Menu

Anyone really minimize their stuff??

I'm so ready to get rid of things, not just toys but extra towels, sheets, glasses, dishes, etc., etc. Will it really help me to be more organized to have less? Have you gotten rid of things and then wished you had more? Any other thoughts on less stuff?

I'm so ready to get rid of things, not just toys but extra towels, sheets, glasses, dishes, etc., etc. Will it really help me to be more organized to have less? Have you gotten rid of things and then wished you had more? Any other thoughts on less stuff?

I gathered a train behind me, and I'm slowing clipping off cars. My shoulders rise, my step lightens, I sleep better at night. No regrets.

I gathered a train behind me, and I'm slowing clipping off cars. My shoulders rise, my step lightens, I sleep better at night. No regrets.

What a great way to think about it! Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm still trying to build up decent cookware, linens enough for everyone. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, in many ways, lol! We have a lot of 'useless' crap built up, 'treasures' that have been pressed upon us, that children have gathered that need to be tossed, but still trying to get a few things worth keeping! :lol:

We have moved 5 times in the last 8 years, will move again this summer and then the summer after that.

We try to get rid of stuff before each move, but we still have more than we wish. The children's toys especially just seem to multiply.

We're getting rid of even more than usual this time, we'll have a much smaller place in Los Angeles, things are much more expensive there than most places we've lived, and especially more expensive than here in the Little Rock, Arkansas area.

We have gotten rid of a few things we've needed, but we just bought them again and didn't worry too much about it, it is still worth it. (Although, it is maddening to buy something you got rid of a while ago.)

However, less boxes to unpack is great!

Edit: One of the best things we got to streamline was the MWF topstar system when we were in Germany (it was much cheaper over there!) It all stacks together and they are awesome pots. What was 3 cupboards full of stuff is now 1, and it's nicer. Our set has a steamer and a bowl, too.

http://www.wmf.com/cookware/wmf-topstar-system_292.html?sid={F455E231-9B94-49A1-BC21-59FD76FD1688}

Edited by ElizabethB

I am currently transitioning to less stuff so I know from where you hail! I am a collector of stuff. Not intentionally, mostly subconsciously. But it has taken over and I want my space back! So, I'm transitioning from paper scrapbooking to digital (I know my husband will thank me) and I've told my kids I am not buying them any more toys. They have enough. If they want any more, THEY get to pay for them!

I believe you will find your life more peaceful. For example, if your house is like mine, your kitchen counter and/or dining room table is quick to collect anything that will cover it's flat surface: paper, books, toys, etc. Think about the difference between when it's covered and when it's clean! It DOES make a difference. Or, when the sink is full of dishes compared to when it's empty!

HTH!

I would love to get rid of a significant bunch of our stuff. I figure the less we have, the more likely the stuff we have will have a "home" and it'll be easier to keep the house clean and organized.

Dear friends are getting ready to be missionaries, and are having a yard sale to raise funds. I figure this is an EXCELLENT time to get rid of A LOT.

Blessings,

Rita

reforming packrat :)

Yes, I have done this with everything we own. It helps immensly. We have a small house with five people, and we still have a lot, but it's very organized.

I do not like a lot of extra anything. Honestly, I am very on top of laundry -- sheets are washed, dried and put back on the bed in the same day -- same with towels. I do keep a couple extra of the boys' fitted sheets for accidents and an extra sheet for misc. things. We have a few extra towels as well. We have two nice hand towels for when guests come. That's it.

I got rid of any kitchen gadget I did not use at least once a year.

I have gone through every drawer, cabinet, closet, etc. in this house in the last year. It is very freeing.

I am very much "a place for everything and everything in its place" kind of gal.

Ideal Rosie is like this too. Real Life Rosie thinks we need more cupboards :)

:lol: I'm like that with everything else, but we DEFINITELY need more bookshelves! I just *can't* purge our books.

I am doing this currently. Everything we have has to fit in an 8x21 trailer (6 feet tall.) This week we are loading, so I am packing differently this time - instead of packing one whole room at a time, I am packing the things I want the most first, then will go back and add more depending on how much room is left. The rest will be sold or donated to the thrift store.

Also, our new place is only 1200 square feet (for 8 people) so I have to be purposeful about what we keep. The new place has no basement or attic, either, so very little storage.

We will need fewer clothes in FL, so I am selling off the majority of the winter clothes. I am selling anything that we can replace for the same price that we are selling it for (like the freezer.)

