Menu

Help a Zero-Waster Think Through Grad Party.

Ginevra

I should say I *aspire* towards zero waste, but truly, I am often foiled by family life. (I notice all the prominent zero wasters seem to be childless single twenty-somethings.) Personally, though, I do try to generate as little trash (recyclable or not) as I can manage. Beverage bottles make me very twitchy and I try to use bottled single-use beverages as little as possible.

For smaller parties, I have had success with using plates, not paper plates, a pitcher of water and iced tea and/or lemonade, though I still use Red Solo cups because I don't have enough drinking glasses.

I am trying to think through the feasibility of having no disposable food service items at DD's grad party. There will be 40+ people attending if most come. So my questions are:

1) Is this too kooky for words?

2) should I go with partial disposable stuff and others not, i.e., I can probably provide dinner plates, but perhaps not eating utensils, unless I get a bunch of cheapies.

3) should I use a drink dispenser for water and tea? Is it pointless if people use Solo cups anyway? Should I find a way to have drinking glasses or am I just making myself unduly crazy?

4) has anybody done this (in this century)?

If it affects anybody's answers, my house is large and there is ample storage, so if I have to, say, store fifty glasses for a future party, it's not a big problem.

P.S. Trash really does bother me way more than it bothers others. I notice giant trash cans at other parties and it makes me cringe inwardly.

I do not find the idea kooky at all. I throw a large party (40 people) every single year without any disposable items other than paper napkins.

I have purchased a stack of colorful reusable dish washer safe plastic plates that take up little storage space because they stack well (I like those over heavier ceramic/porcelain plates for garden bbq parties and parties where guests walk around/stand).

I use regular glasses and silverware.

Now, of course, glasses will not be matching since I do not own 40 identical glasses of any kind, but nobody has ever complained about it. Silverware - if you don't have enough- is easy to borrow since it can't break. Alternatively, utensils are 10 cents at the thrift store.

• Like 4

Do you have a relative or a good friend that might borrow you more dishes and glasses?  I regularly do almost zero waste for up to almost 25, but 40 *might* push me over if I didn't have some reinforcements (although I think I could do appetizers/drinks zero waste now).  I do use paper napkins for these events.  Do you have a desire to own any more glasses/dishes?  You could hit up thrift shops if you were planning on doing more stuff like this?  We actually got a nice looking 2nd set of dishes for not too much at an antique store.  If you can store more stuff for use later, why not?  Sounds great.  Honestly, now I absolutely hate eating off paper and drinking out of plastic because we never use that stuff at home. 

• Like 2

Do you have a relative or a good friend that might borrow you more dishes and glasses? I regularly do almost zero waste for up to almost 25, but 40 *might* push me over if I didn't have some reinforcements (although I think I could do appetizers/drinks zero waste now). I do use paper napkins for these events. Do you have a desire to own any more glasses/dishes? You could hit up thrift shops if you were planning on doing more stuff like this? We actually got a nice looking 2nd set of dishes for not too much at an antique store. If you can store more stuff for use later, why not? Sounds great. Honestly, now I absolutely hate eating off paper and drinking out of plastic because we never use that stuff at home.

It would not *bother* me to buy more. I don't expect it to be the last time I ever throw a party of this size. It was about five years ago that I decided to get enough regular dishes to host 25; this would be more of the same philosophy. Thrift store is a good idea; there is always tons of kitchen ware they practically give away. I do not care if it doesn't match.

• Like 2

Mason jars are cheap, so use those for glassware and place them back in their original box when done.  Places like Target sell cute, reusable plastic ware plates for summer so purchase in multi-colors.  If you owned a serger you could make napkins.  Set out pitchers of ice water with fruit floating on the top.  Walmart sells beverage dispensers so fill one with iced tea or lemonade. 

• Like 6

Costco has a pack of good quality clear plastic forks, knives, and spoons that are dishwasher safe. We just use these over and over again for guests. Pint canning jars make great drinking glasses and are cheap but sturdy, at least we think so. :)

eta Walmart also has super cheap silverware. nothing fancy but they work just fine.

• Like 1

I do not find the idea kooky at all. I throw a large party (40 people) every single year without any disposable items other than paper napkins.

I have purchased a stack of colorful reusable dish washer safe plastic plates that take up little storage space because they stack well (I like those over heavier ceramic/porcelain plates for garden bbq parties and parties where guests walk around/stand).

