Menu

Do you feel like a homeschool outcast?

wendzu

We have just begun homeschooling and have looked into a couple of homeschool co-ops. The "problem" is when either my public school friends or my homeschool friends ask Why are you homeschooling, I get eyerolling and a you think your kids are so special sigh.... Thing is I just tell them the truth. I have cut down my response to: My daughter is 6 years old but is working at least 3 grade levels ahead in all subjects. I don't feel the public school system can meet her needs. I don't go into great detail, I am just trying to answer their question. Have you guys found the same level of misunderstanding?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just say that we're gonna keep doing what we've been doing until we hit a brick wall. :-) We'll just keep learning with her till we can't.... and change the subjects. I try not to say my children are ahead or behind. They're just people learning and when I can't get them info fast enough, and I feel like a teacher with 20+ students can.... I'll give them back to a school.

Carrie:-)

We have just begun homeschooling and have looked into a couple of homeschool co-ops. The "problem" is when either my public school friends or my homeschool friends ask Why are you homeschooling, I get eyerolling and a you think your kids are so special sigh.... Thing is I just tell them the truth. I have cut down my response to: My daughter is 6 years old but is working at least 3 grade levels ahead in all subjects. I don't feel the public school system can meet her needs. I don't go into great detail, I am just trying to answer their question. Have you guys found the same level of misunderstanding?

I get the same reaction. I have started saying something like "PS just didn't work for him because he is working on a different level and with the number of students in each class they just couldn't work with him at HIS ability level." People who know him understand what I mean without any further explanation, and those who don't usually assume that he is working at a lower/remedial level and change the topic so that I won't feel so bad :laugh:. I don't mind if they think that way... and sometimes it even makes others feel better about their own childrens' progress and opens more doors for communication :)

I'm with lionfamily.....less is more.....I often just say "DS hated school and developed physical ailments b/c of it. He learns differently from most kids" THat usually ends the conversation. If pressed, I just say that HSing allows DS to pursue interests which are not typical (history, science).

I agree with the previous posters -- there are ways to phrase it so that you are telling the truth, but not getting the eye-rolling. My dd is also 6, and I often comment that she was an early reader and would have found the heavy emphasis on learning to read in the lower grades to be frustrating. Lots of people seem to accept that, and saying "early reader" doesn't bother folks as much as if I said "gifted." I also say that we aren't big fans of the testing and test-prep focus in schools, which I'm sure some people interpret as meaning that DD does not test well. Again, I don't really care what they think, and the answer is an honest one.

My dd is also 6, and I often comment that she was an early reader and would have found the heavy emphasis on learning to read in the lower grades to be frustrating. Lots of people seem to accept that, and saying "early reader" doesn't bother folks as much as if I said "gifted." .

Thank you for this. I have been looking for a way to minimize the eye rolling -- this fits my son perfectly!

Most of the people we know, know about our situation so they are not surprised or concerned about us deciding to homeschool our twins for high school. Most of our friends know our kids are special-LOL. Special to us and so we want to do what we think is the path for our kids.

Basically all we say is that homeschooling is our best educational path for our twins. Then if they want more information I let them ask questions and then I just answer the questions they ask.

Most of the time they just want to know about hsing in general. Often they wonder how I will teach the math/science courses and how to get our kids into college from hsing.

If they ask specifically what our reasons are for hsing, I list several reasons.

-Safety (our zoned high school is known for discipline problems),

-Educational (we can meet the individual needs our kids want and the zoned high school is one of the lowest in academics for our county),

-Graduate early (our twins want to earn their associates degree by the time they are 18),

-Flexibility (we want more flexibility in our lives and homeschooling is very flexible,

-Go at the kids pace (faster or slower as needed).

If people want more information then I may say a bit about how 14yr old Ds has some special education needs while being extremely gifted and the schools have proven they are unable to meet our son's needs and he is already working at college level in some subjects. We tell how our 14yr old Dd wants to study music and our district offers very little in music program so she will take college classes.

I don't get into that much detail. I hate the "why are you homeschooling?" question, actually, because I could probably name 50 reasons why it works better for us than public school would, and I have a hard time condensing it to something appropriate for casual conversation. But mostly I just say something about how we like the freedom it gives us to individualize the kids' educations.

