Menu

Random: Phrases That Bug Me

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMgoodness, I wish I could do multiple quotes. There are so many I agree with! (or is that, with which I agree? LOL)

Could care less.

Not pronouncing "t's"

Monday week (my mother does this. Why? I do not know)

anyways

hell to the no (what DOES this mean?)

the store (ie: I'm going to the Sam's. I'm going to the Macy's.)

unthaw. I had a roommate who'd say that. Drove me nuts!

The internet writing. (Ur 2 L8. It really does look stupid.)

!!??!!??!?!?!?!?! (are you asking a question, or are you excited about something. Pick one.)

irregardless

Others, that honestly, should just be obsolete:

Jew you down (as in, getting someone to lower a price. EX MIL, who claims to actually be a Messianic Jew, says this)

N*gger toes (term used for Brazil nuts--another EXMIL phrase--she used this in front of my biracial son.)

Oh no you di-int! (ugh!)

Adding an additional syllable to a word. As in, westerin, instead of western. Northerin, in stead of northern, etc. Add to that: Nineteen and eighty-two, instead of nineteen eighty-two. Are we adding or are we talking about a year?

It also bugs me when someone, usually in response to me telling them of some plan I have, "Oh, you don't want to do that! You want to..." Really? I do? I don't think so. Or, when I say I did something, I hear, "Oh, you didn't do that. What you mean is..." No, I said what I meant.

Wow, those are a lot of irritations! I must be surly this evening! LOL (grrrr!)

Also, their relative via marriage is uncle Claude (french, so is pronounced c-LOW-d, rhymes with glowed) but my dh's family insists it is Clod, yes, as in a clod. :lol: Rhymes with cod. :lol: They say that is how you pronounce Maude, and so they refuse to change. I am left feeling sorry for Claude. :lol:

that's funny because here there is a boy in ds's class named Claude with a french surname. It IS Clod. I hate saying it, it sounds so . . . ? rude, I guess.:001_huh:

The one that drives me the craziest....."center around."

Um....there's only one center and it's not around anything! It should be "center on." I have very vivid memories of my 11th grade literature teacher expounding on this point.

"Irregardless" drives me nuts, also, but it's been covered.

Another one that is especially grating to my nerves....using "mines" to mean "mine." As in, "That cookie is mines." Argh!

I also frequently point out that you cannot poke your eyes out. You could poke them in, but to poke them out, you'd have to go through the back of your head. I'm just saying.....

jeannie

My pet peeve is this!!!!!!!!!!!! or this?????????

I can see if you are really questioning something to do this: ?? or this: ?!?

I can understand two exclamation points if it is Very Exciting but more than 2 or 3 gets a little irritating.

I'm with you on this one. Superfluous punctuation is very annoying.

I think the over use of "LOL" or worse, using "ur" to mean "you are" on the internet is annoying. When I see someone who types every 3rd word in some internet code...

R U going 2 the store 2nite?

to be completely unintelligent. Even if they are really smart, that kind of typing makes them seem less so to me.

:iagree: I can't stand the "ur" phrase. Written slang also bugs me and the word seriously spelled "srsly". GAH!

I've always hated....

"Oh, snap!"

"Hell's yeah!"

"Not for nothin'" (a NYC thing. I can't stand it). It runs along the lines of another phrase I hate, which is: "With all due respect"

"Summer" and "Lunch" used as verbs

"Supposably" (I hear this every day)

"Manha'an" (Manhattan), "mi 'ins" (mittens) Pronounce your friggin Ts.

"birfday" (don't care. I will correct this every time I hear it)

"Close the light"

"I gotta ax you somethin' "

"Wow. Just wow"

"I, personally"

"You shouldn't of"

"24/7" and even worse, "24/7/365"

"Don't even go there"

"Let's touch base"

"I'm keeping it real"

:glare:

I am guilty of using "Oh, snap." What can I say, I'm an 80's girl. :D

I am with you on the "Wow. Just wow." I see that used here a lot and I find it to be disrespectful and just plain annoying.

I hate "touch base," as in, "I just wanted to touch base with you about..." Ugh. It would take me awhile just to point out all of the ways in which that seemingly innocent little phrase bugs me. ;)

I also loathe the phrase "fixin' to," as in "We're fixin' to go to the store." :001_huh:

These are great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds certain phrases annoying. Here are mine:

"might could" "We might could do that." Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard.

"fixin' to" No one is usually fixing anything. What's so hard about saying, "I'm going to...."