I use regular glasses and silverware.

Now, of course, glasses will not be matching since I do not own 40 identical glasses of any kind, but nobody has ever complained about it. Silverware - if you don't have enough- is easy to borrow since it can't break. Alternatively, utensils are 10 cents at the thrift store.

Do you have a brand or link? I like the idea of the plates being low profile.

Mason jars are cheap, so use those for glassware and place them back in their original box when done. Places like Target sell cute, reusable plastic ware plates for summer so purchase in multi-colors. If you owned a serger, you could make napkins. Set out pitchers of ice water with fruit floating on the top. Walmart sells beverage dispensers so fill one with iced tea or lemonade.

Mason jars! Great idea! I have many that are not currently in use because summer vegetables will go in them later.

• Like 1

Costco has a pack of good quality clear plastic forks, knives, and spoons that are dishwasher safe. We just use these over and over again for guests. Pint canning jars make great drinking glasses and are cheap but sturdy, at least we think so. :)

eta Walmart also has super cheap silverware. nothing fancy but they work just fine.

I think the problem with this is, if it looks like disposable forks, a lot of people will throw them away. This is what I have done for several years, but there are family members who are basically anti-recycling, sadly. If it isn't a plate or utensil that looks like a real thing, they will throw it in the trash.

• Like 1

Not kooky.  I have done this for up to 60 people with relative ease.

First, I can every year so I have tons of canning jars.  These make great glasses, clean up nicely in the dishwasher, and no one is heart broken if one breaks.  If you do not can, perhaps you know someone who does who would loan you the amount of jars you need?  Sometimes my dd makes cute little ribbons so people can mark their identical jars to keep mix-ups from happening.  We have also just used a crayon to mark initials.  It comes out in washing.  I also use the jars to hold silverware, flowers, etc.....  It is all the rage now in the wedding world, but I have been using them for entertaining for well over a decade.

I only own place settings for about 10 people.  Our local co-op has a dish (and silverware) lending system and it is FREE.  All I have to do is remember to reserve the amount I need.  They don't match, but they get the job done.  Other times I have borrowed from neighbors and friends.  I know churches sometimes also do this although I do not belong to one so have never explored the option.  I HATE eating off of disposable plates so this is a huge priority for me.  If neither of these options were available to me, I entertain enough that it would be worth it for me to pick up dishes at Goodwill or garage sales to store in the attic.  If you go that route, keep your eyes open for cute Christmas plates.  They are usually dirt cheap in the off-season and are perfect for giving cookies as gifts.  People can either keep the dishes, return them for you to use next year, or donate them.  We have a handful that have been returned and re-cookied to the SAME family for years and years.  For some reason they really get a kick out of it.

I picked up a couple of second hand Brita systems.  The big rectangular kind that holds 2 gallons.  I use these for tea, water, and lemonade dispensers (without using the whole filter part).  We use them for camping too.  I have also seen a similar type dispenser sold at my grocery store at the water station.  It is meant for refilling from their filtered water service.  Those would also work and they are surprisingly cheap. 

I have more than enough cloth napkins for 60+ people.  The first time I ran short, I simply bought a big pretty sheet at the thrift store, washed it on hot, then cut into napkin shapes with zig-zag scissors.  Those come out of the attic any time I am entertaining large groups.  Thrift store sheets also make nice table cloths and picnic blankets.

Some might think it is all a bit "scrappy" and it certainly is not "elegant" but I'll take a little mis-match over bags of landfill-bound garbage.

• Like 2

Depending on what kind of a party you are having - I have attended several events where every family brought their own service, one idea, this certainly might be an event where you didn't want to do this.

I would not attend a party where I had to bring my own plates, glasses, and silverware. I think it is beyond tacky.

I can't even imagine ever asking my party guests to bring their own place settings. :svengo:

• Like 11

What about coffee mugs? We have a wide variety from different places and it would always bug me when we had company and didn't have enough of a set. Dh pointed out that matching coffee cups was silly, and they should all be different so everyone knows which cup is theirs. We often use them for water or other drinks and they are super cheap at thrift stores.

Dad suggested that next Christmas he would buy lots of the cheap holiday dishes at the thrift store and then just donate them back so we wouldn't have to store them. It's a charity we support anyway, so I can see the sense in that.