I am just getting to this point now where i want simple and not choices.

We moved from a very large 4 bedroom home in the country to a very small 2 bedroom house in the city. We still have half of our old house in boxes in the shed out the back. Inside is just cluttered everywhere mainly because there is now built in cupboards and we didn't own any and furniture is expensive.

As i sit looking at a giant laundry pile i ponder only having a couple of changes of clothes, 1 set of towels, we do only have 1 set of sheets each so that is a start, the mounds of toys in the other room, piles of dishes on the counter, it leaves me thinking why can't we just have a basic life without so much stuff!

Honestly, I'm a big believer in organizing and light decluttering. But, just organizing works well for most people. I have a relative who is somewhat wealthy and gets rid of sooooo much regularly - table settings, linens etc. But, she buys more. So, she's replacing often. I like holding on to family things and the idea of passing cherished dishes& linens to my children. I don't like living in a disposable society and buying, buying, buying. Especially when it cheap junk.

We aren't wealthy by any stretch!, but our simple things like OOP books, lace linens, several hundred maple blocks and our simple white Heritage Pfaltzgraf dishes I will keep to pass down some day. I believe they will always hold meaning to our children.

Honestly, I'm a big believer in organizing and light decluttering. But, just organizing works well for most people. I have a relative who is somewhat wealthy and gets rid of sooooo much regularly - table settings, linens etc. But, she buys more. So, she's replacing often. I like holding on to family things and the idea of passing cherished dishes& linens to my children. I don't like living in a disposable society and buying, buying, buying. Especially when it cheap junk.

We aren't wealthy by any stretch!, but our simple things like OOP books, lace linens, several hundred maple blocks and our simple white Heritage Pfaltzgraf dishes I will keep to pass down some day. I believe they will always hold meaning to our children.

We only have an everyday set of dishes and never use linens. :lol:

I do have an impressive rubber and acrylic stamping collection, books and scrapbooks to pass down, though. I have some of my mom's cross-stitching, but unless your children are going to have enough room in their houses, some things might just end up being burdensome.

I'm not saying it will be so in your situation, but my mom has an antique Hoosier cabinet for each of us children and she has china. We have no room in our house for these things. I'd prefer an old piece of jewelry to remember her by or a cross-stitching. She has given me two cross-stitchings for my house, her mother's cameo ring, her watch from her teenage years, and an old bracelet. My grandmother left me her wedding ring set. I love that these items can fit in a little box and be worn on special occasions.

I frequently purge my things. I cannot stand clutter, it makes me very twitchy.:001_smile: I don't have a lot of knick-knacks or stuff. I get rid of things that are not being used via Craig's list or garage sales. For clothing I have a one season rule, if it's not worn during the year, it goes. I have scaled down on coffee cups, dishes and linens and I have not missed them.

Most of the stuff I am getting rid of was given to us anyway and has little value. Think yardsale items, not linens. I am getting rid of my china, but I didn't buy it and we have a set of Christmas dishes. The only thing I may replace is our 8yo freezer with another 8yo freezer. I won't buy anything new ever again - it's too easy to find used.

I hope to pass down good memories, cherished values, and learned lessons to my dc!:D

Most of the stuff I am getting rid of was given to us anyway and has little value. Think yardsale items, not linens. I am getting rid of my china, but I didn't buy it and we have a set of Christmas dishes. The only thing I may replace is our 8yo freezer with another 8yo freezer. I won't buy anything new ever again - it's too easy to find used.

I hope to pass down good memories, cherished values, and learned lessons to my dc!:D

Of course I agree with your thoughts as well!

How did you decide on 80%, and how is it going?

To the OP: I have not regretted for one moment the items I' have purged. I feel so much better with less stuff.

I decided on 80% because I looked at the size of my house and how much stuff I have. Then I sat down and thought about what was really important to me. Stuff? Or my family? My family of course. We've all decided (as a family) to limit our belongings to 10 categories of "stuff". So my son picked lego as one of his categories...that means he can keep all his lego stuff (not just one piece, lol!).

Getting rid of 80% of our stuff will leave us with a simple, uncluttered lifestyle, hopefully allowing us to get more pleasure out of the things we kept. (And I'm not exaggerating when I say that when I get rid of 80% of our stuff, I'll probably have a similar amount of belongings as many average families...)

