Menu

I guess my DD age 15 is the only child

who has not read TWILIGHT and seen Harry Potter movies or read those books.

That is one reason why I go to Half price books and find the literature that she really needs to know about writers like Hemingway,. Fitzgerald, etc.

Some of the girls in her sunday school class cannot believe that she has not read or seen any of those books or movies.

Plus she is more into Comedies.

I am proud that she is not into vampires that donot exist. and Ghost.

Just my rant and brag

My dd is 17 and does a lot of reading. She takes a book everywhere she goes.This summer whenever someone sees her with a book they ask if she is reading the Twilight books. I think that's funny. They assume if a teen girl is reading it must be Twilight. She just never got into them and I haven't encouraged it.

who has not read TWILIGHT and seen Harry Potter movies or read those books.

That is one reason why I go to Half price books and find the literature that she really needs to know about writers like Hemingway,. Fitzgerald, etc.

Some of the girls in her sunday school class cannot believe that she has not read or seen any of those books or movies.

Plus she is more into Comedies.

I am proud that she is not into vampires that donot exist. and Ghost.

Just my rant and brag

Nope, my dd 15 and 13 have not read or seen either HP or Twilight, dont see the necessity.

Nope, not the only one at all. My soon-to-be 15 yo dd hasn't read them, and neither has her 19 yo brother.

I wouldn't let them read HP when they were younger, and now they aren't terribly interested. EK's friends were all talking about Twilight awhile back, and she felt a bit out of the loop, but I just couldn't feel at peace about her reading the books or seeing the movies.

Edited by ereks mom

My oldest daughter read both series...my 15yo son? Not at all interested!

He prefers biographies and history books. Made up stories are just NOT his cup of tea!

From the time he was a wee little tot, he's preferred to read about real people and real events -- he loves historical fiction as well.

But we don't have any personal objections to either Twilight or Harry Potter. *I* read the whole Harry Potter series and have seen most of the movies. I haven't read Twilight. Vampire stories hold no appeal for me.

My 9yo has expressed an interest in Harry Potter, but hasn't read any of them...even though they're on the library shelf downstairs.

:confused:

I understand a preference for investing reading time in material that is more enduring than the latest fad, I really do.

I'm not sure, though, why people (many, many people, not just the OP) feel the need to "rant" about other families reading choices and "brag" about their own.

"Too close" to Harry Potter? See, I don't get it. Why should anyone worry if the Lord of the Rings series (which is, by all standards I'm aware of, one of the GREAT literary classics of all times) is "close" to Harry Potter? You don't need anyone's permission to choose what you believe is appropriate for your child to read. Want them to read LOTR? Of course, that's your decision. That's why you're the parent. I am perfectly fine with my dd reading Harry Potter; my decision, I'm the parent.

And while anyone and everyone is free to express their disapproval, I don't see the necessity. Just as I didn't see the necessity to insist that she read The Little Princess when it didn't appeal to her tomboy, quirky, personality. I am proud that she is not into judging other people's choices in literature.

I don't feel the need to post a thread bragging that my daughter skipped straight over the Little House series and went straight into reading Harry Potter. (Oh, I couldn't do it with a straight face, anyway, but you get my point :tongue_smilie:)

My dd mowed the yard today in 90 degree heat so dh and I could attend to other responsibilities. I rewarded her with a softcover copy of the final Harry Potter book.

Just my rant and brag.

She is not the only one. I understand why those who allow those things feel judged; but as we're in the minority, I think it's also pleny reasonable for us to want to talk together, know we're not the only ones, express how we feel about the difference from mainstream. Of course some people won't understand nor care.

Anyway, I got my kids 8 classics at a "Just Between Friends" sale (which is open to the public, LOL, but...). One we won't be reading due to the inappropriate nature of it. The others, we can at least try. I'm not aware of a particular issue with any of them. My daughter has a strict conscience and will just put down any book that tweaks her strong conscience. My son will have to be prodded to read them at all so we'll get sister's okay first.

