Menu

Does the Hive watch Jon & Kate Plus 8?

Do we possibly think she is breastfeeding those kids for any length of time? She has them awfully close together to be doing any exclusive breastfeeding. No really my business, but I was just pondering that...

I'm pretty sure she has stated that she weans the babies at 6 months to a bottle so she can get pregnant again. Which...doesn't seem like following God's plan to *me*.

I'm not condemning those who choose to bottle-feed (though I will ALWAYS be a bf proponent, and certainly feel it is what God intended), but I think someone who is claiming to allow the Lord to give them as many babies as He chooses, but, at the same time intentionally not doing what God intended in caring for the ones she has, doesn't seem very right to me.

I love early toddlerhood so much that I wouldn't want mine to be that close if I could help it. I remember when I got pg with #3 and #2 was only 11 months old. I cried and cried. I wasn't ready for #2 to NOT be the baby...

I'm pretty sure she has stated that she weans the babies at 6 months to a bottle so she can get pregnant again. Which...doesn't seem like following God's plan to *me*.

No way!! Seriously? No way!! That is crazy. She said that?

Gosh, nursing is the fun part! Pregnancy is the not fun part. I stretched nursing out as long as I had a willing nursling!!

I love early toddlerhood so much that I wouldn't want mine to be that close if I could help it. I remember when I got pg with #3 and #2 was only 11 months old. I cried and cried. I wasn't ready for #2 to NOT be the baby...

My last two are 22 months apart and I had the same reaction when I found out I was expecting.

And my doctor was not thrilled that I refused to wean the current baby while carrying the coming baby. I weaned her about midway through the pregnancy.

My last two are 22 months apart and I had the same reaction when I found out I was expecting.

And my doctor was not thrilled that I refused to wean the current baby while carrying the coming baby. I weaned her about midway through the pregnancy.

I was nursing the elder when I got pregnant with both of my younger two. I was so concerned about weaning the third since the older two basically weaned when my body switched back to producing colostrum. However, one night when he was getting ready to nurse he said "yuck" and never looked back. LOL

It was pretty much the same with mine as I had a serious drop in production around the 4th-5th months of pg. So, sadly dd#2 weaned around 15 months. It didn't seem to bother her much, but it did me!

DD#3 was right at 2 years old when my milk supply really dropped during my 4th pg. She weaned and started sucking her thumb (she had never sucked it or a pacifier or anything before that).

I hoped to nurse baby 4 for a while since I knew he'd be the last. He weaned himself around 16-17 months. I didn't really see it coming, but I sure missed it when it was gone...

I think that's the one thing I REALLY miss about having babies. Oh I'd love to experience the whole homebirth thing again cuz it was so awesome, but it's the nursing that was really special. I wanted to adopt and relactate so badly, but, alas, it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

I agree that Kate isn't the sweetest with her words sometimes, but you can tell she loves Jon...I personally REALLY like the show. She is totally hands on. To me, she is a normal Mom with flaws like we all have.

I have gotten many meal tips, etc...from her and I only have two. :)

The one thing about the duggars, I don't know could be good or bad. I don't see her interacting much with the kids. She goes into the kitchen and the older girls are working, getting their "buddy's" dinner, sitting them down, getting them dressed. Now I understand why their home is run on the buddy system but I may have missed something because I don't remember seeing her interact or take care of the children except for babies. She appears to have the role of headmaster or something like that.

Unlike some of the other specials mentioned, I understand that Discovery only films a few days with the Duggars. It really isn't filmed as a day in the life/reality type show. You really see very little interaction with the family as the narrator takes you through the show.

I have 5 dc and I have them pair up to tie shoes, hold hands when we are out, hlep with chores etc. I still interact with my children. I would give Michelle Duggar a little more slack as we really don't know what the dynamic in thier house is really like.

I have 5 dc and I have them pair up to tie shoes, hold hands when we are out, hlep with chores etc. I still interact with my children. I would give Michelle Duggar a little more slack as we really don't know what the dynamic in thier house is really like.

Well you have 5 and she has 17! So I don't really see those as alike at all. I can see the necessity in pairing up and helping out. My oldest does breakfast every morning for the little one and does a lot of other things to help me out, but I guess I just can't see how she has time to spend with all of them. I only have three and can't get it all done. That seems to me like the older children would have more than the normal work load for a family member.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Didn't read the whole thread, but the first page was mostly full of people saying that Kate annoys them. :( I have watched this show occassionally, and watched 2 episodes last night with ds8. I love it. And the funny thing is it was JON that annoyed me at first. I thought he had a very sarcastic and condescending tone toward Kate. Now that I've watched more episodes, I feel they are just a real family. I loved the scene last night when Kate was fixing the hair of the 3 yo girls who was being a little spacey acting. Kate just stopped and stared at her and said, 'who are you?' The kids clearly LOVE both their parents.

