Menu

Why aren't food stamps regulated like WIC?

Moxie

My Mom is a cashier at Wal-Mart. Wow, the stories she can tell about people and food stamps (carts totally full with only soda, decorated cakes, they even had a person buy a wedding cake with food stamps). WIC is really regulated as to what can be bought and it is all healthy stuff (fruit, cheese, only certain cereal, etc.). Why don't WIC and food stamps have the same rules?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mom is a cashier at Wal-Mart. Wow, the stories she can tell about people and food stamps (carts totally full with only soda, decorated cakes, they even had a person buy a wedding cake with food stamps). WIC is really regulated as to what can be bought and it is all healthy stuff (fruit, cheese, only certain cereal, etc.). Why don't WIC and food stamps have the same rules?

I'm curious about your thinking about the wedding cake. Are you suggesting that if a person can't afford to feed themselves they shouldn't get married? I am genuinely curious, and can't understand why it would be a bad thing to buy a wedding cake with food stamps. I mean, a Walmart wedding cake would be pretty economical, it seems to me, compared with other cakes, wouldn't it?

I'm curious about your thinking about the wedding cake. Are you suggesting that if a person can't afford to feed themselves they shouldn't get married? I am genuinely curious, and can't understand why it would be a bad thing to buy a wedding cake with food stamps. I mean, a Walmart wedding cake would be pretty economical, it seems to me, compared with other cakes, wouldn't it?

I was broke when I got married and you know what I did? I made my cake. I bought 20 boxed cake mixes and made cake to serve the guests. Sorry, nothing is going to convince me that tax money should buy someone a wedding cake.

Basketballs are probably cheaper at Walmart too but, as far as I know, they're not supposed to be covered by food stamps.

I was broke when I got married and you know what I did? I made my cake. I bought 20 boxed cake mixes and made cake to serve the guests. Sorry, nothing is going to convince me that tax money should buy someone a wedding cake.

lol! I'm guessing you could buy cake mix with food stamps, too. Is that not okay, either?

I've wondered this myself.

I think if you can spare the food stamps for cakes and sodas, perhaps different criteria need to be used to get the aid in the first place. :(

Personally, my grocery bill is so high that I, who am not receiving government aid, cannot generally afford to spend my grocery money on junk food.

lol! I'm guessing you could buy cake mix with food stamps, too. Is that not okay, either?

Yes, but 20 cake mixes are cheaper than a wedding cake. We were also broke when we got married and only invited 50 people, had 30 show up and fed them from one sheet cake.

I'm curious about your thinking about the wedding cake. Are you suggesting that if a person can't afford to feed themselves they shouldn't get married?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. But if you don't have the money then you need to make it with less. As a country we feel entitled to big weddings and expensive cakes.

I find it sad when I hear people call into Dave Ramsey or Dr. Laura and say they are living together because they can't afford to have a wedding. Go to the justice of the peace!

It may depend on where they are coming from. When I was living in WI and worked as a grocery cashier, they wouldn't have allowed the cake or any prepared foods, right down to not being able to buy the potato salad from the deli. So I'm sure Basketballs would have been a big no no. I will say we had many people try to get things they shouldn't but many things relied on the cashier knowing what was allowable and what wasn't. Of course this was back in the late 80s early 90s so things may have changed now.

I'm in Canada, so we don't have food stamps or WIC, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of food stamps was to keep a family from starving, not to be buying things like a wedding cake? At least, that's how American friends of mine have explained it to me before, that it was for low income families to stretch their money by providing them with food...not, I would think, pop, wedding cakes, and other garbage with the nutritional value of newspaper...although newspaper would be high in fibre...

It used to be more regulated, and as far as I know only stopped being so when they went digital.

When I was about 10 or 11 years old, my parents were on food stamps for a very brief time period. The "food stamps" were actual pieces of paper; they looked like fake movie tickets or something similar - longer and skinnier than money, and printed on brightly colored cardstock.

Each color of cardstock was for a specific type of food - red was meat, green was fresh veggies, etc etc. There was a dollar amount limitation for each type of food.