• Like 2

Go on Facebook. Tell your friends you want to have a party without generating trash. Ask to borrow stuff. You'll have more stuff offered to you than you need by nightfall. Half those people will want to GIVE you their surplus plastic up collection.

If that doesn't work, get paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic spoons. Reuse them all in your garden. Compost the plates, use the cups for pots, and use the utensils for plant markers.

• Like 3

I think the problem with this is, if it looks like disposable forks, a lot of people will throw them away. This is what I have done for several years, but there are family members who are basically anti-recycling, sadly. If it isn't a plate or utensil that looks like a real thing, they will throw it in the trash.

It's true. I have to dig in the trash for them after big parties because inevitable people throw some away. I've thought about putting a big note on the trashcan reminding others to not throw them away!

• Like 2

Mason jars

Glass plates are $1 each at dollar store or sometimes cheap sets at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon. I also use these for giving people cookies, pound or coffee cake, and tell them to not to worry about returning the plate. I have about 25ish. They are slightly different but all similar enough not to drive me nuts. Recyclable if they get chipped.

Melamine plates are inexpensive as well. I've bought a few sets on clearance to use by the pool.

Flatware from Sam's/Costco in 24 or 36 packs, depending on brand. I have approximately one zillion spoons and forks. Not as many knives. I do like the bulk pack of serrated knives. Good for cookouts. IKEA has cute, small dessert forks and spoons. We use those daily for kids, but they're great for parties too.

HomeGoods usually has nice drink dispensers, especially this time of year. I usually do water, unsweet tea, and lemonade.

• Like 3

Mason jars

Glass plates are $1 each at dollar store or sometimes cheap sets at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon. I also use these for giving people cookies, pound or coffee cake, and tell them to not to worry about returning the plate. I have about 25ish. They are slightly different but all similar enough not to drive me nuts. Recyclable if they get chipped.

Melamine plates are inexpensive as well. I've bought a few sets on clearance to use by the pool.

Flatware from Sam's/Costco in 24 or 36 packs, depending on brand. I have approximately one zillion spoons and forks. Not as many knives. I do like the bulk pack of serrated knives. Good for cookouts. IKEA has cute, small dessert forks and spoons. We use those daily for kids, but they're great for parties too.

HomeGoods usually has nice drink dispensers, especially this time of year. I usually do water, unsweet tea, and lemonade.

We've used our dollar tree plates for years, and they're holding up great. Well, we usually eat off of paper plates for breakfast and lunch, so that could more so be why.  :leaving:

• Like 2

Not kooky at all. :-)

I have two sets of inexpensive plastic plates that I bought at Garden Ridge? Something like that. Two sets: one that's bright colors, one that's red and green (for Christmas, also works for Valentine's Day). I've had them for over 10 years and have used them multiple times.

I bought flatware at Sam's that was quite inexpensive but is still dishwasher-safe and stays shiny (some metal doesn't after it goes through the dishwasher. I like shiny.).

Once for a Valentine's Day dinner I bought fabric and cut it into napkins--no hems, just the scalloped edging made by my shears. I cut them too small, though; they really needed to be 24" and I cut them smaller than that. I have used them as decorations since then. :-)

I never buy bottled water. I always use some sort of pitcher or dispenser and serve iced tea or lemonade (and water) instead of soft drinks.

I don't mind disposable cups, though.

• Like 1

Not kooky. I mean, asking people to bring their own is maybe not feasible, but I think you just go buy a bunch of cheap plates, glasses, and dinnerware. And then you have it for the next couple of decades. Go with white plates and either glasses or really bland looking plastic cups. If you're not against plastic, melamine is certainly going to be light and easy to store.

• Like 3

Quill, somebody has to do it so it might as well be me.

I VOTE KOOKY. :D

My suggestion is to hire a caterer to supply everything and then they can haul it away to wash it in their secret caterer's batcave when the party is over. :)

Ah, DH would have a total stroke. He will not see a huge 50-gallon bag of trash as a problem; he isn't sensitive to it and just sort of endures my kooky anti-trash stance. If he knew or thought my motive for having it catered was to avoid paper plates and plastic forks, he would be seriously not okay with that. :)

We didn't even have professional catering for our wedding. True story.

• Like 1

You can rent all the stuff you need from an event rental place. It might not be super cheap, but there wouldn't be trash. :)

Yeah, but see my reply to Cat. I do plan to rent chairs and possibly two tables, but that's different; there's no way around needing to have places where people can sit.

• Like 1

Hi Quill,

I vote kooky, but in my world kooky is a good thing.

I went window shopping for you. I mean, Windows shopping. :)

Forks: http://www.walmart.com/ip/WALCO-7205-Dinner-Fork-Length-7-In-PK-24/41024155

Spoons: http://www.walmart.com/ip/WALCO-7207-Dessert-Spoon-Length-6-15-16-In-PK-24/41202076.

Pretty cheap for 24, imo. I didn't look for knives. (We don't use them often.)

Small Plates: http://www.amazon.com/Party-Essentials-Plastic-40-Count-Assorted/dp/B006TST6B6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433025009&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+plate+lot

Large plates: http://www.amazon.com/Party-Essentials-Luncheon-20-Count-Assorted/dp/B00A2B2NGQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433025009&sr=8-3&keywords=plastic+plate+lot

Cups: http://www.amazon.com/Party-Essentials-10-Ounce-Tumblers-100-Count/dp/B004VPNGR4/ref=pd_sim_79_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KAXZDM5WD02YFJSG0YY

I haven't used any of the above products, so I can't say what kind of quality they are.

Below are the plates and cups my kids use every day, but they are a bit more expensive. They are children's plates, but I think they're festive for a summer party.

http://www.amazon.com/501-929-59-BPA-Free-Assorted-Colors-6-Pack/dp/B00Q4O5PVA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1433025009&sr=8-10&keywords=plastic+plate+lot

http://www.amazon.com/101-929-56-BPA-Free-Tumbler-Assorted-Colors/dp/B00Q4O5RYU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433024793&sr=8-4&keywords=plastic+cup+lot

Wow, I think you're my bff now. I really like the Ikea plates.

• Like 1

Wow! I am totally impressed that anyone could manage hosting a party for 40 people and NOT use disposable items.

Truth be told, knowing someone can host a party, on their own, for 40 people impresses me. I do not have this skill and sure wish I did!

• Like 1

If you decide to use a form of disposable plates- for large events and camping, I buy a special type of plates made for compost. They are not like paper plates as they are very thick and sturdy. Liquids don't soak into them and they are great frisbees as my kids showed.

We go to a few events that have each family bring their own plates, cups and sliver ware. I don't mind it at all.

Wow! I am totally impressed that anyone could manage hosting a party for 40 people and NOT use disposable items.

Truth be told, knowing someone can host a party, on their own, for 40 people impresses me. I do not have this skill and sure wish I did!

There really is nothing TO it - unless you have friends with expensive tastes who sneer at casual food.

We throw an annual end-of-semester barbeque at our house, invite our entire department and our friends, plus families.  I spend the morning of the party making big batches of various salads: potato salad, pasta salad, quinoa salad, vegetable salad and green salad. An hour before the party I throw two dishes of potato wedges into the oven to roast. Wash some fruit and put it in a bowl. We grill brats, have bread and buns, lots of drinks available, and that's it.

Served buffet style in the kitchen. We put whatever lawn chairs and tables we have into our drive way. We borrow from the neighbors. If it rains (that has happened), we move everything into the garage.

Some guests bring food (never know what or whether it will happen at all), some guests bring a six pack or a bottle of wine - but we'd have enough without.

A party is made by the people. Invite fun people who enjoy being there, and then it's easy.

• Like 9

Yeah, but see my reply to Cat. I do plan to rent chairs and possibly two tables, but that's different; there's no way around needing to have places where people can sit.

You might want to get a quote from them for plates, silverware, etc. you might be surprised how inexpensive it would be. :)

• Like 4

I should say I *aspire* towards zero waste, but truly, I am often foiled by family life. (I notice all the prominent zero wasters seem to be childless single twenty-somethings.) Personally, though, I do try to generate as little trash (recyclable or not) as I can manage. Beverage bottles make me very twitchy and I try to use bottled single-use beverages as little as possible.

For smaller parties, I have had success with using plates, not paper plates, a pitcher of water and iced tea and/or lemonade, though I still use Red Solo cups because I don't have enough drinking glasses.