Anyway, I would have a HUGE issue with HP or Vampires being discussed AT church. Even if their choice in entertainment is that loose, I would assume they would stay away from those topics at church. What about respecting other people's consciences? What about talking about spiritual things and life? Weird. I just would never talk about topics like that in our congregation (different from church, but still...). I wouldn't talk about issues of conscience or that could possibly make someone else uncomfortable. And I find seeing people in the congregation a time to catch up with them as people as well as a time to discuss spiritual matters.

Edited by 2J5M9K

None of us has read them either, but I just want to point out that just because something was written prior to 1950 and is considered a classic, it won't automatically be read in this house either.

FYI: Books like Tender is the Night and The Great Gatsby are full of adultery, murder, etc. I'm not saying don't read them, but I am wondering why a book like this is considered

literature that she really needs to know about.

I also think our young adults need to have a conscience, and we need to be sensitive to it. My eldest stopped reading The Jungle because he found it inappropriate.

PS -- I intended to buy Twilight from Barnes and Noble a while back because I wanted a great romance story to read, but I couldn't get into the whole Vampire thing. But, I also didn't feel the need to broadcast it here.

Edited by nestof3

We've chosen also to opt out of these movies/books. My choice is partly because I don't like the glorification of vampires and also because I just feel this need to reject things when they are THAT fan-driven. Something about the frenzy of this just really gets. on. my. nerves. I also feel a little uncomfortable with the teenage girl bad-boy fascination this might instill in girls whose home lives aren't great. I say that because dd has a friend who fits that description, and she is obsessed!!! Something in my spirit just tells me it is not a good thing for her and some other girls. I could try to explain it all day here and couldn't put it into words. It's just the feeling I get. :(

That said, I don't feel a sense that other parents who let their children make the choice to read those books/watch the movie are wrong. I think it's personal preference, and what might be bad for one would be fine for another. Again, there are things we allow that others don't and things we don't allow that others do. I wish I could say we are always making #1 book choices with the best of the classics on the top of our list. That wouldn't be true. ;) BTW, I'd be thrilled if all my dc wanted to read LOTR. They are excellent!!

Anyway, I would have a HUGE issue with HP or Vampires being discussed AT church. Even if their choice in entertainment is that loose, I would assume they would stay away from those topics at church. What about respecting other people's consciences? What about talking about spiritual things and life? Weird.

I certainly agree with this! I can't say that I would have a HUGE issue with it, but absolutely, we would discourage "entertainment" conversation at church (as you say, there are much better things to discuss in that context).

My girls understand that each family decides what is appropriate reading and entertainment, and they understand that some Christian's consciences are troubled by HP, so they try to respect that in every way possible. The only time they mention HP is if they are asked, point blank, if they read it. They've always answered truthfully, but I've recently instructed them to just sweetly say that they prefer not to discuss their reading choices, because people (ADULTS, not just kids) have been incredibly harsh and rude. (YOU read HP? Your parents must not want you to love Jesus if they let you read that trash. Oy.)

None of my dc have read or have any desire to read Harry Potter or see the movies.

Ds (15) did read Twilight without my knowledge, but hated it and will say so to anyone who asks.

My older three are avid readers (whew!) and I attribute their love for reading to our early years of homeschooling when we would get lost for hours in books!

Oh my. I guess I'm greedy. I want my cake and to eat it, too. We read the classics and HP around here. (I have boys--no Twilight for them--they're not interested ;))

I also let them play with GameBoys for 2 hours a week. As long as the fluff and screen time is in moderation, I see no need not to indulge.

Oh my. I guess I'm greedy. I want my cake and to eat it, too. We read the classics and HP around here. (I have boys--no Twilight for them--they're not interested ;))

I also let them play with GameBoys for 2 hours a week. As long as the fluff and screen time is in moderation, I see no need not to indulge.

