Menu

Random: Phrases That Bug Me

Mine's not a phrase, it's a word being pronounced incorrectly in movies, on the radio, in commercials, and on audiobooks.

It's fr ustrated NOT fu strated.

Thanks for listening...

:)

I have an annoying pronounciation for you- chim-ley. As in, there is smoke coming out of the chimley(chimney). I guess it's a Pittsburgh thang. MIL says it and so does dh. Dd started saying it like that and I had to correct her. There is no L in the dang word. Dude, it's so fustrating(:D)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those midwesterners that will easily without remorse end a sentence with a preposistion.

When I ask someone "Want to come with?" do they really need me to add the "Me", isn't the fact that I'm the one asking implying that they would be coming with me? I guess to me it's sort of like the understood "you" from the beginning of the sentence, I don't have to say "Do you" before want because it's understood.

Now my pet peeve is those that say "Can I ax you something" instead of ask Yes, you may ask me something, but please don't ax me anything.

:scared: I do so many of these things! But I'll throw in my own. According to a friend of mine, this is an Ohio thing, but it probably spreads a bit further than that. I hate when "to be" is left out of a sentence.

"My car needs fixed."

"This bill needs paid."

Not much bothers me, but this makes my shoulders crawl up around my ears!

My DH also says "Close the light," and the opposite is sometimes "Put the light," both of which are a translation thing.

Yes, that is what I would imagine. You're not really ON the car so much as IN it.

There is a weird habit around here where "anymore" is used in the positive, i.e. "I'm working at the bank anymore."

My step-dad used to say things like "Are you going with?" and then stand there, waiting for my reply. I was standing there, waiting for the rest of his sentence. :D

This is one that bugs me too! Northerners!

Here's another one that drives me nuts. Regardless. Not irregardless, that is a double negative which cancels out to make the positive. It is frustrating because regardless of my insistance on the word, my mother still says irregardless! :tongue_smilie:

Here's another funny my Greek in-laws have said, not a phrase but pronounciation: the word McLeod. It should sound like m'cloud, not mick-CLEE-odd.

Also, their relative via marriage is uncle Claude (french, so is pronounced c-LOW-d, rhymes with glowed) but my dh's family insists it is Clod, yes, as in a clod. :lol: Rhymes with cod. :lol: They say that is how you pronounce Maude, and so they refuse to change. I am left feeling sorry for Claude. :lol:

Were you seriously asking?

"Take" and "pull" are both words with many, many definitions and usages. The phrases that you mentioned are correct uses of those words.

In the phrase, "pull into the drive", the engine of the car is doing the pulling. We also say, pull away, or pull over, or pull back and many other interesting "pull" phrases.

We also take a hike and planes take off. Language is interesting isn't it?

Some of us (me) in the South have strange ways of saying things....my husband is from the Midwest and he likes to joke about these things:

"Will you carry me to the store?" (as in the car, not in your arms)

"Cut off the lights..."

"I might could do that...."

"Put up your clothes..." (as in "put away")

"Why is your book up under the coffee table?"

Of course, I always come back with "You need to get some objects for your prepositions!"......Midwesterners like to say "You wanna come with?"

However, apart from all the silliness above, the two phrases that really make me tighten my jaw are:

"I seen ...." and "I come" (in the past tense)....as in, "I come into the house, and I seen a big mess".......

I

I HATE HATE HATE the "carry me" thing! I first heard it when I moved to the South and it STILL makes my sking crawl! Actually all of these are bad.

If only everyone were perfect. Like me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a friend in college that would freak if someone asked him to -cut off the light! Of course, his reaction would cause us to say it constantly!:001_smile:

Deleted because I was having a brain fart. I am sure that will get someone's toga in a twist.

Edited by KidsHappen

What about "taking medicine"? My dh and his family always say "eat medicine", because in their language that's how you say it and they just translate it directly.. oh, that and instead of saying "turn down the radio" they say "slow the radio", again a foreign language import.

Talking medicine makes sense to me because you are usually given medicine by someone, such as the doctor or your mother. I picture a nurse walking into a hospital room, holding out her hand with a little cup in it with a pill in it saying, "Here, take your medicine."