"couple a' few" "They'll be there in a couple a' few days." Which is it....a couple or a few?

I LOATHE the phrase, "It is what it is" !!!!

My sister says this constantly as a "I couldn't help it/could care less/ too bad if you don't like it, be tolerant" all purpose phrase! For instance, if she's hung over and can't do something she promised to do I'll hear, "yeah, I can't do x because I'm hung over....it is what it is" Or, "She was rude to me when I was wearing my insert overtly homosexual activity t shirt at church, I ain't goin' there again!" when I say that a better choice of clothes would probably be better for a funeral I hear "It is what it is!"

ARGGGH!!!!!

Come on, take some responsibility!!!

Liberry. As in, let's go to the Liberry to get some books. Lie Berry. It grates on me. And another one...Worsh. I've go to worsh the car. Potatas. There is an 'O' at the end. PotaTOES. And Cincinnata. It's an 'i' which doesn't make phonetical sense either, but it is pronounced Cincinnateeee.

And someone already mentioned Aks. I need to aks for permission.

I detest the phrase, "pick your brain" as in "let me pick your brain for a minute about homeschooling".

Makes me cringe.

Also on my list:

"no longer than we're gonna be". My husband says this: "no longer than we're gonna be gone, it should be okay".

Also, "no farther than"

"No farther than we're gonna go we should have enough time".

ugh

Oh, and he says "hamburger meat". NO NO NO!!!

We do not say ham pork or chicken poultry, so why must people say Hamburger MEAT?

• Nordstroms. Boeings. Subways.

The strange thing is that I knew a man who worked for Boeing for 20 years. He called it "Boeings." What is up with that?

I'll add a regional one to your list: Fred Meyer's. (Like Nordstrom, it is "Fred Meyer.") Perhaps they couldn't trust people to use apostrophes correctly, so they simplified the names? :lol:

Julie

When praying: "Father, we DO thank you..." (Why does that "do" need to be there???)

I thank you. I do thank you. The first is the present tense, the second is the present emphatic. I only know that because of studying other languages.

So it makes the prayer more emphatic. If that still doesn't make sense, try these two sentences: "I clean. I DO clean." The second way is way more defensive....like someone is looking at your living room and shaking his head sadly. :tongue_smilie:

Julie

" That is so not cool" or " That's not cool " when chastising poor, immoral, or beastly behavior. These are expressions are pathetic and inadequate.

I can't remember what his "poor or beastly" behavior was, but one time I said, "That is not cool" to my son. He asked me to PLEASE not say that. He did not say that it was "pathetic and inadequate" though. He just thought it sounded stupid.

Julie

What bugs my husband is when I say, "That room needs cleaned," instead of "needs cleaning", or "that diaper needs changed", instead of "needs changing." That might be regional thing though, I think, because everyone in my family thinks it sounds totally right. I know it's not right, though... can anyone explain why grammatically?

I'll take a stab at it. The word "cleaned" needs a helping verb. It wouldn't if you used a different form of "clean." "I need to clean that room; I need to change the diaper" are both correct. "To clean" is the infinitive form of the verb "clean," which is used because you already have the verb "need" (or "change" in the diaper sentence.)

So the correct form is "That room needs to be cleaned." In that sentence, "to" is not a preposition, it is part of the infinitive form of the verb "to be." It is in the infinitive because you already have a conjugated verb in that sentence: needs. If it wasn't there, you could say, "I clean the room." But since "cleaned" is an adjective here (think "cleaned room"), your verbs in this sentence are: "needs to be." The second verb is in the infinitive because......uh, that's a rule? Think of other sentences with two verbs: I like to run. "To run" is the infinitive form of "run." I should drive the car. Aack!!! That one doesn't work in English. It works in Latin, though!

Could somebody give a simpler explanation? I need more coffee. I'm also not entirely positive that the words "changed" (diaper) and "cleaned" (room) are adjectives, but I'm pretty sure.

Julie

I haven't read all the previous response so this may be a repeat.

Just--as in below. Usually heard around here in prayers but not exclusively.

We just want to offer our thanks---

We just know you hear our prayers and know our hearts---

We just pray that--

We are just here together in worship---

If you want to offer thanks, pray, or state that you Know your prayers are being heard, then do it! You truly don't need those *justs*.

24/7/365

And besides, if you want to use something like this, it would be 24/7/52

This next one might seem picky, but it still bugs me :D

I have TMJ.

