougurt, cheese, and milk -consuming Scandinavians so tall and thin? Did the dried and salted fish they ate as they conquered the seas make them fat? ;) (Just threw that out apropos of nada).

How much olive oil did Odysseus and his ilk consume? Aren't the molars of some mummy-teeth ground down because sand got in with their bread grains?

You can't get fat eating real food, in small amounts.

Food...eat a variety of it, in natural states. Enjoy it. Snub fake food as much as possble (she said thinking of Pringles). I always worry when people get sucked into food dogma, kwim. It's good to know the whole story. (As much as we can). People embraced TV dinners and Karo syrup baby formula as health food in the 50's. We need to be careful, and keep our heads about us. We need think about what food is...what it can do and what it cannot do. Let's not get sucked in again and again. Common sense goes a long way. There is no one single way to eay for all people to find health.

Kneading bread and watching it rise is meditation. Chop oinions, boil water, knead bread. That's it. That's my life philosophy. lol :D

For me the question has always been...but do you chop onions? I have met so many women who never cut up, or even buy, onions. They do not know how to cook with an onion! One of the earth's best foods!

I am not a purist in any sense, but I have taught my children about eating by playing the food-not food game while walking through the grocery store. Is it food? Was it grown? Or was it made in a factory? then it is not food. simple.

People are asking how to start. You start by chopping oinons and gently heating a good fruity cold pressed olive oil :D.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

For me the question has always been...but do you chop onions? I have met so many women who never cut up, or even buy, onions. They do not know how to cook with an onion! One of the earth's best foods!

I am not a purist in any sense, but I have taught my children about eating by playing the food-not food game while walking through the grocery store. Is it food? Was it grown? Or was it made in a factory? then it is not food. simple.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have met so many women who never cut up, or even buy, onions. They do not know how to cook with an onion! One of the earth's best foods!

:001_huh: Say it isn't so! Seriously????? Never??? :svengo:

I don't know why I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this idea.

Cat, who loves fresh onions so much that I just planted over a hundred onions on Saturday. (It's like planting threads. But totally worth it.)