Menu

Random: Phrases That Bug Me

For some reason, there are certain phrases that just bug the heck out of me! For example: "pull into" as in "We're just now pulling into the driveway."

What the...? No one is pulling anything! Shouldn't we say driving in, or turning in, or going in? But pulling? WHY???

Another one that gets me is "taking a bath." What? Where are we taking it? Why do we say that?

Anyone else? I can't be alone. Unite with me!!! What are yours? Tell all of us so we can be bothered to distraction by them, too! :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, there are certain phrases that just bug the heck out of me! For example: "pull into" as in "We're just now pulling into the driveway."

What the...? No one is pulling anything! Shouldn't we say driving in, or turning in, or going in? But pulling? WHY???

I wonder if it comes from the horse and buggy days, as in the horses are pulling the wagon down the street. My hubby and I call pulling out of a parking spot "onaning."

On Long Island, people talk about "having a catch" What? I play catch with my children. I do not 'have a catch'! :D

In my 20 years living in NY, I also heard these phrases that really bugged me. I never quite got used to them.

"I have to make" :001_huh: [First time I heard that it was from the 4 yr old I was nannying. I replied, "what do you have to make?" :lol:]

"I am going to stand on line" [i always look for a line to stand on]

Not picking on LI'ers. I have many, many, many friends there and I adore them. Those phrases always did bug me though.

On Long Island, people talk about "having a catch" What? I play catch with my children. I do not 'have a catch'! :D

In my 20 years living in NY, I also heard these phrases that really bugged me. I never quite got used to them.

"I have to make" :001_huh: [First time I heard that it was from the 4 yr old I was nannying. I replied, "what do you have to make?" :lol:]

Not picking on LI'ers. I have many, many, many friends there and I adore them. Those phrases always did bug me though.

Man! I forgot about these, but ALL of them get on my last nerve! My ex-husband is from Brooklyn and I swear he said these things just to get to me. It worked. :D

If someone said "get down off the car" I would imagine them talking to someone sitting on the hood or roof of the car. :lol:

Yes, that is what I would imagine. You're not really ON the car so much as IN it.

There is a weird habit around here where "anymore" is used in the positive, i.e. "I'm working at the bank anymore."

My step-dad used to say things like "Are you going with?" and then stand there, waiting for my reply. I was standing there, waiting for the rest of his sentence. :D

"meds" who is a non-medical professional. Is it really that difficult to say medications?

I also dislike "product." As in please restock the shelves with product. Why can't you say "the product," it also seems to be used singularly when if feels like it should be plural. (in certain cases, I understand that that is grammatically correct, but not in every single usage!!!)

The word "Blog" also gets me.

to "throw up". makes no sense at all. ;) You're not throwing anything and it doesn't go up it goes out. :eek:

That is so funny! I have a girlfriend of 17 years who cannot stop saying "throw out". And now that she has 3 kids, one of whom throws up when the wind changes direction, it's just out of control. She's from China but she's been here forever. Her 7 yo son is always correcting her. If her kids are sick she can say it 10 times in one conversation. It's amazing :D

The one that gets me is "my bad"

I don't know why, but it makes my stomach churn.

This place is starting to make me nervous...there are SO MANY things to do and say, AND wrongly punctuate that irritate people! :tongue_smilie:

• "put up" - for example, "I'm going to put up some preserves" or "I just bought some Christmas presents to put up for later."
  • My husband always says, "borrow me" for example, "He borrowed me the book" if a friend has loaned him a book to read. This is a Minnesota thing...is it elsewhere??? It drives me NUTS! He knows its backwards and says it anyway!
  • Nordstroms. Boeings. Subways.

That is so funny! I have a girlfriend of 17 years who cannot stop saying "throw out". And now that she has 3 kids, one of whom throws up when the wind changes direction, it's just out of control. She's from China but she's been here forever. Her 7 yo son is always correcting her. If her kids are sick she can say it 10 times in one conversation. It's amazing :D

The one that gets me is "my bad"

I don't know why, but it makes my stomach churn.