What I hate is in Arkansas, they say "make a picture" or , "We're having our picture made." I say, take, although, come to think of it, that isn't any better. What should it be? What are we actually doing?

They also say here, "What grade did you make on your test?" I've always said "What grade did you get?" Which one makes more sense to you guys?

:scared: I do so many of these things! But I'll throw in my own. According to a friend of mine, this is an Ohio thing, but it probably spreads a bit further than that. I hate when "to be" is left out of a sentence.

"My car needs fixed."

"This bill needs paid."

Oh yeah! I'm also in Ohio, and that one makes me nuts! Also, everyone around here says, "Where's it at?" I cringe when I hear it. My dh says it, too, but I've told him repeatedly to stop doing that, and sometimes he remembers to say, "Where is it?"

Expressions that bug me: "on the same page" and "bells and whistles"

I'm surprised I haven't seen this one yet... Please. As in, could you repeat that please? When I first heard it I was trying to figure out what the person was asking for. I replied, of course with the classic Huh?

And I hate Flying by the seat of our pants. The mental images are just bizarre. And like, I totally hate that word like. Like they just use it like, way too much :001_huh:

"My car needs fixed."

"This bill needs paid."

My DH also says "Close the light," and the opposite is sometimes "Put the light," both of which are a translation thing.

YES it's an Ohio thing! It took me 3 years to cure DH of it and now when he sees his family again their constant "dropping of the be" annoys the heck out of him! lol!

This isn't a grammatical thing, but it irritates me when someone says, in response to a question, "Yes and No." Just give an explanation, for crying out loud. :tongue_smilie:

One that my husband says that bugs me is using the word "first" where he should say "beginning". For example, "In the first of the movie," or "At the first of the meeting." Blah!

What bugs my husband is when I say, "That room needs cleaned," instead of "needs cleaning", or "that diaper needs changed", instead of "needs changing." That might be regional thing though, I think, because everyone in my family thinks it sounds totally right. I know it's not right, though... can anyone explain why grammatically?

Edited by Erica in PA

When I ask someone "Want to come with?" do they really need me to add the "Me", isn't the fact that I'm the one asking implying that they would be coming with me? I guess to me it's sort of like the understood "you" from the beginning of the sentence, I don't have to say "Do you" before want because it's understood.

I don't think it is understood. :D When some previous posters were saying their pet peeve was "want to come with" I was actually waiting for the rest to see what the pet peeve was!

There is a weird habit around here where "anymore" is used in the positive, i.e. "I'm working at the bank anymore."

Can you please translate that sentence for me? I truly cannot figure out what that means! :lol:

My pet peeve is this!!!!!!!!!!!! or this?????????

I can see if you are really questioning something to do this: ?? or this: ?!?

I can understand two exclamation points if it is Very Exciting but more than 2 or 3 gets a little irritating.

Another Southern one...

"Monday week"

As in

"Loan me $10 and I'll pay you back Monday week" instead of "a week from Monday."

Is it really that hard to add the few extra words in there?

Nah....it's just too darn hot down here to expend that much energy to get the extra words out!!

Actually this is a big one with my mother....I'll say "a week from Monday" and she'll say "Monday week??".....yep

ETA: I'm glad I didn't exceed the two ?? !! limit! :)

\

ETA: I'm glad I didn't exceed the two ?? !! limit! :)

:lol: Actually I was waiting for someone to bring up some examples of when I've been a little over zealous with the punctuation! :D Or smilies. I can't help it, I love peppering my posts with smilies. :tongue_smilie: That MUST be someone's peeve! <restraining myself from using one.last.smilie>

My father has told only one joke in his life:

"Country boy from Ohio gets into Harvard. Gets off the bus and walks up to the first person he sees and asks, "Where's the library at?" To which the Harvard (snob) replies, "We at Harvard do not end our sentences with prepositions." The country boy scratches his head and rephrases, "Where's the library at, a**hole?"

Yes, I am an Ohioan, but I will never ask, "Wanna come with?"

My BIL from Virginia says that it irks him to hear us say "acrosst" instead of across, but then I kind of like to annoy him. :D

I've always hated....

