Menu

"prolly" is not a word

It is starting to drive me insane! I keep seeing people use "prolly" instead of "probably" on Facebook all. the. time! :glare: I though at first it was just a teenage thing, since I mostly saw it used by my 14yo cousin who never spells anything right on her comments. Today it was used by a friend with a college education! :confused: Is it really that hard to type out the correct word?!? :banghead:

I think some people are starting to believe that is the correct way to say/write it :(

I read somewhere that after reading something three times a person starts to believe it might be true, after more repititions they just take it as an actual fact.

It makes me shudder to think of what facebook, and other like it, are doing to our society.

There (over there) Their (their house) They're (they are) I see all three of those becoming 'their' all over facebook. My well-read uncle does this ALL THE TIME. It kills me.

:lol::lol::lol:

I had a group of friends that used "prolly" a whole lot in high school. We also said things like, "It's nice to want," when someone said, "I want ____." We did a whole lot of obnoxious things. Haven't even thought about it for a long time, though I'm still in contact with most of that crowd. Thanks for the good memories!!

Sorry they make you :banghead: It is obnoxious.

You know, I have never noticed anyone even pronouncing probably as "prolly" before. I could see "probly" as a message board/internet spelling, but I still don't get "prolly". I've still never noticed anyone saying it that way. It does bug me because it just makes no sense. :lol: I think I could handle the trendiness of the spelling if it sounded like it's pronounced.

FWIW,

Melissa

Edited by melhouse
Because spelling is our friend.

My dds' oral surgeon--presumably an educated man--said "prolly."

What??!!

Now, my mil, whom I loved dearly, was an uneducated woman from the Ozarks. There were *many* words she couldn't pronounce (yogurt was "yogur," hormones was "hormos," and she could NOT say aluminum under any circumstances!), and I understand that. But the well-educated oral surgeon??

Edited by Ellie

Hm, I suppose I might use "prolly" on Facebook some time, 'cause I see it as a very informal medium and in very informal speech situations I might *say* "prolly" rather than "probably". But, lol, I do know the word is "probably", and would never use "prolly" in any remotely formal situation (written or spoken)...

being the apparent grammar/spelling nazi (according to my 16yo DS), the one I see most often is "your" when it should be "you are" ... at least that isn't changing the whole word, just a spelling error.

Ah, but I'd much rather a conscious stylistic choice than ignorance (though I'll admit that there are plenty of times when my fingers have gone faster than my brain, and I've made such mistakes)...

I'll join you in :banghead:.

I have a coworker who uses prolly all. the. time. in work emails. And he works as . . . wait for it . . . a writer.:svengo:

*raises hand.* Writer here. When I post on boards or on my facebook I use slang. It's ME speaking and I want the tenor of what I am trying to say to come across in the comment. innit, prolly, and all kinds of slang. Cause it's fun and there's no grammar test.

I see it as sloppy enunciation more than slang. And no, I'm not bashing anyone who uses it because my enunciation on many words can be sloppy when speaking informally! But because I see it as an enunciation issue, I don't use it when writing even though I might use slang words or phrases such as "neato" or "the cat's pajamas".

(Where's that *like* button on the boards?)

And the other one I absolutely cannot stand is the large number of people who spell 'supplement' as 'suppliment.i Hello, ladies, we are teaching our kids, it'd be nice if we could spell the word!

Now that I've probably offended 50% of the people here, I'll go back to lurking. And notice that I did not write "prolly"!!!

But, lol, I do know the word is "probably", and would never use "prolly" in any remotely formal situation (written or spoken)...
Funny that, innit? :D

I have a relative who says "li-bary" instead of library. Drives me crazy. I have even overstated the word, "You want to go to the library?" She will nod and say, "yes, I want to go to the libary."

I have an instructor with an Master's Degree, who will talk about work and the small "cuticle" that she has next to the restroom. She means cubicle.

They may as well scratch their fingernails on a chalkboard and it would be all the same to me.

Ok - I realize that this points out my dependence on correct spelling in order to understand things but what does that stand for? I've tried and tried to make sense of it!

Funny Jean! I had the same trouble when my 22 year old niece used it with me. I was scratching my head for days until the light bulb came on. :tongue_smilie:

I've seen "prolly" (drives me crazy too), but I've never heard it.

My grandma used to say "genly" instead of "generally." My aunt can't pronounce "drawer" she says "draw." I knew someone who couldn't pronounce "Wednesday"--she said "Weeensday."

Fayetteville - Fed'ville (although I actually like that one...sounds softly southern)

My Grandma used to say Wal-Marks. My brother and I would just roll our eyes to each other.

My aunt can't pronounce "drawer" she says "draw." I knew someone who couldn't pronounce "Wednesday"--she said "Weeensday."

She must be a closet Aussie :D no er in drawer. One d in Wednesday.

We only have one D in the way we say it as well.. I've never heard anyone pronounce both D's ...

I just tried and it felt very odd, like I was tripping in the middle of the word. :tongue_smilie:

Everyone I know (including us) says "wenzday" ...

We only have one D in the way we say it as well.. I've never heard anyone pronounce both D's ...

I just tried and it felt very odd, like I was tripping in the middle of the word. :tongue_smilie:

I've never heard anyone say "wed nes day", either. Except, when I was younger, I'd pronounce it that way for spelling only :D.

I have a Scottish friend who says it: Wed-ns-day. Three syllables, two d's. I say it that way sometimes just to mess with people.:tongue_smilie:

I can roll my eyes when it is my 13 year old cousin, but what really drives me :willy_nilly: is when my MOM types slang like this on her Facebook page. AARRRGGGHHH!

OMG! You are so right. This drives me crazy when women older than I am (and I'm 50!) use all these slang spellings, especially on Facebook. It's just so....so....inappropriate.

It is starting to drive me insane! I keep seeing people use "prolly" instead of "probably" on Facebook all. the. time! :glare: I though at first it was just a teenage thing, since I mostly saw it used by my 14yo cousin who never spells anything right on her comments. Today it was used by a friend with a college education! :confused: Is it really that hard to type out the correct word?!? :banghead:

My dad uses it on IM. He also uses kewl. What's worse...I used to get in trouble with my dad for using the word cool and rad when I was younger. I had to say this or that was neat. And now here he is not only using the forbidden word but misspelling it too. :glare:

I have a relative who says "li-bary" instead of library. Drives me crazy. I have even overstated the word, "You want to go to the library?" She will nod and say, "yes, I want to go to the libary."

I have an instructor with an Master's Degree, who will talk about work and the small "cuticle" that she has next to the restroom. She means cubicle.

They may as well scratch their fingernails on a chalkboard and it would be all the same to me.

AUGH! Yes, it's libRary, that drives me nuts too!

r u sur prolly isnt a wrd

:lol: