Menu

Our cat attacked my ds - Prayers please...

We have an indoor cat and have had him since he was a kitten. He's about 1yo now. Yesterday my son, he's 11 btw, came in from petting our outdoor cat on the porch and bent down to pet the indoor cat. He lunged onto my son's head. He had his front paws latched behind my son's ears and was using his hind legs to claw his face. It happened in mere seconds and my son was scratched unbelievably. I have never seen so much blood. There are scratches in his hair on his scalp, both ears (in and behind), all over the face, neck, arms, and hands, one just missed his eye by a hair. The worst ones were beside his nose, took one stitch, above the upper lip, took 3 stitches, and it sliced his upper lip in half, took 9 stitches. It took 8 shots in his little face to numb it for stitches in the various places. He has to take augmentin 3x/day for 10 days to prevent cat scratch fever. I didn't even know that was a real thing (just keep thinking of Ted Nugent).

I know a lot of you have dear family cats that you love, but please be cautious. I have heard of these types of things happening, but never thought it would happen here.

Please, if you pray, pray for his speedy recovery and little scarring on his little face.

Kim

I wonder if some others here might know more about scar prevention. I have heard that it is good to keep scars sheilded from the sun. I have also heard good things about Vit. E oil. Praise God that his eyes are ok.

Bless his heart! Just awful.

I'm so sorry that this happened to him. Poor guy, he must have been scared to death. Like ALexanda mentioned, thank goodness his eyes are alright.

He has to take augmentin 3x/day for 10 days to prevent cat scratch fever. I didn't even know that was a real thing (just keep thinking of Ted Nugent).

My oldest son got this from one of his own cats. He was sick and in excruciating pain for almost 3 weeks because all of the lymph nodes in his groin area were so swollen. Two rounds of different antibiotics later they finally got it cleared up. The odd thing though was that the dr. didn't even realize what was wrong with him when he first came in. It wasn't until he went back in a week later that the dr. remembered seeing a couple of scratch marks on his leg.

Hope he recovers quickly.

I'm so sorry! It was the scent of the other cat on him. Some cats are waaaaaay more territorial than others. We currently have a cat like this, as well. Is this indoor cat male and un-neutered? If so, then that may be a contributing factor to a more severe reaction.

We've been using concoctions that contain tea tree oil to prevent serious infection for several years now with good success. I'm also hearing very good things about manuka honey for healing serious wounds - but haven't found a source around here for obtaining same.

Good luck to you with the healing process! We've been using a Derma E product for healing of scars, too. It's just called Scar Gel. It contains allium and we've had very good success with it.

Thank you all so much. I will try the vit e oil.

Praise God that his eyes are ok.

I do! As bad as it was, it could have been so much worse.

What is going to happen to your cat?

My dh opened the front door and threw him outside as we were leaving to go the the ER. The hospital asked if we called Animal Control and I told her I didn't even think of it, I was just worried about getting my son help. They said they would call them. I thought it would be gone when we got home, but there he was. He had stayed on the front porch all day. I don't know what to do with him. I truly don't. Despite this, I hate to think of him being put down, but I can't do nothing and let this happen to someone else. I know for a fact he won't be staying here. I wish there was somewhere he could go. But, I can't just find him a new home, he could do this again. And who would take a psycho cat anyway? I just don't know what to do. What would y'all do?

Kim

Edited by home4school

Oh your poor ds!!! I'm so glad he's okay - but that must have been so scary for him. How's he feeling now?

About the cat - I definately think putting him down is the best thing to do. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. What does your ds think about putting him down? I'm just thinking of my 11 yo and if that had happened to him, he'd be blaming himself for us having to put the cat down.

I'll pray for you!

So sorry to hear about what happened to your son!

The vitamin E oil really can work wonders. My daughter split her chin open horribly when she was about 3 years old and she has barely any scar at all. Avoiding direct sunlight with hats and/or sunscreen at least the first number of months will also help with the scarring.

I hope your son heals quickly!

