Menu

Random: Phrases That Bug Me

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the previous response so this may be a repeat.

Just--as in below. Usually heard around here in prayers but not exclusively.

We just want to offer our thanks---

We just know you hear our prayers and know our hearts---

We just pray that--

We are just here together in worship---

If you want to offer thanks' date=' pray, or state that you Know your prayers are being heard, then do it! You truly don't need those *justs*.[/quote']

YES!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

But it is okay to call it Freddy's. They used to have an add campaign, "You'll find it at Freddy's" and it is so true...

Oh, and we also call Nordstrom Nordy's.

Nordy's is absolutely ok :) This may test your memory. Remember Frederick & Nelson? That was also Freddy's, but could be Frederick's or F&N.

I remember that Fred Meyer ad campaign. I'm old.

"partner" used as a verb, as in "we're partnering with the Widget Company to bring you..."

"Looking to," as in "we're looking to start a new class."

"All," probably more common in Calif, as in, "He's all, 'What are you doing?' and I'm all, "Chillin' out."

People who say, "No problem," instead of "You're welcome" when I say "thank you."

I don't mind "bling" when used sparingly. "Dude" is kind of funny, too, when used sparingly (Mark Twain used it in "A Connecticutt Yankee..."). You have to know when to use them and when not to.

I haven't read this whole list, but this one REALLY irks me...on boards and in emails, I see other Christian people say "PTL" and follow it with whatever great thing happened. I am a Christian, and PTL means 'praise the Lord'. But, they AREN'T EVEN PRAISING Him! They are just saying "PTL!"

YEEEEK!!! IF you are trying to PRAISE Him, do it! Don't use an acronym to do it! Good grief!

It took me the longest time to work out what on earth PTL meant. Everytime I see it I think Pre Term Labour :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Have you ever seen the movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium?

No, perhaps I should.

This has been a very interesting thread. One thing I've learned from it is that we're all annoying to somebody!! :D

Isn't that the truth! I'm just *so* gonna give up. right. now. :lol:

'by'

May I pick her up 'by' you? rather than May I pick her up at your house?

'We're staying by the Smiths this weekend' supposedly equals 'we're staying AT the Smith's this weekend".

OMG I cant' STAND IT. Drives me nuts. Absolutely crazy. Seems to be a NY transplant thing that has taken hold recently.

K

FARMiliar.

Listen for it, and you'll hear it mispronounced, too!

:)

All of the time. FebUary is a biggie too.

And "there's" when "there are" should be used. "There's six books on the table." AHHHHHHHHHHH!

There's the pictures we took on vacation.

Sound FERmiliar?

:D

This isn't a grammatical thing, but it irritates me when someone says, in response to a question, "Yes and No." Just give an explanation, for crying out loud. :tongue_smilie:

One that my husband says that bugs me is using the word "first" where he should say "beginning". For example, "In the first of the movie," or "At the first of the meeting." Blah!

What bugs my husband is when I say, "That room needs cleaned," instead of "needs cleaning", or "that diaper needs changed", instead of "needs changing." That might be regional thing though, I think, because everyone in my family thinks it sounds totally right. I know it's not right, though... can anyone explain why grammatically?

That room needs implies something *it still needs*. The very 'cleaned' clearly states that the cleaning already happened and is now in the past. You're mixing a future and a past tense term. To make it match you'd need to add *to be*......or state 'that room needs cleaning'.

Katherine

I'm one of those midwesterners that will easily without remorse end a sentence with a preposistion.

Where's Ms. Schneider AT? My riding instructor used to yell this all the of the time. It could have been any name but it was always punctuated by a gigantic, loud AATTTTTT at the end.

Midwest all the way.

K

Edited by cillakat

I used to give my boyfriend in college a hard time about his ancient Greek philosophers "Eusticud" (used to could) and "Eustiucud" (used to, you could). As in, "I used to could climb a rope, but I can't now" and, "Used to you could by gas for less than a dollar." The relationship didn't last. :tongue_smilie:

But Thing-y is just because of a word recall issue and "those ones" is just incorrect;)

I constantly overuse 'do' and 'thing' or 'thing-y' because of word recall issues....do that thing.....fix that thing-y.....where is the thing-y to do that thing?

Edited by cillakat

Am I the only one who caught this? :lol:

Well, duh. I didn't get it until you brought it up. The worst part? When I read it, I thought, "I don't get it, but the first part looks like that guy from the Bible . . ." :001_rolleyes: Need to go to bed . . .

My Mom and Grandma said that, as well. My Mom laughs when she says it because she knows it doesn't make any sense.

I think I remember that it does make sense. You are opening and closing circuits when you turn lights off and on. I have a vague memory of an old person explaining this to me a long time ago.

(I have only made it through about 4 of a million pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been said.)

Another one that has to do with "of:"

I should of gone to the store yesterday.

That doesn't make sense! One of my closest friends says and writes that all the time, and I want to shake her by the shoulders and say "SHOULD HAVE SHOULD HAVE SHOULD HAVE!!!!!"

Clearly I have issues.

P.S. Sorry for the 4 exclamation points, to the person that bugs. :-)

When I hear it, I just figure that it's a contraction: should've. When you say it out loud, it sounds pretty much the same. Of course, if it's written that way, that's a different story! "Prolly" (probably) and "use to" (used to) bug me like that too.

I haven't read all the previous response so this may be a repeat.

Just--as in below. Usually heard around here in prayers but not exclusively.

We just want to offer our thanks---

We just know you hear our prayers and know our hearts---

We just pray that--

We are just here together in worship---

If you want to offer thanks' date=' pray, or state that you Know your prayers are being heard, then do it! You truly don't need those *justs*.[/quote']

This reminds me of part of Tim Hawkins comedy routine. He talks about how some people use the word "just" and "Father" too much in their prayers then gives an example..."Father Father just just Father Father just and your justliness and justification" .... "JUST finish the prayer!"

It's hilarious to hear him do it:lol:

Here's a link to view it:

Edited by Charlotte