Menu

What did you get for Christmas?

My hubby and son really have good taste. Hubby gave me a beautiful watch. Plus they gave me

Green by Ted Dekker

Robert Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

A Ship Possessed by Alton Gansky

Lethal Harvest by William Cutter

and 50 things to do when you turn 50.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" and "Angels and Demons." Plus Santa gave me "Labryinth" and "The Princess Bride."

Today I'm reading Special Edition of A Christmas Carol which include christian insights and discussion questions. Very interesting. James is enjoying playing his new Nintendo DS and hubby reading "Why We Suck" by comedian Denis Leary.

Merry Christmas!

bread machine (from my parents)

for card-making and scrapbooking

(2) clear stamp sets

(8) Martha Stewart and EK Success border paper punches

Spellbinders floral die cut collection (four sets in all)

gift cards to Michaels's and A C Moore (from husband and my parents)

earrings

sweater

Yankee candles

gloves

From my son:

Leather-bound edition of The Illiad and The Odyssey

Annotated edition of Great Expectations

a book entitled Storm Front by Jim Butcher (first in a series)

cd by Within Temptation

dvd of When Harry Met Sally (one of my favorite movies)

From my daughter:

Willow Tree figurine

bound book of pictures of 2009

From my dad and stepmom:

$200 (which went to bills! LOL)

From a dear friend:

$30 gc to Sephora!

From my 17yo son: an awesome cover for my Kindle!:)

From my 13yo dd: The Pioneer Woman Cooks!:)

From my 4yo son: a salad spinner...pretty sure he had help from Daddy.;)

From my dh: an amazingly beautiful pair of diamond earrings.:)

My hubby did the most amazing thing for me. My grandmother, whom I was very close to, was an amazing cook. I lived with my grandparents for 4 months while I was doing my student teach so I got to know them quite well. When she passed away, my grandpa gave me all of her cooking/baking supplies so that they would continue to be used. (I love them!)

Hubby found my copies of all of Grandma's recipes that I had been typing into the computer. My mom wouldn't give me the originals so dad made copies for me. Dh took the time to scan all the original recipe cards and made me a cookbook using blurb.com. It's absolutely amazing. My poor boys thought he did something wrong because I was just sobbing.

Now, I have a cookbook of all her recipes and they are in her handwriting. In the middle of the book, he made a layout of his favorite recipe that she made and now I make with a picture of her.

I love it!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a red Lands End jacket as an early present from dh, and today he gave me a casserole baking dish I've been wanting. My mom gave me a plate rack for my Fiestaware, EK gave me a Yankee candle (vanilla cupcake!) & some fuzzy slippers, ER gave me Bath & Body Works stuff, and in my stocking I got kitchen gadgets and several kinds of lip balm. And I think everyone gave me something CHOCOLATE!

My hubby did the most amazing thing for me. My grandmother, whom I was very close to, was an amazing cook. I lived with my grandparents for 4 months while I was doing my student teach so I got to know them quite well. When she passed away, my grandpa gave me all of her cooking/baking supplies so that they would continue to be used. (I love them!)

Hubby found my copies of all of Grandma's recipes that I had been typing into the computer. My mom wouldn't give me the originals so dad made copies for me. Dh took the time to scan all the original recipe cards and made me a cookbook using blurb.com. It's absolutely amazing. My poor boys thought he did something wrong because I was just sobbing.

Now, I have a cookbook of all her recipes and they are in her handwriting. In the middle of the book, he made a layout of his favorite recipe that she made and now I make with a picture of her.

I love it!!!!!!!

I just lost my grandma 4 months ago. I was closer to her than anyone else. I just retrieved all of her handwritten recipes.

What an incredibly thoughtful gift. I would have been sobbing, too!:grouphug:

Beautiful. I'm welling up just thinking about it.

-----------------

My husband and I combined to buy a digital camera this year.

He helped the children with their buying: M-girl (5) who *loves* butterflies got me a pretty butterfly necklace, R-girl (2) got a pretty bracelet, and N-boy (4 in two weeks!) got what I really wanted: a new watch. I hear they all made their own selections; should that be true, N-boy's future wife is going to be a very happy lady ... it is perfect for me.

From my parents: a new apple peeler, a popcorn pan for the stove with a crank with some cash to buy popcorn and oil, and a Precious Moments figurine

From my DH: 2 new umbrellas

From my 10yo: a picture she drew of an angel in the stable with baby Jesus

From my 8yo: a picture she drew of a princess

From my 5yo: a picture he drew of me and my youngest

From my youngest: the same early morning hug/snuggle that I love every morning

What a wonderful, wonderful gift!

I have some of my husband's grandma's cook and bakeware and nothing does as well as those items. I'd been using her old Revereware pots and pans and had been coveting a new set of Calphalon. Last year I found a set at a very good deal and brought that home and shelved the old stuff. It wasn't long before the Revereware found its way back into my cupboard--only occasionally do I grab for a Calphalon pot and that only when I need some serious non-stick action.