Lisa

We haven't mentioned putting the cat down in front of our son. He thinks we can find him a home on a farm with no other cats and dogs and that would be the best thing. Bless his little heart. He just wants the cat to have a good home where someone can love him and help him not to be mean anymore.

Those of you who know about cats, is there something wrong with this cat? Is this typical for a male trying to be territorial? Or is this totally out of character for a normal cat? I hate for the cat to be put down if this is just their God-given instinct, but if this cat has something wrong with him, I just don't know what to think. I wish it were as simple as my son thinks. That there would be a place he could live and they could help him not be mean anymore.

Its just so sad, we've raised him from just a wee tiny kitten.

Being still intact will definitely contribute to increased aggressiveness and being territorial. I think that is a huge part of it. That and the fact that he has territory that isn't shared with that outdoor cat. I think he probably thought the outdoor cat, that he can sense outside, was coming into his space. The way the attack happened is what you see unneutered male cats do to other cats when in a fight.

Neutering him would make a big difference to his behavior/personality. Still, I wouldn't keep an animal that attacked a person in such a vicious manner. I can understand a simple bite or swipe of the claws to someone bugging the cat but not an all-out attack.

We haven't mentioned putting the cat down in front of our son. He thinks we can find him a home on a farm with no other cats and dogs and that would be the best thing. Bless his little heart. He just wants the cat to have a good home where someone can love him and help him not to be mean anymore.

Those of you who know about cats, is there something wrong with this cat? Is this typical for a male trying to be territorial? Or is this totally out of character for a normal cat? I hate for the cat to be put down if this is just their God-given instinct, but if this cat has something wrong with him, I just don't know what to think. I wish it were as simple as my son thinks. That there would be a place he could live and they could help him not be mean anymore.

Its just so sad, we've raised him from just a wee tiny kitten.

It can be a "normal" behavior for a territoral redirection of his cat to cat aggression. It can happen with the best of them at the vet hospital, at home, anywhere really. You said he was not neutered yet? That could cause him to be more territorial as well. Is he up to date on his vax? If not then beofr eyou have him put down talk to animal control because some states require a proper quarentine after hurting someone. Some states have that even if he was vaccinated.

I am so sorry that had to happen to your son. It is such a shocking thing to have that happen and it sounds like your osn is handling everything very well. I think talking with him about this sooner rather than later though would be a good idea and explain to him that sometimes the right homes cannot be found safely for certain critters. With that strong of a territorial reaction though you would not even be able to safely take him to most home shelters either so I would be straight with your son though. He is at a tough age where a part of him will be able to understand but those emotions can still really get to you.

Good luck and vit. E is def. recommended for scar tissue.

I am so incredibly sorry to hear about what happened to your son. He has my prayers. :grouphug:

As for the cat, I would check to see if he needs to be quarantined at all, first, and then I would put him down asap, just as I would a dog that viciously attacked someone. Sorry, but any animal that attacks a person gets put down in my view, it doesn't matter if its cat or dog, following their instincts or not...once they've attacked a person, they're unsafe to be kept as a pet.

Im so sorry for your poor son.

I think its disgraceful to put the animal down.

You should first neuter him, which should have been done long before now. Then try to either give him to a no kill shelter or maybe the problem will be solved.

I don't understand why people do not take care of their animals. Neutering and spaying are imperative.

I think its disgraceful to put the animal down.

You should first neuter him, which should have been done long before now. Then try to either give him to a no kill shelter or maybe the problem will be solved.

I don't understand why people do not take care of their animals. Neutering and spaying are imperative.

In some states if she took this cat to a shelter or gave him to another there are certain laws that she could still be liable should he ever attack another.

I agree the neutering would have been a great idea but many cat breeders can safely contain Toms without having them attack another so she has to now think for her family first. Legally though she needs to keep the cat until quarentine is over unless AC will take the control of it.

In some states if she took this cat to a shelter or gave him to another there are certain laws that she could still be liable should he ever attack another.