Absolutely. My dd devours historical fiction and classics; she has read every Jane Austen novel except Mansfield Park (hasn't gotten to it yet). She has read Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Red Badge of Courage. She's in the middle of Great Expectations. AND she has read Twilight. It works for us...

I'm glad your dd is an avid and willing reader of quality literature!

The hyperbole in the sublect line and phrasing in the text are a bit over the top.

What if I were to title a post I guess my kids wiil be culturally literate and hip.....with a text including "I am glad they aren't social outcasts or book nerds".

The truth is that a love for claasics can co exist with enjoyment of less classic books. And, indded, socially adept and popular kids can exist sans having read HP or Twighlight.

The truth for me is that I benefitted personaly from my parents' liberal and limited censored approach to my book reading. One of my 2 degrees is in Engish, with Honors, Cum Laude which represents a LOT of classics.

I *also* read Judy Blume, VC Andrews and Stephen King.

I truly believe the variety of reading material served to allow me "friends" to process the complexities of growing up, to broaden my thinking, to challenge and engage me.

The claasic reading wasn't quashed by the lesser works and the lesser works didn't hurt me.

It's one thing my parents did right - especially for my personalty - and - have decided to follow their lead in this regard.

Our dd12 has seen all the Harry Potter movies - she and I just went to the most recent at the theater not long ago, it was good! - and owns the books, although she's only read bits of a couple (fiction reading isn't high on her "fun things to do" list - she's capable of reading them, she just prefers more active things than reading in her spare time.. total opposite of me at 12 LOL.. when she does read, she tends towards non-fiction more. Oh, and the Cat Warriors stuff - she made an exception there... although even with her love for that series, she likes the manga versions better. :) )

She's seen the Twilight movie, several times recently ~ as have I. Both of us really enjoyed the movie :D ...I have all the books - which she will not be reading yet, even if she wanted to do that.. there's some stuff in the books (I'm about 3/4 through Eclipse at the moment) that I'm just not comfortable with her reading at this point. However, she knows I'm reading them and wants to know what's going on with the characters, so I'm giving her a general overview of them, without the stuff that I don't want her having in her head yet. Works for us. ;)

We're actually both fairly big Twilight fans ~ happened rather quickly, as I'd never even bothered with the movie when it came along, but I was wondering what all the fuss was about... heh, now I see. Movie led me to the books and I'm hooked. :lol: ....Both myself and dd12 now have a couple of Twilight posters ~ dh thinks we're nuts. :tongue_smilie:

When the second movie comes out in November, she and I will go see it ~ so long as they don't toss in anything that bumps the rating up to R or something. Unlikely, given the general target audience.

Anyway - everyone is different. Everyone has different things that are 'okay' for them when it comes to movies, books, clothes, etc ~ nothin' wrong with that. :)

This is how I feel too.

I'm glad your dd is an avid and willing reader of quality literature!

The hyperbole in the sublect line and phrasing in the text are a bit over the top.

What if I were to title a post I guess my kids wiil be culturally literate and hip.....with a text including "I am glad they aren't social outcasts or book nerds".

The truth is that a love for claasics can co exist with enjoyment of less classic books. And, indded, socially adept and popular kids can exist sans having read HP or Twighlight.

The truth for me is that I benefitted personaly from my parents' liberal and limited censored approach to my book reading. One of my 2 degrees is in Engish, with Honors, Cum Laude which represents a LOT of classics.

I *also* read Judy Blume, VC Andrews and Stephen King.

I truly believe the variety of reading material served to allow me "friends" to process the complexities of growing up, to broaden my thinking, to challenge and engage me.

The claasic reading wasn't quashed by the lesser works and the lesser works didn't hurt me.

It's one thing my parents did right - especially for my personalty - and - have decided to follow their lead in this regard.

Ditto. I was not censored in my reading and it was good for me....we're following the same plan with our children, and it's working well.

Anyway, I would have a HUGE issue with HP or Vampires being discussed AT church. Even if their choice in entertainment is that loose, I would assume they would stay away from those topics at church. What about respecting other people's consciences? What about talking about spiritual things and life?

Perhaps they contain ideas worth discussing? For example, the Vatican's newspaper praised the new HP movie.

To each his own.

This is how I feel too.

Ditto. I was not censored in my reading and it was good for me....we're following the same plan with our children, and it's working well.

I also wasn't censored in my reading as a youth, and it was terrible for me. I so wish my mom would have stepped in and led me towards things that were more positive. :( I had great parents, but that is an area that they didn't step in. I read lots of Stephen King, Anne Rice, Judy Blume, other dark things by dark authors. I now realize I was exposed to too much too young through my reading, and I won't allow that with my dc. I lead them to try to search out things that are good, pure, honorable, etc.

My kids have read all of the HP books and only my middle has read Twilight. She only read the first book because she found the writing to be poor and the whole book creepy. Given her assessment of the book, her younger sister won't be reading it. The youngest reads both classics and typical kid books like the Warrior series or HP. DO they talk about it in church= I am not sure what you mean. Certainly not in service, but I do know that in fellowship time or in car rides, they discuss movies they like, books they read, music, etc. My girls haven't changed their preferences based on other kids' so it doesn't bother me. For the most part, the discussions tend to be typical girl teen discussion of which actor is cute or sometimes plot discussions. Haven't heard about anyone ever in church deciding to do witchcraft or vamperism or anything like that at all and since my dd15 is so anti-Twilight, I am sure I would hear of any problems like that.

My teen read the Twilight series, loves Harry Potter and is currently finishing The Count of Monte Cristo. This summer his night stand has also hosted titles like A Clockwork Orange, The Invisible Man, Moll Flanders and Paradise Lost. I have also seen several Robert Ludlum books in his book bag, plenty of science fiction and more Shakespeare than I would have expected.

At 15 he does his own book shopping, and I am, more often than not, proud of the quality choices he makes in addition to the fluff.

As nutmeg said, I certainly isn't a need, but a bit of literary junk food once in a while isn't something we get worked up about.

I hope you don't have negative impressions of the young women at church based simply on the fact that they read fiction titles that you don't care for. There are a lot of teens who read Twilight and HP who are exceptional young people.

Edited by Crissy

None of us has read them either, but I just want to point out that just because something was written prior to 1950 and is considered a classic, it won't automatically be read in this house either.

FYI: Books like Tender is the Night and The Great Gatsby are full of adultery, murder, etc. I'm not saying don't read them, but I am wondering why a book like this is considered

literature that she really needs to know about

:iagree:

I am proud that she is not into vampires that do not exist.

...so she's into the ones who do exist? :w00t:

.. just teasing, with the way you worded that. ;)

Although ~ if you did mean for some emphasis on the "do not exist" part, I have a question: vampires supposedly don't exist, but what of talking cats and dragons and cars that smile and vegetables that sing songs about not having bellybuttons? Would they also need to be disallowed?

Perhaps they contain ideas worth discussing? For example, the Vatican's newspaper praised the new HP movie.

To each his own.

The latest has gotten better press bc/ HP learns that it might be a good thing to know the SOURCE of the power/magic! In other words, it may have an evil source or a good source.

One of the biggest issues that we have with HP is that the lines between good/evil are blurred. So many younger readers are targeted by these books and it is very CRITICAL that these distinctions be CLEAR and easily to identify. HP books (like today's world) blur these distinctions. Lord of the Rings shows these distinctions... even the temptations... but the distinctions are clear.

For many, the Twilight series dabbles too close to the death culture and deeper, negative gothic influences that are not considered healthy by many. I know not everyone agrees, but it might give insight into why choices are made. It isnt' just burying heads in the sand and trying to be obstinate or "anti-everybody".

A homeschooling friend let her DD read the first one (age 15), but she also found it to be poor writing & not very intriguing. Her Mom was relieved... but PEER PRESSURE on the Mom and the daughter are the ONLY reasons she wanted to read it anyway. That is the saddest part to me... not interest in the book, but pressure from friends and a lack of strength to resist. I think the resistance to FADs can be good... as the fad dies back, you can make better judgements regarding the real quality.

I also wasn't censored in my reading as a youth, and it was terrible for me. I so wish my mom would have stepped in and led me towards things that were more positive. :( I had great parents, but that is an area that they didn't step in. I read lots of Stephen King, Anne Rice, Judy Blume, other dark things by dark authors. I now realize I was exposed to too much too young through my reading, and I won't allow that with my dc. I lead them to try to search out things that are good, pure, honorable, etc.

:iagree:I read the VC Andrews stuff. It left mental "scars". Stuff that I hate to even admit that I read. Flowers in the Attic series were absolutely inappropriate for even a mature student & I can't believe it was ever allowed in my SCHOOL library. Incest between 2 teens can't possibly be appropriate reading for any student.

We can say reading good & bad doesn't effect us as kids... but I really think it does. What we read & what we see are alway stored in our minds somewhere and that is a huge responsiblity for parents to remember as they screen what kids read. I wish my parents had of given a rip & paid attention to us more. However, they worked all the time & trusted the school system to have our best interest at heart!:001_huh:

I guess someone would want to report that they are proud b/c it is so hard to be different and resist the PUSH to follow the pack... just like winning the local relay run... perhaps not a huge milestone in the world... but a huge thrill or relief in the daily grind.

Edited by Dirtroad

:iagree:I read the VC Andrews stuff. It left mental "scars". Stuff that I hate to even admit that I read. Flowers in the Attic series were absolutely inappropriate for even a mature student & I can't believe it was ever allowed in my SCHOOL library. Incest between 2 teens can't possibly be appropriate reading for any student.

We can say reading good & bad doesn't effect us as kids... but I really think it does. What we read & what we see are alway stored in our minds somewhere and that is a huge responsiblity for parents to remember as they screen what kids read. I wish my parents had of given a rip & paid attention to us more. However, they worked all the time & trusted the school system to have our best interest at heart!:001_huh:

I guess someone would want to report that they are proud b/c it is so hard to be different and resist the PUSH to follow the pack... just like winning the local relay run... perhaps not a huge milestone in the world... but a huge thrill or relief in the daily grind.

Oh, I had not even thought about V.C. Andrews. I wish I had a brain loofa so I could scrub that nonsense out of my gray matter.:cursing: I read Flowers in the Attic and wasn't old enough to realize how utterly disturbing that nonsense was but old enough that they had a negative impact on me. I had an older sister who read them and had the smarts to toss them and asked me why I didn't do the same.

I bolded the things on your post that really spoke to how I see things. Corrie ten Boom said when she was a child her dad wouldn't let her carry his suitcase because it was too heavy for her at that time. The understanding was there that he was speaking of other things being too heavy for her also. There are things that are too heavy for young teens to handle. Some things I've read and seen just can't be erased. God has given me the job of assisting my children and supervising so they can choose to read and see things appropriate for their ages. I hope they will choose, later, to pick positive things to fill their mind with.

One of the biggest issues that we have with HP is that the lines between good/evil are blurred. So many younger readers are targeted by these books and it is very CRITICAL that these distinctions be CLEAR and easily to identify. HP books (like today's world) blur these distinctions. Lord of the Rings shows these distinctions... even the temptations... but the distinctions are clear.

Yes! I was just talking about this very issue with ds12. Not about HP per se but about the fantasy genre in general. I want him to be able to make wise choices. A series that is very, very well written (much better than HP in my opinion) is the "Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. But - evil is not quite evil, and good is not quite totally good. It is deceptive and it starts to creep into your thinking - at least it did with me.

This is why I said in an earlier post that I allow ds to read the Lord of the Rings and the Narnian Chronicles but not the others.

God has given me the job of assisting my children and supervising so they can choose to read and see things appropriate for their ages. I hope they will choose, later, to pick positive things to fill their mind with.