This place is starting to make me nervous...there are SO MANY things to do and say, AND wrongly punctuate that irritate people! :tongue_smilie:

LOL That last part of what you said made me laugh out loud! hehe I am so paranoid of using an apostrophe to pluralize now whereas before I was blissfully ignorant! Those poor little kittens. ;)

There is a price to knowledge isn't there? And with my poor ps education I'm certain that I'm a walking felony to many people here. ;) :D. I also have to confess to you that I say, "my bad" all. the. time. I minister to preteens though so it just kind of rubbed off on me. :blushing: hehe Sorry in advance.

to "throw up". makes no sense at all. ;) You're not throwing anything and it doesn't go up it goes out. :eek:

Not to get all technical and nit picky, but throw up actually is accurate, when you consider it comes up from your stomach, up through your esophagus...and pretty violently too.

*runs before someone smacks her*

My dh and his family are from Greece, so they have a few oddities, :lol:, one of which is language translation, or rather, attempted language translation.

The ones that bother me the most:

"Let me put you some food." or "Ma, can you put me some food?" I always respond by "put it where?" to which I get loud sighs and the odd finger waving in my face.

Also, "close the lights" or "open the lights" :blink:

Not to get all technical and nit picky, but throw up actually is accurate, when you consider it comes up from your stomach, up through your esophagus...and pretty violently too.

*runs before someone smacks her*

LOL But you're still not throwing anything. Unless there is some microscopic hand throwing that puke up from your stomach through your esophagus like a 90 mph fast ball. ;) hehehe

Some of us (me) in the South have strange ways of saying things....my husband is from the Midwest and he likes to joke about these things:

"Will you carry me to the store?" (as in the car, not in your arms)

"Cut off the lights..."

"I might could do that...."

"Put up your clothes..." (as in "put away")

"Why is your book up under the coffee table?"

Of course, I always come back with "You need to get some objects for your prepositions!"......Midwesterners like to say "You wanna come with?"

However, apart from all the silliness above, the two phrases that really make me tighten my jaw are:

"I seen ...." and "I come" (in the past tense)....as in, "I come into the house, and I seen a big mess".......

• Nordstroms. Boeings. Subways.

The Wal-marts. As in, "I need to go to the walmarts and get me some bread."

Get ME some *whatever* irks me too. If you say, "I am going to get some bread" that is totally sufficient. There is never a reason to say "I am going to get ME some bread." Ugh. My older son got in this habit for awhile and dh and I both went nutty trying to break him from it.

This one perplexes me.... sorry, but I have to...

*** Young eyes avert if you please - Warning ***

"Let's have sex" "We had sex" "They were having sex"

You don't "have" run? Or "have" swim? :confused:

Thought it sounds silly... but wouldn't it be "They were sexing" or "Lets sex" ?

I dunno... Just throwing that out there!

There are some Southern and Northern ones that are just funny... I know I'll think of some good specifics later... lol :001_huh:

flying blind- no, you are on the ground and can see fine

keep in touch-usually you say this to people you won't see in person so touching is not possible

turn a corner-I visualize a city block and someone turning at the corner

drive the boat-I don't own a boat but isn't there another word for operating a boat? Driving is for your car-right?-I'm probably wrong on this one though

make your peace-make implies you are actually building something but peace is an abstract term

ETA: make your bed, make friends, etc-you aren't really making anything

Edited by Pajama Mama

There is really only one thing I can think of and nobody's mentioned it yet! It's "those ones." My DH says it all the time. I ask him which kind of treat he'd like at the store and he'll say, "Those ones that are on the shelf by X," or I'll ask him if he can grab my bottle of headache pills out of the cabinet and he'll say, "Those ones in the green bottle?" It drives me INSANE. I am constantly correcting him. The worst part about it is that the kids have picked it up. I am working on them, too.

:banghead:

There is really only one thing I can think of and nobody's mentioned it yet! It's "those ones." My DH says it all the time. I ask him which kind of treat he'd like at the store and he'll say, "Those ones that are on the shelf by X," or I'll ask him if he can grab my bottle of headache pills out of the cabinet and he'll say, "Those ones in the green bottle?" It drives me INSANE. I am constantly correcting him. The worst part about it is that the kids have picked it up. I am working on them, too.

:banghead:

That's funny. I say "thingy(say thing E)" when I can't quite remember the correct word for what I want to say. Anything technical is a thing-y. "Honey, we need the connector thing-y to fix the pool filter." It annoys dh alot.

How about, "Shut Up!" used as an expression of disbelief. The first time I remember hearing it used that way was in the movie Freaky Friday.

I don't like the original use of the expression either....

Uh oh! I use this one all the time. :lol: This is not a bad saying. It's a GOOD saying! :lol:

The midwest dropping of the pronouns:

"I went with"

Um, you went with who? With her, with them, or with me??!