I guess that when they went digital to the little cards they use now, they didn't see a way to do this. IMHO, and I've not been *off* of foodstamps very long now (over a year for sure, I guess though), they can and SHOULD regulate it at least to non-taxable groceries. I understand that not every state does grocery tax the same way, but here in Texas anything that is considered "snack food" is taxed - chips that cost less than $1, anything that is pre-prepared or is a single serving, all sodas and such. (FWIW, cake mixes are not taxed, but a premade cake would be. :P ) At least here, all it would take is coding the Food Stamp card to count for the non-taxable items and not for the taxable ones; I'm not sure what it would take in other states, but if it's doable here I'm sure it's doable elsewhere.

And, we are a family who *has* until pretty recently depended on Food Stamps to get us through the month. Yes, we occasionally purchased things like sodas and ice cream with it, but not often because I needed the bulk of the allowance to purchase real, actual food. :P I have in-laws who are on food stamps and do not use them wisely, and it bugs the creepers outta me - to no end.

I think maybe it'd be a good idea for those who get Food Stamps to take classes - like WIC makes you take classes. (And, having been on WIC and not being ignorant, those classes always bug the creepers outta me, because they seem to assume that I'm stupid; but I see the point of them, and don't complain about them because we needed the help that WIC was providing. And, truthfully, we probably ate healthier because of WIC.)

Okay. I'll stop now. I need to go cook dinner. ;-)

My food budget would about TRIPLE if I were to go get food stamps.

I'm not joking. I'm not sure how'd i honestly be able to spend all that money - it's been so long since i have had "that much" to spend on groceries i'd be frozen not knowing what to do...

But i'm surprised that packaged cakes are included. Florida doesn't appear to tax snack food - at least it hasn't been at the gas station (i bought 2 bags of peanuts a few weeks ago).

A few years ago we spent some time on food stamps. This is what the Florida Food Stamps website says you can get

Households can use food stamp benefits to buy breads, cereals, fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, poultry, dairy, and plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.

Households cannot use food stamp benefits to buy nonfood items such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, household supplies, grooming items, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, vitamins, medicines, food to eat in the store, or hot foods.

Edited by Pooh Bear

Basketballs? :confused:

Yes, basketballs.

Food stamps are intended to prevent malnourishment, right? I don't understand what a wedding cake has to do with that any more than a basketball does.

And, the last time I checked, wedding cakes weren't required for a marriage license.

I am genuinely curious, and can't understand why it would be a bad thing to buy a wedding cake with food stamps.

I'm curious, as well.

Who knows what they buy every other week of the year. Because someone receives assistance they shouldn't drink a bit of soda, buy snack food now and then or a once-in-a-lifetime wedding cake?

I'm suspicious of the 'carts full of only junk food and soda' stories, though. My sister tells those sorts of tales, but is usually found to be greatly exaggerating.

I have a couple of friends on food stamps. My understanding was that they weren't allowed to buy pre-made foods. She can't buy the bucket of chicken at the grocery store for example or the pre-made dishes in the deli. I would think that would include bakery.....but maybe not.

One friend brags about getting $800 or so in food stamps per month, meanwhile she takes trips to the beach and stays in nice places, eats out, and just recently told me she bought a new Coach purse on her shopping spree.

ARGH!

The other person DOES need it and is not like that.

Dawn

I'm curious, as well.

Who knows what they buy every other week of the year. Because someone receives assistance they shouldn't drink a bit of soda, buy snack food now and then or a once-in-a-lifetime wedding cake?

Nope, not with taxpayer money, they shouldn't. It should be for nutritious foods only.

Otherwise, why not be allowed to buy a pack of cigarettes? Or a bottle of wine?

One friend brags about getting $800 or so in food stamps per month, meanwhile she takes trips to the beach and stays in nice places, eats out, and just recently told me she bought a new Coach purse on her shopping spree.

That just boggles my mind. I spend half of that on groceries, haven't sat down in a restaurant in about 3 years (wait, unless you count taking two of my kids out for a diner breakfast about 2 years ago), and haven't seen the beach in over 7.

The irony is, I've given up all of those things so that I can comfortably afford the necessities.

I have a couple of friends on food stamps. My understanding was that they weren't allowed to buy pre-made foods. She can't buy the bucket of chicken at the grocery store for example or the pre-made dishes in the deli. I would think that would include bakery.....but maybe not.

Yes, that's the kind of thing that was taxed in Michigan--premade food.

:ohmy: That's a lot more than I spend on groceries each month! And I don't think we'd qualify.

That just boggles my mind. I spend half of that on groceries, haven't sat down in a restaurant in about 3 years (wait, unless you count taking two of my kids out for a diner breakfast about 2 years ago), and haven't seen the beach in over 7.