It's going okay. More slowly than I like, but I'm getting rid of about 5 bags of clutter per day. A few weeks ago I rented a fourteen foot dumpster and got rid of a lot of stuff (old furniture was in there too, so it wasn't all just clutter-clutter). I did this last year too, and it's been a great help. Still a long way to go, but I'll get there!:D

We've lived for years with less household stuff. We have a set of 4 dishes (will have to move up when the kids are older, but for now they have kids' plates) We have 2 sets of sheets for each bed, about 10 towels, ect. I love it. So much easier to maintain and store, ect. We are in the midst of purging right now. Toys. I don't know where they get all these toys, but people give them to them and after awhile I go crazy and we need to purge. We do that about twice a year. Books are a problem. I have a hard time getting rid of those. But don't most homeschoolers? ;)

I like to declutter. I think of it as blessing someone else. This morning, I went through my closet and pulled out a couple of summer shirts that don't look so great on me. Bet they'll look good on someone else!

We've started giving "experience" gifts. For Christmas this year, my dd received the Year of the Dollhouse, an idea I learned about from another message board. We took an old dollhouse and made it into a "fairy treehouse." We've had a wonderful time making things together!

I thought of this thread this morning. I'm cleaning out the side board today, and there are some lovely things that I have not touched since I divorced and stopped having little dinner parties. It has been 10 years. These lovely linens and trivets, etc are aging. Time to move them on. I thought of this poem I read in college:

To be of use

by Marge Piercy

The people I love the best

jump into work head first

without dallying in the shallows

and swim off with sure strokes almost out of sight.

They seem to become natives of that element,

the black sleek heads of seals

bouncing like half submerged balls.

I love people who harness themselves, an ox to a heavy cart,

who pull like water buffalo, with massive patience,

who strain in the mud and the muck to move things forward,

who do what has to be done, again and again.

I want to be with people who submerge

in the task, who go into the fields to harvest

and work in a row and pass the bags along,

who stand in the line and haul in their places,

who are not parlor generals and field deserters

but move in a common rhythm

when the food must come in or the fire be put out.

The work of the world is common as mud.

Botched, it smears the hands, crumbles to dust.

But the thing worth doing well done

has a shape that satisfies, clean and evident.

Greek amphoras for wine or oil,

Hopi vases that held corn, are put in museums

but you know they were made to be used.

The pitcher cries for water to carry

and a person for work that is real.

To be of use by Marge Piercy

I love that poem. It's quoted in this most excellent article, The Case for Working With Your Hands:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1

Decluttering for me is about priorities more than it is about the stuff, about deciding what is useful, or, really, making a clear space so that I can use what I have.

Ideal Rosie is like this too. Real Life Rosie thinks we need more cupboards :)

Gee - we should get our ideal selves and Real Life selves together sometime - I have a feeling they have a lot in common!:lol:

This is a timely thread for me. dh just graduated and has his resume is floating...so I know we will be moving somewhere, sometime in the next 2-6 mo. Here I sit, trying to relax in a 1000sq ft appt filled to the brim with junk. Literally - junk. dh is as much of a bibliofiend as myself (and the kids...hehe...) so none of us will part with books.

I have started packing up a few things....and taking stuff to the dump and charities, and eating through our pantry/freezer....I just need a little more motivation. Really, I need my mom to come stand over me and make me do this:tongue_smilie:

I love that poem. It's quoted in this most excellent article, The Case for Working With Your Hands:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1

I'm chuckling over this. I did trade school before college and put myself through doing clutches and brakes, etc, along with any other work I could patch together.

Some of my fondest memories of my folks are them in the garden, or Papa patiently mixing the epoxy to repair the shutters, the garage smelling of paint and grease, and his wool sweater, and Puccini on the radio, Saturday afternoons. Even though we were in a very nice neighborhood, and my folks were educated, they believed in humans as creatures in motion, and between their chinos and sweaters with a bit of mud or paint on them, I grew up being called the pig farmer's daughter...such was the flight from the soil among the middle class in mid-west, mid-century America.

I feel tied down to my things sometime :glare: I can say that of the things I have gotten rid of, I have never even thought or wished I had them back (that includes curriculum and school books in general). Honestly, I don't even remember the things that I had gotten rid of (shows you how much I miss them all) :tongue_smilie: I read, but haven't done yet, that if you take the things you are not using (or things you are debating on getting rid of) and put them in a sealed box in your garage or basement or somewhere. If you have no need to open that box within so many weeks or months, you just donate the box without even opening it because chances are you don't really need them. It is liberating though to feel free and not attached to things.