"Oh, snap!"

"Hell's yeah!"

"Not for nothin'" (a NYC thing. I can't stand it). It runs along the lines of another phrase I hate, which is: "With all due respect"

"Summer" and "Lunch" used as verbs

"Supposably" (I hear this every day)

"Manha'an" (Manhattan), "mi 'ins" (mittens) Pronounce your friggin Ts.

"birfday" (don't care. I will correct this every time I hear it)

"Close the light"

"I gotta ax you somethin' "

"Wow. Just wow"

"I, personally"

"You shouldn't of"

"24/7" and even worse, "24/7/365"

"Don't even go there"

"Let's touch base"

"I'm keeping it real"

:glare:

My dh has kinda a cute one.

He says 'whenever' when he really means 'when'. It took me a while to figure out what he meant sometimes when we first started dating.

For example, dh will say 'I'll take this back to my dad whenever I go to his house tonight'. :001_huh: Hunh? Excuse me? Whatcha mean, 'whenever'? Didn't you just say it would be tonight?

It took me a few months of dating, but I finally pointed it out to him. He just kinda shrugged it off.

Now I do it, and the kids do, too. :001_smile:

:confused:

My dh has kinda a cute one.

He says 'whenever' when he really means 'when'. It took me a while to figure out what he meant sometimes when we first started dating.

For example, dh will say 'I'll take this back to my dad whenever I go to his house tonight'. :001_huh: Hunh? Excuse me? Whatcha mean, 'whenever'? Didn't you just say it would be tonight?

It took me a few months of dating, but I finally pointed it out to him. He just kinda shrugged it off.

Now I do it, and the kids do, too. :001_smile:

Mu ex husband is from VA and says "won't" when he should say "wasn't." For example: It won't my fault.

Now my pet peeve is those that say "Can I ax you something" instead of ask Yes, you may ask me something, but please don't ax me anything.

My eyes grow wide and I am speechless everytime I hear it!

"Dude" drives me insane.

"I'm going to 'unthaw' something from the freezer" - don't get me started!

"Pimp my...[anything]". Since when did "pimping" become something everyone happily and nonchalantly does??? If I hear one more child use this phrase I'm going to "flip out". (...I like "flip out" :tongue_smilie:)

Take for instance my use of the word dude :lol:---which I learned from my 10 yo son :001_smile:. While I don't use it outside my family, I say it all the time around my kids and dh.

My DD8 has grown up with her siblings being much older. She has learned some of their phrasology. One time when she wanted to know about a person who had called she said, "Chic or dude?" She was five! :blink:

We should not forget "well, the thing about it of it is..."

Another one that has to do with "of:"

I should of gone to the store yesterday.

That doesn't make sense! One of my closest friends says and writes that all the time, and I want to shake her by the shoulders and say "SHOULD HAVE SHOULD HAVE SHOULD HAVE!!!!!"

Clearly I have issues.

P.S. Sorry for the 4 exclamation points, to the person that bugs. :-)

I've always hated....

"Oh, snap!"

"Hell's yeah!"

"Not for nothin'" (a NYC thing. I can't stand it). It runs along the lines of another phrase I hate, which is: "With all due respect"

"Summer" and "Lunch" used as verbs

"Supposably" (I hear this every day)

"Manha'an" (Manhattan), "mi 'ins" (mittens) Pronounce your friggin Ts.

"birfday" (don't care. I will correct this every time I hear it)

"Close the light"

"I gotta ax you somethin' "

"Wow. Just wow"

"I, personally"

"You shouldn't of"

"24/7" and even worse, "24/7/365"

"Don't even go there"

"Let's touch base"

"I'm keeping it real"

:glare:

I think you're my long lost twin sister.

I bite my tongue when someone sarcastically says,

"I could care less"

It's I COULDN'T care less. Here you are trying to be smart alecky and above it all, and you say that you COULD care less, meaning you still care,

I just want to be snarky, but bite my tongue (sarcasm like that already grates, but sarcasm coupled with ignorance is just such a easy target)

LOL! This bugs me too!