I don't homeschool only because he's working ahead of grade level... so I generally just go with "It's been a great choice for us" or "It's really going great" and move on to something more interesting. Half the time what they really want to know is that I'm not going to spring out and attack their own choices, and the other half of the time they've either considered homeschooling themselves or have a friend or relative who homeschools, and they're honestly curious about how it goes.

Only rarely do I meet someone who really truly wants to know how we came to our choices in any detail, and then the honest truth is that when he was the age to start kindergarten, school wasn't really going to be a good fit for him. And by the time it might have been a better fit, we'd found our groove and didn't want to quit. If that's not enough then yeah, they can have the whole story, but I don't think I've told it more than twice.

I just respond by saying we can work at our own pace fast or slow, can go on field trips that are of interest and homeschooling is a lot of fun. I never talk about what we are actually doing except the basics such as math, science, history, etc. I did have a friend suggest I send my youngest to school so it would be easier to help my oldest who has learning issues. I told her we have already covered first grade and she would be extremely bored. I stop there in explaining anything else. I only talk to my mother and my husband about what the kids are really doing. I have learned it is just better to say nothing about being ahead.

Dh has already decided that our youngest is staying home, no K, no preK, nothing. At two, he's already far enough ahead that all either of us see for him in ps is a ton of notes being sent home for not paying attention, interrupting, etc. He'd be bored out of his gourd!

Of course, when anyone asks, I say, we're keeping our options open. No sense in starting an argument ;)

But mostly I just say something about how we like the freedom it gives us to individualize the kids' educations.

Bingo! Aint it the truth?! That's it in a nutshell, whether your kiddo is behind, ahead, loves music, or has specific academic goals. I also tell people that homeschooling gives my kids more time to play and pursue extracurricular activities than they would have if they were in school all day and had to squeeze things in during the evenings (with homework and dinner and everything). And that last one is the big thing I'm worried about now that ds is going to school for the first time. (Next week!) He's going to be surprised at how much less free time he will have. Wish us luck!

I keep it simple.

I usually say "we homeschool" in a cheery, matter-of-fact voice, and wait for any reaction or questions (I rarely get any). So many people don't know what to say when I say we homeschool and I don't want to force them into a conversation they're not ready for.

If they want to ask why, or they have reasons why they could never do that, I have my answers ready! Always cheerful and light. :)

Don't you think the teachers are good enough?

My husband used to teach, we have many friends who are teachers - teachers have the HARDEST job in the world! We are blessed to be able to have JUST five kids in our school! What teacher wouldn't LOVE that ratio!?

Are your kids smarter than everyone else?

The kids are able to learn at THEIR individualized pace - faster when it's easier, slow down when they're struggling. It's great.

Aren't you worried about socialization?

Are we worried about socialization? Absolutely! That's why we homeschool! Our kids are WAY too social, and I want them to focus on academics! We get enough socializing in sports, activities and other things!

I could never do that!

Do I get drained? Absolutely! It IS hard having them around all the time! We schedule quiet time, and we work on respectful behavior all the time! It's something I'm choosing as a priority for this time in my life right now.

So your kids will always be homeschooled?

Will I do it forever? No idea! We take it a year at a time.

The impression I want to leave is: we're not special, anyone can really do this, it's not always easy, we're not judging anyone - please accept us - see that we're 'normal' people too, feel free to talk to us!

Thank you everyone. I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I really am not trying to brag about my kids. I have nothing against public schooling and if my kids fit into their scope and sequence they would be there, but they don't. When the question is posed to me, I have found that homeschool moms are looking for me to bash the school system and public school mom's just think that I am ruining my children's lives. In the end, I really don't care what they think I just find it interesting that being academically advanced makes others so uncomfortable.

I have a bit of a problem avoiding the TaG issue, as I am on the board of a gifted enrichment program and just about all the HSers here know it. I am a bit notorious. I am of the opinion that a LOT of kids who are HSed for non-religious reasons are some level of gifted. This just comes from my own experience.

I rarely get asked the question, but when I do I am the one who rolls MY eyes and reply that I have so many different reasons, it is hard to narrow down.....

