Menu

Feedback- What are you using for 5th grade curriculum?

Maddysmom26

Okay so I thought I would try this approach because my other thread didnt give me as much feedback as I would of liked! :) ( although I did get a few helpful repsonses, thank you)

Im new to this entire home school approach! Im wondering if you have a child in 5th grade or going into 5th grade, if you could share your curriculum with me so I can get an idea of what it should be like.

Please note being completely new to this, Im not understanding all the abbreviations etc. that people are using here on all the threads. So if you can be specific that would help.

I really appreciate everyones help! :) thank you again!

Lindsay

I'm in the throes of planning for fifth grade next year. Here's what I've got so far, bearing in mind I have no idea how fast dd will move through whatever I give her for math...

Language Arts: Michael Clay Thompson's LA (can be found at Royal Fireworks Press), Voyage level - this covers poetry, vocabulary, grammar, and writing instruction. We will add in some type of spelling coverage - at this point, probably All About Spelling Level 6.

Literature: pulled primarily from the WTM list for 5th & 6th grades. narrations evolving into "literary response" papers as the year goes on.

Mathematics: tentative plans are Art of Problem Solving's Introduction to Number Theory, followed by Life of Fred Advanced Algebra. Maybe Art of Problem Solving's Introduction to Counting & Probability. Yeah, dd is nowhere near typical here, and I don't know if this will go quickly or slowly or what.

Science: PLATO Middle School Science + corresponding CPO texts, and experiments pulled from the list of kits in WTM. We're also going to read through Science Matters and watch The Joy of Science lectures from the Teaching Company, and play with the history of science via Hakim's Story of Science series and DK's Science: The Definitive Visual Guide. Dd loves science, so again, no idea what we'll cover or not. I also want to do a focus on evolution & genetics. It's all sort of loosey-goosey.

History: We decided to do a three-year rotation for middle school, with a year of American History in 8th grade (the only year dd will end up doing exclusively US history in her K-12 years). So she'll cover history from "the beginning" through mid-medieval-ish times, using DK's History: The Definitive Visual Guide, plus various other resources (David Macaulay, Eyewitness books, The World in Ancient Times set, Famous Men books, primary sources).

Latin: Latin Prep 1 from Galore Park

Logic: Critical Thinking 1 & 2 via online class.

Art: Skills via Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Appreciation using DK's Art.

Music: private lessons, participation in homeschool band, music history using Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History & suggested CDs in it.

Computer Skills: typing, basic skills, maybe some workshops @ the Apple store, since we're Mac ppl. :)

We're moving to a rotating four times a week schedule; school five days a week but each subject just four days a week (and some of the above are one-day-a-week subjects).

For my dd for 5th next year we will use:

Math and Reading/Literature: Christian Light Educ Math level 500 and Reading 5 & 6

Spelling: Megawords

Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing

Language Arts: we're doing Classical Conversations next year and will do Essentials of English Language through that program

Science: Ecology, Astronomy and Physical Science through various sources and living books

History/Geography/Timeline: Pre-Reformation through Modern using Mystery of History, Child's History of the World, Famous Men of ... and various living books, notebooking pages, lapbooks, research projects

Art: studying Impressionists and possibly using Atelier

Music: composer study and music theory using a Recorder and Classics for Kids

Latin: Latin for Children A

Bible: we will work on memorizing Ephesians 6 throughout the year and also memorizing our catechism from our church

Spanish: still looking for the right resource to continue our Spanish study

Edited by i.love.lucy

My fifth grader this fall:

Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics

Science: Singapore My Pals are Here Science or working with older sister

History: Memoria Press Famous Men of Middle Ages or working with older sister

English: Michael C. Thompson grammar and Galore Park - So You Really Want to Learn English

French: Memoria Press - First Start French (second half)

Literature: Memoria Press - Adam of the Road, King Arthur, Robin Hood and Hobbit or working with older sister

Latin - online

Geography - online

Religion - online

Guitar lessons

Our 5th grade year (started some of the material in Jan but will spread it out so it lasts until next spring):

Math

Singapore 4b/5a

Rod and Staff 4-5 for review

History

Oak Meadow 5 but we are focusing on the presidents and have a timeline that has a page for each president. We will be learning about what was going on for each one's term. (My dd requested this and it was quite a bit of work to put together.)

Science

Oak Meadow 5

Grammar

Oak Meadow 5 exercises and some writing assignments & projects

Notebooking sentence analysis terms

Spelling

Spell to Write and Read

Latin

Lively Latin

Lapbooks

child-led

Reading

she chooses the books she wants to read

I think it will be a good year.:001_smile:

My daughter is in 5th grade this year.

