Menu

Does the Hive watch Jon & Kate Plus 8?

I watch and I recently saw the family on Oprah. They mentioned the whole reason they did the first special was because they literally had people trying to peek in the windows wanting to see what they did and how they handled things.

I don't think they are exploiting the kids. They seem like a very nice, normal loving family.

I watched it twice. I had to quit. The mom drove me nuts too. So selfish, whiny and treats her dh like a dog from my viewpoint. I feel so sorry for the kids and dh. It really made me sick as to how she treated everybody. Of course she makes excuses but....HELLO those kids will remember her for the way she is. So sad!:(

Holly

Same here. We tried to watch it once and didn't get past the first 5 minutes of the show. DH and I both were astonished at how she talked to him. MY dh said if I ever talked to him that way there would be BIG trouble...I said well, that's just ONE of the many reasons we don't have *8* kids :D

I feel badly for those kids. One of the older twins is really whiny and grumpy, and I can't help but think it's partly because that's what's modeled. I've heard the little girl make statements that really seem like they came right out of the mother's mouth.

Maybe the're really different off-camera, but from what I've seen, there's a really negative vibe going on there.

I enjoy the show. I think they have a quirky relationship and she wears the pants as far as the kids are concerned however I am reminded of my own grandparents and their "bickery" realtionship. (is that a word?bickery) She has a high octane life with those young children but manages to keep things in check. I think the sweetest moments are when they are talking about their day, you really can see the love they have for each other. Jon has such a sarcastic and dry sense of humor, I love him. Real people with a crazy life doing the best they can. I DIG IT!

I like the show, don't think they are "exploited", and I think it's funny how the couple get along with each other.

Sometimes she bugs me, but I always laugh- she's just a control freak. I think it's great that she can so freely express herself too. What really tickles me is when she tells him what to say on camera- "You don't say that!" or "I don't think you're supposed to say that on camera." or something similar. I don't know, but I bet she picks out his clothes, LOL. I think they are a cute couple though, and I'm SURE people would find MANY MANY things to complain about me and my DC if we were on a TV show. ;)

I watch the show weekly. I admit in the beginning I thought she was a little harsh on Jon. But, I think if you watch the whole situation, remember there is tons of editing and then as another poster said watch their interviews about the day you see they truly love each other. I do not think they are exploiting their children. They seem well adjusted and happy. They are a good solid family and I will watch the show as long as it is on.

JMHO,

Alison

I also like this show. I find the mom very real. I think the way she treats her dh is just because she's in a large family and she's a control freak and just wants to get her point across quickly and loudly! LOL Yes, she could say it nicer, but they joke about it later on. He gives it right back to her too. They had a show about how they communicate - it was funny!

I'd hate to see myself on tv and see how I really act!

..."Why would I want to relax and recuperate from caring for my five kids, in the evening, by watching someone with 8 kids, and a house that's even crazier than mine?!"

:o)

I find it fascinating, but not regularly. (I'm kind of a voyeur, though; I love those books that have homeschooling days in the life, etc...I just like peeking through the windows of others, I guess. Not literally, of course...;o)

:o Dh doesn't like her. He grimaces and calls her a fussy b$%^h. The first season, she was really awful but it seems like she is trying to tone it down.

What I get from the show is that the wife is all consumed by the kids and that there isn't anything else about her. I get why but it reminds me of how not to be and not to have six kids at once.

I've not seen the show (no tv here) but I've seen clips with interviews with them online and clips of the show. Boy, I really think the mother is rather annoying. From the clips, she seems like a very domineering, take center stage type. I just found her personality not to my liking at all. I don't think I could watch the show in full because of it.

I watched it once. They had gone Christmas shopping ( with all the kids!?!?!) and she was YELLING at him in the store. Me and Dh just sat there with our mouths open LOL. One time was enough for us.

That's the one I saw too. I felt bad for him, but then there was the part of me that is reminded of my own DH, goofing off and dawdling with the kids and chatting on the phone while I'm trying to pack us ALL up into the car to get ready to go to HIS mother's house...and I feel for her too!

I also like this show. I find the mom very real. I think the way she treats her dh is just because she's in a large family and she's a control freak and just wants to get her point across quickly and loudly! LOL Yes, she could say it nicer, but they joke about it later on. He gives it right back to her too. They had a show about how they communicate - it was funny!

I'd hate to see myself on tv and see how I really act!

Ditto.

..."Why would I want to relax and recuperate from caring for my five kids, in the evening, by watching someone with 8 kids, and a house that's even crazier than mine?!"

But THIS is the real reason I don't watch the show. I find that it stresses me out because most days our life is pretty hectic. I just can't handle someone else's family stress, LOL!

I watch it and enjoy it. Kate can be caustic at times...but I probably would be, too, if I were trying to deal with the pressures she's under every day. I can't even imagine--even after watching the show--what it must really be like to deal with 8 kids, 6 of whom are the same very young age, day in and day out. You'd have to be super organized and anal to get anything done. (Like take a shower yourself.)

I recently saw a "behind the scenes" show, which was very interesting. I think the kids benefit from having all those extra people around!

I do not think they are exploiting the kids one bit, but I also can NOT stand her. She's whiny, MEAN, witchy, a brat, just plain rude to John and downright ornery to those kids.

I mean, I'm not saying it is easy raising 8 kids--I am quite certain it is not. I am quite certain their house is hectic and tiring and I don't judge them based on that.

But I feel sorry for HIM because of the way she treats him--the way she talks to him, the way she just assumes he will give her anything she wishes right when she says she wants it.

Like I was watching the remodling of the kids rooms episode, the one where they got all new bunkbeds and such. He was upstairs doing ALL of the work with one friend (because it was all she allowed him to have help) and she had the nerve to *w*itch him out for NOT watching the kids, so she could cook dinner.

Excuse me? He's remodling your house you *w*itch... he's got power tools and other dangerous equipment around him and you expect him to not only finish the room on YOUR time frame but also watch the kids while doing so ---just so you can cook dinner?

No--I do not like her one bit.

I don't know, but I bet she picks out his clothes, LOL.

Actually on one of the episodes he was helping her to buy clothes. She said he has better style than she does and she would much rather stick to brown, black and grey. She said she always shops with him because he knows what looks good on her.

I love the show! My husband and I have a relationship that can be bickery at times and it's how we communicate, especially when I am trying to control situations. I see love from them and he does tell her often when she has gone too far and she apologizes.

As A HOM (higher order multiples) parent, I'm familiar with the show. I remember when Jon came to a triplets+ board professing to be a twin dad, expecting sextuplets. Many people thought he was joking. That was a long time ago!

I loathe the show, though. Thrilled that they're now able to afford a better lifestyle, but can't stomach Kate and her controlling mannerisms. She grates my nerves and runs her home like a military camp. I'm much more laid back and find the show to be stressful.

It's rumored that they make approx $12K/episode. A quad friend had a DH program on her birth and was paid. It's common to make money for their sacrifices (would you want a camera crew watching your every move a few days a month to be aired on TV? ugh).

we call it the "train wreck" :rolleyes:

They had a show last week where they told how the crew was there about every day...and showed how professional lights for tv filmming had been installed throughout the house! OK - I can not help but think of the Dionne quints. The big difference here is the parents and older sibs are on display, too. That said - can't help watching it!

Kate, in my opinion, is an OCD control-freak who does make life harder than it needs to be for herself.

Like I was watching the remodling of the kids rooms episode, the one where they got all new bunkbeds and such. He was upstairs doing ALL of the work with one friend (because it was all she allowed him to have help) and she had the nerve to *w*itch him out for NOT watching the kids, so she could cook dinner.

Excuse me? He's remodling your house you *w*itch... he's got power tools and other dangerous equipment around him and you expect him to not only finish the room on YOUR time frame but also watch the kids while doing so ---just so you can cook dinner?

Actually, she wanted to keep them on their nap schedule and he wanted to keep working through the nap and just let them stay awake so he could get it done. I understand both sides. Because my DH and I are just like Jon and Kate.

We laugh about it because we are just like that.

I like the show and like seeing a real mom not an icky, syrupy sweet, robotic family :)

I like the show and like seeing a real mom not an icky, syrupy sweet, robotic family

I understand and even agree. I would prefer that to something like the Duggars any day. BUT she's just mean.. I understand editing and all that, but c'mon, she can be a real witch to him...and even as grubbery as I am, I'm not that bad, so it gets me. ;)

I do not think they are exploiting the kids one bit, but I also can NOT stand her. She's whiny, MEAN, witchy, a brat, just plain rude to John and downright ornery to those kids.

I mean, I'm not saying it is easy raising 8 kids--I am quite certain it is not. I am quite certain their house is hectic and tiring and I don't judge them based on that.

But I feel sorry for HIM because of the way she treats him--the way she talks to him, the way she just assumes he will give her anything she wishes right when she says she wants it.

No--I do not like her one bit.

I had to stop watching because I couldn't stand listening to the mom anymore. I was actually yelling at the TV. Not worth it.

...confrontational at all, just an out-loud muse, if you will (wink), but...isn't it possible that both the Duggar mom (that GothicGyrl references) *and* Kate are *both* 'real' moms?

I hear folks say that a lot, "Well, at least she's *real*...", and I can't help but feel badly for those 'syrupy' sweet gals, that might not be pretending, at all.

Some people might actually be like that.

(Not me, in case anyone thinks this is personal, lol. I'd *like* to be a little more syrupy...but it's not the case. I just know that there are friends of mine that are sweeties, and keep their cool, and those that blow and have the occasional meltdown. Both are showcasing their 'reality'.)

Again...*not* arguing with anyone, just questioning the use of the word 'real' as a synonym for 'snarky'. (And I'm just quoting others who have used the word in description of Kate; I haven't watched it enough to remember her attitude, I guess. Either that, or it just looked normal to me and I didn't notice, lol. ;o)

I don't see "real" as a synonym for "snarky" I see it as letting us see the good, the bad, and the ugly;)

Exactly. Sure, Michelle Duggar IS real.. there is no doubt about that and she's as real as we see as well. But "Real" to me is as Crunchy says--the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

And even though Michelle Duggar is real, she isn't REAL--they don't let the bad and ugly show through. I don't doubt that Duggar is sugary sweet and that's just how she is. But she's too sweet and it does come across as fake (even if she isn't faking)..

Just once I'd like to see ONE of the Duggars have a normal, run of the mill, meltdown. Not even the baby has one and that's just hard for me to fathom.

It has nothing to do with snark at all.

ITA! :)

Exactly. Sure, Michelle Duggar IS real.. there is no doubt about that and she's as real as we see as well. But "Real" to me is as Crunchy says--the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

And even though Michelle Duggar is real, she isn't REAL--they don't let the bad and ugly show through. I don't doubt that Duggar is sugary sweet and that's just how she is. But she's too sweet and it does come across as fake (even if she isn't faking)..

Just once I'd like to see ONE of the Duggars have a normal, run of the mill, meltdown. Not even the baby has one and that's just hard for me to fathom.

It has nothing to do with snark at all.

I got the impression that they are doing the show for the money. On Oprah they said at the time they filmed the first special, Jon was unemployed. When the series first started filming, Kate was working every Saturday as a nurse, but has since quit.

I think the show is fascinating in that her house is cleaner and more organized than mine, and I only have two kids. But I am appalled by the way Kate speaks to Jon.

...some folks just probably have more 'bad and ugly' than others, lol.

I've seen a Duggar show where a preschooler threw a fit...but he got over it pretty quickly, and life went on. Don't get me wrong, the Duggars lifestyle is absolutely not my cuppa, and my older kids have snickered about what a reality show about *our* home would look like (we had a lot of fun when they showed the dad just saying something like, "Well, gosh!" when the van broke down shortly into a road trip...*our* dad would have responded much differently, lol).

But...there's always the possibility that they really do have a calmer, sweeter household than I do. ::Shrug:: Doesn't make their reality any less real, just means mine is different.

The only reason I say this is because I know it's true in real life, so it's distinctly possible that it follows that reality shows would be similar. Some folks just might be sweeter than others.

...true confessions, I'll admit that I like shows better where the folks exhibit more 'good, bad, and ugly' behavior, but it's not because I think it's more 'real'; it's because it makes *me* feel a little less alone, in *my* 'good, bad, and ugly' behavior, lol.

But I also like to see someone living a style that's different, occasionally. Maybe to be challenged, or maybe just to compare.

(I like the 'good, bad, and ugly' shows in greater doses, though. :o)

...true confessions, I'll admit that I like shows better where the folks exhibit more 'good, bad, and ugly' behavior, but it's not because I think it's more 'real'; it's because it makes *me* feel a little less alone, in *my* 'good, bad, and ugly' behavior, lol.

But I also like to see someone living a style that's different, occasionally. Maybe to be challenged, or maybe just to compare.

(I like the 'good, bad, and ugly' shows in greater doses, though. :o)

I'm with you, Jill. I'd never seen Jon & Kate until the past week or so when we've all be miserably sick. I LOVE to watch tv until all hours when I'm sick. She's mean, for sure. But they seem like they work it out in the end. I've watched the Duggar's too. I couldn't even play-act to be that gentle and kind and I'm fairly certain my kids couldn't do it either. I guess I take comfort in the fact that we're somewhere in the middle of these two families.

Honestly, though, I cannot imagine having a film crew in my house for a few hours much less day after day. I guess I would if it paid the bills, though. Maybe. I dunno.

There are times when I think she's a bit overboard (VERY OCD), and certainly I think the kids are extremely demanding (yes, the one whiny twin is aggravating, and the little ones are just so LOUD!!!) I love that they have the relationship they have and don't pretend to be something they aren't just because they are being filmed. I'm sure there are times when she watches film that she cringes at how she sounds, but hey, I'd probably be like that too (and am many days)!! I just like seeing how large families do things - it's fun to me. My kids aren't little anymore either so I guess watching it for me is a different situation than those who listen to little ones all day.

As far as comparing Michelle Duggar, I think the difference with the Duggars is that we only see what they WANT us to see, truly. I mean the cameras aren't literally following them every step of the day. They can pick and choose the good, bad and ugly and I think they leave out any bad and ugly. Jon and Kate just lay it all out there for us to love or leave!

If you really want to know who I love to watch shows about, it's the original Dilley sextuplets. THAT is a set of parents I have the UTMOST respect for. They have raised their 6 BY THEMSELVES since the day they came home. The mother is organized and truly seems to love and enjoy her children. There is reasonable discipline going on, and the parents are just very in touch with the kids' lives. I remember them talking about not having help at all with the babies/toddlers and saying that they knew they would have to be held accountable for the influences their children had, so they wanted to be the only influences (not exact wording, but it was quite impressive anyway).

I am always frustrated by the fact that people have multiples and so many people come in and out of their lives helping to feed, diaper, and care for them. I know it's a tough job, but I just can't see handing over the care of ANY of my little ones to others (and I have a friend with quads who was the same way and they have done a GREAT job with theirs). I just have a TON of respect for the Dilleys because of the job they seem to have done with their children. I hope they have another "update" soon.

Stacey - I agree with you about the Dilley's. They are awesome. I remember I had a friend who had kids my ages (a 2 year old and a set of new twins) when the Dilley's first came into the news. She and I were on the phone the night 20/20 or some such show showed the dad just dumping the snacks onto the carpet for the babies and the two of us cheered. It was so REAL.

I will say having a 14-month old and newborn twins was an EXTREME challenge for us - physically, financially and mentally. We did it, but it was a rough, rough, rough year. I cannot imagine coping with more than that on a day-to-day basis without some form of regular help for at least a year - and the Dilley's had that.

The one thing about the duggars, I don't know could be good or bad. I don't see her interacting much with the kids. She goes into the kitchen and the older girls are working, getting their "buddy's" dinner, sitting them down, getting them dressed. Now I understand why their home is run on the buddy system but I may have missed something because I don't remember seeing her interact or take care of the children except for babies. She appears to have the role of headmaster or something like that.

I watch the show weekly. I admit in the beginning I thought she was a little harsh on Jon. But, I think if you watch the whole situation, remember there is tons of editing and then as another poster said watch their interviews about the day you see they truly love each other. I do not think they are exploiting their children. They seem well adjusted and happy. They are a good solid family and I will watch the show as long as it is on.

JMHO,

Alison

I totally agree with this. I first started watching awhile back. In the beginning, I HATED how she talked to her dh. I just couldn't believe it. Over time, I came to realize that is "their relationship" and they do seem fine with it. The other thing I realized is that I have JUST ONE three year old. He makes me nuts on the best of days. I cannot imagine or even fathom having 6 of them. Seriously, I have no idea how she does it. I would be a crabby, whining wreck too. Heck, now that I think of it, sometimes I am a crabby, whining wreck with just my kids! LOL! I think she seems to deal with what God has given her the best way she knows how. If she were relaxed, her house was a mess, her kids ate all processed foods, her dh ordered HER around - people would be criticizing her for that. She really can never win everyone's approval. Nobody can. As far as exploiting the children, I think they seem to have a good balance. I have no idea what I would do in her situation, so I can't really judge what she does.

I figure Kate is trying her best, just like I am. She's quick to admit where she falls short, nurtures the kids with good food and large doses of understanding and kindness, and I'll bet she's a kickass nurse. I'm just glad nobody is watching me like that.

I think this is a fair assesment of her. Jon and Kate is a favorite in our home - in fact, I see alot of myself in her (and Jon in my husband). They are so young with so much responsiblity - honestly, who am I to judge how much money they are earning per show...they need it!

My dd and I love to watch Jon and Kate, as well as the Duggars. I always feel really bad for J and K, because it seems that there is not much extended family involvement in their lives. Even in the Christmas and Birthday shows, there are no Grandparents. So, I get the feeling that they don't have family support, but a lot of friends who do help out. I really think that Kate feels that she needs to "prove" herself in some way - we can take 8 children to Disney World, we can Christmas shop with all of our children in tow, we can shop for furniture with all 8 kids...etc.

All in all, I do respect her, although I wish she were nicer to Jon. :D

The one thing about the duggars, I don't know could be good or bad. I don't see her interacting much with the kids. She goes into the kitchen and the older girls are working, getting their "buddy's" dinner, sitting them down, getting them dressed. Now I understand why their home is run on the buddy system but I may have missed something because I don't remember seeing her interact or take care of the children except for babies. She appears to have the role of headmaster or something like that.

This is the one thing that bugs me. Right here. Let me add the clarifier/qualifier/addendum that I KNOW these shows are heavily edited and I KNOW full well that this is their lifestyles/beliefs and NOT mine. I KNOW THIS.

But she just seems disconnected somehow. I understand 17 kids is hard (heck, as we've said, even our own two are hard) but she just does not seem "part of" the family--like a headmistress almost, as Lynn said.

I'm going to be flat out honest with you and just state that I don't like the fact that they have 17 kids. HOWEVER, they do have all they have with zero welfare, everything is paid for and no debt--so I cannot say anything bad about them other than "I don't like the 17 kids part". Believe me, I have defended them on many different messages boards more than I have chastised them. I just think 17 is too much for any one women to birthe.

BUT...that said--the whole reason I brought her up was just show the difference in her attitude and Kate's. Michelle Duggar is really real, but she's just not REAL. That one episode of the kid melting down and then getting over it quickly--I saw that. And it is isn't "normal" (at least not to me). Even *I* don't get over a meltdown that quickly.

The buddy system in their house works, which is a good thing. But I can't help but feel sorry for the girls for being what does truly come across as "primary caretakers" of the kids and I can't help but feel some pity towards Michelle because all it seems like she does is smile sweetly and birth babies.

This is just me. It doesn't mean I don't like big families, it doesn't mean I don't like (g)you who might have a big family--it just means because they put themselves out in front for others to see, it makes me feel squicky. I'm glad they started airing that show about larger families and started showing families other than the Duggars because we were kind of getting saturated with them and at least those other families appear "real".

kwim?

I'll be the voice of decent. I love that show. I think they are a real family, and I totally get them. I don't think they're exploiting their kids and I don't think she's awful.

I like the show too. They seem like real people with flaws. I don't think that they act fake for the camera.

I am so glad to hear someone else say this. As a mom who expects a lot of help from the oldest I have at home, I still think the Duggars are just over the top. My 17 year old is extremely helpful and often helps with meals and siblings and housecleaning, but that girl deserves to be a normal teen too. I work hard to protect her from being "junior mommy" and make sure she has her own life and interests.

Even though I secretely want to forbid her to have her own life and instead live with me forever as my personal asst. ;)

It just seems like those Duggar kids have no life of their own. Everybody ought to have the chance to be their own person.

(And surely we can be modest and dress according to our convictions and still be somewhat stylish, but I digress)

I enjoy the show. I think they have a quirky relationship and she wears the pants as far as the kids are concerned however I am reminded of my own grandparents and their "bickery" realtionship. (is that a word?bickery) She has a high octane life with those young children but manages to keep things in check. I think the sweetest moments are when they are talking about their day, you really can see the love they have for each other. Jon has such a sarcastic and dry sense of humor, I love him. Real people with a crazy life doing the best they can. I DIG IT!

I agree with this. I have to admit....one of my best friends is almost *exactly* like the mom on the show. It's hilarious how similar they are. They are just high maintenance women. You'd have to know my friend and her equally sarcastic husband to see why it worksthe way it does.

I agree with lynn about the Duggars.

I also agree with Jenstet about that Kids by the Dozen show. I love that show, it's really interesting seeing how *different* all of the families really are.

Though I have NO issue with large families, I really think it is unfair to have a family that large and have everyone else doing all the work. It's nice to train our kids up with responsibility, but really, are they the ones making the choice to reproduce here?

The saddest part to me is the one, poor girl who has to do all the laundry!! That is NOT a single person job.

I can't help but wonder how many of them will go on to have large families of their own.

There are certainly lots of pros to having a house full of kids (lots of love, lots of activity, never a dull moment, lots of hugs, kisses, cuddling, etc. and a wonderful legacy are just some I can think of), but I really hate to see the moms just basically being baby machines and not interacting with their children on any type of normal level.

Do we possibly think she is breastfeeding those kids for any length of time? She has them awfully close together to be doing any exclusive breastfeeding. No really my business, but I was just pondering that...