And also one that is proper one bugs me.

"Yes, let's"

I can't stand making "let us" a contraction. I don't even like saying "yes, let us" it sounds so snobby.

:lol: That's so funny! I grew up on the west coast, and these phrases always pop out at me when I hear them on TV (the show King of Queens comes to mind...I think I've heard all of these on that show.) One other one I've noticed .....they say "tornament" instead of "tournament".

I love King of Queens btw....one of my favorite shows! :001_smile:

Uh oh! I use this one all the time. :lol:

That's ok :001_smile:. I think it's a given that we all say and/or do things that annoy others. Take for instance my use of the word dude :lol:---which I learned from my 10 yo son :001_smile:. While I don't use it outside my family, I say it all the time around my kids and dh.

I detest "How come?"

I'm guessing it evolved from "How did it come to be that ......?

But for my money, a simple "Why?" sounds much nicer. :)

-----------------------------

Couldn't care less. Couldn't Couldn't Couldn't Couldn't

Not could.

Couldn't

I cannot stand "LIKE"!!!!! It's like driving me crazy the way teenagers like put the word like in every like other word they like say. Is that only happening here? I've made it a banned word at co-op.

It also bothers me when people cut the word "another" in half and put "whole" in the middle of it. "I have a whole 'nother problem."

~

Leanna

Some of us (me) in the South have strange ways of saying things....my husband is from the Midwest and he likes to joke about these things:

"Will you carry me to the store?" (as in the car, not in your arms)

"Cut off the lights..."

"I might could do that...."

"Put up your clothes..." (as in "put away")

"Why is your book up under the coffee table?"

Of course, I always come back with "You need to get some objects for your prepositions!"......Midwesterners like to say "You wanna come with?"

However, apart from all the silliness above, the two phrases that really make me tighten my jaw are:

"I seen ...." and "I come" (in the past tense)....as in, "I come into the house, and I seen a big mess".......

Oh goodness, yes, I have had to adjust to these since moving to the South. Around here you not only cut things (lights, power,music) off, you also cut them ON. Also, no one "presses" or "pushes" a key or a button, they "mash" them. "Is that computer running?" "No, I didn't cut it on." "Well, mash the start button!"

I'm a transplanted Midwesterner, though, and I frustrate people all the time with my prepositions at the end of the sentence. "Where is the start button at?"

Trouble is, I'm fixin' to start talking this way myself. I might could carry you to the WalMart. We'll grab our buggies and get a big ol' pile of groceries! :tongue_smilie:

The improper usage that yanks my chain is "lay" instead of "lie". When Eric Clapton sang "Lay down, Sally" there are four possible interpretations:

1. Someone was carrying Sally into the room.

2. Eric Clapton was using colloquial language to make a colorful lyric.

3. Eric Clapton didn't know any better.

4. Sally was a goose.

No one has mentioned my pet peeve phrases:

1) Switch up - "You can switch up this recipe to make...."

2) Change up - "Is anyone going to change up their curriculum this year?"

These are SOOOO annoying and so grammatically incorrect. Just...get rid of the "up". You don't need it!

The improper usage that yanks my chain is "lay" instead of "lie". When Eric Clapton sang "Lay down, Sally" there are four possible interpretations:

1. Someone was carrying Sally into the room.

2. Eric Clapton was using colloquial language to make a colorful lyric.

3. Eric Clapton didn't know any better.

4. Sally was a goose.

My money's on #4.

That's funny. I say "thingy(say thing E)" when I can't quite remember the correct word for what I want to say. Anything technical is a thing-y. "Honey, we need the connector thing-y to fix the pool filter." It annoys dh alot.

Even worse I say Thingy-ma-doer (pronouonced thing-E-ma-Doo-Er), and drive other crazy with it.

I bite my tongue when someone sarcastically says,

"I could care less"

It's I COULDN'T care less. Here you are trying to be smart alecky and above it all, and you say that you COULD care less, meaning you still care,

I just want to be snarky, but bite my tongue (sarcasm like that already grates, but sarcasm coupled with ignorance is just such a easy target)

Trouble is, I'm fixin' to start talking this way myself. I might could carry you to the WalMart. We'll grab our buggies and get a big ol' pile of groceries! :tongue_smilie:

HAHAHA!! Looks like you're adjusting well to the southern life!! When you go back up north, you may need to take an interpreter with you!!