Menu

Little Gym--I must be crazy...

I took the kiddos for the free introductory class at our local Little Gym. I had no idea how much it costs to enroll or I never would have gone for the freebie. But, now I have a problem. My ds (6yo) has always been pretty timid. There is nothing that he likes to do outside of our home. He is content and joyful at home, but most everything else is a stressor for him. One day he even told me that he did not want to play a particular game because "he did not believe in himself enough to try." He is my thinker/philosopher.

So I drug him to the gymnastics/tumbling class with his sister. I have never seen my little guy so happy and confident. He loved every minute of it and tried things I never thought he would try. He immediately bonded with the three adult instructors and a few of the other children. He showed amazing strength and flexibility. The class was structured perfectly for him to succeed and feel good about his accomplishments. I have never seen another facility that was organized so well.

When we left he actually hugged the instructor and said he couldn't wait to see her next week. Uh--Oh. That confidence and joy that he experienced in 1 hour carried him throughout the day. He even wanted to go to the homeschool park day. He played and played with the other kids. It was a joy to watch.

The problem is that enrolling him would be a huge stretch for us financially. Basically, I would have to spend curriculum money to make it happen. But, I have resources piled up around here that we have never used. With a considerable amount of effort I could meet all the educational goals I have for my little ones without having to spend much at all. It wouldn't be the newest, latest, greatest, open and go kind of thing--but it would suffice.

What do you think? Am I crazy for considering this? I would have to sign dd up also.

But, now I have a problem. My ds (6yo) has always been pretty timid. There is nothing that he likes to do outside of our home. He is content and joyful at home, but most everything else is a stressor for him.

If at 6, this was the first thing outside the home my son had liked and done well at, I would try to make it happen.

My logic-stage kids have always had mostly used and borrowed books and they're used to me constantly selling curriculum as we finish it. We all spend hours on a large garden in the summer (also an educational/personal priority), so it would be hard for us to go away anyway.

Ultimately it's about what is right for your kids, what your priorities are, and how you want to juggle things in your budget. There are times that "delegating" certain activities for your child will take them much further than you can, so you need to do a cost/benefit analysis and consider it part of your overall education plan.

Are there any more "pure" gymnastics gyms in your area? You know - the kind that start in preschool and actually go up to National level. We did the Little Gym trial and found (as you did) that there was no way we could afford it. So we called around and did other trials at more "pure" gyms (I'm using that word because I'm not sure how else to characterize them). It was so much cheaper and my dd liked the instructors and the activities just as much. And since they do give a free trial session you can compare. Then if you find out that only Little Gym will do, you will know that you really did look at other options.

gasp...gasp...This really hurts to say, but for two kiddos one hour a week it is $640 for a 20 week semester. OUCH!! Typing that out just made me rethink the whole thing. (LOL)

First, I'd ask if there are any discounts.. coupons... etc.... (ask around, not necessarily AT the place)

Second, I'm not sure it's a horrible price... it's $16 a lesson...

I've purchased insurance and such... and I can tell you that they aren't making all of that....

:-)

(Like someone else said.... martial arts are good, too...)

Are there any more "pure" gymnastics gyms in your area? You know - the kind that start in preschool and actually go up to National level. We did the Little Gym trial and found (as you did) that there was no way we could afford it. So we called around and did other trials at more "pure" gyms (I'm using that word because I'm not sure how else to characterize them). It was so much cheaper and my dd liked the instructors and the activities just as much. And since they do give a free trial session you can compare. Then if you find out that only Little Gym will do, you will know that you really did look at other options.

That is a very good point. I am going to look around and see what else is available. Then maybe I will feel a little better about it if I end of busting the budget.

First, I'd ask if there are any discounts.. coupons... etc.... (ask around, not necessarily AT the place)

Second, I'm not sure it's a horrible price... it's $16 a lesson...

I've purchased insurance and such... and I can tell you that they aren't making all of that....

:-)

(Like someone else said.... martial arts are good, too...)

Your right. When you price it out its not that bad per lesson. I told the kids if we end up doing it, we cannot stop for drinks and a snack on the way home.

I'm surprsed it is so expensive. Our Little Gym is about $15 a class and it is wonderful!

$15 dollars a class is a lot of money, unfortunately it is fairly standard for classes of that nature. The math on this works out to be $16 a class x 2 = $32 an hour. There's a lot that could be done with $32, it's certainly more than some people get paid hourly. Our local gym runs in the mid $50s for a month worth of classes. You are also only committed one month at a time.

On the same token that it's a lot of money, I also have a son who choses to participate in very little. When he finally found an activity he enjoyed this year, we've done everything possible to make it happen.

Based on your description of your son before and after the class, I would say he *needs* this class more than he needs to learn to read and write, right now.

We've sacrificed a lot more for our kids, but it can very well be that we have more financial means to start with. I can no longer afford Starbucks, nor to upgrade the computers every two years, like we used to. I can't even afford a haircut more than once per year! LOL. I don't buy new clothing for me, my mom buys the kids clothings, we're pretty tight on our budget now. But it's been so worth it.

My son was like yours, he wouldn't do anything physical, until he reached a good enough level in swimming for him to feel comfortable. He's now on a provincial team, and it's been such a good change for his personality.

Go for it!

Do any local colleges have non credit kids classes? They are cheaper here. The really difficult thing I found with kids sports isn't the cost when they are young; it's the cost a few years later. Soon they want them more than once a week. There seems to be extra costs with recitals and competitions. We finally stopped ice skating because the cost was too much for us and they weren't totally in love with it.

But, I have resources piled up around here that we have never used. With a considerable amount of effort I could meet all the educational goals I have for my little ones without having to spend much at all. It wouldn't be the newest, latest, greatest, open and go kind of thing--but it would suffice.

You better not talk like that. I'm getting ready to do a purge. :D

Ask also about make-up's for illness or travel, weather cancellations, etc.

Our martial arts dojo charges about half that, but it's non-profit with no contracts and they're flexible about part-time enrollment, taking off a month, etc. I called around enough to know that's extremely rare for a serious dojo.

Why do you have to sign your 4 year old up too?

I would tell her, your brother didn't get to start until he was 6, and when YOU are 6, I will sign you up too. Maybe offer her a park day, or preschool story time at the library.

I was thinking about that last night! She enjoys everything and does not have the same struggles that he has. I will really have to consider that.

:iagree:

Our city has a "Library and Recreation" department or something like that, and they have all kinds of classes for kids and adults. My 6yo dd is in their ballet class, which is much cheaper than at the various dance studios around town.

I would not enroll the 4yo. Just the 6 yo who you have decided NEEDS this. Maybe you could do something special with the 4 yo older during class time (something simple like a sticker book or something you do together just during that time). I think you can work around the 4 yo needing to take class.

Another thought is looking at other gyms/ classes. Some gyms around here do homeschool classes during school hours at a discount.

Next, I would look at gyms that offer month to month rates. This might be just what your ds needs but he might only need it short term and then might be ready to move on to a less expensive or different activity.

All that said, I know myself enough to know I would find a way to make it happen.

Good luck.

Marie

$60/month is a pretty typical charge. My 14yo has been taking gymastics and/or tumbling (they are different) for 4.5 years now. It has been very good for her. She started off in the hs gymnastics class which had all ages and levels together (still had a maximum of 8 in the class though). That class was just $40/month while the regular classes were $52/month. The cost has gone up about $2/month each year, so now it costs $60/month for the regular classes. My dd decided to switch from gymnastics (which does trampoline, floor, tumble track, balance beam, uneven bars, and vault) to tumbling which does just trampoline, floor, and tumble track. She likes tumbling a lot better even though her favorites were balance beam, vault, and uneven bars when she first started.

The gym that we go to doesn't require a full semester of payment up-front. You pay monthly and have to give 30 days' notice to quit.

I think it's very reasonable to say that the younger one can start taking classes at 6yo like the older. My younger kids always had to just sit and watch while the oldest was in class. Later it was just my youngest who had to watch while the other two were in classes.

When I had a similar circumstance with one kid having to wait while another kid took a class, I arranged a weekly play date for the 'waiting kid'. I had a prearranged weekly date during class time, with a friend who was very happy to have a buddy for her dd. In return I would take her dd sometimes too.

It was nice to have the one on one time with the child taking the class and not be listening to the other kid whine about being bored or wishing they could be in the class too.

:grouphug:

We just signed dd 6 and ds 3 up for gymnastics this week. We pay 120 per month for the two classes. I like the division into monthly payments this way we can save up during the month for the payment. It does mean sacrificing but it's worth it.

My kids love their classes and I have seen DD gain so much confidence from extra-curricular activities. I look forward to seeing DS gain that same confidence. ;)

I would look into an actual gym. Almost every gym has a "recreational track" meant for kids who aren't interested in joining a gymnastics competition team. Even if you end up paying the same amount, I can guarantee you that your son will learn more than at someplace like the Little Gym because they have actual gymnastics equipment rather than just a few mats and such. And the people who work at actual gyms, in my experience, have a lot more training than the people hired at places like the Little Gym.

FWIW, my DD did gymnastics for 3 years at an actual gym and we didn't pay as much per class as what you quoted. But we've had a lot of friends who went the Gymboree and Little Gym route and their kids couldn't do half of what my DD learned. If I'm going to be paying that much per class, I want them to have the best exposure possible, kwim? Oh, and the gym we went to offered a homeschooling discount and had homeschooling classes as well...so you might call around and ask about that too.

Also, if you can, ask the grandparents etc. to contribute instead of big gifts for birthdays and Christmas.

:iagree: Good idea!

For Christmas my dd asked that we give the kids experiences. Her house is loaded with toys (in-laws love language is gifts), so we gave the grandkids a pass to a play room at the local toy store.

You all are so great. Thanks for giving me some things to consider.

I would look into an actual gym. Almost every gym has a "recreational track" meant for kids who aren't interested in joining a gymnastics competition team. Even if you end up paying the same amount, I can guarantee you that your son will learn more than at someplace like the Little Gym because they have actual gymnastics equipment rather than just a few mats and such. And the people who work at actual gyms, in my experience, have a lot more training than the people hired at places like the Little Gym.

Yep. That was my first thought--the whole family could join a gym for the year for that cost. I called around and couldn't find any that offer any more than baby sitting for the little ones.

Maybe you could sell some of that stuff you have to pay for it. I would sure try, even if that meant calling the grandparents and asking for an early birthday gift.

Now that is a good idea.

I think I have a temporary solution. It is mid-semester and they will prorate. So we could just do 1/2 a semester for 1/2 the cost. We might just give it a try and worry about next semester later.

Why not buy the SL tm used and get the books from the library? The one thing I wish I had done when my kiddos were that little is to enjoy the process of learning more than being concerned about whether they got their math and whatnot checked off. I think you could spend the $ after looking at the other options and rejecting them, and be happy to enjoy the process of making them love learning and reading. Really, if you accomplish that by second grade, they are ahead of the game.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have always been so tight with money that it is hard for me to think of writing a check that big. Especially when there are things that we "need." But, the thought of not being able to take him back brings tears to my eyes.

I hear ya and we're there too. Ask your hubby what he thinks. If he is all for it, go for it and take it session by session (or mo/mo). For us, the BIG chunk of $$ at the beg. was registration - if that is the case for you, once you get over that hump, each session isn't so much ;)

I certainly think education is more important than gymnastics but as someone else said, how much $$ do you *need* to spend on a 6yo? I use their bday $$ they get from grandparents for curriculum b/c they have TOO MANY TOYS as it is and I would rather gymnastics than more THINGS:tongue_smilie:

Do you have community centers? There are quite a range of classes offered through ours, and it comes to about $7/week, mostly to pay for the coach, with the rest covered out of city taxes. My DD has really enjoyed the classes she's done there.

We have a rec center nearby. They have dance classes and karate. DD loves the dance class. It is only $25 a month and the dance instructor is a single homeschool mother of six. I feel really good about writing that check each month.

DD loves the dance class. It is only $25 a month and the dance instructor is a single homeschool mother of six. I feel really good about writing that check each month.

Does your ds take the dance class along with dd? No? I can't figure out why you would automatically put your dd into the gym just because your ds needs the class there. Dd goes to dance--Ds goes to gym. Cuts the expense of the gym in half right there. I would definitely try to make it happen.

I'll just second everybody else. It sounds like this is almost a "need" for him. Consider it Occupational Therapy for him, if that makes it *slightly* less painful to come up with the tuition.

And scrimp by using the books you have or buying used or using the library more... You can get by with relatively little curriculum for a 6yo. But if this helps him to open up and approach new situations with confidence and enthusiasm he didn't have before? That could change his life. :)

I'd be tempted to look for other, cheaper alternatives too. But for *right*now*? I'd go with this. It sounds like *something* about it was really special and what he needs. Perhaps after some success with this for a semester or a year, he'll be in a better place to try other situations and other activities (that will, hopefully, fit better in your budget).