-Tia

I have taken this on as my summer project. I am going through our house room by room and getting rid of things. My kids have way too much junk.

I started on my girls' room today and I'm about half-way done. I have seven large garbage bags going to charity already. I have a rather large house and every nook and cranny, closet, drawer is full of stuff. It is daunting when I consider the whole house, but I'm trying to take it one room at a time.

I know I'll feel so much lighter when I'm finished.

I'm working on this right now. Generally speaking, it is rare that I have regretted getting rid of things. I don't consider myself a "keeper" or "collector", but nevertheless, I feel as though there is just TOO MUCH STUFF everywhere. I've been going through areas, but there are always more areas. I went through my closet and took out clothes that I can still say I like, but that are just a lot of years old. (In addition to obviously the clothes that don't fit or whatever.) I Freecycled them to a lady who, coincidentally, I have known before from my kid's soccer team. She has lost 40 lbs. and needs new clothes. It was a blessing to me to be able to give her things that I like, but just don't need.

I do think it absolutely is more organized to have less. It's also just plain freeing. And when you can pass it on to someone else who needs it more, it is spiritually fulfilling.

Really, I need my mom to come stand over me and make me do this:tongue_smilie:

That's funny! And true...

I had started decluttering just ONE item a day. I had gathered a LOT of things in the few weeks I did it. But then I started forgetting to do it. I'm inspired to start getting rid of one thing a day.

Yes and yes.

It has been liberating to dump the excess! I can what I need in my cabinets. My latest venture, is that I dumped the tupperware and other plastics and multimillion lids and opted for the Rubbermaid, see-through with only 3 lids that fit multiple sizes that stack! Wow. I've dumped many things, from towels to toys, to videos to pieces of furniture, all wondering will I miss them. Other than maybe a couple things I missed nothing. In fact, after about a week, I don't remember what I even dumped.

If you're unsure, what I do is to bag it and put someplace else and leave it there....depending on the item, anywhere between a month and a year. If I haven't used it in that amount of time, I give it away. That's helped me out when I was a bit too excited to get rid of things. I've reused end tables a time or two and sometimes I just used it because I had it. Now, thank the Lord I can't use the "ugly" thing because I got rid of it and I don't have a guilt trip of not using it.

I can find things. My closets are easier to clean and I don't feel like I'm always under water.

Thanks for posting this! What a cool idea.

Agreeing w/ a different poster about Jennifer's Halving It All blog. It has been a great inspiration to me.

Dh & I worked most of the day cleaning out & rearranging the garage. We got rid of quite a bit, though we could still get rid of more. And, I cleaned out my makeup drawer today & tossed a bunch of old makeup. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to go through ds' closet & clean out. I'd like to work on something every day. I love reading threads like this because it keeps me inspired to keep plugging away. :001_smile:

I also recommend the book "It's All Too Much" - great to get one motivated to declutter, and helps one work through the emotional baggage that is often associated with stuff given to you.

In fact . . . if you're not de-cluttering books, I just saw it in the bargain book section @ Borders.

Kimm

I was thinking of doing SWB's (or was it JW's?) idea of taking the sheetrock off the walls to put shelves between the wall-studs to hold more books. I guess that's exactly the opposite of the point of this thread, but reading all this made me chuckle at what I am probably going to end up doing.

I've been going through things to get rid of, but then I always feel like I need to make sure it's put to good use or get whatever money it's worth out of it. So I end up with boxes os junk like the one by the couch right now that we call "the get rid of it box". But I just tossed something else into it, so I guess we'll have to do something with it once it's full. :)

I love to get rid of things, and I do, regularly. However, now that we are involved in Medieval Re-enacting, suddenly all my friends that are also involved are wearing things I threw away a few months ago, as medieval clothing- like a white skirt I gave away, as a petticoat. Grrr. Although I like to get rid of stuff, I am collecting material for making costumes, and I still cant find where to keep it all.

I've probably made a complete household donation to Goodwill in the last year, I'm selling all our homeschool curricula and even donating books to the library. I just lost weight and so I donated all the clothes that no longer fit (YAHOO!) and that was a complete wardrobe. I can now reach into my closet or dresser and pull out something that fits and looks good on me without wondering.

Right now we're living with my parents, the kids have a bedroom and I have one plus our 10x10 storage space I'm renting. We're pretty bare bones although I do have linens that I'm not using right now.

It is freeing to let go of so much stuff, easier to do when it's out of necessity but worthwhile nonetheless.