Menu

Does the term "kiddos" bother you?

Do you call your children "kiddos" online?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you call your children "kiddos" online?

• No Way! I can't stand when people do that!
    • No, but it doesn't bother me if others do.
    • Yes! I love my little kiddos!!!

I hated it when people called me a kiddo back when I was a kiddo. Now I don't mind if people say it.

I've been known to call my kids hooligans. But I got into trouble once doing that. I asked a close friend how her hooligans were doing - innocently, I don't really think kids are hooligans. I didn't know that two of her kids had just been sent to a group home for juvenile delinquents. I'm afraid I did a LOT of apologizing that time.:blush:

I've been known to call my kids hooligans. But I got into trouble once doing that. I asked a close friend how her hooligans were doing - innocently, I don't really think kids are hooligans. I didn't know that two of her kids had just been sent to a group home for juvenile delinquents. I'm afraid I did a LOT of apologizing that time.:blush:

Is it okay if I :lol:?

(I'm sorry, that must have been an uncomfortable situation)

Lately, I have been seeing people online refer to their children as kiddos all the time. I don't know what it is about that word but it drives me NUTS! It seems so goofy to me, I don't know. What is everyone else's take on this?

Michelle

I don't call my ds that, but I'm not really bothered by people who do. Now, when you start getting to the parents who are always referring to their kids as "the rug rats," "the snot rags," or "the brats," THEN I'm bothered.

Going through the airport earlier this week, I referred to mine as ducklings which they understand to mean that they need to follow me and that we have something important to accomplish. When I discuss schooling or rules, I will often group them and my ds as the older and the youngers or the big and the littles. I even refer to my girls as chicklets sometimes or my babies. When I'm having a trying day and getting names mixed up, I'll just start calling them all George. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't bother them. I've even been known to answer to Mean-Old-Hag from my ds which we both acknowledge is what he calls me when he doesn't agree with my rules but follows them anyway, but I do expect a "Yes, Mam" to go with it.

My dd8 hates to be called a "Brat" which her brother has been banned from ever calling her. She also hates to be patted on the head. My youngest loves to be patted on the head. Names and labels don't bother them as long as we respect each other and respect each other's boundaries.

Here's a question? Does the word, "imp," bother anyone? I was raised with my Mom calling us her "imps" as in fairy pixie mischievous children in a totally innocent way. I've run across two people now who think that word has horrible connotations.

I guess to each his own.

Kiddos doesn't bother me and I do like it better than kids. My Mom raises goats so when we say kids she thinks baby goats.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Doesn't bother me at all.

The term f*ck-trophies.....THAT bothers me!!!

A LOT!!!

:svengo: Smelling salts, please!

Well, yes, I should think so!

Here's a question? Does the word, "imp," bother anyone? I was raised with my Mom calling us her "imps" as in fairy pixie mischievous children in a totally innocent way. I've run across two people now who think that word has horrible connotations.

I LOVE the word imp! My DS3 is Mr. IMPudence so, no, I don't object. :D

ETA: Merriam-Webster's B definition (after A: a small demon) is a mischievous child. That's how I use it.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I hear it as an affectionate term. My mom called my sister and I her "kiddos" and I call my kids that... not online though. To me, it's more of a conversational term used when speaking than when writing. That said, there is a certain tone that, when used to say "kiddos," seems condescending to me, but I hear it rarely.

Now "rugrats," that term bugs me... but that's just me. It doesn't bother others, so to each his own.

Lately, I have been seeing people online refer to their children as kiddos all the time. I don't know what it is about that word but it drives me NUTS! It seems so goofy to me, I don't know. What is everyone else's take on this?

Michelle

Why does it drive you nuts? I use it all the time.

Usually I call them my kiddos or kidlets or even little ducks. They are terms of affection.

:svengo: Smelling salts, please!

Well, yes, I should think so!

I LOVE the word imp! My DS3 is Mr. IMPudence so, no, I don't object. :D

I have never heard that term before. That is just a trashy way to refer to kids. Who does that???.

The quote did not quote the entire thing properly, I was referring to the trophy remark.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have never heard that term before. That is just a trashy way to refer to kids. Who does that???.

The quote did not quote the entire thing properly, I was referring to the trophy remark.

Thanks! I thought you really objected to the term imp for a minute there. :lol:

I have NEVER heard the other term before either. Very, very disturbing and disgusting.