Saxon 8/7

Henle Latin 1

Rod & Staff English 7

Nature Study

Famous Men of the Middle Ages; John H. Haaren

Reading List

- Tales From the Mabinogian; Gwyn Thomas and Kevin Crossley-Holland

- Druids, Gods & Heroes from Celtic Mythology; Anne Ross

- King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table; Howard Pyle

- The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood; Howard Pyle

- Beowulf

- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

- Hamlet; Shakespeare

- KJV Bible

Dance

Piano

There are so many things that I would like to incorporate. My big challenge will be to not "pile it on". So I'm still investigating lots of stuff and would like to use lots of stuff, but I may need to pare some of this down. Here's my working list for next year:

Math: Singapore 5A/5B with Challenging Word Problems. Have Life of Fred Fractions which I will peruse and we will possibly do that too. And if we love it we could add the Decimals one too. We also review with Horizons 5.

Science: Will be Chemistry, probably Ellen McHenry's Elements, maybe paired with RS4K level 1 Chem or maybe paired with McHenry's Carbon Chem.

History: We cycle back to Ancients. We will base our studies on Biblioplan. I am now trying to decide how much I want to use the Famous Men books (Biblioplan schedules some) and the Greenleaf Guides to Famous men. So still tweaking here. Bible study will be incorporated into history. Also looking at some Home School in the Woods stuff (maps and timeline).

Latin: Latin for Children C

Spanish: Spanish for Children B when the book AND DVD are available.

Greek: We've got the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker coming. After that, we'll decide if we want to add Greek studies to the mix.

Language Arts: Still trying to figure out how much of this can really be done, what to drop, etc., but all of this will be in my house I think and we will do some mix:

Rod and Staff spelling 6

Rod and Staff grammar 6

MCT Town level package (doing some now, so over a year and a half)

CW Homer A

Art: Looking at Draw Squad to learn some drawing basics in a fun style.

My fifth grade dd is currently using:

Rod and Staff Grammar

Life of Fred

Writing Strands 3 & 4

Draw and Write Through History (Creation through Jonah)

Spelling Power

Math on the Level

Life of Fred Fractions

Fallacy Detective

Ancient History

Biology

First Form Latin

Here's what I have planned so far for next year (subject to change, though!). All of the materials that I choose are (in my opinion) pretty easy to teach, and also, by necessity, affordable.

MATH - MEP Math (Mathematics Enhancement Programme. This is a free online math program that you can download and print out. And it's really well designed, we love it!)

LATIN - We've been using Latin Prep (Galore Park), but plan to add Lingua Latina next year as well. Latin Prep is a really good program that emphasizes translation and grammar. We're adding LL because it emphasizes reading.

ENGLISH - So You Really Want to Learn English Book 1 (also published by Galore Park). We've used their Junior English book and really like it. Covers a variety of topics like reading comprehension, writing, grammar, word roots, etc. It's nice for me because it's open and go, requires no planning on my part.

CLASSICS - We're going to try Famous Men of Greece using Memoria Press' study guide. I haven't used any of their materials before, so I can't say much about it. But the samples look good.

HISTORY - Haven't decided yet. We'll just pick some books from www.mainlesson.com (free, again!), I will read them aloud and my daughter will narrate back to me what she learned and understood from what I read. I try to use interesting narrative type books and biographies for this rather than textbooks.

SCIENCE - We're going to try out Ellen McHenry's units on Chemistry. (http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id25.html)

LITERATURE - We'll read A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, and The Hobbit. These are the suggested readings for 5th grade in The Latin-Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell.

For my 5th graders next year:

(we are off 'schedule' on our math and english, and will finish books mid-year so I have two listed for those)

Sonlight Core 5

Sonlight Science 5

Rod and Staff English 4 (and 5 when we finish 4)

Saxon Math 6/5 (and 7/6 when we finish 6/5)

Spelling on my own

I also use parts of Sonlight's Language Arts for extra writing assignments.

Art and Music History using History Scribe and Library books

Tell Me More Spanish

Hey Andrew Teach me some Greek!

Last year, for fifth grade, I used:

Memoria Press Christian Studies II (last half of the book), plus various books on etiquette and moral stories, etc.

Singapore 5

Math-U-See Delta

(and over summer, Zaccarro's Real World Math)

Spelling Workout G

WordSmith Apprentice

Abeka level B

Getty-Dubay (F? maybe) and then copywork by Julie Shields that went along with SOTW I

I also used some other miscellaneous workbooks to cover dictionary skills, study skills, etc.

For geography, I used one of the Holling Clancy Holling books, Paddle to the Sea, I believe, along with a study guide and maps put out by Beautiful Feet that go along with that. I think I also used some maps skills books, too.

I put together a notebook of literary analysis info and worksheets that I pulled from online and used that, along with a book about world myths as a spine to study mythology for the year.

I put together my own history and science studies (Ancients/Biology), using a lot of WTM recs, living books, things I pulled from online, etc.

I used Latin Primer I for Latin studies. I used a program called Espanol Para Chicos y Ninos for Spanish (I really wouldn't recommend it, however).

My son read books tied to his history and science studies throughout the year.

