Menu

Do you have your kids put their names on their papers? How about dates?

nukeswife

Do you have your kids put their names on all their work? What about the Date?  

1. 1. Do you have your kids put their names on all their work? What about the Date?

• Yes - Names on all papers
    • Sometimes - Names on some papers
    • No - No names required
    • Names only until they can write it well
    • Yes Dates always
    • Dates when we remember to put them on
    • Nope, don't really care about the dates
    • I stamp the date on their papers as they turn them in
    • Other: Please elaborate

I want them to know how to properly head a paper for when they have outside classes and need to know that. It won't be for a long time and it's something they can learn in 1 minute, so it's not that important. But my son isn't the neatest boy on earth, so he can use all the practice he can get. ;) So, we write names and dates and lesson # on English work and not anything else. It does serve a purpose for English, since they are writing in a notebook and everything else is in workbooks.

When I just had the one, and even for a while when it was just 2 I did require anything. Now that I have 4 I don't even want to take the time to THINK about which Right Start math page (for example) this has to logically be, I no longer have enough brain to spare for even that, so yes I require their name. Of course I correct the papers at night so that might play into the lack of brain power. ;) Generally they also put the date if there is a space for it, if not they don't.

Heather

Do you have the kids put their names on all their papers?

He puts it on some of his papers, always those sheets with a line specifically for his name, most of time when we use plain notebook paper, but rarely to never with journals or notebooks.

Do you stop after they know how to print their name well?

No, I want him to know how to head a paper. We work on writing smaller (which is taking for.ev.er.) and on keeping his name, and the date, in the allotted space.

What about date, do they write it on every paper?

At the very least one paper a day, even if that means writing it down just for the sake of writing it down. It helps us both remember the date which, sadly, I have a tendency to forget. It also prevents those embarrassing moments when he says, 'Mom, what day of the week is it?'

Yes, name and date on anything loose. Anything in a notebook gets a date. Workbooks generally don't get dated. He rolls his eyes about the name but I tell him its practice for when he isn't the only student.

Dates are important to me because I do go back and look at his work. I also make copies of some of his work to put in a binder at the end of the year and I like to see the progression.

Name & date on all worksheets (lose paper) so that I know who did the work.

Name on the front of workbooks, dates on each page.

Dates on everything else that doesn't meet the above criteria, but sometimes I slap the date on it. I just want it on there so whoever does it is fine. They both know HOW to do it & write it on most of their papers. We just do the 10/29/09 type of deal.

I do need to work on them knowing how to spell the months of the year. UUGH, so maybe I should have them write it out.

We don't put names and dates on every single paper, but we do on certain ones that call for it. For isntance, if my younger guy is doing a worksheet and it has a space for name, he will write it in. If my kids are doing a test that asks for name and date, they will fill them in. Otherwise, the only other time we do it is when older son does his R&S English - the header is set up to include name and date. :)

ETA: Ds6 did write his name and date on everything until he finished Kindergarten just to give him practice writing the two things. Now, he can write them with no problems so we don't feel the need to keep "practicing."

I voted name and date but could have voted "other." I require:

AMDG..........................Title (if applicable)............................Name

........................................................................................Date

........................................................................................Page #s

eg:

AMDG.............................History Unit 2 Review.......................Molly Golly

.........................................................................................10/29/09

..........................................................................................pp. 69-70

Well, looking at that I really should have voted "other."

sorry.

Yes, name and date on anything loose. Anything in a notebook gets a date. Workbooks generally don't get dated. He rolls his eyes about the name but I tell him its practice for when he isn't the only student.

Dates are important to me because I do go back and look at his work. I also make copies of some of his work to put in a binder at the end of the year and I like to see the progression.

Right! I don't require name, et c for workbooks. I only require date completed.

I voted for yes, always name and date on every page. I have four kids to keep straight. 'Nuff said. ;) I don't require full names and dates though. A clear first letter of their first name and the date in 10-29-09 format is sufficient.

If it's a piece of notebook paper it ought to have the name of the book, lesson or page number, and problem numbers listed legibly, or I won't bother to check it.

I do not have them put name or dates on unless it is something they are turning in elsewhere or it is something I'm keeping for sentimental reasons. My dd is taking a writing class right now from a retired English teacher, so her name goes on everything. We have not put dates because she's only attending one day each week.

Thanks for all the responses.

I was only asking because I have had my kids name and date everything so far. They are in 5th and 2nd, but I'm starting to wonder if just stamping the date would be enough. I have one boy and one girl schooling now with another boy coming up the ranks. It's very clear who's paper belong to which child because my ds isn't very particular about his penmanship but dd is. LOL I'm not worried about having 2 papers from the same thing for the kids because they all use differen curricula or different levels so that make it easy to figure out. My boys are 6 years apart so even if boy #2 has sloppy penmanship like his older brother it should be easy to know what's what because of the vastly different levels.

I do have one of those self inking date stamps that I was letting them use last year until I realized dd didn't remember the months of the year in order and didn't know what the numbers in dates such as 10/29/09 meant. We've covered that with her writing out the date in number format for the past few months and she pretty much has it down pat. So maybe we can go back to the stamp because it's easier and quicker sometimes.

Thanks again for all the responses.

We do Name and Date if there is a line for Name or Date. Not necessarily both on all papers, something nothing. Never name in a workbook and I date them at night. DD (8) knows how to write her name and the date both the long and the short way, so I don't feel it is necessary to do this. Since my little one is 3 I know whose papers they are :). Because we are practicing cursive typically I have her write her name in cursive even if the paper is printed. Dates always go on letters.

We write names and dates.

We started our first year with just names. Practice writing your name without knowing that you are learning something.

Last year we started writing the dates around the same time we learned Days and Months. Again, it was good practice. And then Mom doesn't have to date the material before adding it to the Portfolio's.

Now sometimes I give them a busy sheet because they couldn't stay out of trouble. We don't date those.

We do names and dates for 2 reasons.

1: I need to know who did what and when for reporting and my sanity issues. I even name and date in notebooks to make sure they remember. They still don't always remember.

2; When my oldest went to college, she had NEVER had to do this, so she handed in many assignments without getting proper credit. it wasn't a habit. I want this to be a habit.

I teach them to use a modified MLA heading from the beginning.

Name

Subject (or particular book)

Lesson #

Date

Faithe

Yes, name and date on anything loose. Anything in a notebook gets a date.

Same here. My oldest two are close in age and use some of the same materials, so it's hard to figure out who's stuff is who's sometimes. Except that my ds has sloppier handwriting.:tongue_smilie:

It depends on the age of the child and the materials used. IOW, the children under 12 only have to put names and dates on loose papers or typed material. Workbooks do not require names, but sometimes do require a date. The over 12 crowd is required to put a name and date on anything that is turned in to me.

HTH

Yes to both the date and the name. I do this so that they get practice for when they are not the only student. It's funny, because both of my middle children spent time in public school before we "saw the light" and decided to homeschool. So, you would think they would instinctively label their papers...but that isn't so. I guess they figured I would know which paper belonged to which kid. So, I have come up with a set way for them to list their name, date, subject, and page number. It also makes it easier for me when I go through their notebooks to figure out what everything is.

They both just started taking a couple of classes in our homeschool group - so labeling their papers is a good habit for that reason as well.