Thanks! I thought you really objected to the term imp for a minute there. :lol:

I have NEVER heard the other term before either. Very, very disturbing and disgusting.

No, no bad feelings toward the term imp...

just the trophy thing. Gross!!!

That takes a certain kind of person. Wow!!! It makes me glad to be living out in the country with no friends.

Repeat after me, "I love my bubble."

I clicked no because I don't think I'm characterized by it, but I have probably used it once or twice. It does not bother me to hear (see?) others use it.

But I'm pretty sure my kiddos would think differently... they always grin knowingly at each other when someone calls them that!

And how do you really spell the word, anyway? Is it kiddos, or kiddoes? Neither looks right...

Edited by AuntieM
corrected spelling

I call mine kiddos both online and irl. I also have been known to call them kidlets, hooligans, punks and monsters, it all depends on the day and who I am talking to.

I also do the bigs/littles that someone else mentioned. My kids know who I am refering to if I say the bigs need to do so-and-so, the littles are going to x etc.

Edited by swellmomma

When my kids are in the car, and we are ready to get out, I almost always say "ok, kiddies, let's go!" to them because they think it's hilarious, it reminds them of kittens, and I just like saying it.

I don't think I would say it in front of anyone, it is kind of weird and not funny but my kids think the word kiddie is sooooo dang funny!

My take is that it's funny, the things that drive people (all-inclusive) NUTS.;) I've gotta admit, I've never noticed or thought about the use of "kiddos", although I don't use the term myself. I recall in the past someone here complained about the term "kids", e.g. "Children aren't small goats".:tongue_smilie: Again, not on my radar. As a mother of boys, I confess to getting to a bit defensive in response to the term "boybarians", but Camy and I (Camy, mother of many boybarians, used to post here regularly) formed a friendship nonetheless.:)

:iagree:

and "trashy term" puts it lightly. That's offensive!!! Thankfully *I've* never heard it used. Don't know how'd I'd respond! That's HORRID.

Edited by Denisemomof4

I guess to each his own.

Kiddos doesn't bother me and I do like it better than kids. My Mom raises goats so when we say kids she thinks baby goats.

no response from Impish on this one? What? :confused:

My children all attended public kindergarten with the same wonderful teacher. He called them "kiddoes," and sealed the term of affection for me. I had been rather persnickety about kids being goats before this enlightenment!;)

Kiddos doesn't bother me. My initials are M.F. and that's what my mom always called me (still does). I didn't realize until I was about 13 why my friends and siblings thought it was so funny. :glare:

OH MY!!! :smilielol5:

I once sent an email to my friend's school to let them know I'd be picking up her kids again. I did it often, her hubby was dying and this private school was used to seeing me. Well, apparently I left out one little letter in my name. They called the kids over the INTERCOM to let them know that DENSE would be picking them up today. :crying: I really took that one personally. :angry:

:D

After reading the other posts, I realize how much I dislike the negative references in general. I remember my oldest being hurt when an adult referrred to him as a "little monkey." She was being friendly, but he didn't understand. I have not used any of the terms listed, they feel like name calling.

I did say, "handsome," "superstar," "gentlemen," "hijos," "hermanos," "hombres," and may other positive terms. This thread has me considering what effect this sort of negative name calling might have on little ears. We don't like them calling each other negative things...

None of those terms really bother me. Not to the point that it would register as "off" if I heard someone using them.

I didn't know what an "imp" was - interesting! Both the fairies connotation and the mischievious one. When I see the word IMP, I always just register it as "gimp" for some reason.

I guess the only word that gives me pause is "munchies" - as in "Bring some munchies to the party." What an odd word! Having absolutely nothing to do with children, kiddos, kids, or imps :)

I didn't see an option for other so I didn't respond to the poll itself. I will occasionally call my kids "kiddos" but usually only if I"m talking to a person who uses that turn of phrase. I don't normally use it myself. It doesn't bother me at all what anyone calls their kids. They are their kids. As long as they aren't being verbally abusive or obviously crushing their spirits with nasty names, I wouldn't really think twice about what pet name anyone has for their kids.

I don't call mine kiddos, but it doesn't bother me. Our are usually munchkins, or chitlins. And, yes, I know what chitlins (chitterlings) are. Not at all connected. One of my older girls said chitlins for children when she was little. It just stuck.

Oh, and hooligans on occasion, or laughing hyenas.

Janet