I think they are real. And I don't think the kids are being exploited. I imagine they are a spectacle every where they go anyway. Why not make a little money while you go on with your life.

but I bet she picks out his clothes, LOL. ;)

Oddly enough, I did see an episode where she admitted he has to go shopping with her to pick out her clothes because she has no fashion sense.

I like the show. They seem to represent a real family faced with real everyday issues of being a family. We don't always treat each other with respect and we're not perfect spouses/parents.

....well, except for me (sarcasm, don't attack me!!!)

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes as far as the multiples.

I think the show is well done. It shows a real family dealing with an "unreal" or "unnatural" situation. Women don't naturally have 6 kids at one time! It is hard, and I find it facinating how they cope. I also think that it will be a neat thing for the kids when they are olde. They can watch it and see all their parents went through for them. I don't think the show is done in a way the "exploits" the kids.

Of course, I don't always like how the mom, or even the dad responds, but it is real. No family is perfect, and they are not pretending to be. I can't imagine having a camara on our family, showing the world our every weakness or shortcoming.

Ii haven't seen every episode, but I watch it when it happens to be on and I'm grading school work. It beats the other stuff on TV.

Kim

I think those who only watch 5 min or even just 1 episode aren't giving Jon or Kate a fair chance. They adore each other. She may not be the sweetest-tongued girl on the block but she loves those kids, she's wild about Jon. Jon isn't treated like a dog, and they (on numerous occasions) have addressed their criticisms about the way they communicate - quick and to the point, a little abrupt, often loud - as a response to the stress level.

Gracious I had 1 preemie and only 3 kids. She had 6 very premature babies, and toddlers at the same. I can't even imagine how they manage. She is actually better about feeding her 8 than I am with my 3. She doesn't cut corners just because there are so many of them. I admire that... I am guilty of using the drive-thru as an easy way out more often than I'd like.

I can't watch the Duggars for the reasons already mentioned. She may actually be that Stepford-ish in real life, but it just seems so contrived for TV. It doesn't seem real at all. She reminds me of the way one behaves in front of ones' grandparents, or church elders... or a TV camera. ;)

I love Jon and Kate for all their perfectly lovable imperfections...

• 1 month later...

I like the show and like seeing a real mom not an icky, syrupy sweet, robotic family :)

I'm watching it for the first time right now. I do hear a little bit of bickering, but nothing over the top. Yeah, they kind of sound like us: a little overwhelmed, a little sarcastic, a little edgy. And not perfect, nor are the children. I feel more "at home" watching them!

I'll be the voice of decent. I love that show. I think they are a real family, and I totally get them. I don't think they're exploiting their kids and I don't think she's awful.

I find the mom and dad really playful in their treatment of each other. The mom slaps the dad but from what I can tell it's totally in jest. Gosh, I punch my dh all the time for fun (trust me, it's for fun, I couldn't hurt the big guy if I tried). I think the mom definitely has the stronger personality but then again, she's managing a lot at home so maybe she has to.

Anyway, I'm pretty sensitive to wives respecting their husbands, and I really didn't find her disrespectful at all.

BTW, I've only watched it three or four times. But on a whole, the family seems to really love each other.

I watched the show for the first time last night, and I have to say I was really disappointed. All I've heard about this show is what a shrew she is, how mean she is to her husband, how mean she is to her kids, etc. But I thought that she was very funny! A bit acerbic, absolutely... but the husband gave as good as he got!

And it was never NASTY: it was just the sort of real "I love you and you love me, which means we can say what we really think and don't have to sugarcoat it" that a lot of couples have in the privacy of their own home. I saw the Valentine's Day one and the clothes shopping one, and thought they both seemed like people I could really hang out with.

And the kids are soooo cute. While the jury is still out on how much fun it is to parent sextuplets 24/7, imagine how much fun it must be for those kids to live in a ready-made daycare center full of playmates!

I hate watching it! I just felt horrible watching the episode where the sil gave the little kids gum, and then Kate told her little guy she was throwing away his bear "lovey" because he got gum on it. I'd like to think that I wouldn't crush my 2yo over a childish mistake, and I was really annoyed by the way she called the sil and chewed her out about giving the kids gum. I'm thinkin' she's pretty lucky anyone is actually willing to babysit such a large crew!

I also admit to finding one of the older girls just absolutely...(I don't think I can put what I'm thinking...)

Maybe some professional help would be in order, because the self-centered-ness seems pretty extreme. Whether or not the cause is a lack of attention from the parents or not, the world does not need another person with that particular personality. While I've heard J & K mention that they realize there's a problem, I've never actually seen or heard them address the behavior in any substantive way. If there's work being done on that situation that is not shown on the show, I'm glad, but maybe it would be in the best interests of that particular child's character to not have the family intruded on with tv cameras.

-Just my .02...

OK, I don't have a working TV so I went online to watch some of the show. What I found disturbing was the obsession of some of the people on the web with those kids! There are videos for some of the kids where people have cut and pasted parts of the show together and put them to music. There is also a lot of labeling of the kids by these internet people such as "She's the rebel" "She's the princess" etc.

Perhaps its harmless but some of it was creepy. Now - mind you - I'm not accusing the parents of anything negative and I don't know how much it costs to raise those kids so they are doing a TV show but - I hope that as soon as they are financially stable, they quit and that the benefits will be worth the costs.

Just my 2 cents.

that Kate and Jon seem to be nicer to each other the last few episodes? I watch very on and off and just caught a few recent episodes. Both seemed to be less tired and crabby and much kinder to each other than they once were. It showed in their eyes...and their tone.

Maybe they got counseling. Or some sleep.:)

that Kate and Jon seem to be nicer to each other the last few episodes? I watch very on and off and just caught a few recent episodes. Both seemed to be less tired and crabby and much kinder to each other than they once were. It showed in their eyes...and their tone.

Maybe they got counseling. Or some sleep.:)

Or the sextuplets have turned three and life is getting a bit easier. :D

It was when our twins turned three that DH finally stopped saying, "Do you think we could put one of them back in for a year or two?"

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot stomach this show although I haven't watched it for some time. I thought the wife was very rude towards her husband; it didn't appear to be 'in jest' to me. Plus she constantly complained about her kids. I feel sorry for the children. I would be so hurt to think that my mother complained and whined about me with her friends, let alone on television.

But then I can't stand those nanny shows either. Not that I don't children need discipline; just that even children have a right to privacy and to be disciplined in private.

Janet

On Mondays I would do art work with 4 groups of kids (over 60 kids total) and then come home and watch Jon and Kate. It always helped me unwind.

I like Kate and I like the little, loud fit-pitching twin. In order to have a functional relationship some men need to be married to women who tell them exactly what is wrong exactly when it happens otherwise they just won't notice.

This year my 14yo ds and I talked about what he wanted in a wife. He knows how to clean. He doesn't like food. He said that he needs a wife who understands that he is clueless and lets him know what's up. My son has zero empathy. You just have to tell him and don't beat around the bush. He doesn't like hint dropping. If a woman were to pout, cry or hint drop that something was wrong, this would irritate my ds much more than a woman who just told him to grab a child and help at the exact moment that she needed the help.

I have often thought that Jon is like my 14yo. If Kate didn't get in his face and tell him what's happening, he may never notice. When the little foot-stomping twin comes on the screen, I smile and think alright here is my dil.

Mandy

i think she is just straight forward. she has said many times with 8 kids she doesnt have time to be cutsey and skirt around things. She has to get to the point, even if that means being loud and scowly sometimes. They were on a local morning show today of ours and it was brought up about her being mean towards him and him always looking mad in the series. He said hes not, its just the facial expression he has. And they may seem like they bicker alot but the cameras are in their home 3-4 days a week and they really do edit out alot. both them were kidding around how they only argue every other second and they make sure that the non argue seconds dont hit the air lol.. I think because they are doing the show and the show gets edited so much, you really only see what will "sell" the show. With j&k +8 it is the bickering.. with the duggars its the "niceness" It is all the way tlc wants you to view them. I think they are doing the best they can with kids the ages they have. We could sit here and nitpick them all day long, but really we are not in their shoes.. unless you have the same number and ages of kids she has. And for her comments on her kids, i really feel it is all in the editing. She loves her kids more than anything else in the world, she is probably just so tired and stressed most of the time that things come out of her mouth.. im sorry if any of you feel it wrong to complain about your kids... cause i do not find it normal if you dont complain lol.. I complain at least once a day about something with my kids.. but always change my mind a few minutes later lol.