Menu

Occupations that make you cringe...

I would be mortified if either of my kids wanted to join the military.

Also, any type of career that involved raping and pillaging the planet more than it already is. E.G.open cut mining.

:iagree: I'd be mortified if ds wanted to join the military, too. To me that would be the absolute worst (legal) job he could possibly do. Thankfully, it interests him not at all.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my cousin was small he wanted to be the man who drove the tractor that mowed the grass on Interstate right-of-ways, because he'd be "famous." Apparently if everyone driving by saw him mowing, that meant he was famous.:lol:

More than one time during his "floundering" years my aunt jokingly said she'd like him to have that job and be famous.

I also would be proud of a child in the military! DH is in the USAF right now and is cross-training. One of his options is firefighter. I am for that, too!

My DS, 5, is still feeding a 3 year obsession with fish, specifically marine animals (well, even the sea creatures that aren't technically fish hold his attention!)

I think he would make a great marine biologist or one of those people who make documentaries about the ocean. He loves watching those.

But as for jobs that make me cringe?

A public school teacher.

I wouldn't be mortified if my kids wanted to join the military...terrified, absolutely, lock-them-in-the-closet-til-they-promise-not-to-ever-consider-it-again, probably, cling to their knees sobbing, yup...but not mortified.

Diva wavers between being a marine biologist, horseback rider in the Olympics, and a musician.

Honestly, as long as my kids are happy and fulfilled in what they're doing, I'll be good. As their mother, I'd prefer it wasn't life endangering of course, but...its their life. I just have to trust that I'll have raised them with a solid moral compass that will keep them out of the shadier aspects of life (ie pole dancer, drug dealer) and have provided them with an education that opens their eyes to the limitless possibilities that await them...and stand back and see where they roam.

I vehemently oppose any of my kids becoming a lawyer. So far, so good.

I have no problem with them joining the service, as long as they do so as officers.

Two want to be doctors, one wants to be a published, bestselling author of great literature, and the last one has no idea.

I'm surprised at the number of posts about not wanting children to serve in the military. I would be thrilled if my boys chose to serve, for life or even for a time. (But I think that we should be like Israel and everyone has to serve)...

...of those who posted about not wanting children to serve in the military, but it's not my first choice for my kids.

My husband served for 27 years (14 of those, I was with him), his father was military, and two of his siblings joined, too. We deeply appreciate those who serve (and their families).

But in many cases, there's a stiff price to pay. Not just in health or your life, possibly, but in relationships, spiritual life...it's something everyone should definitely count the cost over, and not take lightly.

Personally...I'd not choose it for my kids. I'd be supportive if they chose it, and I'd get over it...but I'd still make sure they got an earful from me about the possible cons. Once it was out of my system, I'd be proud, and back them up, though.

(I realize not everyone has the same experience, but I don't know anyone who's been in the military that wouldn't encourage young folks to think very hard and long about joining. It's not a bad choice...it's a great one, I just think it should be made for the right reasons, and by someone who's strong enough not to let the negatives impact their lives and the lives of those they choose to marry. I would NOT advocate it as an across-the-board, good-for-everyone choice. Your mileage may vary, in other words.)

Not arguing with anyone (and you know I love ya, Laney :-), just puttin' it out there.

ETA: I hadn't read all the other posts before responding, and just wanted to make clear (in case it wasn't) that I believe military service to be a necessary thing, and an honorable pursuit. I'm not against the military, as an entity, or hesitant about my kids serving for any reason like that. I'm just not a believer in a system that would advocate it for everyone, and believe we have a strong military because it's built on choice. Just wanted to make it absolutely clear...lol.

Edited by Jill, OK

When my now 7 yo ds was 5 he would tell everyone he wanted to be a hobo because he could "travel all over and not have to work". It never made me cringe because I was too busy laughing at the looks on people's faces. Now he wants to be a garbage man. He loves watching the garbage truck come and tip up those big dumpsters.

I'm surprised at the number of posts about not wanting children to serve in the military. I would be thrilled if my boys chose to serve, for life or even for a time. (But I think that we should be like Israel and everyone has to serve.)

Me too. I'd be nervous, sure, but really, really proud of them. What a brave and honorable profession to choose! :hurray:

I don't think there's anything I don't want my kids to do. Obviously I think there are some professions that will make their lives easier than others, but as long as their career choices don't run contrary to our faith (i.e. an abortion doctor, for instance) I'm sure I'll be happy with what they choose.

:iagree: I'd be mortified if ds wanted to join the military, too. To me that would be the absolute worst (legal) job he could possibly do. Thankfully, it interests him not at all.

I understand a parent not wanting a child in the military, I understand an attempt to dissuade said child, but mortified???

I am absolutely amazed at the tone of posts like this.

I would remind all who would be "mortified" that posters such as Peela would be speaking Japanese were it not for the military and Audrey would probably be speaking German.

The men (and women) who protected our freedoms in the past, and continue to do so today deserve a little more respect.

I understand a parent not wanting a child in the military, I understand an attempt to dissuade said child, but mortified???

I would remind all who would be "mortified" that posters such as Peela would be speaking Japanese were it not for the military and Audrey would probably be speaking German.

The men (and women) who protected our freedoms in the past, and continue to do so today deserve a little more respect.

Really? We'd all be speaking (fill in the blank)? You can do better than that.

At any rate, that's just your opinion.

I have mine and I'm entitled to it. I don't need you to "remind" me of anything.

My father served in the Navy for 25 years. I do not disrespect him when I say I would be mortified at my son joining the military. He agreed with me. Actually, mortified would be the mild term for how I'd probably feel. The military is completely antithetical to my beliefs.

So you feel differently. Obviously the twain shall not meet.

:glare: Oh for crying out loud... I do not think it is in any way disrespectful towards the men and women who serve in the military to state that I do not want my children serving in the military. I am not against the soldiers, I am against the wars and the various acts that are committed by the military that I disagree with. YMMV.

Really? We'd all be speaking (fill in the blank)? You can do better than that.

At any rate, that's just your opinion.

I have mine and I'm entitled to it. I don't need you to "remind" me of anything.

My father served in the Navy for 25 years. I do not disrespect him when I say I would be mortified at my son joining the military. He agreed with me. Actually, mortified would be the mild term for how I'd probably feel. The military is completely antithetical to my beliefs.

So you feel differently. Obviously the twain shall not meet.

Of course I can do better than that, but it is nevertheless a fact. Were it not for the Allied powers in 39-45 the Axis would have won. This is not supposition, this is reality and obviously if you doubt this then you do need to be "reminded".

So yes, in Canada you probably would have been taken by Germany.

I suspect that most people with military service would find the tone "mortified" disrespectful. I certainly do.

"antithetical to my beliefs"???? Loyalty, honor, patriotism, hard work, duty, courage.... these are "antithetical" to your beliefs?

As a side note, your partial quote of Kipling "twain shall not meet" is also quoting an individual who would be, I suppose, "antithetical" to your beliefs as he subscribed to the military ethos.

Edited by pqr

:glare: Oh for crying out loud... I do not think it is in any way disrespectful towards the men and women who serve in the military to state that I do not want my children serving in the military. I am not against the soldiers, I am against the wars and the various acts that are committed by the military that I disagree with. YMMV.

We agree. There is no disrespect in not wanting children in the military, but there is disrespect in being mortified.

If that was all there is to the military, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that these are characteristics your father displayed during his 25 years. These are also the characteristics that those military men I know do display in spades.

How many military men do you know who do not display these, not read about in CNN, but actually know? If any then they are behaving in a manner that is outside the military ethos not inside it.

Of course I can do better than that, but it is nevertheless a fact. Were it not for the Allied powers in 39-45 the Axis would have won. This is not supposition, this is reality and obviously if you doubt this then you do need to be "reminded".

So yes, in Canada you probably would have been taken by Germany.

I suspect that most people with military service would find the tone "mortified" disrespectful. I certainly do.

"antithetical to my beliefs"???? Loyalty, honor, patriotism, hard work, duty, courage.... these are "antithetical" to your beliefs?

As a side note, your partial quote of Kipling "twain shall not meet" is also quoting an individual who would be, I suppose, "antithetical" to your beliefs as he subscribed to the military ethos.

I must say I find your point of view so very interesting and I appreciate when you chime in.

I have recently met a gentleman who escaped from Cuba 14 years ago (via home built boat). His knowledge of modern history far surpasses mine and his loathing of communism is boundless. He is an excellent dinner guest and my guess is that you would be too.

You always stir the pot, but it is often after you've dropped in a bit of spice.

K

Actually the one that I am cringing about is my oldest choice- he is a philosophy major and would like to become a philosophy teacher.

My middle wants to either go into the military, become a lawyer (prosecutor), or work in politics (not the politician but maybe a speech writer or policy wonk). I greatly approve of those choices.

My youngest vacilates between librarian and engineer. SHe also is considering the military. Unfortunately, unless her osteoporosis goes away, that won't be possible.

My kids have spend their entire lives in the military life and the girls love it. My son wanted to go into the military earlier but he has had medical issues and can't get in.

I will be really sad if none of my kids can follow their father's and three of their grandparents' footsteps and at least serve a short while. I have discussed with dd1 that she could work for the DOD if she is unable to join the military.

...of those who posted about not wanting children to serve in the military, but it's not my first choice for my kids.

My husband served for 27 years (14 of those, I was with him), his father was military, and two of his siblings joined, too. We deeply appreciate those who serve (and their families).

But in many cases, there's a stiff price to pay. Not just in health or your life, possibly, but in relationships, spiritual life...it's something everyone should definitely count the cost over, and not take lightly.

Personally...I'd not choose it for my kids. I'd be supportive if they chose it, and I'd get over it...but I'd still make sure they got an earful from me about the possible cons. Once it was out of my system, I'd be proud, and back them up, though.

(I realize not everyone has the same experience, but I don't know anyone who's been in the military that wouldn't encourage young folks to think very hard and long about joining. It's not a bad choice...it's a great one, I just think it should be made for the right reasons, and by someone who's strong enough not to let the negatives impact their lives and the lives of those they choose to marry. I would NOT advocate it as an across-the-board, good-for-everyone choice. Your mileage may vary, in other words.)

Not arguing with anyone (and you know I love ya, Laney :-), just puttin' it out there.

ETA: I hadn't read all the other posts before responding, and just wanted to make clear (in case it wasn't) that I believe military service to be a necessary thing, and an honorable pursuit. I'm not against the military, as an entity, or hesitant about my kids serving for any reason like that. I'm just not a believer in a system that would advocate it for everyone, and believe we have a strong military because it's built on choice. Just wanted to make it absolutely clear...lol.

Aww, shucks. I love you too, Jill.:001_smile: I understand your point, I really do and I completely respect it. I didn't mean to open up a can of worms.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that these are characteristics your father displayed during his 25 years. These are also the characteristics that those military men I know do display in spades.

How many military men do you know who do not display these, not read about in CNN, but actually know? If any then they are behaving in a manner that is outside the military ethos not inside it.

uh-m-m, and women. My step-dd just joined the AF.

gosh I am really enjoying find out how unethical I am these days lol. (I'm a former Marine)

The professions that make me cringe when my daughter mentions them:

Teacher

Politician

Actress

My son just wants to drive. He doesn't care if it's a race car, limo, rocket ship, tank, 18 wheeler, or just being daddy.

Chances are it's a different tax preparer, but the one near us has stepped it up a notch in the last week. They've added another person to the Lady Liberty: this one is a Grim Reaper with a sign saying, "The End is Near!"

(BTW, this is in far SE Arlington.)

No, we live in Collin County. It's been pretty funny seeing all the different men dressed up as Lady Liberty. We've also had a few Uncle Sams. The Grim Reaper would be histerical!

Just to clarify, if my son wanted to join the military, my concerns are more for his inner self--who he is as a person. He's just not the military type. He's too tender-hearted. He'd never be able to attack or kill anyone, even in war. It has nothing to do with my feelings about the military; I have the utmost respect for our military and am very grateful for their service. It's just not a career my son could do. I'd be absolutely terrified for him.

When we were at the gas station last week, my girls saw a guy in a bucket truck changing the light bulbs on the outside of the building. That is now what they both want to be. They were very excited - imagine being able to go up in the bucket all by yourself and look out over everything! The older girl wants to be an artist and she decided that this job would be good for her art, give her a unique perspective on the world, 'she'd probably have plenty of free time.

My ds that is in college in Japan currently wants to be bum. He wants to travel the world from country to country doing odd jobs and whatever he can to get to the next country. I can thank my brother - the high school math teacher - for that. His college room mate has been world-bumming for the 10 years since he graduated college. Prior to that, he wanted to be an astronaut, but he's 6'6" and terribly color blind, loves art and languages and hates math and science so it wasn't going to happen.

Fortunately, some 70 years ago, more than a few parents were not "mortified" or you just might be speaking Japanese.

I agree with you completely. There are times when military action has been unfortunately necessary to defend our countries and rights.

I just don't agree that this is one of those times.

So I stand by my right to be mortified, because I am mortified by what is happening in the world, and I still mean no disrespect to those who feel the governments of today have been acting in our best interests, or those who wish to help their agendas by joining the military. That is my business, to have an opinion, that's why we value our supposedly free society, right? We also have a right to disagree with what our governments have been doing, to disagree with what the militaries are doing, and a right to not want our children to be a part of it. Our children of course will do what they do. I am not being disrespectful to anyone, I am just expressing an opinion. Those past generations, yes, including military people, who fought and died, did so so that I could be free and have an opinion and express it and stand up for what *I*, an educated, free person, believe is right.

So, please don't tell me I dont have any right to be mortified. I have every right.

Mortified about the military? Not here--isn't it great that some of our children are willing to put their lives on the line to defend our country. Do I cringe at the thought of my dd putting in for aviation at USNA in a few short months? Yes. Will I cringe when I think of her first carrier landing? Yes. Just like I'm cringing today as (we hope) she's finishing up jump school. Perfectly good airplane and she has to go jump out of it. :D

:iagree: (up to the part about USNA - eeew - we're a USMA / USCGA family, LOL!!!)

My dad always told us we could be anything but a cheerleader or lawyer. I grew up in a liberal democratic family (3 girls) - no guns of any sort or military play allowed. My parents ended up with 3 of 4 military academy grads. They changed their minds and were proud of the selfless decisions we all made to serve.

After my parent's "no" rules backfired - I pick no neurosurgeons, no military, no missionaries, no spending your life selflessly serving others.

My ds was about 3 when he said he wanted to work at McDonalds. Then around 4 it was Petco. Then he wanted to design the Happy Meal Toys at McDonalds..then he wanted to be a Vet or a boarder for pets. By the age of 7 he wanted to be an architect and he has stuck with that for 2 years or so now.

None made me cringe...unlike dh I realized they were stages. He does make me giggle when he would think dh should give up his job to go to work at McDonalds. No offense to any McDonald workers here.

As long as my children pick something that is God-honoring I would be happy. So obviously Solid Gold Dancer is out of the question. :D

Yes....this is pretty much how I feel. I do tell ds he needs to be able to support himself...but I guess that would fall under 'God-Honoring' wouldn't it.

gosh I am really enjoying find out how unethical I am these days lol. (I'm a former Marine)

The professions that make me cringe when my daughter mentions them:

Teacher

Politician

Actress

My son just wants to drive. He doesn't care if it's a race car, limo, rocket ship, tank, 18 wheeler, or just being daddy.

Is it just a grade school/elementary teacher that makes you cringe, or would college professor also be bad? Or a music teacher? Teacher is way to general a term to dislike IMO, because there is such a wide variety of teachers.

As for the OP, I would cringe if they were stripping, selling drugs, working for big oil, or working for Wal-Mart. Oh, and maybe plastic surgeon they did it for the money giving boob jobs to bimbo's. If they're repairing cleft lip and faces of burn victims, then it's all good.

My kids are too young yet to be thinking about a career, but there isn't too much I'd be disappointed in. As long as they were happy and living up to their full potential then they'll be fine. Of course I think my parents were a disappointed in my choices. They wanted me to be a Dr. or something, but instead I joined the Army as a nurse at 18 and now I'm a SAHM.

Is it just a grade school/elementary teacher that makes you cringe, or would college professor also be bad? Or a music teacher? Teacher is way to general a term to dislike IMO, because there is such a wide variety of teachers.

Teach music out her home or at an arts center fine. Teach music at a government school not fine unless my some miracle, teachers unions are dissolved.

College Professor -I don't know. I have not researched their union policies, etc.

Teach music out her home or at an arts center fine. Teach music at a government school not fine unless my some miracle, teachers unions are dissolved.

College Professor -I don't know. I have not researched their union policies, etc.

Most of us don't have unions. All Cal State schools are unionized, I believe. But, I've been at 3 different Research Intensive schools and interviewed at several private schools, and believe that most higher education institutions are non-union shops :-).

So, please don't tell me I dont have any right to be mortified. I have every right.

No one said that you do not have a "right" to be mortified.

Those servicemen whose career choice you seem to hold in such disdain ensure that right.

My point was simply that there is a difference between not wanting one's children to join the military and using a term such as "mortified" which has strongly negative connotations.

Well my father was a Marine fighter-pilot in World War II and fought the Japanese in the Pacific (nearly losing his life) and my mother was a dedicated and talented unionized Elementary school teacher, and my brother is a lawyer.

And I'm darned proud of all of them!

Bill

We agree. There is no disrespect in not wanting children in the military, but there is disrespect in being mortified.

:iagree: , IF what is meant by the word "mortified" is the way I think of it: shamed, embarrassed, humiliated? It would be hard for me to imagine that a person feels any sort of respect for those in the military if one would feel that way about their child joining. If people are just using the word to basically mean "upset", I can definitely understand that. I would be incredibly worried about my child's safety, and I also would have some reservations because I'm not sure that recent military actions have been well-planned or well-executed. But I would never feel ashamed and embarrassed by my child choosing to serve his/her country. And I very much admire those who do choose that path. Conflicts that affect our freedom might not all be in the past; there could very well come a time when fighting for freedom is required again.

There is so much out there he wants to see and do.

I think that is what appeals to my son and my brother's roommate. Before he met my brother's old roommate, he had never imagined a life that could be so nonconventional. After a few hours of conversation, he realized that with hard work and imagination, he could live like that too. Of course I am jealous, nobody told me about choices like that when I was in high school.

Nothing makes me cringe. As long as my children find an occupation that makes them happy, that's all I want. I worked many a job that made me miserable and that would be the only thing I hope my children don't have to go through.

At this point my oldest would like to eventually design the next card/cartoon game to follow in the steps of Pokemon, YuGiOh and Bakugan. My dd would love to be a vet or zookeeper, and my youngest wants to be Lightning McQueen LOL

Well my father was a Marine fighter-pilot in World War II and fought the Japanese in the Pacific (nearly losing his life) and my mother was a dedicated and talented unionized Elementary school teacher, and my brother is a lawyer.

And I'm darned proud of all of them!

Bill

Good for you! :001_smile: There is no reason not to be proud of them!

I have talked with many teachers here who are near retirement age, and they tell me that that teaching has changed a lot over the last several decades. From what I understand, at least here, teachers are told what to teach, how to teach it, and when to teach it. I think the public education system has changed an enormous amount over the last 40 years and that is not all to the good.

I have a several reasons for not wanting my children to become lawyers like their parents are. First, if they want to be prosecutors, they will not make a living wage commensurate with their educational level and work load. Second, the profession is overcrowded. This makes it hard to find a good job that pays well. Third, lawyers typically end up with large student loans to pay back. Fourth, there is a big difference between what people think practicing law is like (mostly garnered from t.v. shows) and what it actually is like. Fifth, it is tiresome to deal with a general public which has a negative view of lawyers while simultaneously having no idea how the justice system works, how lawyers have benefited society, and what the Constitution says and how that is meaningful only in the context of how it has been interpreted by the courts.

DH and I were raised in military families during the Vietnam War. I have no problem with my children joining the military as officers. I do have a problem with them becoming pawns, cannon fodder, in a war that is not fought decisively and effectively, and does not have a worthwhile purpose like WW2 did.

I want my children to go to college and to have jobs they enjoy, in which they use their educations, and which gives them the ability to support themselves and their families. This does not prevent them from pursuing more risky occupations, like becoming a published writer -- they can do that at the same time. It does not prevent them from getting degrees in a liberal arts subject if they desire -- they can have a double major or learn the information on their own. That said, I want to point out that my kids have no desire to become plumbers, electricians, chefs, truck drivers, construction workers, and so forth. There is nothing wrong with these occupations at all, it is just that my children do not want to do those jobs.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie