Menu

I have color coded my kids!

FO4UR

Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one?

They now each have their own workboxes, pencil pouches, pencil grips, water bottles.........(I'm leaving something out? - oh, file folders for my planning purposes - and play-doh.....no more fighting over play-doh:001_huh:)....all in their own color. ds6 is blue, dd4 is red/pink, and ds3 is green.

Now when I see a pile of crayons on the floor - I KNOW who did it!;)

I did the same thing (although not to the extent of segregating the paydoh & crayons, LOL). All DD6's school things (binders, pencil case, calculator, stapler & tape dispenser, dry erase boards, etc) are light blue, and DS11's things are light green. Even their shelves, desk lamps, and desk chairs are blue and green. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

I do it to a certain extent... they'd be mad if they couldn't play with ALL of the playdough colors. ;) I never thought about pencils though... hmm, that would solve a lot of problems.

You should change your signature colors to match! (It looks like your boys are flip flopped.) :D

I did that w/ mine the first year we homeschooled. May I say, it was the only year that ran smoothly! Guess what I'm going back to doing this fall. :0) And yes, even the pencils. Dh wants to do cups too. It really does make a difference, and they can't argue about who's pencil, notebook, whatever got left on the table or floor!

We have also done this with many items that are not school related. Bath towels, wash cloths, toothbrushes, hairbrushes, combs, razors, drinking cups etc... It was so helpful when there were many at home. Also, although not colored, I used to purchase each of my boys a little different style of white socks and it made it very easy to sort them after they were washed.

Oh my goodness...now I don't feel so OCD!! :>) I did this with my three boys -- well, the first two were easier - the third boy is usually purple. We do it for cups, school folders, binders, easy stuff. I should do it with pencils!! I also put my oldest left handed boy on the left for everything--clothes, plate of food - whatever. It sure helps me!! As they have gotten older, I don't do it quite as much!

I just started doing this too... ds9 blue, dd7 red, ds4 green, ds2 yellow. It works great! I purchased 4 colored chairs for our homeschool table and we have no more fighting over chairs... and even the 2 year old goes right to "his" yellow chair. I also have colored trays for art projects, storage bins, cups, pencil grips, toothbrushes, picnic plates, etc... I love it and so do they :)

I do this for my 3, with cups, water bottles, plates, bowls, pencil boxes,toothbrushes etc..when I find a dirty cup or dish, I know who didn't put it away! or if there is a dry toothbrush, I know who didn't brush their teeth. :D

I even did it on vacation at the beach with pails, shovels, etc..

Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one?

They now each have their own workboxes, pencil pouches, pencil grips, water bottles.........(I'm leaving something out? - oh, file folders for my planning purposes - and play-doh.....no more fighting over play-doh:001_huh:)....all in their own color. ds6 is blue, dd4 is red/pink, and ds3 is green.

Now when I see a pile of crayons on the floor - I KNOW who did it!;)

Mine are color coded. I even bought the colored duct tape and put a strip on ALL binders and books:D

yes, it started with our identical twins....they are blue and red, the others are pink, purple, and orange. Pencil boxes, folders, water bottles, cups, plates, even clothes...they are all so close in age and size, it keeps me from having to look at the tags to see whose it is....and for the twins, I can always tell who is who from far away!

DS8's favorite color is blue, favorite theme is Star Wars. DD6's faves are yellow and puppies. All stuff - cups/bowls, notebooks, pencils, even erasers - fall into the appropriate groups.

Too bad I have never found yellow or puppy-themed boys underwear for DD6. Would make sorting a lot easier.

I have to say that being allowed access to only one color would drive me insane!:D I guess I could do it if I knew I could change colors sometime. I can't help thinking about Mary and Laura Ingalls, and how Ma accidentally switched their braid ribbons one day. They'd grown "so tired" of having the same color all the time and were delighted by the change!

That would be me, if I were a kid in a color-coded house.

Now, being the MOM--well, the idea IS brilliant.

We are color-coding this year. Red for my oldest, blue for my 5 yr old, green for my 3 yr old and probably yellow when my 1 yr old is old enough to need a color.

I tried convincing dh that we needed to try for a girl so we could add pink....he didn't go for it. Just told me pink can be my color.....and he said "btw camo is mine." :D

Seriously I used to color code the clothes hangers for the littles, but we can't find the colored hangers anymore. LOVED how easy it was to have my oldest put away clothes for me.

When my boys were little we did it for them, Yacko was red and Wacko was blue. Then they grew and tantrums ensued because Wacko was wearing Yacko's shirt, etc. :glare:

We're getting back to it now that they're older. The boys generally get red/yellow/orange and DD gets pink/purple/blue.

That was me too...7 different colors are hard to find!

I did do it with bath towels years ago...worked great!

Roy G. Biv is your friend. :lol:

I used too until I ran out of colors :D

Snicker!!

I just had to pop in and say...

My dear dear friend is many years older than I am. I am the same age as her oldest daughter. This friend has a huge brood and she was the person who convinced me the wisdom of color coding my kids from the start. She has 15 children, all of her own and "only" 2 sets of twins (identical at that) between the ages of 3 - 33. Most of the kids at home have "normal" colors... but a number of the middle, currently the eldest living with mom, children have weird colors!

My favorite by far has to be her 16 and 19 year olds. The 19 year old girl has maroon and the 16 year old boy has mint green.

LOL, she just happened to be online and gave me the entire list:

red

yellow

green

blue

orange

purple

pink

maroon

mint green

red

blue/green striped (her mom purchased many many many years worth, she thinks she'll have brand new towels to send with her son to college)

orange & blue (both girls)

green & pink (again, both girls)

I asked her what she would have done if she hadn't hit menopause, or if she has one last "oops". She said she was going with white, unless it is twins again.

Kris, who has a pink and a green

I did this with my twins since birth. White bottle/red nipples for one & colored bottles/beige nipples for the other. Yellow/Green bath sets. I did 2 contrasting colors of same design with clothes.

Now whatever we buy we buy a pink & some other color. One is crazy for hot-pink & the other is not that particular.

So glasses, mugs, water bottles, file folders, pencils, erasers, school backpacks, lunch bags anything that is pink you know who it belongs to.

If I am ever forced to buy anything of the same color, then I promptly mark it with a permanent marker ! Yes even clothes!

Am I the only one whose kids don't argue over what is theirs? Maybe it will come, but so far my older boys have never argued about what belongings. They share pencils, markers, chairs, plates, drink from the same water bottle, toys, towels, and so forth. They don't share toothbrushes. It's even gotten to where my middle ds can wear some of oldest ds's clothes like shirts and socks. They simply just don't complain about it.

Are my kids weird? :confused:

Well, even if they are weird I love it.

We do it. Towels, binders, toothbrushes, et cetera.

I will say it's starting to get a little harder. :P I'm running out of colors that you find things in!

Towels this weekend were a little complicated.

Ana - Blue

Christian - Dk. Green

Lizzie - Pink

Becca - Purple

Timmy - Orange

Abigail - Yellow

Sarah - Mint Green

Hmmm... NO idea what this baby will be! :)

Just look at my signature! :D

We don't color code everything, only the things that we DON'T want them to share. It started with towels and toothbrushes, but now includes book boxes, folders for printouts, and boxes for supplies (some boys like perfectly sharp crayons, while some boys still chew up their crayons).

I'm tempted to do this with my partners. There'd be no more stealing of pillows, or finding my towel hanging damp in the shower...

There's only one of DD, and any next child there will be a big enough age gap that I doubt it'd come up much. It's far more likely said second child will have to endure many, many pink hand-me-downs, especially of SCA garb. DD is definitely a lover of pink, followed by black. It used to be the other way around, but alas... I really don't know where she gets it from. I don't care for pink at all, myself. Never have.

My oldest are red and green. (and sis is blue). It is really just for school things, just to keep thier supplies and books organized.

My two oldest boys share almost everything. All of thier clothes are worn by both, they only have one dresser for all the clothes/socks/shoes/even underware!

Am I the only one whose kids don't argue over what is theirs? Maybe it will come, but so far my older boys have never argued about what belongings. They share pencils, markers, chairs, plates, drink from the same water bottle, toys, towels, and so forth. They don't share toothbrushes. It's even gotten to where my middle ds can wear some of oldest ds's clothes like shirts and socks. They simply just don't complain about it.