Edited by radiobrain
spelling

I say this, too. I say that my children don't learn well in school (sounds like the child's problem) and if I have to elaborate, I say that my older one tried it and it didn't work out well at all, and that the youngest taught himself to read the year before kindergarten so it seemed like a good idea to homeschool him until the rest of his class caught up, and then we just kept on doing it because it was working ok. If I have to elaborate even more, I say that we know we can't sent the older one to school, and that homeschooling is nicer if there are two students. The trick is to make it sound like the problem is with the child, not the school system. I say my children are odd, too, if forced to describe them.

I don't mention Huck's giftedness anymore. I just say, "Oh, he works differently than most kids which makes learning in a typical classroom difficult." This leaves them not knowing why he's "different" and everyone I met has not wanted to ask. :o I'ts a bit deceptive but it works and avoids the risk of their eyes rolling out of their heads. LOL

I rarely answer the why question.

I say instead that homeschooling has worked out really well for us so far.

Or I say we're just so happy.

Or I say we enjoy the flexibility of being able to travel without being attached to a traditional school schedule.

I've been at this a very long time and I have found that it is really easy to offend just about anyone when you define your reasons through negative comparatives.

I'm not great at coming up with a quick answer so I usually just say that they don't fit that well in school, they are a little too far ahead and teachers have too much going on to be able to deal with that very well. I say it in a friendly and somewhat apologetic voice so that no one could take it as a boast or a criticism of the school. But this is usually adressed to parents of the public school kids. Since my kids go to school half time we don't hang around with homeschoolers. We just don't have time to and school is their social outlet.

I've had a few both public school friends and homeschool friends. The one thing that really bothers me is when the homeschool coops start actting like public schools. For example my son is 3 years ahead in math but he coop will not let me put him at his academic level. They say they have to go by his age and be placed with age peers and the age cut off date is Sept. 1 (like the school system). Didn't homeschoolers get out of the PS b/c they didn't like the way they where doing things? Then why does the coop actting like PS. UGH!!!!

I've also found a LOT of homeschoolers stuck on age/grade. The homeschoolers where I now live set up all kinds of classes and groups (sometimes in their homes, sometimes at community buildings), but they nearly always list an age minimum. Some will even list a grade minimum.

I think they sometimes do this to be exclusionary. I hate to say it, but one class in particular listed ages from 7 and up last year... and this year the age minimum is 8. The leader's youngest homeschooled daughter is 8 this year. Interesting... I *know* my 7 y.o. dd would be interested, but I didn't even bring it up with the leader. We've had this age minimum discussion before. She, and other moms here, are very invested in it. They say it's important for developmental reasons and as a way to limit the size of the group. Sigh. Using *age* to limit the size of the group??? I think they're wanting to include certain kids and exclude others. If it was just about limiting the size, why not "the first 10 kids to respond" or something? If it's developmental... well, then be specific when announcing the group and mention the actual developmental milestones needed.

Personally, when I set up a group -- if I feel there are some pre-reqs skill-wise, I'll mention the skill set (ability to read or whatever), but NEVER an age.

Cheers!

Do I feel like a homeschool outcast? Yes. Not that people ask why we've chosen to homeschool (rarely have I gotten that question), but because we're both secular homeschoolers and rigorous, scheduled, use-curriculum-and-follow-a-detailed-plan homeschoolers. We just don't "fit" many places.

Do I feel like a homeschool outcast? Yes. Not that people ask why we've chosen to homeschool (rarely have I gotten that question), but because we're both secular homeschoolers and rigorous, scheduled, use-curriculum-and-follow-a-detailed-plan homeschoolers. We just don't "fit" many places.

:iagree: There isn't a secular group in our area. We did join one of the religious groups for the coop classes and field trips. Ds does fine with the kids, but I just don't have anything in common with the other parents. I usually wind up watching the toddlers while they discuss the latest church project or something.

You've got two things that might be differentiating you here -- homeschooling itself and giftedness. It could be either or both.