I am trying to think through the feasibility of having no disposable food service items at DD's grad party. There will be 40+ people attending if most come. So my questions are:

1) Is this too kooky for words?

2) should I go with partial disposable stuff and others not, i.e., I can probably provide dinner plates, but perhaps not eating utensils, unless I get a bunch of cheapies.

3) should I use a drink dispenser for water and tea? Is it pointless if people use Solo cups anyway? Should I find a way to have drinking glasses or am I just making myself unduly crazy?

4) has anybody done this (in this century)?

If it affects anybody's answers, my house is large and there is ample storage, so if I have to, say, store fifty glasses for a future party, it's not a big problem.

P.S. Trash really does bother me way more than it bothers others. I notice giant trash cans at other parties and it makes me cringe inwardly.

This is not kooky at all. Why, I don't think I've ever bought reusable things for this and I re-wash reusable plates and cups in the dishwasher if there are too many people for my set.

I say buy a huge set at Goodwill, all classy/antiquey, and arrange in a pattern.

Water glasses, as a PP said, can be mason jars. They are very durable.

Style the whole thing "antique chic" and remember that alternating complementary colors/patterns lets you use multiple incomplete sets.

Use labels to encourage people to keep their glasses.

I have 40 cloth napkins. I would encourage place setting names so that people can keep their napkins and cups. Plan to run the dishwasher once halfway through the party.

While I do think there are people who are all about disposable, I know lots of people who would not dream of holding a party at home with disposable things. Maybe in public, but even then, for example, we used all recyclable things and wiped them out to recycle. (I didn't want to bring my dishes to the park.) OTOH, we did use to bring real plates and cups.

Re: tables and chairs: I agree if you rent these, definitely ask about place settings. Then they do the dishes!

• Like 1

Wow, I think you're my bff now. I really like the Ikea plates.

The Ikea dishes are perfect for us because there are 6 colors for my 6 kids.  No more mixing up cups!

They are really pretty good quality, although the plates are showing wear from microwaving leftovers on them.

I'm thinking about getting some more in case I get brave enough to host a party.  Without disposable dishes.

Quill, you're going to push me out of my comfort zone. ;)

• Like 2

Pfaltzgraff is often available at thrift stores (the "country" look patterns); I pick up the lunch-size plates for parties, and have about 30 at this point.  I am very picky, and only choose brand name items.  I go for a "stoneware", "pottery" type look, and everything works together well.  

I also pick up larger platters and bowls for serving.  Simple, quality foods (fruit, cheese, bread, appetizers) look really upscale when served on a lovely china/stoneware platter.

You can also find huge sets of good china for $30 or so here.  The down side is that it doesn't go in the dishwasher, but it does look lovely!  

Mason jars for drinks - they have the bonus of not being easily knocked over.  

Thrift for forks, spoons, knives.  I especially like to pick up serving pieces, like big spoons to scoop out pasta salad, or those little knives for spreading things, or teeny spoons for jelly on a cheese platter.  I avoid any cutlery that isn't all metal, and I am picky about quality.  I like heavier ones for daily use and lighter ones for lunchboxes, but either will do for parties.

Thrift for tablecloths; pick a color scheme (we do blue and white) and it will look less jumbled.

Thrift for napkins; I am very picky and only buy cotton ones (as they are more absorbent than the easier-to-find polyester) with hemmed (not serged or fringed) edges.  A friend collects white/ecru linen ones.  Alternately, you can easily sew them.  If you don't have a serger, just use a double layer of fabric - cut squares, sew around with right sides together leaving a small opening, turn, and topstitch.  My last batch of cloth napkins lasted through over twenty years of daily use, so pick colors you love!  

While you're thrifting, look for vases; we have a collection of cobalt glass ones that go nicely with the blue and white tablecloths.

I differ with previous posters on two points - 

--I like melamine, but it doesn't hold up anywhere near as well as stoneware - sometimes it stains.  I also think ceramic dishes make for a much more upscale look, which I like.  If you're planning to hold large gatherings in the future, I'd invest in the higher quality and durability of ceramic and glass items.

--I am not a fan of drink dispensers (the kind with a spout).  They are hard to clean, and either need to be raised up on a stand to get the cup under the spout, or the spout is high and you have to tip the dispenser to get out the last few cups of liquid. Instead, I prefer old-fashioned pitchers (or even a punch bowl, if you can find one).  

For 40 people, you don't need a ton of stuff, so be picky - focus on quality and your mix-and-match color scheme.

While you're doing this for sustainability reasons (not kooky, IMHO), you are going to end up with a much classier look than the usual disposable dishes, plastic tablecloths, and red solo cups seen so often nowadays. 

• Like 2

We usually either host dessert parties or finger food parties and years ago I decided to buy clear glass plates- dessert size- so like 7 inches. They don't all match but I have about 40 of them. They go with any party decoration, they last forever, and clean up easily in the dishwasher.  The forks I accumulated to go with them are stored with the plates, which makes it super easy because when I need the plates, the forks are right there. 

This will make you twitchy- we usually just serve bottled water. It's cheap and I don't have to wash or store glasses.  

Have you checked goodwill? You may be able to find several sets to stash for other big occasions. How many more would you really need if you already have dishes for 12-20 people?

I own those one dollar clear glass plates that have flowers (or cabbage leaves) on them. I have twelve and have used them for EVERYTHING for years.

ETA: They seem to be $1.50 now, but they come in handy for so many occasions. I have the salad-sized plates. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/luminarc-canterbury-10-75-inch-dinner-plate/1011512860?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_&adpos=1o2&creative=43742634709&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv6WrBRD4gbngqe7mosYBEiQAIB5oTKsj6YfqmKrpR4Ax1yyiLpja_Vf19L0PwuWLZrnh9c0aApC_8P8HAQ

• Like 2

Yes, those are like some in my collection! When I got them they were more like 99 cents and I used a coupon to bring the price down more.  But man, they are so useful!!

• Like 1

We usually either host dessert parties or finger food parties and years ago I decided to buy clear glass plates- dessert size- so like 7 inches. They don't all match but I have about 40 of them. They go with any party decoration, they last forever, and clean up easily in the dishwasher. The forks I accumulated to go with them are stored with the plates, which makes it super easy because when I need the plates, the forks are right there.

This will make you twitchy- we usually just serve bottled water. It's cheap and I don't have to wash or store glasses.

Yes, twitchy. Bottles sitting everywhere with half the water left drives me insane. Recycling bin filled with bottles also makes me insane.

• Like 1

Do you have a brand or link? I like the idea of the plates being low profile.

I have about 30 of these http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-melamine-square-dinner-plate/-/A-14782092#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=square+plate (in red) that I use for parties as I discovered most of my parties involve the color red :). They are super sturdy, stack great, and are dishwasher safe. We use them for birthday parties and BBQs.

I see they come in sets and other colors now:http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-12-piece-square-dinnerware-set/-/A-14376296. We use the salad plates as dinner plates and have a few dinner plates for use as platters. IME Target always has a couple colors in stock.

• Like 2

Are you on a Buy Nothing Group for your area? Maybe a neighbor can lend you glasses?

I wouldn't buy stuff for the party that you won't need down the line.

No...I didn't know there was such a thing! My MIL has rather a lot of glasses, so that is a possibility. Bonus: she has been saying since 1983 that all this disposable stuff and bottled drinks are such a waste. In her case, she sees it as purely an economic error, but the end result is the same.

P.S. It will most likely come in handy in the future.

• Like 1

Absolutely not a kooky idea - I despise disposable table ware, and regularly host parties for 40+  

Here is my decision making process for party gear:

If you will use it repeatedly, buy it

If you won't use it, borrow it (a facebook post always turns up multiple offers of anything I can dream of)

If you can't borrow it, rent it (check out party rental companies, but honestly this is often more expensive than buying)

• Like 1

I have about 30 of these http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-melamine-square-dinner-plate/-/A-14782092#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=square+plate (in red) that I use for parties as I discovered most of my parties involve the color red :). They are super sturdy, stack great, and are dishwasher safe. We use them for birthday parties and BBQs.

I see they come in sets and other colors now:http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-12-piece-square-dinnerware-set/-/A-14376296. We use the salad plates as dinner plates and have a few dinner plates for use as platters. IME Target always has a couple colors in stock.

I like that a lot. I think Melamine would be a good material. I have a few that I use as serving plates. Very durable and stack skinny.

But but but. . . If you rent glasses from a party rental place, you do get to return them unwashed. They come in a tray, you return them in the tray, and someone else washes them.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Hates Washing Glasses

• Like 4