I think that all of mums (and dads) here on the board feel pretty much the same way about our kids ~ we're all doing our best to raise them so that they will make positive choices in their lives. What we allow or disallow for reading material doesn't change that. :)

A series that is very, very well written (much better than HP in my opinion) is the "Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. But - evil is not quite evil, and good is not quite totally good. It is deceptive and it starts to creep into your thinking - at least it did with me.

Hmm. Never heard of the series. But ~ isn't it a bit true to life then? Nobody is entirely good or entirely evil...no matter how they may come across on the outside. Know what I mean?

Hmm. Never heard of the series. But ~ isn't it a bit true to life then? Nobody is entirely good or entirely evil...no matter how they may come across on the outside. Know what I mean?

You are correct that nobody is entirely good or entirely evil. What I meant was that they portray Evil itself as not entirely evil. And Good itself is not entirely good. So God (who is good) wouldn't be entirely good . . .

Might be off-topic, but the series is one of my favourites. (Being obsessed with King Arthur as well helps :D)

You are correct that nobody is entirely good or entirely evil. What I meant was that they portray Evil itself as not entirely evil. And Good itself is not entirely good. So God (who is good) wouldn't be entirely good . . .

ahhh. Different interpretation than I was working with there. I can understand why interpreting it in that fashion could be concerning...

I do not see the need for it either. We chose what she reads, and stuff that we know she will get something out of , not warlocks and vampires.

Do you allow your dd to choose any reading material?

(just wondering.....really!)

astrid

I think that all of mums (and dads) here on the board feel pretty much the same way about our kids ~ we're all doing our best to raise them so that they will make positive choices in their lives. What we allow or disallow for reading material doesn't change that. :)

Agreed!!! :) I think I'm coming at it from my own pov of having had no restrictions put on me, so I wind up more firm now with my own dc. Who knows, though...they may think I was too strict and then allow their own dc to read whatever. ;) I see, in these situations, how our own upbringing affects our way of doing things now, kwim? Also, I'd say that something like Twilight & HP would be very tame and more doable than some of the junk I read growing up. blech!!

I'm surprised to see parents of teen censoring their reading. I mean, I would if I needed to, of course, but I really think teens should be encouraged to choose their own reading and to exercise the freedom to NOT choose inappropriately.

I do think we should be aware. I can't imagine my parents *knew* what I read or else they wouldn't have allowed it, I would hope. And we have to set limits if kids push it, just as we do with anything else. But by the time our children are 14-16yrs old, they should pretty much know the standards of our homes and IDEALLY also adopted those standards themselves...they can at least respect them under our roofs.

I don't say "no Twilight" or "no HP" because they know why they shouldn't read those. I'm positive they could quote at least a handful of scriptures to back up the standard. So it's just not a discussion we have at all.

I don't say "no Twilight" or "no HP" because they know why they shouldn't read those. I'm positive they could quote at least a handful of scriptures to back up the standard. So it's just not a discussion we have at all.

Question: If your 16 year old checked Twilight out of the library and stated that she had decided to read it ~ what would you do? (I'm honestly curious - would you tell her she could not read it in your home ~ ie, if she's gonna read it, she'd have to do it elsewhere.. library, friend's house, park, whatever ~ or flat out forbid it? Or would you allow her to read it at home if she chose?)

Agreed!!! :) I think I'm coming at it from my own pov of having had no restrictions put on me, so I wind up more firm now with my own dc. Who knows, though...they may think I was too strict and then allow their own dc to read whatever. ;) I see, in these situations, how our own upbringing affects our way of doing things now, kwim? Also, I'd say that something like Twilight & HP would be very tame and more doable than some of the junk I read growing up. blech!!

I was actually one of those kids without any restrictions as well - I was reading Stephen King novels before I even hit Junior High.. while I may be okay with the HP movies & books and the Twilight movie (but not the books, not yet) for dd12, I think I'd have a litter of pigs if I caught her with her nose buried in Carrie. ;)