Menu

What's on the menu tonight? (my confession)

Jane

:thumbup: We're having Cinnamon Apple Dutch Babies! :thumbup:

....dare I brag about something so unhealthy? If I use honey instead of brown sugar will that redeem our meal a tad? :blushing:

So what are you all having?

I didn't know what these were, so I looked them up and boy do they look good!

we're having homemade macaroni and cheese.

....dare I brag about something so unhealthy? If I use honey instead of brown sugar will that redeem our meal a tad? :blushing:

I don't know if I've beaten you or tied you.... but tonight is "Cocoa Krispies"!!! :lol::blush: I've been pushing that request off forever, and tonight I just feel like going simple and fun. LOL.

I don't know if I've beaten you or tied you.... but tonight is "Cocoa Krispies"!!! :lol::blush: I've been pushing that request off forever, and tonight I just feel like going simple and fun. LOL.

Throw in a banana and we'll call it even. :D:blushing:

um, ok, I didn't know what this was either. So I googled it. Thanks a lot, now I want that. :tongue_smilie:

Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1818,155178-242206,00.html

Do you have a link to the recipe for your muffins? :drool5:

Dude, the muffins ROCK. I got the recipe from this board somewhere. My boys convinced me they are 'healthy' if you eat them as a muffin, and they only count as a 'snack' if you put frosting on them and turn them into a cupcake. :D

easy nachos...ok...bag of chips/ salsa/ cooked chicken w/ cheese melted in the microwave...everyone gets their own plate ....

not really healthy, but that's all i could manage tonite...

~~Faithe

There's these perfectly round breaded patties thingies from the frozen food section of the grocery store that supposedly have chicken in them...I'm making chicken burgers with them. Pairing the burgers with frozen fries. For dessert, Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake with Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge frosting.

All dairy free!

My saving grace for "healthy eating" is that the only dairy free hamburger buns I could find are 100% whole wheat ones from Orowheat.

dinner:

carrot lentil casserole

salad

crusty garlic bread

(The bread would have been homemade, but when I came home from the library, I discovered my bread machine had vibrated off the kitchen counter onto the floor and broken to bits. I wasted three cups of freshly ground wheat. ugh)

dessert:

homemade cherry/blueberry cobbler with freshly whipped cream

For the kids (& my mom who dropped by with tomatoes): grilled hamburgers on whole wheat buns with the works (tomato slices, onions, pickles etc) baked beans and Schwan's curly fries.

For me: another really large salad (ala Eat to Live) followed by frozen raspberries w/soymilk.

It was a mad- dash day, and too much running around. Dinner was frozen pizza (which I did manage to bake and not burn) , and now me here with a glass of wine, wasting time

Ta-ding...without the "mad-dash" bit :D.

I also added a salad or carrots/broccoli/cucs/cauliflower and dip and grapes (for all those non-wine drinkers)

I haven't posted in a long while, but I thought what better way to jump back in. Here is what we ate tonight and what's for dinner the rest of the week.

Wednesday: Miniburgers, fries and baked beans, with some of the leftover apple desserts from the weekend.

Thursday: Pot roast, instaspuds, and a veggie to be decided. Dessert will probably still be something apple but if not then I have ice cream in the freezer.

Friday: Alice in springs chicken (inspired from Out Back) with fried potatoes and cream corn. Dessert will be chocolate cuppies.

Saturday: Steak, baked potatoes, with a salad. Dessert will be something tasty but I am really not sure what I will feel like baking this week.

Sunday: It’s someone else’s job today.

Happy Eatting:001_smile:

Can I get an invite to dinner? :lol:

We had homemade dim sum.

Really? Could you share your recipe? I love quinoa but have trouble finding decent recipes that use it.

I don't really have a recipe so much....I kind of toss stuff in without measuring lol

I usually roast a chicken in the oven (olive oil, seasonings, onion, garlic - covered cast iron dutch oven at 350 for 2-3h), pick off the best bits of meat, then boil the bones for the broth (5 lb chicken is usually enough for 4 meals). I go kind of heavy on the seasonings because this is the only seasoning the broth gets.

I saute 1 onion, 1 bell pepper (red adds a nice color), and a couple stalks of celery in a bit of olive oil (I usually use the olive oil that is on top of the broth as it's already seasoned - probably not the healthiest though because I'm sure some of it is chicken fat). I probably add 1qt of broth, chicken, & frozen peas. Then I slice up 4-5 carrots and steam them (I don't like how they turn the soup orange if they are boiled in it). Once the broth is boiling, carrots are pretty much done, just toss them in. Then I add about 1/2 C of rinsed quinoa and cook it until it spirals out (15-20?). Salt to taste.

It's nothing fancy, but it is definitely a healthy comfort food :D It's also one of those meals you almost can't mess up, so toss in anything else you like.

The only tricky part is quinoa never seems to stop soaking up liquid lol So it should be served right away, and it doesn't save well. What I listed above is enough to feed the 5 of us (3 kids).

That is so funny. We are having Papa Murphie's cinnamon bread which I can only pretend is healthy because it has oatmeal on it and was made by my own child, and still I could only get one child to eat any. I wanted it when I bought it but the head spinning is inducing nausea and the other child passed out hours ago.

We had lemon garlic pasta with chicken and tons of spinach in it.

This sounds yummy! Could you post a recipe or how you made it?

Today I tried something very different for me! I used Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner book and made Crock Goulash: you brown pork pieces with onion and garlic then dump it in the crock-pot. Shred red cabbage and dump it in the crock-pot, then salt, pepper, paprika and some ketchup.

Let it cook all day, then about 30 mins before you serve, you mix up ww flour, sour cream and cardamon seeds, then mix it in the goulash.

WOW! It was really, really good. Just, very different than anything I've ever cooked or tasted before. I served it over mashed potatoes.

Dessert was a graham cracker pie crust with the typical cream cheese/confectioner's sugar in the bottom, topped with a can of cherry pie filling, and a dab of whipped cream on top.