If you want to connect with these people, I would suggest don't start out with letting them know your kid is gifted, working ahead, etc. I know you're just being honest -- believe me I get that!! But it will come across as bragging just because of other people's issues, not because of you. And who knows, they may have kids that are working 4 years ahead of grade level but they're dealing with it in a different way than you are (and maybe feeling guilty or defensive about it). Instead you could say something like "homeschooling helps us customize his education to his particular needs" or "he needed something more personalized".

I don't feel any need to let people know that my kids are gifted/accelerated, I just let them know we're homeschooling for now because we decided it was best for the boys and worked for our family. When I say we're doing it "for now", but we take it one year at a time, it seems to be less um, alienating (for lack of a better word) to our public school acquaintances. And we have a lot of interaction with them through the boys' sports. They have made many close friends that way, in fact their best friends are public schooled. I want my kids to be able to interact with all kinds of people and they really connect through sports, their particular passion -- regardless of education choices or level of giftedness.

We've been able to make many friends this way and I'd like to think we are good examples to them of homeschoolers. After I get to know other moms I often hear things like they wish they could do it if they didn't have to work, or at least "I admire you but I could never do it". So yes I feel different, but not like an outcast, just we're in a different situation, but our kids come together through sports, or Cub Scouts, or whatever.

Definitely get involved in a co-op, but again there don't lead with comments on giftedness or advancement, you're going to find lots of homeschoolers doing it for a variety of reasons and with kids at all levels. If you want to discuss your child's giftedness, I suggest you save it for close friends, grandparents who love to talk about their genius grandchildren, or your local gifted support group, or this board -- where parents will understand your comments better.

You've got two things that might be differentiating you here -- homeschooling itself and giftedness. It could be either or both.

If you want to connect with these people, I would suggest don't start out with letting them know your kid is gifted, working ahead, etc. I know you're just being honest -- believe me I get that!! But it will come across as bragging just because of other people's issues, not because of you. And who knows, they may have kids that are working 4 years ahead of grade level but they're dealing with it in a different way than you are (and maybe feeling guilty or defensive about it). Instead you could say something like "homeschooling helps us customize his education to his particular needs" or "he needed something more personalized".

I don't feel any need to let people know that my kids are gifted/accelerated, I just let them know we're homeschooling for now because we decided it was best for the boys and worked for our family. When I say we're doing it "for now", but we take it one year at a time, it seems to be less um, alienating (for lack of a better word) to our public school acquaintances. And we have a lot of interaction with them through the boys' sports. They have made many close friends that way, in fact their best friends are public schooled. I want my kids to be able to interact with all kinds of people and they really connect through sports, their particular passion -- regardless of education choices or level of giftedness.

We've been able to make many friends this way and I'd like to think we are good examples to them of homeschoolers. After I get to know other moms I often hear things like they wish they could do it if they didn't have to work, or at least "I admire you but I could never do it". So yes I feel different, but not like an outcast, just we're in a different situation, but our kids come together through sports, or Cub Scouts, or whatever.

Definitely get involved in a co-op, but again there don't lead with comments on giftedness or advancement, you're going to find lots of homeschoolers doing it for a variety of reasons and with kids at all levels. If you want to discuss your child's giftedness, I suggest you save it for close friends, grandparents who love to talk about their genius grandchildren, or your local gifted support group, or board -- where parents will understand your comments better.

:iagree: Couldn't have said it better, which is why I say nothing. ;)

Thanks Mel! :) Also I forgot to add that even when you say nothing, the people who get to know your child will usually eventually notice it themselves. It's not a state secret by any means! But somehow if they have made the discovery on their own, they feel more comfortable with it...perhaps because by then they know my sons and/or me well enough to know we have plenty of areas of "ungiftedness" to balance things out haha!

This is me to a T. It's good to know I'm not the only one. Now, do you live anywhere near me? LOL

I am teaching a class this year at a homeschool co-op. I did specify grades but was flexible. THe class is US Government/Ecomonics.

I had two concerns. One was that economics needed Algebra as a pre-req so I didn't care what age your child was for that part, you needed to have done algebra. The other issue was current events. We would be covering those and discussing those. This past year that would potentially include such topics as Gov. Sanford's behavior, Chris Brown beating and choking Rihanna,slavery in hair salons in NJ, ramifications of health reform policy, murder of the late term abortion doctor, etc, etc. I feel fine discussing these ideas with high schoolers. Younger children, it completely depends on their maturity. I do have a 13 year old who will be in the class. Most others will be 15-18. Do I think a 10 year old who has finished Algebra is good in the class? No. And that is because of the second point. I am not going into graphic details on whatever unsavory issues come up but I still think that the kids should be old enough to understand what adultery is.

Chris,

Instead of saying a 10 year old (regardless of the fact that the child has done Alg I) isn't a good fit due to age, why not be specific about the reason: discussion of adultery. I think it's really important to remember that children do not have the same life experiences based on age. I can imagine that a 10 year old whose own family has dealt with adultery might be very well versed on what it is. There could be a 10 year old who is very intersted in the news and has followed certain stories, for whatever reason.

I know my own 10 year old would NOT be well versed on the specific topics you mentioned and I would NOT want him in that class. (He has also not yet done algebra.) BUT I think it's important to remember that not all 10 year olds do have the same life experiences. There could possibly exist a 10 year old who could handle and participate in a class like the one you mentioned. I know the "outliers" are few and far between, but they do, nonetheless, exist. Why not keep an open mind?

I rarely answer the why question.

I say instead that homeschooling has worked out really well for us so far.

Or I say we're just so happy.

Or I say we enjoy the flexibility of being able to travel without being attached to a traditional school schedule.

I've been at this a very long time and I have found that it is really easy to offend just about anyone when you define your reasons through negative comparatives.

Perfect!!! I think it's strange to tell someone you don't know that well all the details of your kids' grade levels and IQs, or even to say that the public schools are not good enough for you. There's nothing wrong with those being your reasons to homeschool :) but no need to share it with acquaintances or get upset because people ask. Most people who ask probably don't care that much but are just making conversation. Just my two cents!

No, because I basically don't go there. We just say that we could provide our daughter with a good education and that we loved teaching her. This is also true, but not necessarily the largest slice in the "Why We're Homeschooling" pie chart.

I've had a few both public school friends and homeschool friends. The one thing that really bothers me is when the homeschool coops start actting like public schools. For example my son is 3 years ahead in math but he coop will not let me put him at his academic level. They say they have to go by his age and be placed with age peers and the age cut off date is Sept. 1 (like the school system). Didn't homeschoolers get out of the PS b/c they didn't like the way they where doing things? Then why does the coop actting like PS. UGH!!!!

Wow, what's up with that?:confused:

... we were converted after my kids went to pub school from K until 3rd and K until 5th and I'm sure the two families that convinced me have no idea! One told me (a college professor by the way) that she did it for her three kids in middle school only (two were in college at the time) and the other had young kids and said it made her family life more manageable (great for us because two of our three kids are competitive in baseball). I listened but didn't agree aloud until I mulled over what they said ... both ideas stuck with me - and whammo! I'm a homeschooler.

So maybe the moral is, people are just making conversation (not a bad thing) and it's not like they don't care at all but are just getting to know you and don't mean anything evil and, on top of it, you never know who you may inspire. I am proof of that! Kudos to your good attitude, Billie Boy!

I haven't read all the responses, so I'm sorry if I repeat. When someone asks this of us, I simply say, "Homeschooling is the best fit [or choice] for our family right now." If they press, I say, "We started homeschooling in Kindergarten, and we both loved it so much that we decided to continue with it." I never mention that my son is working so far ahead....;) (Usually my son is with us, and I really don't want to be discussing his "levels" in front of him, either.)

• 4 months later...

I have learned from many years of homeschooling, not to give any more info than required. If they ask why - Homeschooling fits our life style better. If they ask what grade - I give them the age related grade. If they ask what curriculum - I give them names of the books not the level.

It is just so much easier.

I have cut down my response to: My daughter is 6 years old but is working at least 3 grade levels ahead in all subjects. I don't feel the public school system can meet her needs.

LOL.

Sometimes less is more. I would just say, "It works for us" and then move on. "How is your little Jenny doing in dance class?" or whatever.

If they don't know you well enough to know why you're homeschooling, they don't need the kind of details you're giving them. :)