Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - let's begin

Since I did manage to read a book this past weekend, I'll put myself in the pool.

Book #1 - The Screwtape Letters

I'm in the process of reading Anna Karenina, but that may be book #15 or so. SusanAR has peaked my curiosity - never heard of Home, but now I may have to look it up. ;)

OMG

Ok, last week I went to the library and I wanted to get your book 1. Instead, I ended up getting "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. I read the whole thing and thought, this is not at all what I had expected, but I have really terrible short term memory and all I could remember was that I desparately wanted to read 'that screw book' by 'that guy, you know that one that writes those books.'

Augh.

Thank you for inadvertently clearing that up for me :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't suppose it counts if I finished a *retelling* of Don Quixote this week. :) I read a version by Martin Jenkins. The fabulous comic illustrations by Chris Riddell (of Castle Diary) were my favorite part. For a heavily illustrated book, it was still a hefty, over-sized 350 pages.

A "retelling" counts as well. There are quite a few retellings of classic stories. Plus books inspired by the original classics. I'm involved in another challenge "take a chance" challenge. One of the tasks is to find a book inspired by the original, read both and compare. It can be a retelling or offshoot. I'll be reading Sense and Sensibility and the book "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. There's also Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I am tentatively in. This week I'm reading....uhh, Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent. It is not quite great literature, but it came up on my PaperbackSwap wish list, so I have it around, and I wanted to start with something easy. And I just finished Love in the Time of Cholera, so I do read real books, I promise! I have no idea what to read next. I need to make some lists.

OMG

Ok, last week I went to the library and I wanted to get your book 1. Instead, I ended up getting "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. I read the whole thing and thought, this is not at all what I had expected, but I have really terrible short term memory and all I could remember was that I desparately wanted to read 'that screw book' by 'that guy, you know that one that writes those books.'

Augh.

Well, here's a pat on the back for actually reading an ENTIRE Henry James! I've never been able to finish one. :hurray:

OMG

Augh.

:smilielol5:

I don't suppose it counts if I finished a *retelling* of Don Quixote this week. :) I read a version by Martin Jenkins. The fabulous comic illustrations by Chris Riddell (of Castle Diary) were my favorite part. For a heavily illustrated book, it was still a hefty, over-sized 350 pages.

Heidi, I'm reading this aloud, and I would count it. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much my girls like it. The illustrations are like nothing I've ever seen. They definitely add to the story.

Heidi, I'm reading this aloud, and I would count it. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much my girls like it. The illustrations are like nothing I've ever seen. They definitely add to the story.

Ooh, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it! I read the first half aloud to my son and hubby (definitely some great boy humor in there :001_smile:), but that got a little old somewhere in the middle. We each ended up reading the second half independently, which was much easier. Have you seen anything else illustrated by Chris Riddell? He's amazing!

all I could remember was that I desparately wanted to read 'that screw book' by 'that guy, you know that one that writes those books.'

:lol: I try to pull the same thing on my librarians. "You know that book about those kids that did that thing back a long time ago" just doesn't work well for finding the right book.

:smilielol5:

You can imagine my confusion I'm sure. (This is not what I expected at all... why did I think this book would be absolutely and completely different?)

:lol: I try to pull the same thing on my librarians. "You know that book about those kids that did that thing back a long time ago" just doesn't work well for finding the right book.

My librarians try so hard. I try to NOT involve them in my memory loss :lol:

Oh, we recently got this one, but haven't delved into it yet. :001_smile:

We enjoyed his version (along w/ Riddell's illustrations) of Gulliver's Travels too.

I've been out of the genre for a bit, so I'll have to look up Juliet Marillier. Thanks for the rec! I love both the Assassin's series and the Tawny Man series, but haven't been able to get into the Liveship Trader's trilogy. I'm going to try again this year though!

I loved the whole Assassin's series and the Tawny Man series (Golden Fool etc...) I think I'm about due to re-read these ones this year :D

OH, and if you do enjoy the Robin Hobb books then another author you may like is Juliet Marillier - I love my fantasy fictions :lol:

What to expect... is actually a message from a pastor. It's free online if you want to hear it http://www.biblepreaching.com/davistwelve_mp3.html.

Thanks for the link. Sadly, my computer refuses to listen to MP3 or most other audio recordings online, although it will do videos. I have a book by the same title and wonder if it's from the same person.

I finished The Epic of Gilgamesh last week and started on Don Quixote (again) this week. I needed something lighter to go along with it, so I started Rosalind Miles' Isolde Trilogy also. I just finished Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle and am about to start the second one. I can't remember the name right now.

Well, I feel embarassed to admit this, since you all are reading such serious books...

but, I am re-reading part of the Twilight Saga. :svengo:

I was planning to start The Book Thief, but I went to the movies and walked past the poster for Eclipse and it made me want to go home and read it... and then, of course, I had to read Breaking Dawn again right after that...

I'll try to do better next week. :blushing:

Thanks for the link. Sadly, my computer refuses to listen to MP3 or most other audio recordings online, although it will do videos. I have a book by the same title and wonder if it's from the same person.

It's S. M. Davis. When you click on the link, it's an embedded audio. There are also links to download in RealPlayer and Windows Media Player formats. HTH.

Well, I feel embarassed to admit this, since you all are reading such serious books...

I was planning to start The Book Thief, but I went to the movies and walked past the poster for Eclipse and it made me want to go home and read it... and then, of course, I had to read Breaking Dawn again right after that...

Don't be embarrassed. I just finished a series of children's classics- Treasure Island (hated it), Alice in Wonderland, Arabian Nights, didn't finish Robinson Crusoe, etc. the last couple months of 2009, so decided to read other things this month. That's all. Not like, I'm all deep or anything. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: If I were to count the audio books dd is listening to, I'm listening to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Henry Huggins. No seriousness at all there!

Edited by Renai
add info

I finished The Appointment by Herta Muller earlier this week. I liked it a lot, but dh found it very disturbing. It's not a light read, but I thought it did a good job of letting the reader experience what it's like to live in a totalitarian regime.

I just finished The Humbling by Philip Roth. This one is a quick read, but be warned that it's pretty depressing.

Books I read this week:

The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian

• No 14 in the Aubrey-Maturin series of novels. I love this series for its enthralling, captivating, and authoritative depiction of life in the early 19th century Royal Navy. The highlight of the book for me was when Aubrey arrives at Botany Bay, and we are treated to a horrifying and haunting description of the abuse suffered by the prisoners of the penal colony and the corruption of its governors. This part was no doubt augmented by the research O'Brian did for his later published biography of Sir Joseph Banks, who played an instrumental role in Britain's colonization of Australia.

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber

• First book of seven in the collection of comic fantasy short stories and novellas chronicling the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, a pair of adventurous rogues each serving as a foil for the other: Fafhrd being tall, strong, and somewhat clumsy and the Mouser small, agile and intelligent. After their separate, lengthy, and satisfying introductions, the books concludes with the story of their meeting, Ill Met in Lankhmar, where the pair's humiliating fleecing of the city's Thief's Guild brings severe repercussions...

Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin

• A collection of short stories set in LeGuin's fantasy world of Earthsea. I have not read any of the other Earthsea novels, but I certainly will after reading this. A common theme of the stories is self-discovery - young children who are born with the power of wizardry, but who need to undergo trials and adventures before finding their place in the world. The stories also tell of romance, adventure, sacrifice and redemption, and is some of the best fantasy writing I have ever read.

Edited by Jaxon

It's S. M. Davis. When you click on the link, it's an embedded audio. There are also links to download in RealPlayer and Windows Media Player formats. HTH.

:o When I went to check on the book, it turns out I have a CD of what you said, and a different book I bought at the same time. I had pictured the cover of that book with the title of the CD. Not my most brilliant moment. Thanks for all your help.

I finished Shanghai Girls yesterday. I liked it, but not as much as Snow Flower. That one is hard to beat.

I just finished "Custom of the Country" - a bit depressing. Undine is just too dense & spoiled!

Now I am on to "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley

I just finished reading, Careless In Red by E. George. I'm a huge Inspector Lynley fan, but this book fell short of the BBC series. I did enjoy around 300 or so of the 626 pages. (It was nice to see what she did with the character after his wife was murdered, and to check in with Barbara.)

Now I'm back to Don Quixote, Mere Christianity and Financial Peace reading bits and pieces here and there. I'm looking to add something I can't put down.

Robin, how do you get the book cover images on your blog? Thanks!

BTW, I finished my first book this morning, Restoring Order to Your Home. I'm proud of myself! I'm good at starting nonfiction books but not so good at finishing them.

Do you mean technically how to I upload an image or where am I getting them from?

Good job finishing your nf book by the way. I'm the same way and have trouble finishing.

No need to feel embarrassed - reading is reading, no matter whether the book is serious or entertaining. I'll be reading plenty of entertaining books this year. They can't all be serious or my mind would explode.

My reading for this week -

• Night Train to Lisbon
    This received very mixed reviews on Amazon so I was curious to see what I thought. I enjoyed it – learned some Portuguese history and enjoyed watching the back story unfold.
  • Interpreter of Maladies
    A collection of short stories by Lahiri; I have enjoyed all of her books that I have read, but this is the first of her short stories I have read. Excellent, as usual.
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God
    An classic of Harlem Renaissance literature. It’s a good story and the author has a beautiful way with words. The phonetic spelling of the dialect really slowed me down because I had to almost read it out loud to understand it though. icon_smile.gif
  • My Side of the Mountain
    Loved it! A story of a boy who set off into the Catskill mountains and lived on his own for a year. Anyone who loves the idea of leaving it all behind and fending for yourself will enjoy this story. It’s a kids book, so it’s a quick read.

Finished Simplicity Parenting this week and finally gave up yesterday on slogging through Sense and Sensibility. I picked up Pride and Prejudice instead. I'm only about 7 chapters in but I'm liking it better. I think the short chapters help - if I find a scene tiresome, it's over quickly. ;) I also love Mr. Bennet - growing up in NJ I learned to speak sarcasm as a second language and he just cracks me up. :D

If I can get through P & P in a timely fashion, next up will be (I think) Born Only Once: The Miracle of Affirmation by Conrad Baars.

Do you mean technically how to I upload an image or where am I getting them from?

I guess both:001_unsure:? I went to Amazon, clicked on the book image, copied it to my computer, and put it on blogger from there. But, some of the images say "Look Inside" which I don't want on my blog. Does that make sense? I am wondering if there is an easier way that I'm not aware of.

I'm currently reading Miss Manner's Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior. I think I'm reading things out of the order I decided on in December.

Oh, I LOVED her bootcamp books!

Can't wait to read your review now :)

Mere Christianity is my next books

:D Another great book!

Good job finishing your nf book by the way. I'm the same way and have trouble finishing.

I usually go to ask.com and search under images. Once I pull up the page for the image, I usually have to click a second time to see "full view." From the full view page, I copy the http address from the top and link it from my blog (when you try to post a picture, you can either upload, or put in an address, I put in the address).

I was really surprised at how much I've enjoyed the nf I've read lately. I used to detest nf, but I've found that many times it really is "stranger than fiction."

I just finished reading, Careless In Red by E. George. I'm a huge Inspector Lynley fan, but this book fell short of the BBC series. I did enjoy around 300 or so of the 626 pages. (It was nice to see what she did with the character after his wife was murdered, and to check in with Barbara.)

Ahh Pooh! I just checked this out from the library yesterday afternoon!

I guess both:001_unsure:? I went to Amazon, clicked on the book image, copied it to my computer, and put it on blogger from there. But, some of the images say "Look Inside" which I don't want on my blog. Does that make sense? I am wondering if there is an easier way that I'm not aware of.

I usually go to ask.com and search under images. Once I pull up the page for the image, I usually have to click a second time to see "full view." From the full view page, I copy the http address from the top and link it from my blog (when you try to post a picture, you can either upload, or put in an address, I put in the address).

I used google or dogpile images or go directly to author website and make a copy of the image from their pages. The best thing to do is right hand click on the images and save it to your pictures, desktop or where ever you save your pictures on your computer. The problem with linking photos from other websites instead of actually copying them, is it slows down their servers and websites. And it may cause your website to load more slowly since it has to go out and gather all those links. Many ask that you don't link to their pictures. Book covers images don't fall under copy infringement like art work or other content unless specifically stated so they can be used for book reviews. Authors don't have a problem with anyone adding an image of their books to your site. So download instead of link, please

Edited by Mytwoblessings

I went ahead and created an associates account with amazon so that I could easily link with images and not mess with permission or anything. Once signed up, there is a bar at the top of my screen when I'm on amazon.com that says "link to this book". Once I click that, I can decide whether I want the title, the image, the prices or whatever to show. I always appreciate being linked to a book when I'm reading about it on someone's blog so I can go right to it and read other reviews or put it straight in my cart.