I have her old angel food cake pan, muffin tins, and bread pans. When I've wanted to add on additional bread pans I found the newer ones didn't even come close. I just discovered Doughmaker's though, and I have to say I'm loving those cookie sheets.

Enjoy your gift--what a special one that is!

Gifts--it was a very low key Christmas for us adults this year. I got some of my favorite Godiva chocolate from my daughter,a Starbucks giftcard, and last month I ordered myself 4 Yankee Candle large jar candles in Hazelnut Coffee. I love that scent and it only made a brief appearance before it's disappearing again.

• My partner gave me a sign board. I know it sounds weird but I love to paint things. It was perfect. It's going to hang in the living room/library and say, "Quod traditus est, trado." Credit for that motto goes to Plaid Dad, who suggested it this morning, making it too a Christmas gift of sorts, and pretty good for an accidental one.

• My best friend gave me a pride rainbow footbag she crocheted herself. I like to play and had a hard time this summer finding one I liked.

• My best friend's partner gave me a first print of the first Batman graphic novel ever. It was the most Perfect Thing for Me I got this year. I'm a bit of a Batman fanatic (that's an understatement but the sarcasm doesn't come through in print) and I think we all here feel the same way about books.

• Me mum gave me shiny brown boots that lace-up all militaristic-like. I feel like Zoe Washburn in them.

• My grandmother is getting me tickets to Sherlock Holmes (also kind of fanatic about turn-of-the-century scifi authors) and another facial piercing. Yes, she's a way cool grandma.

This is one of the best Winter Solstices I've ever had, gift-wise. It's going to stick in my memory alongside the year I got my first typewriter.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
spelling

From Dh: A Red Dwarf dvd that I didn't even know existed!

From Dad: Some nail cream that was supposedly made from Dead Sea mud (if you read the box,) but is really made from icky chemicals (if you read the packets inside the box.)

From brother and SIL: Some red rice, some purple rice and some spices in a cute box.

From aunt: A big bag of odd buttons that are bound to come in handy some time. The girlie equivalent of having a jar of rusty things. ;)

From grandmother: A mortar and pestle. Already had one, of course, but this one is bigger.

From Mum: a third of the "Geography Songs" cd and two face washers. Face washers? :confused: No idea what she was thinking, but I did get to send my sister a message telling her that Mum loves me more. She gave my sister only one face washer for her birthday last year. My sister nearly killed herself laughing, hehehe.

Rosie

I got two great shirts, a certificate for an air purifier so I can pick whichever one I want, a laptop fan and more memory, and junkfood and chocolate (my vices! ;)) from my dh.

The kids do mostly dollar store stuff - shampoo, pantyhose...

I'm a happy camper. :D

$25 gift card to Starbucks from in laws (amazingly surprised)

3 pack of Moleskin blank notebooks

A calendar

My daughter (who was upset b/c the parents weren't getting much this year) wrapped up her prized peacock feather and gave it to me. How sweet of her.

I asked for 4 things and got all four. Pretty good, but a surprise would have been fun too!

- an electric blanket! I am always freezing when I crawl into bed!!

- ring from James Avery from DH. I LOVE it!

- new wallet from dd, it's embroidered with my initial!

- silver tea kettle. It's not the exact one I wanted so we'll go this weekend and exchange it. A great excuse to go to Sur La Table!! :D

That man is a keeper! My eyes just teared up reading that. Beautiful.

I love it!!!!!!!

I got an hour long skype call from my hubby. :D

My girls got me a Coach purse, ipod classic, bose docking station.

My little man got me a angel and itunes card.

Even though my family was all spread out this year..it was a great Christmas!:D My hubby will be home in 6 days.

* a blender (my old one just bit the dust.) Dh had so much fun telling me about all the special things it can do and how it is shatter-proof! I married a practical man. Smoothies this weekend!

* a massage for my poor sore back

* a $25 gift card to Red Robin

* a loaf of banana bread from my sister

We haven't opened gifts at my ILs yet so I may get some more loot but then they tend to focus on the kids so maybe not.

From DH and my boys: 2 sweaters, a shirt, 3 pairs of PJ's, 2 pairs of silver earrings, 2 cd's I wanted, and The Help.

We haven't opened gifts yet, but I know of 3 gifts that my mom bought me - a 12" skillet with a cover, a Pandora charm for my bracelet, and some slippers.

Lets see.

From dh:

A really nice paring knife

2 books: 1 of puritan prayers, the other "Truman" by David McCullough (one of my very favorite history authors)

New toaster over

Starbucks card

music cd

From Mom and Dad:

An apron made from vintage material that my mom got from *her* mom's ancient stash from a bygone era. Very cool.

Pineapple Cilantro candles with holder from Yankee Candle..mmmmm

Mango something lotion from Bath and Body Works.

From Nephew and daughter

starbucks cards (you can never have too many after all)

From Niece:

cute Christmas jingle bell decoration for hanging on a doorknob

From Sister and Bro in law:

Nice note cards made from flower photos that sis took herself.

I got a couple other small things, but I'd have to go back and look in *my box o stuff* to remember what they are.

All in all a nice Christmas.

I received

*TOMS shoes (yippee!)

*a pager keychain so we can find my keys when I lose them (daily). This was funny because I bought dh a pager remote.

*a new purse and wallet

By far, the highlight of this Christmas was our trip to Disneyland, which several family members chipped in to make possible. I would have been happy with just that.

From dh: spa gift card, new cell phone, (old one will become a loaner for the kids when they go out of the neighborhood. Yeah!) and new sheets for our bed.

From kids: kitchen shears, red melamine dishes (So I can take a break from broken ceral bowls on our tile floor), and candles.

From Santa in my stocking: nail polish, face cream, foot lotion, bath products, nail clippers, and chocolate.

From God - a rare Texas, white Christmas - just beautiful.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I received

*TOMS shoes (yippee!)

*a pager keychain so we can find my keys when I lose them (daily). This was funny because I bought dh a pager remote.

*a new purse and wallet

By far, the highlight of this Christmas was our trip to Disneyland, which several family members chipped in to make possible. I would have been happy with just that.

I think I am going to put a pager keychain on my new kitchen shears! Great gift.

Last week I hired a graphic designer to design a logo and marketing set for my photography business, so that was my Christmas present! I also got:

slippers, bath salts, Kris Allen CD (DH and the girls)

pajamas, bath stuff, cash, gift card, candy (my parents)

gift card (stepsister)

cash (father in law)

I am going to use my cash to purchase a photography backdrop! I am so excited!!

Aside from a migraine (MIL with Alzheimer's got bored and started getting snitty)....Several Land's End shirts, A couple of candy making things, a weekend away (by MYSELF) and a massage. DD2 got me a yankee candle, Christmas Cookie, and DD1 MADE a coin purse for me. It's not really usable, but I'll keep it forever!

I stuffed my own stocking, as well as everybody else's. One of the high lights of Christmas is me unpacking my stocking. NOBODY knows what's in it. I 'got' a $15 amazon gift card for MP3s, a crime scene lanyard for the camera, 2 votives from Yankee, ear muffs, and socks with toes.

My dh really surprised me! He got me a Schwinn bike!!! My older kids went in with him, and that really made it special!!

My parents got me some cute PJs and a robe and slippers, and My Fitness Coach for the Wii! And one of those neat magnetic necklaces....Don't know if you've seen those, but they can double as a bracelet...

And my in laws got me some clothes!

I'm very happy, but it's always fun, no matter what I get, cuz it's all about the kids for me! It's fun playing with their stuff!! My younger kids got bikes also, so we can all ride together!

I love it!!!!!!!

Okay. This made me weepy. Its beautiful!

I recieved the two things I had asked for and then some surprises - it was wonderful!

From dh - Bedside table lamps; my old ones were too short and the shades were too narrow, and one was broken. The new ones rock! And the gold silky lampshades match my bedspread (which is gold and black) and I have to say, his choice really impressed me! :)

From dd - 3 really nice wooden spoons - I had no idea wooden spoons could be so nice! - and oven mitts; her dog ate all my old cheap ones (yes, both the spoons and the oven mitts :lol:).

From ds - the newest Iron and Wine cd; I :001_wub: them.

And chocolate. Chocolate and peanut butter and chocolate and carmel - mmmmm!

From dh's parents we recieved wine and a gift cert for a weekend stay at a local hotel/lodge and breakfast, which all dh's brothers rec'd this year, so we all decided to go at the same time, which should be super fun!

We had freezing rain all day today, so we aren't getting together with my family until Tues.

I love it!!!!!!!

Wow, that is a beautiful gift. What a wonderful husband you have.

My dh got me this cool tote bag I've had my eye on:

Broadway shows tote bag

Also, he gave me gift cards for Starbucks and iTunes. And dark chocolate! :tongue_smilie:

My mom got us a Wii and Wii Fit (which I am already enjoying), and got me a cute sweater and scarf.

Other family members gave me other clothes and an Andrea Bocelli CD.

Oh, and dh had already given me a Barnes and Noble gift card, so I have some new books.

Wendi

Very unexpected, but we came home from church last night to a box marked, "perishable." It was from the east coast. Bagels, cream cheese, lox and more. Yummy! Dh's cousin made a statement on fb about bagels one day and I lamented the lack of good ones here in the PNW. (sorry PNWer's but it's true.) That was the best! We had a late night dinner and still have leftovers for afternoon snack. Yay!