No, you are not alone, my kids don't fight over their stuff either and I hope that doesn't change! Other parents have been telling me for years that it will change :001_huh: but I think it is just their nature.

to the OP, your system might actually encourage sharing! If they want to use a different color art supply (which they will) then they HAVE to ask and maybe even trade colors so it may make things easier for you and help them to share. :)

I have done this on a few things. I buy wash cloths at IKEA, they are white with a colour tab to hang them up. Each child has their own colour so I can keep track of who is not getting washed, or not hanging their cloth back up. Plus keeps them from sharing (we had an issue of pink eye being spread a couple years ago). Cups I don't do, but I have thought about it because I am tired of every cup in the house being used by theend of the night by the 4 of them.

I was red/purple/blue as a child and my sister was green/pink/yellow.:) We didn't fight over stuff--it just made it easier to determine to whom things belonged.

My dh has already pretty much staked out lime green for himself, so I guess I shouldn't be buying so many lime green things for my baby boy on the way!:D

My kids are color-coded on most things. Even in the bathroom, they all have their own colors of washcloths and towels (well, the towels coordinate with our bathroom, so the colors are lavender, cream, and white instead of the school colors of blue, red, and green, lol).

It works wonders. When we started the color coding, they instantly became more responsible for picking up their own things! :D

We are going to do this for school stuff! The girls picked out their colors today; Anna is green, Emma is blue, and Cora is pink. Should be fun!!

I really need new towels so I am thinking about doing it for towels/washcloths too. I think I want brown or purple. I will have to see what color Patrick wants.

FUN!! I think I might be a nerd for thinking it is so much fun! :D

You should change your signature colors to match! (It looks like your boys are flip flopped.)

LOL - off to change it!

I used too until I ran out of colors

:lol: see below;)

And they now make duct tape in 17 different colors :D

:party:

When my boys were little we did it for them, Yacko was red and Wacko was blue. Then they grew and tantrums ensued because Wacko was wearing Yacko's shirt, etc. :glare:

I am a bit concerned about that - esp if grandma sends "the wrong color" of something...hmmm.....

It works wonders. When we started the color coding, they instantly became more responsible for picking up their own things! :D

This is my goal!:001_smile:

Oh - and I should clarify - they do each get a whole box of crayons. They aren't restricted to coloring with only one color LOL! That box, however, goes in their color-coded pencil pouch!

.....tempted to go buy me some colored duct tape and put some on each crayon now......:rofl:

It's not so much about fighting, but knowing who to tell to pick it up when it's laying in the middle of the floor!

It's not so much about fighting, but knowing who to tell to pick it up when it's laying in the middle of the floor!

:iagree: Totally!!!! lol My kids are more than happy to share pretty much everything with each other, which makes it all the more difficult to tell who left whatever-it-is on the floor! lol

We've done this since starting to homeschool. My oldest son is Green, My dd is blue and my youngest son is Red.

I want to do this with towels too, but I'm waiting for the ones they have to wear out. Currently their bathroom is "rainbow colors" so we have 2 towels in red, blue, green, yellow and orange, but the yellow and orange ones never get used because nobody wants "that" color. LOL

My mom color-coded us to stop the fighting over plates/cups/etc. It spilled over into toothbrushes, hair brushes, and assorted other things. I was always jealous that my brother got blue.

Now that I've got 5 kids (which is when my mom did it with us), I'm considering doing the same. The kids already gravitate toward certain colors anyway.

Yep, we did that too....not because they fight over things, just to make things more easily identifiable! I did the boys socks that way too--oldest preferred white socks, younger got socks with stripes. I didn't do it at birth. They were old enough to pick their own colors, and it stuck (see siggy).

Yep, we did that too....not because they fight over things, just to make things more easily identifiable! I did the boys socks that way too--oldest preferred white socks, younger got socks with stripes. I didn't do it at birth. They were old enough to pick their own colors, and it stuck (see siggy).

SOCKS!!!! That's my next project!!! :)

I have also color-coded my kids...as well as other people's kids!

The kids are assigned specific color cups which they are to use all day long. The kid's friends get their own color, too.

My kids all have their own color towels because my teenager will use the whole closet full of towels if she can get away with it. Now she has 4 blue towels of her own and everyone knows if she steals theirs - not that it stops her. We even have four sets of different color towels for guests.

The kids have different color cordless phones for their rooms so they don't run off with mine all of the time. Again, this does not always stop them from doing it.

Of course, the school supplies are color coded as well. It just makes it easier to keep up with what belongs to each child.

Now, if only I could color-code their socks without making them look like a bunch of weirdos. :confused: