Menu

So who's a planner and who's not?

mafi39

This is my first year hs. While we have had a good year, I feel I sorely lacked in the planning department. I used to teach school and I was a planning queen, but you have to be with 20 kids!

I feel like this year, I kind of flew by the seat of my pants.

How many of you plan out your year? Do you plan a week at a time, two weeks, month? Do you use a planner? I saw someone mention binders, who uses them and how do you use them? I guess I feel I need to be a little more organized for next year. I have a 6 dd and 5yo ds and a 6 yo niece and they will all be doing 1st grade work for the most part!

Here's the subjects I have so far.

I am either going to us MFW 1st or HOD (can't decide, they both look great!)

MUS (not 100% sure yet, will check them out at curriculum fair)

AlphaPhonics (maybe Explode the Code or CLP)

Co-op classes once a week and weekly trips to the library

What else would you add?

Thanks!

I'm a planner, too. I had shied away from planning an entire year previously but this year I bit the bullet and did it and WOW things have gone so very much better! To allow for flexibility, I didn't plan out dates but rather days 1 to 180... so when things changed, all I had to do was re-work the pages that correlated days to actual dates... all the lesson plans stayed exactly the same.

I am what you might call a frustrated planner. I LOVE to plan - I list, I schedule, I research, I preview (you get the picture). However, my concrete-sequential tendencies to plan are at complete odds with my abstract random family's need to be spontaneous. Seriously, I thought it was just my inlaws, but it's an inherited trait and my kids got it. RANDOMness rules the house, and I am left frustrated, broken-hearted (broken-planned), and denied the satisfaction of checking off all my boxes... :nopity:

I plan and replan, I tend to plan more than we do though. I am revamping our plans as we speak for the next 5 weeks before I have our year end assessment, and then planning out the next 6 weeks after that point at the same time, plus planning for next year's curric which I will not be ordering until mid-august.

Targhee I am the same way, I plan and plan, but my family is all for random and often chaotic and not so much about following my plans

I am working now on planning out sixth grade for next year. I do use a planner book for that. I do it in pencil in case changes should be needed. I'm not absolutely tied to it if changes do need to be made. I've been doing it a long time, so it's pretty much second nature to me.

I just started putting together some binders of internet info, worksheets, and other worksheets for logic stage this year with my second son. I did this for science and a literature study, as well as a geography study. I have already put together a binder of worksheets for earth and space science next year, too.

I keep a large binder with notes about our work, book lists, and the work he's done for each year or semester, as needed. I don't make a separate notebook for each subject, but keep them all together using a tab system.

I'm a planner. It's why I adore HST+. I can create lesson plans for the whole year, then just submit them a week at a time. And yes, I do create most of them for the whole year, it's makes it go so much smoother that way. The only things I didn't do that with this year was math and music. I've already started creating plans for next year's start in July.

I buy my older 2 school planners at the beginning of the year and write their assignments out weekly. They check them off as they go. Most of what we use is pretty much "do the next thing" though. I write our their planners on Friday after I grade the last of their work.

Jennifer

I am and yet I am not.

I am a person who LOVES organization and planning. However. I can get too wrapped up in it. I could get too antsy with the children if they don't fit into my planning box ; ). Here's what works for me:

1) Some subjects I don't plan at all--just do the next thing. Math, Latin, Logic, etc.

2) Some subjects I do minimal planning. For CW, I try to look over the week and have an idea of what I'm going to do. If I write down anything, it's a note or two in one of the children's workbooks.

3) Some subjects I do more planning, but mostly over the summer. For Biblioplan, I sit down with the planning sheets and fit in all of my books (I use some extras) in the summer. Then, I put a sticky on each book showing what week it's used (e.g., Week 24), and I shelve the books in Week order. In addition, I go and print off all the timeline figures I plan to use onto large address labels. I then put these label sheets in sheet protectors in my notebook along with Biblioplan.

I used to try to do weekly planning pages, but they were time-consuming, made me hyperventilate, and almost never occurred as I planned them.

So I just said no.

And people who know me IRL and know I'm uber-organized are usually shocked to find this out. ; )

I plan but allow a great deal of flexibility in my plans. I also plan enough to have the materials, videos or books that we need each week.

I plan a week at a time and it's usually just the subjects we need to cover. For instance, today I planned a review in math, a section of SOTW, mapwork, history reading, a unit in English, handwriting, dictation, and reading for fun. I put in on my planner in a certain order, but rarely do our lessons get done in the order in which I schedule them. I like to be able to add lessons if we're on a roll, take a break if we need to, spend some more time on a particular subject if there's an interest or if she's finding a subject difficult to master or understand, or just declare a holiday and go to the museum or to see a movie. It works for us. :)

I'm not doing any detailed planning for next year. I've decided on most of the curricula I want to use and I have goals I want to reach throughout the year, but because my son will be starting K in the fall, I need to have some flexibility if things don't go as smoothly as I hope (and they never do :tongue_smilie:).