Everyone does! TMJ is the name of the joint: temporomandibular joint. Everyone has two of them.

You can have TMJ pain, TMJ disorder, TMJ treatment, TMJ surgery.

I've had them all! *ouch*

You wouldn't say "I have knee" or "I have elbow".

Same idea. :tongue_smilie:

I can relate to quite a few mentioned. And I probably use a few of the annoying ones myself.

My pet peeve is "passed away" or "passed" it seems to me to be a cushy euphamism avoiding the D word. It's DEAD DIED DEATH. No avoiding it. "Passed" involves a ball as far as I'm concerned.

:iagree:

Have you ever seen the movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium?

I loathe, "Let's move forward on this"... and "Let's dialogue" That's the dumbest one yet. It's like all the office junkies of the world have to come up with words that sound more important than they really are.

Any office lingo. Drives me batty.

Oh yeah, and I also hate that hand phone symbol when people mention they called somebody, they put up the thumb and pinky to their ear. I mean do we really need a visual on "calling"? yeeeeeeek.

I haven't read this whole list, but this one REALLY irks me...on boards and in emails, I see other Christian people say "PTL" and follow it with whatever great thing happened. I am a Christian, and PTL means 'praise the Lord'. But, they AREN'T EVEN PRAISING Him! They are just saying "PTL!"

YEEEEK!!! IF you are trying to PRAISE Him, do it! Don't use an acronym to do it! Good grief!

Ok--I'll get some people upset, but I hate the way sooo many people use periods to bring emphasis to their words. For example, if they're upset, they'll type, "I'm just.so.upset!"

I know it's a device to show emphasis on each word, and I used to see it rarely in books and enjoyed it--when it was done rarely, but enough already! Someone does it in every.single.post.on this board and I'm so.sick.of.seeing.it.

And besides, if you want to use something like this, it would be 24/7/52

This next one might seem picky, but it still bugs me :D

I have TMJ.

Everyone does! TMJ is the name of the joint: temporomandibular joint. Everyone has two of them.

You can have TMJ pain, TMJ disorder, TMJ treatment, TMJ surgery.

I've had them all! *ouch*

You wouldn't say "I have knee" or "I have elbow".

Same idea. :tongue_smilie:

Similar to "I have heart palpitations." If your heart isn't palpitating, isn't that called....death?

Similar to "I have heart palpitations." If your heart isn't palpitating, isn't that called....death?

:lol:

Seriously though about the TMJ....if you REALLY have TMJ issues you should have by now researched it enough to understand that everyone has this 'joint.' I know....cuz I have TMJ issues. Pain. Episodes. Headaches that put me down.

Oh, LOL! I was eating dinner tonight when I realized that while I DO have a problem with the mispronunciation of the word frustrated, the word I should have been talking about in my earlier post as being mispronounced on the radio, in commercials, on audio books, and etc. is...

FAMILIAR!

My Dh and I keep hearing people saying...

FARMiliar.

Listen for it, and you'll hear it mispronounced, too!

:)

Edited by Serendipity

I haven't read all the previous response so this may be a repeat.

Just--as in below. Usually heard around here in prayers but not exclusively.

We just want to offer our thanks---

We just know you hear our prayers and know our hearts---

We just pray that--

We are just here together in worship---

If you want to offer thanks' date=' pray, or state that you Know your prayers are being heard, then do it! You truly don't need those *justs*.[/quote']

:lol:And I thought that was JUST a Protestant way of praying, I have heard that in every Protestant prayer group I have ever been in. Maybe it is a regional thing then?:lol:

Ok--I'll get some people upset, but I hate the way sooo many people use periods to bring emphasis to their words. For example, if they're upset, they'll type, "I'm just.so.upset!"

I know it's a device to show emphasis on each word, and I used to see it rarely in books and enjoyed it--when it was done rarely, but enough already! Someone does it in every.single.post.on this board and I'm so.sick.of.seeing.it.

This made me laugh out loud! It reminds me of a comedian who said that when he reads words. typed. with. a. period. after. them. he imagines someone behind that person poking them hard in the back with a forefinger as each word is typed.

Or something like that...lolol.

:)

I hate * liberry, for library

* when people refer to problems as challenges. Hey. They are problems.

* get her done. Gag me.

*when people say "I had MY surgery last week"

*scads - as in "you have scads of socks on the floor."

*the overuse of the word "just" in prayer

* lol

*the incorrect usage of pronoun or prepositions. "Where you is?" or "He all up in my goodies."