FWIW, my DD did gymnastics for 3 years at an actual gym and we didn't pay as much per class as what you quoted. But we've had a lot of friends who went the Gymboree and Little Gym route and their kids couldn't do half of what my DD learned. If I'm going to be paying that much per class, I want them to have the best exposure possible, kwim? Oh, and the gym we went to offered a homeschooling discount and had homeschooling classes as well...so you might call around and ask about that too.

I just wanted to say our experience has been the opposite. The "actual gym" we tried had high schoolers for teachers (who were pretty clueless), and the kids sat around waiting their turn for literally 1/2 of the class. The teachers at our Little Gym (and I'm sure the quality varies gym to gym) are super professional, very knowledgeable about child development, keep the kids moving and challenged the entire time. My dd happens to be very atheletic and they always work hard to challenge her... she's always learning new things. The gym has high and low beams, uneven bars, parallel bars, rings, springboards and mats that make a good enough vault, etc. My dd has had two teachers who were elite gymnasts.

I would also guess that the OP's son had such a great experience because of these teachers and the unique environment they provide. We actually go to the original LG, and the founder still teaches there. He's great, and I think he's developed an excellent, purposeful program, that is also great fun and developmentally appropriate. I wouldn't lump Little Gym in with Gymboree. Very different programs, IMO.

Anyway, just wanted to offer a different perspective. It wouldn't hurt looking at other gyms, but in our experience, The Little Gym is super high quality, especially for the younger set. We've had grandparents help with tuition too.

I'll just second everybody else. It sounds like this is almost a "need" for him. Consider it Occupational Therapy for him, if that makes it *slightly* less painful to come up with the tuition.

YES! I actually consider ours OT as well. My dd is a sensory seeker, which means she has a high need for sensory input, particularly vestibular in her case. The Little Gym is very purposeful about giving them that input from an early age (which is good for kids with leanings in either direction of sensory integration issues). My sister is a pediatric OT and has been very impressed by the Little Gym's program. Many times OT's do similar things in therapy. Not to say a kid with debilitating sensory integration issues could just have his/her needs met at the LG. But, I have been very impressed with their knowledge of kid's developmental needs.

gasp...gasp...This really hurts to say, but for two kiddos one hour a week it is $640 for a 20 week semester. OUCH!! Typing that out just made me rethink the whole thing. (LOL)

Here I will help you feel better. DD's cheerleading for 7 months of cheer, has cost me $215 just to register, $60/month, $170 for competition uniform, another $300 in team related gear(sweats, hoodie, duffle bag etc), plus travel costs for tomorrow's out of town tournament. Which puts me at a grand total of roughly $1300 for 1 child to do 1 sport for a school term. I am not a wealthy person and have 3 other kids to put into lessons, BUT it is the first time she has been not only interested but actually good at a sport. Her interests are typically music or writing etc, not a physical sport. It was worth the sacrifices I have had to make in my monthly budget to have her in this sport for the year.

If my 6 yr old (who is generally a sloth child) suddenly found a physical activity he loved and made him feel good about himself I would make further sacrifices to make sure it could happen for him too.

Another idea for you, if the club allows, see if there is a way to trade reduced fees for volunteer hours. I used to clean the gymnastics club my kids went to, for every 8 hour shift cleaning 1 kid got a full semester for free. I spent a lot of time cleaning but the trade off was worth the hours I did it. Maybe they need someone to do that, or to do a certain kind of fundraising, or some other form of volunteer time you can put in in exchange for reduced fees. Most places do not want to ever turn away a child and will find a way to make it better for the families involved.

Edited by swellmomma

We loved Little Gym when ds was younger. They know what they are doing, and it is developmentally appropriate. Other gyms in our area pushed the kids beyond what was developmentally appropriate. The price is not outrageous compared to other programs of the same caliber.

We do gym for our son as a cheaper alternative to OT also, and even at $15 a lesson it is MUCH cheaper than 'real OT.' Think of it that way.

I would try to take him back to that class next week, because he obviously really clicked with those teachers and kids.

I'd be tempted to look for other, cheaper alternatives too. But for *right*now*? I'd go with this. It sounds like *something* about it was really special and what he needs. Perhaps after some success with this for a semester or a year, he'll be in a better place to try other situations and other activities (that will, hopefully, fit better in your budget).

:iagree:

I was thinking that, too. One semester might really do the trick for him and then he might be open to other things. But, if not I am understanding that might be about the going rate for these kinds of classes.

Talked to dh and he said we will make it happen no matter what! So I will call Monday and get him started. On our way to church now. Thank you all so much for helping me think through this.