That's all I can recall of last year (I'm old, LOL)! Hope that helps some,

Oh my goodness, many, many things. ;) The way we use curricula is a little different than others here, though. I don’t always require that dd finish everything and so therefore we have certain curricula that we use only portions of. (like history, writing, and science) And it’s also impossible to list all of the self directed studies and library books that dd partakes of, but I’ll try to list curricula:

Required to finish-

Megawords Spelling (almost done-self paced)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (almost finished)

Wordsmith Apprentice (had to stop her on this one-almost finished)

Abeka Grammar (minus the writing)

Teaching Textbooks 7

Life of Fred math

Finished-

Mc Henry’s The Elements (we returned to this after leaving it a few years prior)

Many self directed science studies

experiments

Portions of Usborne Science Encyclopedia (notes and drawings)

Our own US history and ancients study (first half of the year)

Not required to complete and some self paced-

SL 3+4 US History

Genevieve Foster books for MA, Famous Men of Middle Ages

Mindbenders (on CD- she’s not doing this much lately-)

IEW Writing (I think she will finish -she loves it)

SL LA- mainly using this for some dictation and the writing

“WTM†Writing- (our own version- summaries and outlining)

Book reports, a research report

Outlining Workbook

Composer study- from the library

AO literature w/ narrations and vocabulary pulled from them

Art- weekly, almost daily

Piano

Latin- Getting Started with Latin

Spanish- La Clase Divertida w/ younger siblings (and some others I can’t remember, plus an additional Spanish workbook and a book to read)

Could be it, not sure. :confused:;) Have fun choosing! :)

This was my first year homeschooling all of my kids. This is a synopsis of what my son has done this year.

Children's Illustrated Bible (read a story a day with discussion)

SotW Ancients and History Odyssey 2

WWE level 3

IEW Ancient History Based Writing

Math U See, completed Gamma starting Delta

RS4K Biology level 1

Latin for Children, Primer A

Greek Code Cracker

First Language Lessons Level 4

Classics for Kids, Story of the Orchestra

Prufrock Press Logic workbook

Social Studies: The Material World, Children Just Like Me

Read Alouds: The Golden Goblet, The Iliad, Greek myths, Aesop's Fables, and more..

Reading: The Odyssey (Mary Pope Osborne series) plus lots of free reading, weekly library trips

I have a 5th grader right now:

Latin: Latina Christiana 1

Math: Singapore Math 5

Composition: Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons

History/ Literature/ Geography/ Bible: Tapestry of Grace (using some upper grammar and some dialectice literature)

Grammar: Growing with Grammar 5

Spelling: All About Spelling 5

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000

Science: Sonlight 4

Electives: Critical Thinking Press books, typing

Art Lessons from my great uncle in law

various sports/activities for physical education

HTH

Math: MUS Epsilon/Strayer-Upton

Latin: First Form

Bible: It All Begins in Genesis (worldview curriculum)

Spelling:Spelling Wisdom (love, love, love this)

History: Medieval (MOH II, SOTW 2, parallel read-alouds and independent reading)

Writing: ala SWB outlining and summarizing from SOTW, Guerber histories)

Geography: Europe (to coincide with Medieval studies)

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Electives: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens

Memorization: Poems

Shakespeare study: Twelfth Night and Reader's Theatre

Edited by Debbie in OR
forgot something

Thank you everyone for your great feedback!

Ive been researching for hours upon hours! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed by the massive amount of information out there!

Its so hard being new and not seeing the books/workbooks in person.

For you saxon math users.. Do you think that it would be to boring for a child that struggles with math, and really dislikes it? I read that the books are kind of basic black/white format?

thanks again for all your feedback! :)

I'm coming a little late to this party :), but wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread. I'm working on our 5th grade schedule for next year and I'm finding a great deal of good information here.

Our schedule so far:

History: Kingfisher and History Odyssey Level 2

Math: Math U See Zeta and Life of Fred Decimals and Percents

Grammar: Michael Clay Thompson or Rod & Staff 5

Writing: Writing with Ease 4

Spelling: Rod and Staff 5 (love how rigorous this is, but wish it was secular)

Literature: From the WTM and MCT reading lists

Logic: Critical Thinking

Science: Unsure. I'm looking at Oak Meadow and GEMS

Latin: Unsure. I'm leaning towards Galore Park, though.

Music: Piano lessons

PE: Swim team

Art: Unsure. I like the look of Atelier, but don't know if it will fit into our budget this year.

I've been calling my dd 4th this year, so that will make her 5th next year, yikes! She has a Dec birthday, so she's a bit young. Writing is our weakest link, I think.

Math: Singapore 5a/b, CWP, Math Detective, Math Mosaics, Code Crackers

Grammar: finish/MCT Grammar Island/move into Town

Writing: WWE4, MCT Sentence Island, Story Grammar for Elementary (which seems like sentence writing more than grammar to me...)

Poetry: MCT Building Poems and that IEW Poetry memorization program (forget name)

Vocab: MCT Caesar's English I, Word Roots

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

History: K12 Human Odyssey Ancients plus lots of extra reading, documentaries, field trips, timeline, maps

Science: Earth Science w/ either Mr. Q or PH Science Explorer, then Ellen McHenry's Elements, Science Detective

Logic: Grid Perplexors

German: German Sat. School

Spanish: Spanish the Easy Way

Music: Piano

PE: Tae Kwon Do, Volleyball

I just finished purchasing curriculum for my dd who will be in the 5th grade next year.

Bible : Show Me Thy Ways 5

Math: Singapore Math 6A/6B and Life of Fred: Decimals and Percents

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 6

Spelling: Rod and Staff Spelling by Sound and Structure 6

Writing: Combination of Writing With Ease 4 and Michael Clay Thompson's Paragraph Town

Vocabulary: Caesar's English 2

History/Geography/Literature: Tapestry of Grace Year 2

Science: Ellen McHenry - The Elements and Carbon Chemistry

Latin: Continuing with Latina Christiana 2 for the first part of the year...need to pick something to use after that

Art: Artpac 5 from Rod and Staff

So far we are thinking about:

CLE: Bible, Math, Reading

R&S social studies (as a spine) plus appropriate American history read alouds

R&S science

R&S spelling

Growing With Grammar

English from the Roots Up

Piano lessons, (and possibly another instrument?)

For grade 5 ds will do:

Singapore Math 5B through 6B, Life of Fred Decimals, CWP and hopefully some MEP in the summer (we do a lot of math)

Rod and Staff English (already have it, so hope it works as well for him as for my dd's)

Story of the World

RS4K (already have it since my middle dd did this)

possibly Writeshop, if he's finished Wordsmith Apprentice

Latin Primer (bought this when we first started before hearing of the things you usually hear about on these forums)

Rosetta Stone German

Phys Ed Swimming & tap, & possibly he'll try soccer although he'll be 10

There are other things, but it's all downstairs and I'm not that busy planning his stuff yet.

Edited by Karin

Language Arts: (two options here, depending on what we decide about MCT)

Michael Clay Thomas (all except poetry book)

Megawords 1 & 2

Writing With Ease 3

IEW's Poetry

Historical ficiton to go with History Odyssey Ancients 2

OR

Grammar: FLL 4

Spelling: Megawords 1 & 2

Reading: Historical fiction to go with History Odyssey Ancients Level 2

Writing: Writing With Ease 3

Poetry: IEW's Poetry

Math:

Singapore 4

Life of Fred Fractions

History: History Odyssey Ancients Level 2

Science: Exploration Education OR McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry

Foreign Lang:

Latin For Children Primer B

Learnables French ??

Logic: Mindbenders, Grid Perplexers, Logic Countdown

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study

Fine Arts:

Trombone and choir at music co-op

Atelier Art over the summer (level 4 in 2010, Level 5 in 2011)

We are planning to start schooling year-round this year (so if it looks like a lot that's why).

So far:

English: Rod and Staff English 5

Spelling: Spelling Workout level E/F

Writing: WWE 3 & Evan-Moor's Writing Fabulous Sentences and Paragraphs

Handwriting: Cursive Copywork from Startwrite

Math: Singapore Math 4A & B + Saxon 65 Might get to 5A by spring.

US History: Sonlight Core 4 History reading + read-alouds

World History: History Odyssey Ancients level 2

Science: My Pals are Here 5/6 + books and experiment that look interesting.

PE: probably co-op class and gymnastics

Art: Meet the Masters

Music: She wants to take violin so we'll have to check into that

Latin: Possibly...

Edited by darlasowders

I am still working on this, but here is what I have so far:

Spelling: ? (I would like to switch from Spelling Workout...but to what?)

Vocabulary: Caesar’s English 1

Language/Grammar: Learning Language through Literature or So You Really Want to Learn English (we did Junior AG this year and loved it, so next year we will use something else before going on with AG in 6th grade)

Writing: Classical Writing Homer A

Reading: History books from SOTW

Math: Saxon 5/6

Logic: Mind Benders & Red Herrings

History: Story of the World, Vol 4: The Modern Age

Science: McHenry’s: The Elements & Carbon Chemistry

Latin: Continue Latina Christiana I, move onto LCII

Language: either Greek with Greek Alphabet Code Cracker or Spanish with Begin Getting Started With Spanish

Artist Study: she will choose one to study throughout the year

Composer Study: she will choose one to study throughout the year

Our 5th grade is in my signature, but I will elaborate a bit more here.

Monday: CLE Math, Phonics (remedial for my ds who did not learn to read by phonics in ps), R&S History, R&S Spelling, CLE Bible, Poetry/Copywork, States and Capitals workbook, R&S Reading, R&S English, Read Aloud.

Tuesday: CLE Math, R&S Science, R&S History, R&S Spelling, CLE Bible, Poetry/Copywork, Typing Instructor for Kids, R&S Reading, R&S English, Read Aloud.

Wednesday: Same as Tuesday, but replace "States and Capitals" workbook with Music Lessons.

Thursday: This is co-op day, so we have a short day at home, and take 2 hours worth of classes at co-op. Co-op classes are art and US Geography. Our work for the day is CLE Math, Phonics, History, and English.

Friday: CLE Math, Phonics, R&S History, R&S Spelling, CLE Bible, Poetry/Copywork, Draw Write Now, R&S Reading, R&S English, Read Aloud.

Edited by Tree House Academy

My daughter is currently in 5th grade. I should mention she's only doing a one year pullout from the public schools so that did impact my curriculum choices in a variety of ways. For instance, I would never recommend Everyday Math, but we're using it because she needed to stay on track with the sequence.

History: US History Early Explorers through 1900. Harcourt Brace Social Studies Grade 5 and History of US by Joy Hakim as spine texts that I read aloud, along with one historical novel going at all times. Supplemented with field trips to historic sites, DVDs, some geography, plus activities. She loves the PBS History Detectives series so we try and catch that on TV during the week.

Spelling/Vocabulary: seven words per week selected by me from the novels she’s reading. Day 1 she looks them up using the thesaurus on Microsoft Word. Day 2 she looks the definitions up online at Merriam-Webster. Day 3 she writes the words in a sentence. Day 4 she does some kind of vocabulary practice activity, plus practices writing out the words. Day 5 is a vocab and spelling quiz.

Writing/Grammar:

IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing)—attends class 1 day/week, assignments 1 day/week

Easy Grammar Grade 5 2-3x/week

Variety of writing assignments that I come up with—short research projects, journal entries, creative writing, etc. This quarter we’ll be using Don’t Forget to Write by 826 Valencia for topic ideas.

Daily Reading: Selections from a list of books compiled by literature-loving moms.

Math—Everyday Mathematics, with extra practice worksheets found online, Singapore Math Practice 4A/4B, and Math Minutes Grade 6 by Creative Teaching Press.

Science—Topics from Scott Foresman Grade 5 Diamond edition. She always hated science in public school so I decided to go very heavy with DVD’s plus labs I come up with from various sources instead of traditional text/ worksheets/tests. Our library has all the Bill Nye DVD’s so he does most of the guest lecturing around here, but I also use some Nexflix DVD’s and HowStuffWorks online video clips. This quarter I plan for us to read With a Little Luck Surprising Stories of Amazing Discoveries by Dennis Brindell Fradin

Dance 4.5 hours per week

Music—60 minute private instrumental lesson, 120 minutes band at the public school

Just wondering why you would not recomend everyday math??

Im trying to decide which math to use for 5th next year. Shes not a math lover, so it needs to be colorful and fun. From what i hear saxon math is black white and very basic, which im concerned would bore her to much.

This is our 5th grade plans so far:

Reading-Learning Language Arts through Literature along with a reading list from Learn at Home 5

Handwriting-Can do Cursive Handwriting without Tears

Spelling-Spelling Workout E

Grammar-Grammar Usage and Mechanics by Zaner Bloser

Science-Abeka Investigating God's World

Math-Saxon 6/5

History-Christian Liberty Press's Exploring American History

Art-R&S Artpac

PE-team sports

Geography-Maps, Charts, and Graphs Level E

Logic-Critical Thinking Skills Level E by Steck Vaughn

Vocabulary-Wordly Wise 2

I am debating about trying to combine my 3 kids into a Sonlight history core though so history might change.

Im trying to decide which math to use for 5th next year. Shes not a math lover, so it needs to be colorful and fun. From what i hear saxon math is black white and very basic, which im concerned would bore her to much.

Well, so far I haven't seen anything colourful for grade 5 math, but someone else might have. We're not Saxon fans here, although I know there are those who like it.

What's your dd's learning style? That would be the biggest factor I'd work on. Is she visual? My most vs learner has done well with a combination of Singapore Math & MUS. SM uses bar diagrams which are visual The MUS manipulatives are colourful, but it's not graded, so you'd have to choose what you needed by doing a pretest. I wouldn't suddenly switch to SM 5A if you've never done any SM before, but would start with 4 and work through it first. However, I do want to say that my dc are mathy and if my dc have a challenge with something, they are also learning it elsewhere. If your dd struggles with math concepts, MUS is great for helping dc with things, particularly if they are visual.

Is your dd into books, creative writing & reading? (of course, she could be visual & into that.) Has she mastered addition, subtraction, multiplication and division? If so, I highly recommend Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals. If you buy the book and she's the only one to use it, she can colour in the pictures herself (the Beginning Algebra book says so!!! In the Fractions book it says that if you buy a book with your own money, it's okay to write in it.) The story of Fred is funny, and the author relates math to real life and includes literary, English & other things.

Does she like a challenge and something a bit different? MEP, which is free except for the cost of printer paper & ink, is challenging but has some fun games you play from time to time. You have to print the Teacher's part to get the games, answers, etc.

We do a lot of math, because I feel math is very important and that we live in a mathematically innumerate society. My dc tend to be mathy, and two of them are science-oriented, so that affects what we do. All of my dc are currently doing LoF, but at different levels. Correction, my eldest did LoF as her main Geometry text last semester (she's doing semesters for high school for most of her subjects), but my middle one, who is doing LoF Beginning Algebra, is also doing TT Algebra 1 because she likes it (my eldest loathed it and I personally wouldn't do it as my main text with my particular dc; I don't have the DVD, but someday I might buy it for my ds). My ds is doing SM, CWP & LoF at the moment. I find it helps their understanding of math a great deal. Most likely there are people who think I'm a bit overzealous in math (or just plain crazy ;)), but even my artistic, history loving dd is doing well with math, so it's paying off. ( in case she ever reads this, my eldest is also artistic, but she's a science lover.)

I haven't tried every math program there is, although sometimes I feel like I've tried most of the Algebra 1 ones:glare::tongue_smilie:. What I've found with math was once I learned who has dc who learn math similar to my dc that helped a great deal. For high school, I found a number of "math gurus" who have helped me a great deal (just for my eldest so far.) I have also found that different people help me more in different subjects, and that with each of my dc, those people aren't always the same ones, which is why it's helpful to hear from so many people and to have these forums.

Grammar: Abeka 5 and Queen's Language Lessons for Secondary vol 1

Spelling: Power

reading: DITHOR

History: BF Early American and Westward Expansion

Science: BJu 5 first semester, Flying Creatures 2nd

math: finished Saxon 54 in the 1st quarter then started Saxon 65

art: Artistic Pursuits

geography: Around the World in 180 Days

writing: MC

Bible--Training Hearts, Teaching Minds (based on the shorter catechism)

Math--Math U See and Life of Fred

Grammar--FLL 4

Poetry--IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Writing--IEW

History--Veritas Press 6, 1815-Present

Spelling/Reading--Barton

Science--Apologia Human Body

Latin--Latin Christiana

Shes very smart actually and kind of an out of the box learner! Shes done overall very well in PS but gets bored and tired of the same old routine. I just feel she would benefit more from individualized plan at her own pace. She actually does pretty well in math < there were a few times she struggled and became frustrated but overall I think that was the teacher, and at times disliked it because it was first thing in the morning and shes not a morning person. She really does well visual and hands on. soaks up any info like a sponge!

ixl.com was recommended and I love that site and think that will be great for her! As well it has the NY standards so that will be helpful, but Im just trying to find a basic text to go along with it.

she loves online learning games etc. This will be our first year homeschooling starting sept. so this is all completely new! At times I feel overwhelmed and wonder what im getting into. Theres just an overload of materials available, and without being able to physically see them and review it seems hard to choose what to use! Life of fred really looked like something she would love but seemed way out of my price range.

Shes loves reading and writing stories,comics etc.,science experiments and is she extremely creative , loves to draw & Paint! I will be doing the art lessons as Im currently in college for an Art ed degree, so that is exciting for me!

Shes just very use to PS curriculum so I need to make the transition a positive one for her. I dont want to overwhelm her with strange material. Shes very much into the idea of homeschooling and couldnt be happier!

I plan on doing lots of field trips etc. Im sure she will do well, Its just I want to be sure Im doing it right for the state! Shes always up for a challenge, basically she loves to learn !

Have you looked at Horizons Math? Or what about Teaching Textbooks? (go up one to two levels with this one)

Also, please consider Life of Fred as a fun supplement. My very visual fifth grader loves Life of Fred and Teaching Textbooks.

I hope you find something she likes. :)

These are my plans for 5th grade for my DD.

Math: Math-U-See Delta/Epsilon

Life of Fred Fractions

History: Finish Biblioplan Ancients and begin Medieval, Ren & Ref

Science: formal studies at co-op, nature study/notebooking at home

Language Arts: We are remediating spelling, so are using Phonics Road. She should be through Levels 1 & 2 by the end of summer and hopefully we can finish level 3 in 5th grade, maybe start level 4. Phonics Road encompasses all areas of LA, but we may add Writing Tales back into our schedule after we get her confidence in spelling built up.

Fine Arts are Charlotte Mason inspired with Poetry, Hymn & Picture Study, Folk Songs etc.

Assigned reading will be based off of the Ambleside Online lit suggestions and readings from our history studies!

Guest Rosieapple

This is our first year following the Well Trained Mind and my DD is really enjoying the interest areas. For 5th grade we are doing the following:

Maths - MUS Epsilon/Zeta plus lots of mental maths

English - Homer A and Poetry B (includes grammar)

Spelling - Spelling Essentials

History - SOTW 2 , outlining with additional resource and timeline

Music- BF History of Classical Music plus piano lessons

Logic - Mindbenders 3A, 4A and Critical Thinking Book 2, thinking about Red Herring Mysteries...

Geography - Rand McNally Intermediate Book plus Geography Flashcards plus Mapping skills (just doing a little bit extra compared to WTM incorporating into History)

Art - How Great Thou Art plus Art Masterpieces Lapbook

Computer Studies - Logo Adentures

French - Rosetta Stone Level 2

Latin - So you Really want to know latin Book 1

In addition Tennis Lessons (twice a week) and Ice-Skating (5 times a week)

I think that's everything...

Guest Rosieapple

Oops!

In the above I said we were doing Critical Thinking 2, just a little adventurous... I meant to say Building Thinking Skills 2.

Thanks

Having made every possible mistake in my first year of homeschooling, the best advice I can give is to keep it simple the first year. Choose easy-to-use curricula, focus on the basics, and stay flexible. You can always add things in, once you find your groove, but if you try to do too much to begin with, you can end up overwhelmed and discouraged. (Ask me how I know...) :tongue_smilie:

My recommendation for an easy-to-use, academically solid, and fun 5th grade program would be:

Math: Math Mammoth Light Blue Series 5A/B and Life of Fred

Math Mammoth (MM) is a very thorough, rigorous math program, similar to Singapore but (in my opinion) easier to use ~ it was designed specifically for homeschoolers. It's colorful (assuming you print it in color), it's self-teaching (written to the student), it emphasizes conceptual understanding & mental math, and the explanations are really really good. It's also inexpensive and very easy to use ~ it's all-in-one, no separate textbook, workbook, teacher's guide, etc. And it comes with free software for generating extra worksheets & tests.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/grade_5.php

The Life of Fred (LoF) books on Fractions and Decimals/Percents are great supplements, and really fun:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html

BTW, both authors (Maria Miller/MM and Stanley Schmidt/LoF) are very friendly, helpful and accessible by email if questions arise.

English: Michael Clay Thompson Island or Town level Grammar/Vocabulary/Writing/Poetics

MCT may look different from most language arts programs, but it's actually easy to use once you get the hang of it and it's fun for kids! It fully integrates grammar, vocabulary, writing, and poetics, which I think is a big advantage (especially for a new homeschooler) over using four separate programs from different companies. There have been dozens of threads on this program lately, just search the board for "MCT." There is also a yahoo group, which includes the author & publisher, for additional support.

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

Science: PLATO/CyberEd and/or CPO Science textbook

I would do the CyberEd and CPO Earth Science courses, since it's the easiest, but you could also do Life Science if that's a stronger interest, or do all three CyberEd courses and save the CPO texts for 6th-8th. Or just do the CyberEd Earth Science combined with DK books on Rocks & Minerals, Earthquakes & Volcanoes, etc. The advantage of the CyberEd course is that it's all online (including quizzes & grading) and feels like a computer game. I like the CPO texts for their "clean" layout and very clear (but not dumbed-down) explanations, as well as all the free teacher resources on the website. You can find like-new copies of the CPO texts and teacher's guides inexpensively on Amazon, ebay, and other used book sites.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1024

http://www.cpo.com/home/ForStudents/MiddleSchoolEarthScience/tabid/246/Default.aspx

Other programs that many people here like include R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey:

http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

and Mr Q Classic Science (the Life Science is free):

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

(NOTE: These are secular materials; if you want science from a specifically Christian perspective, other posters can better advise you.)

History: Ancient History, K12 or Kingfisher/Usborne

The WTM book recommends doing Ancients in 5th, so that you'll finish the 4-yr cycle with Modern in 8th, which makes a lot of sense. The WTM way to do history for "Logic Stage" (5th-8th) is to use the Kingfisher or Usborne History Encyclopedia as a spine, and supplement with additional books and resources. Personally, I prefer more of a narrative, and I really like The Human Odyssey by K12. It's well-illustrated and very readable & engaging ~ your DD could read it herself if she's a strong reader, or you could do it as a read-aloud. You can find Volume 1 (Ancient to Early Medieval) second-hand, usually for around $30 (although it's hard to find at the moment because there was a recent discussion about it here, and most of the cheap used copies sold out!). Here's a description of it; to find a used copy just google the ISBN:

http://www.k12.com/courses/textbooks-products/

Languages: Elementary Spanish (Discovery Streaming)

Obviously you'll do whatever language appeals to you, but if you're interested in Spanish, Discovery Streaming has an excellent video course created by Northern Arizona University. The 5th/6th grade level has 100 lessons, which can be done over 1 year or 2, and it includes lots of free teacher resources, printable worksheets, etc. Plus Discovery Streaming has 1000s of other videos and resources for science, history, and other subjects, so it's well worth the price IMO.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1038

If you're interested in more info about any of the above curricula, just search the (K-8) board (MM, LoF, MCT or MCTLA, CPO) and/or start a new thread about it. Or feel free to PM me. :001_smile:

Jackie

For personal comments and more details about the specific curriculum I've listed, here's a link to my blog describing what we are doing this year for my dd's 5th grade lessons.

Now here's the short version:

Tapestry of Grace - includes history, geography, Bible and worldview, literature, & composition (via TOG Writing Aids program that we also purchased). We chose Yr. 1 for this year, which covers ancient history. (BTW, we will be using Yr. 2 for 6th grade.)

Easy Grammar 5 - Dd is sailing through this grammar program, but we would go back to Shurley Grammar as a second choice.