I agree the neutering would have been a great idea but many cat breeders can safely contain Toms without having them attack another so she has to now think for her family first. Legally though she needs to keep the cat until quarentine is over unless AC will take the control of it.

If such liability was truly an issue, rescue organizations and shelters would not be able to exist. Furthermore, reputable breeders tend to have more working knowledge of animals than your average pet owner.

If such liability was truly an issue, rescue organizations and shelters would not be able to exist. Furthermore, reputable breeders tend to have more working knowledge of animals than your average pet owner.

Liability is truly an issue. We got a dog from a no kill shelter as a young puppy. This dog (a spayed female) ended up becoming an alpha-type personality which gave us some concern. We worked with her and she was generally a good dog until I got pregnant. Something about pregnancy hormones freaked her out and she became over-protective. No one could come within 30 feet of me without getting growled at. If they got too close, she'd nip. We kept her on a short leash because we didn't know what was up with her, at first. Then she nipped a neighbor in the hand, leaving two minor puncture wounds. She had never showed aggression to this neighbor before. The no kill shelter refused to take her back despite the fact that our contract required that we give her back should we ever need to rehome her. They sited liability. They even advised me to put her down. They explained that even if the new owner signed an agreement that they understood this dog's issues and were willing to accept liability, we could be held liable if anything happened...and that could lead to million dollar judgments against us. I called several no kill shelters and none of them would take her for the same reason.

I imagine a cat that attacked with this amount of damage would fall under the same concerns as a dog that nipped with little damage.

I guess I'm cold hearted. I mean, I love animals, I do. I love our cat. But if he attacked one of our children as described in the OP, my dh and I would have no hesitation in seeing him put down. There's no way we'd trust him again around children, and no way we could rehome him knowing the danger and harm he represented and what he could do to a vulnerable child.

Once an animal has harmed a person, especially to the degree described in the OP, I really don't believe in 2nd chances. Why risk another child?

Wow! I hope your son is okay- cat scratches and bites are very bad news, infection wise. My mom landed in the hospital after getting bit by her cat (she was bathing him, its a long story, LOL). My kids have had some really ugly looking scars that have faded incredibly fast as they grow, it seems like kids heal so much faster and better. I will pray that is the case for your poor son.

I've had many, many cats my entire life, volunteer at a cat rescue, and have never, ever heard of a cat attack! Some scratching trying to get away, yes, but an all out attack?! I can't imagine there isn't something wrong with the cat. Yes, neutering is VITAL for cats, they will get aggressive, but normally that is to OTHER cats, not people! Truly, he might have a brain tumor or something weird going on that made him so aggressive, because this sounds so out of character for a cat to do.

In the grand scheme of things, having seen how truly awful and tormented some of the lives strays and abused animals lead, being euthanised is pretty humane. He will probably end up euthanised anyway if you give him to the pound or ASPCA, as older cats do not get adopted very often due to the influx of kittens from irresponsible pet owners. Better, IMO, to spare him the trauma of being alone in a cage before it is done- take him to the vet and do it yourself. You can tell your son he went to a farm, I would tell a white lie in this case to spare him the guilt of feeling like its "his fault". It ISN'T his fault, and probably best for all involved (including the cat, honestly) to have him put down.

Okay, well this is pretty normal for an un-neutered male after about nine months of age. Neutered cats who live indoors together will even fight with each other if one has been away for a while and comes back in with new smells clinging to it. He wasn't attacking your son, he was attacking the smell of the other cat.

I'm so, so sorry that this happened. I'm sure you do want to have him removed from your home, but if he's neutered and becomes an indoor cat for someone else, there really probably shouldn't be a recurrence of behaviour like this.

I've had both indoor, outdoor, and farm cats all my life. I'm currently living with the most aggressive, female golden tabby I've ever had. She doesn't really mean to hurt us, but we had her declawed and so she turned to use of her teeth, instead. She expresses any displeasure with her teeth - ugh.....

I really generally prefer the easier going male cats. Once neutered, they really are more like male lions, preferring to lay around and let the females do all the work. So if you seek a replacement in the future, know that females can be more aggressive than males, but that both are generally more docile when neutered (except mine, LOL).

:( I'm so sorry for your son! Scars on the face are tough. I'm always warning my youngest to keep her face away from our pets and reminding her that they are still animals.

We had a neutered cat that was like this. He went to live with my mom and dad and was very happy with them living outdoors.

One of our indoor cats (we have two) scratched the white of Ben's eye when he kept walking in front of the cat. We realized that our cat was watching our lizard intently and got annoyed. The lizard died a couple of months ago, and our cat is back to normal.

We did buy soft paws for her, though.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry for you son. I will pray that he heals completely, physically and emotionally.

I had a cat years ago that I adored. He had a head injury as an 8 week old kitten that was quite serious ( got his head cought in the lazy susan in the kitchen.). He was back to normal within a week, though, after a few days at the emergency clinic and some anti-inflamatories.

Fast forward 6 months. My sweat, beloved kitten viciously attacked me. When I fought him off and ran, he chased me and attacked again. My husband and father came to my rescue and the cat turned on them, biting right through my Dad's thumb and severing the nerve, leaving his thumb with no feeling for years.

This cat WAS nuetered. However, the vet says that the earlier brain injury probably damaged the agression center in his brain. As the cat matured and he became more territorial, his aggression was triggered but because of the damage, uncontroled, Thus the berzerk attack. We had him put down. Up untill that day, he had never shown a single bit of aggression - he was sweat and loving.

I know exactly the kind of attack you described, I've witnessed it first-hand when my cousin's cat attacked her. She was not petting another cat and she did not smell like another cat. She was being tickled by a friend, rolling around on the floor. This "cat" is nothing short of a terror. I use quotes because it's hardly a cat anymore. It's temperment is "ugly" now. You can't walk in the same room with the thing without it becoming satan-spawn and spitting and hissing at you and diving at your feet if you come too close. I don't know if this cat is male or female, it's just a horrible cat that the owners did not put down and the entire family detests it, distrusts it, and refuses to visit. Do yourself a favor and put the cat down. From what I've seen of my cousin's cat, it only gets worse. You just can't trust him now.

Many rescues and shelters will not accept truly aggressive animals or ones that have a bite history. it is too much of a liabilty for them that they cannot afford then either. They might help you to rehome a critter with someone who can deal with untrustworthy behavior but state laws DO make a difference. Our breed rescue cannot accept any that have a bite history and working in the field of veterinary medicine I see the laws frequently.

True on the breeder part but again aggression can play from many different factors here. Unfortunately the animal injured a human and humans are considered more important the animals in the eyes of the law.

Liability in this case is a real issue if you give this cat up to a shelter or farm. I don't know what state you live in but in Minnesota, for example, there are no "cat bite laws" only dog bite laws. But if a lawyer can prove negligence or that you were aware of the cat's propensity for being dangerous they will collect damages.

I would first look up your state law regarding cat bites or attacks if you want more info on this. I would also quarantine the cat for 10 days before you euthanize in the really off chance that he begins to show any neurologic signs. If he is not current on his rabies vax and has had access to wild animals or bats he could have contracted it. IMO, after that he should be euthanized. There is no guarantee that neutering will turn around any territorial or aggressive behavior in a cat.

I'm praying for your son that he heals completely physically and emotionally. :grouphug:

I've been attacked by animals and as an adult it is traumatic so I can only imagine as an 11yr. old what he is going through.

We have an indoor cat and have had him since he was a kitten. He's about 1yo now. Yesterday my son, he's 11 btw, came in from petting our outdoor cat on the porch and bent down to pet the indoor cat. He lunged onto my son's head. He had his front paws latched behind my son's ears and was using his hind legs to claw his face. It happened in mere seconds and my son was scratched unbelievably. I have never seen so much blood. There are scratches in his hair on his scalp, both ears (in and behind), all over the face, neck, arms, and hands, one just missed his eye by a hair. The worst ones were beside his nose, took one stitch, above the upper lip, took 3 stitches, and it sliced his upper lip in half, took 9 stitches. It took 8 shots in his little face to numb it for stitches in the various places. He has to take augmentin 3x/day for 10 days to prevent cat scratch fever. I didn't even know that was a real thing (just keep thinking of Ted Nugent).

I know a lot of you have dear family cats that you love, but please be cautious. I have heard of these types of things happening, but never thought it would happen here.

Please, if you pray, pray for his speedy recovery and little scarring on his little face.

Kim

What a horrible story - and on Mother's Day too! I'm so sorry for all the fear and continued sadness you all must be experiencing. I'll keep your little fellow in my thoughts. I hope you can sleep tonight. The adrenaline rush must have been huge! Goodness.

Liability in this case is a real issue if you give this cat up to a shelter or farm. I don't know what state you live in but in Minnesota, for example, there are no "cat bite laws" only dog bite laws. But if a lawyer can prove negligence or that you were aware of the cat's propensity for being dangerous they will collect damages.

I would first look up your state law regarding cat bites or attacks if you want more info on this. I would also quarantine the cat for 10 days before you euthanize in the really off chance that he begins to show any neurologic signs. If he is not current on his rabies vax and has had access to wild animals or bats he could have contracted it. IMO, after that he should be euthanized. There is no guarantee that neutering will turn around any territorial or aggressive behavior in a cat.

I'm praying for your son that he heals completely physically and emotionally. :grouphug:

I've been attacked by animals and as an adult it is traumatic so I can only imagine as an 11yr. old what he is going through.

:iagree:

I love kitties, but you can never trust this cat again. For whatever reason, the cat attacked. Soph is right...quarantine and then euthanasia would be the safest route. You can't risk another attack, and you cannot risk the trauma your son might endure from being around the cat again. In the future with another kitten, you'll know to neuter, etc. But for this cat, there's no guarantee neutering will prevent another attack.

I'm so sorry. Hugs to your son. I'll pray for him.

Ria

Neutering and spaying are imperative.

I agree with the above.

I would put the animal down at a shelter and let my son think that we simply took the animal to the shelter. Or, I would call several shelters and vets and ask for their opinions/ help. If they want to neuter the animal or put them down then that is their business. As the owner, I would be done with the animal. Then I could tell my son where the cat went with a clean conscience.

Lets look at euthanizing the animal realistically. There are too many cats. There are countless euthanizations performed on cats that have done nothing wrong at all. They were simply born. I don't see why anyone should carry guilt around about euthanizing an animal that attacked someone. People are more important.

(OH, I see Soph has replied. She is right, of course!)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have always had cats and I have never known one to be THAT aggressive. WOW. I am so sorry for your ds. :(

Was this cat vacinnated against rabies? Cats, especially those who go outside, are more likely to have or come in contact with rabies than any other domestic animal. I would make sure, first, that the cat is okay (10 day quarantine and if it is not sick, then okay).

After that 10 days, I would have the cat put to sleep. I have 2 indoor cats that I have had for the last 10 years. They are the sweetest, most gentle cats in the world and I can't imagine them EVER doing something like that. However, I do remember a kitten I had as a child that would wrap itself around your arm and kick and scratch that way when you played with her...but I can't imagine one doing what it did to your son. :( I am so sorry. Bless him!

If you end up euthanizing the cat, I would seriously consider not telling your ds about it, if you think he will feel guilty about it. He might start second-guessing himself and thinking he somehow provoked the attack, and now it's his fault that the cat had to be put down. It's probably best if he thinks the cat has a happy new life in a distant barn or with a nice person who lives alone and really wanted a cat.

I feel so sorry for him. What a frightening experience -- made even worse because it was his own cat.

I agree completely about the 10 day quarantine, and I would be sure to doublecheck the cat's vaccination history.