The irony is, I've given up all of those things so that I can comfortably afford the necessities.

Carrie, you and I probably are on the same "side" here.......but I can't help but say you are being quite dramatic/martyrish (is that a word?).

One friend brags about getting $800 or so in food stamps per month...

Dawn

I can't imagine having $800 to spend on a month's worth of food. I spend WAY less than half that amount. But I have only 4 in my family -- only 3 when ER is away at college -- so I'm guessing your friend has a much bigger family???

That is what someone who is broke SHOULD do. $20 vs $200+ for a prepared cake...not in the same ballpark.

If you can spend all your food money on a cake, you don't need the stamps to begin with.

My food budget would about TRIPLE if I were to go get food stamps.

I'm not joking. I'm not sure how'd i honestly be able to spend all that money - it's been so long since i have had "that much" to spend on groceries i'd be frozen not knowing what to do...

But i'm surprised that packaged cakes are included. Florida doesn't appear to tax snack food - at least it hasn't been at the gas station (i bought 2 bags of peanuts a few weeks ago).

In Texas you can buy deli foods like potato salad as long as it is not hot prepared and it is pre-packaged.

I'm curious, as well.

I'm suspicious of the 'carts full of only junk food and soda' stories, though. My sister tells those sorts of tales, but is usually found to be greatly exaggerating.

It is NOT exaggerated. Watch next time you see someone in line paying with their card. It is amazing!

Our son's birthmom is on assistance. She gets $385 for her family of 3. It does not even meet their needs. So, there is no way she would buy a WEDDING CAKE or anything else extravagant. She does buy one 12 pack of soda a month, hardly an abuse of the system.

I do think they need to be higher regulated. I have been on assistance back when I was a single Mom. I KNOW first hand of the abuse that takes place (not me, but I saw it plenty). Driving escalades and dripping with gold, but getting foodstamps. Having BBQ's for the whole neighborhood. It's sickening.

This is the amount you get in FL, this is depends on how many people are in your house

1 Person, with net income of no more than $867, Food Stamps are $200

2 People, with net income of no more than $1,167, Food Stamps are $367

3 People, with net income of no more than $1,467, Food Stamps are $526

4 People, with net income of no more than $1,767, Food Stamps are $668

5 People, with net income of no more than $2,067, Food Stamps are $793

6 People, with net income of no more than $2,367, Food Stamps are $952

7 People, with net income of no more than $2,267, Food Stamps are $1,052

8 People, with net income of no more than $2,967, Food Stamps are $1,202

For every additional person, add $150 to the total Food Stamps.

Carrie, you and I probably are on the same "side" here.......but I can't help but say you are being quite dramatic/martyrish (is that a word?).

I'm sorry you get that impression. I definitely do get uppity when thinking about the people who abuse the system, and I do see it as a slap in the face to people who wouldn't dream of a Coach purse when they can't afford to pay for food. I don't think that makes me a martyr. Just normal!

I am not on food stamps, nor have I ever been, but I've heard that a lot of people using them get a lot of nasty looks whenever they check out using the food stamps. That's not necessary. I think it's unfortunate that there is so much rage against people on food stamps buying cake/sodas, pregnant women on medicaid having an ultrasound, stepchildren who are just lying on the couch, poor women who keep on having children, and all the other recent threads. Yes, there are people who abuse just about every system, but I don't think having a "bash the poor" session really is very helpful.

(Should it be allowed to buy sugar at all? What about white flour? Why not just deliver a sack of whole wheat (grains, not flour), canned corn, orange juice, and some pinto beans monthly?)

Frankly, I think a serious minority of Americans, of every income level, eat properly. Nor do most spend their money wisely. This seems to be a cultural deficiency.

Edited by stripe

It is NOT exaggerated. Watch next time you see someone in line paying with their card. It is amazing!

I can't say that I've ever paid that much attention to the way the folks in front of me pay for their groceries.

What I do know is that processed crap is much cheaper than fresh, whole food. I have a close relative who has a very strict grocery budget. When she really needs to stretch her dime, the kind of food she can afford (with coupons and such) is horrible.

I suppose there must be quite a few families who receive assistance that are in the same boat. When one must put a certain number of meals on the table and only a few dollars with which to do it, the quality of ingredients is sure to suffer.

This is the amount you get in FL, this is depends on how many people are in your house

7 People, with net income of no more than $2,267, Food Stamps are $1,052

8 People, with net income of no more than $2,967, Food Stamps are $1,202

For every additional person, add $150 to the total Food Stamps.

HMMM...wow...we have 5 kids, myself and my husband and we don't spend $1200 a month on food. And I am not nearly as thrifty as I would like to be.

Maybe we should quit our jobs and move to Florida? =P

Seriously, though - WIC is for young kids, babies, and pregnant and I believe nursing mothers. It's scope is very limited, so that is why you can only buy certain things with it.

No, I don't think it is smart for people on food stamp to be buying junk - but up until recently, it was actually a lot cheaper to buy soda than it was to buy milk. I am not trying to justify it - but our milk was $3 to $4 per gallon for about 2 or 3 years. I can see someone getting soda here and there to save the milk for cereal, etc.

My dad was in a really bad accident when I was in second grade, and we got some food stamps for a while. It was a great help. When I first had my son, I had lost my car, my job and my dad all in the same week, and needed assistance, and got food stamps for about 6 to 9 months. Again, a big help. However, back then it was actual paper (kinda like Monopoly money really), and I would spend a few cents over to make sure that my groceries came to say 10.01 or 10.03 instead of 9.99. That was because you were given the change in coins. I used this change to pay for the bus fare to get to work the first few months that I had a real full time job - the job that helped me get off of welfare.

I don't think most people abuse it. However, I don't think people that get food stamps are any more smart than the general public that are not on food stamps - look in most people's baskets when you go to the store. Junk, Junk and more junk.

Frankly, I think a serious minority of Americans, of every income level, eat properly. Nor do most spend their money wisely. This seems to be a cultural deficiency.

I agree.

And given the obesity issues in this country, it might actually be a positive thing to let families with children buy a basketball with food stamps! It would probably do more good for the family than much of what goes into our mouths. (Said with tongue in cheek.)

How about not being able to use food stamps on any food that is taxed. Most junk food like soda, prepared cakes, candy bars and that type of stuff is taxed. Cake mixes are not. I'm not sure about other states though and how they tax food.

Well, I don't think we should mandate what people eat, so no, I don't think how food stamps are used on food should be regulated. So, if you're poor, or you're disabled (my mother is) you're only able to buy certain foods? I feel like these are a gut reaction by people that if you're poor and accepting aid you should only be able to have the most simple of things, and that it's okay to both judge people for their food choices, and restrict them.

That is exactly what I wanted to say. I think the stuff people are buying, generally, they are buying because they don't know any better. Not just people on food stamps either.

If I were designing the food stamp program, I would limit it, like WIC does. But people would have to be educated on what is healthy because there are people who think danimals or gogurt is good for children. :confused:

I'm sorry you get that impression. I definitely do get uppity when thinking about the people who abuse the system, and I do see it as a slap in the face to people who wouldn't dream of a Coach purse when they can't afford to pay for food. I don't think that makes me a martyr. Just normal!

:iagree: There is too much of a sense of entitlement in America.

I personally don't care what people buy with their food stamps.

I worked for over 10 years in our local welfare department and I just think the "welfare queen" stereotype is greatly exaggerated. I've seen lots of different kinds of people who end up on food stamps. Sometimes it's a teenager mother who's mother was also on food stamps and who unfortunately wasn't strong enough to break the cycle. Sometimes it's someone with a big house and fancy car who lost their job and never imagined in a million years that they'd be sitting across the desk from me . . . but mostly it's everything in between . . . regular hard working people who need the extra help getting by from month to month.

She probably shouldn't have been buying a wedding cake (I don't think here in Texas that would have been possible, but I could be wrong), but I never really worry myself with judging others. We don't really know the history. This may be a once in lifetime purchase. Last month she may have only bought whole wheat crackers, I mean really, how much do we know?

I think it would be a pretty good idea though, to give food stamp recipients some sort of nutrition classes. At the same time, if you've ever spent any time in the food stamp office, you know that it's the kind of place you really just want to get the heck out of, LOL. Shoot, I felt that way and I was on the "right" side of the desk, supposedly.

When I was on food stamps, 20 years ago, there were restrictions on what you could buy, but it was up to the store to set their computers and registers to reject non-regulation foods. This was before the food stamp debit cards I see used today. They were actual food stamps that looked like play money, sorta.

For example, you could not buy any pre-made deli foods, but you could buy pre-made frozen food (frozen pizza was fine; potato salad from the deli wasn't). You couldn't buy alcohol, or any non-food items at all. No paper towels or diapers, just food. I think there still are restrictions, but the stores aren't being vigilant in enforcing them. And, people being people will take advantage if they know they can get away with it.

This is one site with info:

http://www.massresources.org/pages.cfm?contentID=12&pageID=3&subpages=yes&dynamicID=842

What foods can customers buy with SNAP food stamps?

Customers can use foods stamps to buy any food item except food that is sold ready-to-eat, prepared like restaurant food. Eligible food items include all staple foods (dairy products, breads/cereals, fruits/vegetables, and meat/fish/poultry), as well as nonalcoholic drinks, snack foods, candy, and ice.

Customers can use SNAP food stamps to buy seeds or plants that they will grow to produce food for their household.

Customers cannot use SNAP food stamps to buy non-food items like alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, vitamins or medicines, pet foods, soap, cosmetics, laundry products, or paper goods.

Customers cannot use SNAP food stamps to buy ready-to-eat items that are prepared like restaurant food.

Well, I don't think we should mandate what people eat, so no, I don't think how food stamps are used on food should be regulated. So, if you're poor, or you're disabled (my mother is) you're only able to buy certain foods? I feel like these are a gut reaction by people that if you're poor and accepting aid you should only be able to have the most simple of things, and that it's okay to both judge people for their food choices, and restrict them.

It's not a judgment, it's economics. It's less expensive to cook from scratch, it's also healthier which means lower medical costs. Chances are if someone is receiving food stamps they are also receiving other aid. I know that's not always the case. I like the one state that allows plants and seeds to be purchased with food stamps. Truly disabled people should have another type of help available to them. People are not disabled just because they are poor so they should be able to help take care of themselves.

I seriously wouldn't have a problem with someone buying a wedding cake from Walmart with food stamps. I would have a problem if they pulled the card out of a Coach bag.

I personally try not to judge, "There but for the grace of God go I". You know the person with the snack food and soda in their cart may not have purchased something like that in a long time. Not everyone has the talent or time to whip together a full meal from raw ingredients.

My family and I have been through some hard times and if it hadn't of been for family and a church we would have been using food stamps. When you are down enough because of money problems the last thing you need is someone behind you casting judgmental glances about what you are purchasing.

It is true that it's often more economical and healthier to cook from scratch. But if you fall in the category of the working poor, which is probably most people who recieve nutrition assistance, you may not always have the time and energy to cook from scratch.

It's also not true that food stamps is always a lot. I applied for DD and I, and qualified for $27/mo. Obviously, that's not the only groceries I'm going to buy. Since I get it on the 2nd, right after rent is due and before all the other bills are, it tends to get us through that squeeze time of the month. I try and save it for making sure we don't run out of milk, buying fresh fruit, or stocking up staples we're running low on. But really? Sometimes I buy a Starbucks energy drink. Sometimes I have one of those and a 97 cent noodle tray instead of buying a bit more balanced frozen entree for $2-3 for my lunch at work. And that little bit extra means that yes, sometimes, I can buy a box of cookies or some ice cream so DD and I can have a treat.

I shop sales. I try and use coupons. I do try and cook from scratch a couple of times a week, but frankly neither DD nor I like eating the leftovers from it for a week straight (and I don't seem to have the knack of cooking for just 2). Also when it's hot, I prefer to cook in the microwave to spare our electric bill from running the exteremely inefficient oven when it's 100+ degrees.

I do get onto one guy I work with, who would buy a box of candy bars on his food stamps, then return them for cash and buy cigarettes. I actually made sure that got put a stop to--all our night cashiers now know to reverse returns on food stamps to the card!

On average, though, I haven't seen people use food stamps to buy food any differently from people buying food without food stamps. Ignorance of nutrition, or of how to cook, is part of it. Part of it is, not everyone, even if they know what's nutritious and what isn't, is a health nut. And when it comes down to it, a kid getting a meal of, say, spaghettio's ravioli instead of ramen because the food stamps meant the family had more money, is still an improvement.

Even if you give people nutrition classes, plenty are still going to buy what they want to eat, regardless. And while I don't have a problem with tax dollars going to make sure people get enough to eat, or to nutrition education, I do have something of a problem with the government telling me what to eat. Odds are, it would wind up restricting plenty of healthy things right along with whatever is percieved as junk food--anyone notice WIC can't be used for organic? Gogurt would probalby still pass muster, but would the high-fat organic sour cream on the next shelf? Who decides?

I used to have a hard time finding a WIC-acceptable peanut butter that didn't have sugar added! And since when is sugar water all that healthy (i.e., juice)? I used to sit in WIC 'nutrition' classes and annoy the teacher because I'd ask "what about avocados, they're high in fat but aren't they healthy for my kid?" after they gave the lecture about not needing too much fat in a kid's diet. Not to mention "but my kid is underweight and don't they need fat to grow brain cells?" :tongue_smilie:

There are too many confliciting theories of what constitutes a healthy diet for me to be comfortable with the idea of tightly restricting what can be bought with food stamps. Also, as someone pointed out, flour, sugar, and eggs can be used to make a cake, or something healthier. But if someone is broke except for food stamps, why would it be okay for them to have to tell their kid they can't have a birthday cake, when they have food money?

I seriously wouldn't have a problem with someone buying a wedding cake from Walmart with food stamps. I would have a problem if they pulled the card out of a Coach bag.

But how would one know whether the bag was a cheap knock-off that cost less than what one could find at, say, Payless, or a gift from someone who wanted to make her 'poor' friend/relative feel special?

But how would one know whether the bag was a cheap knock-off that cost less than what one could find at, say, Payless, or a gift from someone who wanted to make her 'poor' friend/relative feel special?

Ah, so true. I couldn't tell on a coach, but remember the old dooney & borke (sp?), you could tell on those.

1. The grocers would not appreciate having to go through each purchase checking to see if the client purchased the correct items if food stamps were specific in what the client had to purchase. Could you imagine having to stand in the checkout line that long?

2. The money for food stamps comes from the US government and, as we all have found out this past year, the supply of government money is limitless. This, of course, makes the grocers and farmers very happy. Any sort of restrictions on food stamps would make some of our grocer and farmer friends very unhappy. I would not be surprised if grocers/farmers have some pretty influential lobbyists walking the halls and rotunda of the US Capitol.

Claire in NM

I think that one of the reasons that people buy some much junk and pre-made food, is that they do not know how to cook.

Way back in the day, there were no pre-made food items, you had to know how to cook and you learned this from your mother or grandmother.

Woman now-a-days lead a very different life style, and learning to cook from scratch has gone by the way-side. If kids were taught to cook from an early age, using fresh ingredients, then as adults they would have no problems.

Cooking is not difficult. But if you have never learned how to, then it can be intimidating and buying pre-made dinners to them is easier than cooking.

Not everyone has the talent or time to whip together a full meal from raw ingredients.

I worked 12 years in a grocery store in a low-income area. So many of those people had physical or mental limitations that really inhibited their ability to cook what many of us would be able to. I had two elderly customers who had such severe osteoporosis they were bent over at the waist at nearly a 90-degree angle. I had a family that had some congenital problem that made them very short and kept them all in wheelchairs. I don't have any idea what their home situations were, but in most of their situations, I don't think they would have had the funding for modifications to their kitchens that would assist their ability to reach counters, sinks, stoves, etc. I had numerous customers with severe mental illnesses such that they had little grasp of reality. Also, many of my customers lived in settings that would have prevented cooking of whole grain, healthy meals in the way I think of them. Some lived in assisted living environments where they they had only kitchenettes; others lived in sublet parts of apartments without use of a kitchen.

Ah, so true. I couldn't tell on a coach, but remember the old dooney & borke (sp?), you could tell on those.

Hmmm. No, I don't think I'd know those, either. :tongue_smilie:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I don't pay much attention to other folks' grocery carts or how they choose to pay, but if I did...

There is such a stigma attached to living in a lower class--to needing public assistance. I might assume, if I noticed someone paying for their groceries with food stamps while carrying a brand name bag and wearing 'gold' jewelry and 'designer' clothing that maybe none of it is the real thing. Maybe she is trying to appear as if she belongs. Maybe she's ashamed. Maybe she doesn't want people to notice that she has a hard time making it.

I don't know...I just imagine it's really hard knowing that everyone thinks you're 'lazy' because you don't earn enough money.

Edited by Crissy