Menu

Are You Ever Surprised at What People Don't Know?

I made a joke last night in my Bible Study that my kids get Martin Luther mixed up with Martin Luther King, Jr. all the time. No one in my group knew who Martin Luther was! These are smart, educated women. I always thought Martin Luther was one of most recognized names from the reformation period and basically a household name for Protestants. It really threw me for a loop.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree:

although the 30 yr old man who didn't know what a colon was......well, I thought EVERYONE knew that! (and he's a 5th grade teacher at a local ps:tongue_smilie:)

Well, when I told my exdh that my brother-in-law was having trouble with his liver, he asked, "Aw man. Which one?". :001_huh:

My son brought home a picture of an octopus and I asked my son to tell me about it. My exdh took it from me and said, "Isn't it obvious? It's an octopus. Look at his testicles." :001_huh::001_huh:

I am really not making this up... I lived 8 years surrounded by his wisdom. I felt like a frickin' genius.

Well, when I told my exdh that my brother-in-law was having trouble with his liver, he asked, "Aw man. Which one?". :001_huh:

My son brought home a picture of an octopus and I asked my son to tell me about it. My exdh took it from me and said, "Isn't it obvious? It's an octopus. Look at his testicles." :001_huh::001_huh:

I am really not making this up... I lived 8 years surrounded by his wisdom. I felt like a frickin' genius.

Oh.my. :001_huh: I have to say that's some of the funniest stuff I've heard. The kids are wondering why I'm over here laughing like a loon:lol:

:lol: My side is hurting. Must...take...a...deep...breath...

I go through periods where I can't believe that I'm so much smarter than everyone I encounter. The level of ingnorance I encounter from people who really should know better (based on chosen profession or other trait) is really amazing at times.

:confused::confused: Hmmm...

I, like many others here, am constantly reminded about how much I don't know. But I'm thrilled to have the capacity to learn new things all of the time!!

:lol::lol::lol: ROFL

I am a native of South Florida and went to public school my entire life. There is ALOT I don't know. That's one of the things I love most about homeschooling. I'm giving myself the education I never had at the same time I'm educating my daughter. Homeschooling rules! :)

I wasn't trying to say I really am smarter or better than others, but it is truly appalling to listen to a public school history/geography teacher tell a kids during a church youth group activity that the main religion of Pakistan is Hinduism. Not everyone knows that Hindus represent a minority group (one that is treated badly), but said history teacher presented himself as an authority and gave flat out wrong information. At the alternative school I work part time the social studies teacher is completely uninformed regarding US policy toward Cuban defectors. She leads current events discussions. I don't think a teacher should lead a current events discussion saying that surely our government will deport Cuban defectors --because they are illegal aliens. I don't like correcting other adults, but teachers have a responsibility to accurate in the information they give.

It's one thing to recognize all you need to learn and quite another to be in a position where you act as an authority on a subject and be completely wrong about it.

A friend told me she knew she had a boy goat because "he has tentacles." Of course my friend is a cute little five year old girl.:lol:

People who quote Shakespeare thinking they are quoting the bible.... it kills me!

Great story about this:

When I was a teenager, my parents often accused me of thinking I was better than others because I was smart. In high school English, we had just studied King Lear. I don't remember why my dad was lecturing me, but as part of it he said, "It's just like the Bible says: 'How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.'" Then he repeated for effect: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth."

I knew what was good for me, so I was quiet. I still haven't told him that it's not part of the Bible.

But really, some things seem to be so well known that it's really surprising when people are ignorant. Like my girlfriend who wants to go to Italy in a few years. I commented that if we went there my girls would love to see Pompeii. She had no idea what Pompeii was.:001_huh: I mean there's things on tv about Pompeii. You don't even need to read a book.

What shocks me is how little I actually knew about history, and I taught it for 4 year and am certified to do so.

I think the problem is I was teaching the same dumb history (7th and 8th grade American history) that I was taught in ps. I just didn't know any better. Now I feel like I did those kids a disservice.

Jennie

I am surprised at what I don't know. As a college graduate, it's shocking how much I've learned since becoming a homeschooler. :glare:

Learned OR remembered.... I was shocked to find that I didn't know how to write out all the steps in long division. I don't think I've done that since grade 8! It's been a looooooooong time.

That's my excuse anyway.:blushing:

:lol::lol::lol:

Usually, I'm not too shocked. However, this encounter DID really surprise me. My EXBIL has a bachelors and an MBA. His wife has a Ph.D. They truly thought she would not be able to nurse a baby because she has small breasts. BIL said, "They can't hold enough milk! The baby would starve!" He was dead serious. I bought them a book from the Mayo Clinic about pregnancy and childbirth.

Years ago, I had a roommate who truly believed the way to address Hitler was to say, "Hi ho Hitler!" as if he were one of the seven dwarfs.

OH, and this one made me laugh out loud. A friend made the comment, "The only information you can trust these days is the media! They have to tell the truth or they get into trouble!"

I know I've said some real zingers; I just can't remember what they are! :tongue_smilie:

I'm always surprised by people (and myself), but I can "get" a lack of knowledge. What I can't wrap my mind around is the fact that there are so many things people don't WANT to know about. Like their bodies or their government or their food. How in the world did people get to the point that they can't be bothered to think about these things?!?!

oooh....oooh....I have one!

A few years ago at a family gathering my SIL said; "I would never be an organ donor because I wouldn't want anyone to use my uterus & ovaries after I am dead!"

and before I recovered from that one my MIL said, "I'd better change that; I don't want anyone to use mine either."

After I got over the giggles, I told her she didn't have anything to worry about because not only was she was over 60, but she had a total hysterectomy in her late 30's.

I seemed to be the only person who thought this was funny.

It still makes me laugh

Amber in SJ

oooh....oooh....I have one!

A few years ago at a family gathering my SIL said; "I would never be an organ donor because I wouldn't want anyone to use my uterus & ovaries after I am dead!"

and before I recovered from that one my MIL said, "I'd better change that; I don't want anyone to use mine either."

After I got over the giggles, I told her she didn't have anything to worry about because not only was she was over 60, but she had a total hysterectomy in her late 30's.

I seemed to be the only person who thought this was funny.

It still makes me laugh

Amber in SJ

See, that IS funny, but I also find it very scary that someone who has had a hysterectomy would not realize what that meant! Unless it was a brain fart, which I've been known to have, lol.

Guest janainaz

I wouldn't have had a clue if I hadn't been homeschooling! I am grateful to have the opportunity to re-educate myself. Not sure what was going on at school, but it wasn't learning.

Usually, I'm not too shocked. However, this encounter DID really surprise me. My EXBIL has a bachelors and an MBA. His wife has a Ph.D. They truly thought she would not be able to nurse a baby because she has small breasts. BIL said, "They can't hold enough milk! The baby would starve!" He was dead serious. I bought them a book from the Mayo Clinic about pregnancy and childbirth.

A book on manners might also help. Goodness.

I am amazed by total confusion over time periods and places.

I made the "tentacle" mistake once when talking about eating octopus. Sigh. Thank God no one has ever mentioned it again. (Luckily I was about 7 at the time.)

My 11 year old's 5th grader teacher drives me insane.

A week or so ago, he told the kids that 4squared could be represented by 4x2.

He also is trying to show the kids algrebra (which is not part of the program) to give them an intro, and is showing them things wrong.

He told the class a few weeks ago that the US' form of government was designed so that it was IMPOSSIBLE (yes he used that word) for corruption to take place.

My daughter told him we were going to the Tea Party in Dallas and he had NO idea what she was talking about.

I made a joke last night in my Bible Study that my kids get Martin Luther mixed up with Martin Luther King, Jr. all the time. No one in my group knew who Martin Luther was! These are smart, educated women. I always thought Martin Luther was one of most recognized names from the reformation period and basically a household name for Protestants. It really threw me for a loop.

Aunt Pol, you are right. I join you in being appalled that educated Christian protestant women in a Bible study don't know who Martin Luther is. Honestly, I am appalled. (Does your pastor not mention him? Ours does with regularity!)

There is ALOT I don't know.
This really cracked me up! Were you trying for irony or did it just happen? "Alot" is one of the most common grammatical/spelling errors made in the English language. It's supposed to be "a lot" in the context you were using it. Otherwise, you could "allot" each child their allowance. But there is no "alot". :D I love your humility, though. Good trait.

You guys are killing me! These are so funny! I am amazed at what other people don't know and what I don't know; that's why I try not to talk too much!

Here's mine: We went to a museum in St. Louis yesterday and the tour guide was talking about a famous man's wives. The plaque on the wall said, "Mary Jones nee Smith", so I explained to my kids that "nee" referred to the woman's maiden name. The tour guide got a very surprised look on her face and said something like, "Well, I'll be! I've worked here for 8 years and never knew what that meant! That's why I like this job--I learn something new almost every day!"

I don't care if someone doesn't know what that means, unless you're the tour guide who talks about info on that plaque every day!!

Chelle

That's okay, my ex-dh told me once that he was moving to New England. I asked him which state up there and he replied, "DUH...NEW ENGLAND." Ah yes, the district manager of a fortune 100 company - a college grad with an MBA...apparently he did not study any GEOGRAPHY in those years. Heck, just learning the 50 united states would have been a bonus for this poor man.

I am the first to admit that I have much to learn. Thank goodness, or the rest of my life would be pointless! LOL

However, I am often shocked at things that I really think people should know. Or at least not by surpised by.....

We were at a Mardi Gras parade a few months ago. It was the Krewe of Centaur parade and the lead float had a very large centaur on the front. A girl, around eighteen or so, said "Oh, look! It's half man, half horse!" I thought she was kidding, so I turned around and looked at her. She was seriously surprised. I smiled at her and said (very nicely) "That's a centaur. It's supposed to be half man, half horse." She was was genuinely surprised and thanked me for telling her. :)

Go figure!

Jeannie

You haven't heard of the new "uterus transplants?" They totally save lives! :lol:

As a Child Passenger Safety Technician, I run into this CONSTANTLY. Often the parents who are the very worst are those with the most "education." Doctors and engineers especially.:001_huh:

A quote I love says "90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at."

I freely admit to not being the "best" or the "brightest" - but gee whiz, when the manual for the device that will be responsible for saving your child's life in a car crash says "don't do it", it's probably a good idea to pay attention!:glare:

Reading the stories -- reminded me of this one time in Sunday School I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

We were having a discussion, and one of the other couples was trying to emphasize how bad lying is by explaining how Priscilla and Aquilla were struck dead for lying about giving the profits of their land sale to the church.

I didn't say anything until the teacher nodded in agreement and said, "yes, that's right..." :001_huh:

At which point I couldn't remain quiet any longer, and had to set the record straight. I said, I'm sorry, but I think you mean "Annanias and Saphira, as Priscilla and Aquilla were tentmakers who spent a lot of time with Paul."

You'd think I had just called for a Bible drill, because the number of Bibles with pages flipping to the concordance to find the story in Acts (and, I'm guessing, prove me wrong) was astounding.