I've had an associates account for two years now and made all of $1.00...which is too far below the minimum to have a check issued - lol! But that's not why I do it. It's for reader convenience only.

I went ahead and created an associates account with amazon so that I could easily link with images and not mess with permission or anything. Once signed up, there is a bar at the top of my screen when I'm on amazon.com that says "link to this book". Once I click that, I can decide whether I want the title, the image, the prices or whatever to show. I always appreciate being linked to a book when I'm reading about it on someone's blog so I can go right to it and read other reviews or put it straight in my cart.

I've had an associates account for two years now and made all of $1.00...which is too far below the minimum to have a check issued - lol! But that's not why I do it. It's for reader convenience only.

Me too. I've always linked to amazon and like it when I'm on other's blogs and can link from their review to amazon to check out the book.

I used google or dogpile images or go directly to author website and make a copy of the image from their pages. The best thing to do is right hand click on the images and save it to your pictures, desktop or where ever you save your pictures on your computer. The problem with linking photos from other websites instead of actually copying them, is it slows down their servers and websites. And it may cause your website to load more slowly since it has to go out and gather all those links. Many ask that you don't link to their pictures. Book covers images don't fall under copy infringement like art work or other content unless specifically stated so they can be used for book reviews. Authors don't have a problem with anyone adding an image of their books to your site. So download instead of link, please

Oh! I had no idea. I've done the Amazon account thing now (so I link all of them through Amazon)... is that a problem?

Oh! I had no idea. I've done the Amazon account thing now (so I link all of them through Amazon)... is that a problem?

No - no problem. It isn't a problem as long as you are reviewing your own personal books.

It only becomes an issue if you receive books free from a publisher or publicists and make money, even a few cents through the amazon affiliates link. There was a big thing with FTC last year and the book bloggers. That's why you may see an FTC disclosure note on some of my book reviews.

No - no problem. It isn't a problem as long as you are reviewing your own personal books.

It only becomes an issue if you receive books free from a publisher or publicists and make money, even a few cents through the amazon affiliates link. There was a big thing with FTC last year and the book bloggers. That's why you may see an FTC disclosure note on some of my book reviews.

Oh, ok. No free books here (except from the library ;) ).

Thanks for letting me know all this, I had no idea.

Do I post my weekly book here? I'm new at this. Here it is: Undress me in the temple of heaven. If you traveled before you were 25, you should read it. If you didn't, read it anyway, you just won't have flashbacks.

I just finished "Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel--a good old-fashioned adventure yarn about airships, alternate history sort of thing. Pretty good.

And now I'm starting "All quiet on the Western front," which I'm sure will be quite cheery. We're doing WWI this week, but my kid is 9--I'll hand this to her next time round. I've never read it myself--I strenuously avoided anything with the label 'classic' on it as a teen and am still playing catchup.

Do I post my weekly book here? I'm new at this. Here it is: Undress me in the temple of heaven. If you traveled before you were 25, you should read it. If you didn't, read it anyway, you just won't have flashbacks.

I just finished "Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel--a good old-fashioned adventure yarn about airships, alternate history sort of thing. Pretty good.

And now I'm starting "All quiet on the Western front," which I'm sure will be quite cheery. We're doing WWI this week, but my kid is 9--I'll hand this to her next time round. I've never read it myself--I strenuously avoided anything with the label 'classic' on it as a teen and am still playing catchup.

Each week on Saturday or at latest on Sunday will post the weekly thread and that is where you let us know what you read that week. So yes, this is the right place for your 1st weeks reads. Just keep posting on most recent thread - this one - until the new one goes up.

To all - if you don't finish book 1 by the time week 2 starts on Sunday - don't worry. Just post on the newest thread about it.

I want to read Undress Me and it is on my wishlist. Airborn sounds good - my wishlist is going to grow by leaps and bounds. Good luck with All Quiet on the Western Front. I know what you mean about classics - I avoided as well until recently.

Edited by Mytwoblessings