Cat

Thank you for all your replies. I haven't been able to check in much bc the augmentin is making ds sick and he's now been vomiting. We're in a vicious circle now of needing something on his stomach to take the medicine, but being too nauseated to eat anything bc of the medicine.

I have expected Animal Control all day, but they haven't shown up. I have to take ds to his dr in the morning, so I don't know at this point where the cat will end up.

I hate to think all of this could possibly have been avoided if we had only had the cat fixed. I didn't think it was crucial to be done so soon since he's barely 1 and stays inside. Not like he can't get a girlfriend in here. I didn't realize there were others reasons aside from the obvious.

Whatever happens, ds will be told the cat has moved to a huge farm and has the run of the barn. He loves animals and wants to be a vet or an "Aquariumologist" (from our visit to the GA Aquarium) when he grows up. He has such a tender heart towards animals and is so concerned about the cat, I just can't tell him the truth. He would blame himself, I know.

I thank you all so much for your prayers. Please continue that he can keep his medicine and food and water down, so he doesn't dehydrate or get an infection.

Blessings,

Kim

:grouphug::grouphug: to you and your son. I'll keep him in my prayers.

I haven't read the entire thread, so in case no one has mentioned this....

A dermatologist told me to put vaseline over scratches to prevent scarring. He said if the skin heals from the inside and is kept from scabbing over, there is less chance of a scar.

You could declaw him, front and back, and fix him.

He wouldn't be much of a danger then.

the behavior aspect is and can still be there and there will be no guarentee that the neutering will alter his mind at this point. Plus he still has teeth and those could do as much or more damage than the claws. My 1st prefessor in school had a abandoned clinic cat front and rear declawed. He attacked one of my classmates in our first semester while we were in surgery(somehow got into the surgical suite:confused:). He pierced her ear and gouged her right eye and she has permenant eye site damage from it. No claws, just teeth. This was a cat who never attacked anyone either. This was over 10 years ago and she still cannot see well. She was only 20 when that happened.

Again, it is just a not safe situation for the cat to stay in this particular home and she would not be able to find it a home elsehwere. if AC wants to try then they would be able to but normally what happens with an animal like this is someone in the field takes ownership of the pet. Which is why we own so many critters. Again, there ar emany critters out there that need a good home that do not viciously attack a human.

You could declaw him, front and back, and fix him.

He wouldn't be much of a danger then.

You'd also have to pull out his teeth.

Some declawed cats react more quickly to anything with their teeth because they feel more vulnerable since they lack claws. We had a cat like this when I was a kid.

I love cats, had them all my life. I, too, have never heard of an attack as vicious as that described in the OP. We had a mean cat once (a grouchy declawed bugger that bit for any minor annoyance--like he was tired of being petted).

Sadly, I think this cat should probably be euthanized (after a quarantine, of course). Neutered or not, he viciously attacked a person. If he was my cat I don't think I could trust him again. You could try having him neutered and see if any area farms are in need of a cat (though, being an indoor cat he may not be a very good mouser).

Do you think your son would be able to look at this objectively, like the future vet he wants to be? I hesitate to lie, even white lies, to kids. They often notice and figure out far more than we give them credit for.

I wonder if reading the children's story The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward would be of any help in this difficult situation. The protagonist also had to make this kind of difficult, last resort decision about an animal he loved (and he almost followed through on the decision himself but the bear was saved by a lucky chance). The most important difference between this story and your situation is that the bear did not ever harm a person, he only damaged crops and got into food stores yet was still going to be put down--what the cat did was far more serious. Perhaps this story could help your son come to terms with the decision to put the cat down if that is what you ultimately decide.

http://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Bear-Lynd-Ward/dp/0395148065

Best wishes to you at this difficult time!

And, what a blessing your son's eyes are okay! He and your family are in our thoughts.

That is horrible. I am glad your son will be alright for the most part. I think I worry more about his feelings than the scars. Poor guy. :( My DD got a systemic fungal infection from a cat scratch when she was 4. Ended up in Pedi-ICU for 4 days. We didn't know if she would make it. So yes, cat scratches can be serious.