Spelling Power - This is a buy-once curriculum, then you use it all through school. We're tried a couple other spelling programs and this one is the best for our needs. Very easy once you get through the initial instructions.

Teaching Textbooks 6 - Math with a teacher in the box! :) Dd loves this math program and is progressing nicely.

Latin for Children B - Second year Latin instruction, again with a teacher in the box! :)

We are also involved with a co-op that uses A.C.E. curriculum for general science supplemented with lots of hands-on projects, experiments, videos and field trips. I am not the teacher. Instead, I teach art to the co-op students.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We are doing 5th grade this year but it has been a very abnormal year for us. Three days into our school year, I discovered that I had cancer. This put all of my plans on hold. So my plans for history and science did not work out the way that I had hoped. We ended up doing more of a unit study approach for the content subjects.

Math: MUS finished up Delta and has started Epsilon

Grammar: Mother Tongue Bk II (this is an out of print early 20th century grammar book.

Writing: Classical Writing Homer A and Poetry for Beginners A

Latin: Latin Christiana I

Literature: Ambleside Online Yr. 5

History & Science: unit studies

Extras: Bullfinch's Age of Mythology, Poetry: Rudyard Kipling, Longfellow, Shakespear's Hamlet, Plutarch's Lives.

dd will be 5th grade next year:

Math: CLE 6

Reading: CLE 6

Grammar: Rod & Staff 6

Writing: Rod & Staff and IEW Ancient History Based Writing

Spelling: Spelling Workout H

Latin: Latin for Children A

French: Rosetta Stone

Logic: Mind Benders A1-4

Science: Apologia Land Animals and The Elements Chemistry

History/Geography/Literature: probably Biblioplan Ancients

Music: church and community choirs

Art: ???

Phys. Ed.: swimming, soccer, tennis, basketball

That's all I can think of!

Bible- Self Control devotion

Grammar- Easy Grammar 5th

Spelling- Spelling Power

Reading- Progeny Press Guides

Penmanship - worksheets from www.homeeducationresources.com

Math- Saxon 54 with dive cd

Hisory- History Revealed

Science- Real Science 4 Kids

Art- Draw Write Through History or The Days of Creation

Foreign Lang.- Latin ( still undecided on what program we will be doing)

Hopes this help. God Bless:001_smile:

Edited by doubledutymom
Forgot something

Shes very smart actually and kind of an out of the box learner! Shes done overall very well in PS but gets bored and tired of the same old routine. I just feel she would benefit more from individualized plan at her own pace. She actually does pretty well in math < there were a few times she struggled and became frustrated but overall I think that was the teacher, and at times disliked it because it was first thing in the morning and shes not a morning person. She really does well visual and hands on. soaks up any info like a sponge!

ixl.com was recommended and I love that site and think that will be great for her! As well it has the NY standards so that will be helpful, but Im just trying to find a basic text to go along with it.

I'm not familiar with this one. We don't do much on the computer other than German and learning to type. I tend to prefer the printed page, but this kind of choice is one of the advantages of homeschooling.

she loves online learning games etc. This will be our first year homeschooling starting sept. so this is all completely new! At times I feel overwhelmed and wonder what im getting into. Theres just an overload of materials available, and without being able to physically see them and review it seems hard to choose what to use! Life of fred really looked like something she would love but seemed way out of my price range.

Shes loves reading and writing stories,comics etc.,science experiments and is she extremely creative , loves to draw & Paint! I will be doing the art lessons as Im currently in college for an Art ed degree, so that is exciting for me!

!

If she loves reading, writing stories, etc, I'd consider adding LoF Fractions and Decimals to the online course you're using. You can always take that along in the car, etc, plus it's a lot of fun. I find learning things more than one way helps. If she learns well by reading, you won't have to do much if any teaching with LoF if that's were some of the problems have been.

Whatever you choose, I hope it goes well. There will be challenges, of course, just as there are in any other aspect of raising dc, but there are also rewards.

This is a work in progress...... plans for 5th grade

Math: SM 6A/6B, CWP, RS Geometric Approach, VT A (not sure if we'll do this)

Poetry: MCT 2nd level forget the name of it

Grammar: MCT Grammar Town

Writing: MCT Paragraph Town, Bravewriter course, WWE 3/4, Paragraph Writing Made Easy

Vocabulary: MCT CE1

History: We're starting History Odyssey Ancients level 2 now so we'll continue with that in the Fall, using Kingfisher for important facts, K12 Human Odyssey for outlining, Hakim for additional info if needed

Reading: historical fiction, 3-4 books for analysis (Teaching the Classics)

Science: haven't decided but likely biology perhaps w/ CPO Life Science

Spelling: SWR and How to Teach Spelling

Logic: Mindbenders A1-2, Building Thinking Skills 2, Venn Perplexors

Art: Art classes

Music: Music History book, instrument?

Spanish: not sure what we'll continue w/ here. We've been doing Powerglide Spanish, might switch to Discovery Education

Edited by Capt_Uhura