Menu

Does the term "kiddos" bother you?

Do you call your children "kiddos" online?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you call your children "kiddos" online?

• No Way! I can't stand when people do that!
    • No, but it doesn't bother me if others do.
    • Yes! I love my little kiddos!!!

It's right up there with calling one's husband a "hubby." I don't know why I find it irritating, but I do. It has nothing to do with wanting children to be called by something more formal.

I actually can't think of when I have heard a person use that in real life though - it seems like a tv thing.

My take is that it's funny, the things that drive people (all-inclusive) NUTS.;) I've gotta admit, I've never noticed or thought about the use of "kiddos", although I don't use the term myself. I recall in the past someone here complained about the term "kids", e.g. "Children aren't small goats".:tongue_smilie: Again, not on my radar. As a mother of boys, I confess to getting to a bit defensive in response to the term "boybarians", but Camy and I (Camy, mother of many boybarians, used to post here regularly) formed a friendship nonetheless.:)

I remember the "kids aren't small goats" poster. :001_rolleyes: And, I hear you on the term "boybarians." I'll also add that I truly hate it when people pass off bad behaviour from boys as "boys will be boys." It just worsens the whole boybarian stereotype.

But... I am digressing.

punks, hooligans and monsters? You better save it, honey. You haven't any teens yet!!!

:D

:lol: That's the scary part, given the last 10 days with these kids, they may not make it to the teen years though. Generally when I use those terms it is with family members, like telling my sister I have to get hte little monsters ready for bed, or that the hooligans have destroyed the house again. Most of the time the term is used affectionately though sometimes not so much when I am due for a break.

All right... it's me.... in case you didn't remember, I recently referred to my children as kiddos... oops!

JK. Well, I did, but I'm not going to apologize for it. I don't like calling them kids because I've heard "children are not goats!" and the person saying that referred to goats as sinners who are being separated from the saved and being sent to hell... well, I've heard too many people call children kids meaning their offspring, not the hell sent little ones... Anyway, my apologies ARE offered if that explanation offends anyone, because I am a Bible believing Christian and I do believe God will judge each of us as to our response to whether or not we accept Jesus' sacrifice of his life in our place for our salvation..... but most people say kids simply meaning their "kids"!!! (children!)

But, yeah, I use kiddos. I don't use hubby. I don't want to type "children" out all the time or have to be stuck using only "children". And I don't want to use offspring... and litter would tick me off, as I do not believe that I am an animal!

Anyway.... I hope everyone, no matter what term they use or what gets on their nerves, has had a fabulous weekend!

Lately, I have been seeing people online refer to their children as kiddos all the time. I don't know what it is about that word but it drives me NUTS! It seems so goofy to me, I don't know. What is everyone else's take on this?

YES!! It drives me nuts also.

Why does it drive you nuts? I use it all the time.

I don't really have a reason, just the word itself bugs me....

I use it all the time (it's on my siggy line too). I'm honestly baffled why the term would irritate anyone :confused::confused::confused:.

I'm baffled at myself, I don't know why exactly it annoys me....

It's right up there with calling one's husband a "hubby." I don't know why I find it irritating, but I do.

Yes! That bugs me as well.

Well, I did, but I'm not going to apologize for it. I don't like calling them kids because I've heard "children are not goats!" and the person saying that referred to goats as sinners who are being separated from the saved and being sent to hell... well, I've heard too many people call children kids meaning their offspring, not the hell sent little ones... Anyway, my apologies ARE offered if that explanation offends anyone, because I am a Bible believing Christian and I do believe God will judge each of us as to our response to whether or not we accept Jesus' sacrifice of his life in our place for our salvation..... but most people say kids simply meaning their "kids"!!! (children!)

Wow.... that would definitely annoy me - the whole making a "kid" reference into a whole biblical debate against someone!

If I figure out what it is about kiddos (ewww, I typed it!) that irks me so, I will let you know.....

I don't use kids because I can only think of baby goats when I hear it so I usually say children or when feeling less "formal" I'll use kiddos. Don't ask me how the extra letters on the end make it better. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Dh calls our dc kiddos, and I don't use it IRL but do call them that online when dc gets repetitive. I grew up being called kidlets, so that one doesn't bother me, either.

I used to call my dc chicks when I just had the girls. Now I tend to call them peeps or troops when I am rounding them up and various food names individually: cupcake, pumpkin, peanut, etc.

I don't mind it. We are such an informal family. "Kids" doesn't bother me either. We've had baby goats and they are just too cute and fun. However, I've been known to call my children my monkeys, my ducks and my crazies as well. It is all in good light hearted affection. :)

"Kiddos" joins the ranks of the other "beloved" internet expressions - whether we like it or feel it's something we could do w/o it :lol:

As for me, I love my "kiddos". No love lost in using the term.:grouphug:

Here's a question? Does the word, "imp," bother anyone? I was raised with my Mom calling us her "imps" as in fairy pixie mischievous children in a totally innocent way. I've run across two people now who think that word has horrible connotations.

I guess to each his own.

Kiddos doesn't bother me and I do like it better than kids. My Mom raises goats so when we say kids she thinks baby goats.

*checks name tag* Nope, can't say Imp bothers me at all! :lol:

I have only come in contact with the term online. I don't use it, but I don't really have an opinion for or against it.

What is a yard ape?

Yard ape is a kid old enough to play in the yard. :001_huh: Awful term.

:smilielol5:

what about wild banshee? :001_huh:

no response from Impish on this one? What? :confused:

I can't be everywhere ya know :tongue_smilie:

The only one that bothers me is accidents.

Me too. I always think how hurtful that could be to the child to be called an accident. Or an 'oops'. Even if the pregnancy wasn't planned, that just isn't the right thing to call a child, imo.

Janet

• 11 years later...
On 10/4/2009 at 8:29 PM, Michelle My Bell said:

Lately, I have been seeing people online refer to their children as kiddos all the time. I don't know what it is about that word but it drives me NUTS! It seems so goofy to me, I don't know. What is everyone else's take on this?

Michelle

The people using the term “kiddos” are a bunch of unoriginal followers trying to imitate Joanna Gaines who originally coined the term. I can’t stand it. Now there’s effeminate 30 something males saying it at the gym. Drives me nuts. 

• Haha 1