If it isn't already planned for me (SL), I am just a "do the next thing" type of gal. At the beginning of the year, I look over any material that isn't broken down into lessons that fit the school year and figure out how many pages per week to cover. Other than that, I don't do much planning. I did make a loop chart this year and I keep a learning record for ds6, but nothing hardcore. I'm just not wired that way.

...I have been homeschooling for 5 years.

Some years I do plan.

Others, I don't.

We had a family crisis last July 24, and the fall was totally by the seat of my pants as a result.

We just open the books (I do figure which curriculum to use for each course ahead of time) and do SOMETHING every day!

I do use Edu-Track software, and when there isn't a crisis, it does help me to be more productive -- I put in everything I THINK we should do and then there is a daily list to check off.

I don't think you need to plan much with younger children. Now that my ds is entering 5th grade (next fall) I will be planning a bit more for him.

Hope that helps!

Sandy

I am what you might call a frustrated planner. I LOVE to plan - I list, I schedule, I research, I preview (you get the picture). However, my concrete-sequential tendencies to plan are at complete odds with my abstract random family's need to be spontaneous. Seriously, I thought it was just my inlaws, but it's an inherited trait and my kids got it. RANDOMness rules the house, and I am left frustrated, broken-hearted (broken-planned), and denied the satisfaction of checking off all my boxes... :nopity:

:lol: I think we are related. LOL!

I only plan what curriculum I am going to buy.Then we do it.I used to plan days but i couldn't get it done so I just do what we can each day and do it till it is done.I am going to try a loop so I can get to things like art and music we always run out of time.So that's the plan!!:lol:

I plan big time.

I have a general yearly overview plan. Then I plan in detail one term at a time ahead.

however, having a weekly timetable is what keeps us on track.

I break away from my plans frequently- but I am glad to have plans to change my mind on.

When I first started homeschooling, and for the first few years, I was learning so much myself, it was hard to plan because I would keep changing my mind when i saw a better idea, or something obviously wasn't working. However, I still planned, and just gave myself permission to change my mind a lot.

I have tried a lot of different ways of planning- and actually find the planning part of homeschool to be one o my favourite parts. It all looks so good on paper!

I plan a month in advance. The children have a binder each with dividers for each day. I have what they need to do in each subject at the front of their folder. This is an example of what the kids see each day when they open their folder. I do this a month in advance, and photocopy off the relevant pages of the workbooks and put in the appropriate number of lined paper. I tend to list everything that they need to get done and they get to tick each thing off as they go.

Monday 2 March

ENGLISH

SQUIRT (silent quiet un-interrupted reading time)

Memorize a poem

Latin

Dictation

Phonics

Read to Mum

Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Megawords

Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wise Guide

Reading comprehension

MATHS

Do MUS worksheets

RightStart with Mum

Drill facts

Mum read aloud

An Island Story

Fairy Tale Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Hans Christian Anderson

Viking Tales

Science

Mum read aloud Ă¢â‚¬â€œ WhatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s smaller than a Pigmy Shrew?

Drama Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 5pm

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Grandma

Library

I plan out the year when I get in my new curriculum just to see how long it "should" last.

But I regularly plan every 2 weeks. At this time, I set up our schedules so that it is updated to exactly where we are because we diviate quite a bit and change things quite a bit from the yearly schedule.

I used to plan out to graduation but I don't do that anymore. I also write up schedules for programs that we use that don't have day to day schedules.:001_smile:

We just started Sonlight for history. I love that all of it is planned out for me and all the books are on the shelf! Although we had tons of fun learning history this past year without Sonlight it was a nightmare to plan out! I am actually kinda traumatized by all the trouble I went through:D! Yay sonlight!! I just do the next thing with math, writing and grammar since the curr. I use for these subjects is pick up and go. Science, Bible, Spanish and memory work are really the only ones I am planning out this year.

I am a "big picture" planner but not a detailed planner.

At the ages of my kids, I just don't see the need to plan out exact number of pages here or there - life happens too often and we end up "behind" this theoretical plan that didn't need to exist in the first place. For the most part I'm great with being a do-the-next-thing kind of homeschooler. I do prep things for school the sunday before each week (and occasionally the morning of - ha).

Hello, my name is Kim and I am a planner.

I am soon to be a reformed planner. I can no longer justify spending twice as much or more time planning than teaching when there are so many wonderful programs out there that do that for me. Planning and grading and teaching for three separate grades (four in another 2 years) has wiped me out. We are going with Sonlight next year for history and Bible and reading, and will be using Bob Jones science modules from Cov. Home Curr.-they include a daily plan. Our LA materials are all open and go, with the exception of IEW, and I plan to get as many premade lessons as possible to go with that.

I am really looking forward to the break!!

I choose what we need to learn and how we are going to learn it about now each year for the next year. I make up a rough daily schedule to make sure it will all fit in a day and I haven't bitten off more than we can chew. If I'm not sure we can do something but I really want to do it, I tell myself that when we finish this we will start that and I schedule one slot for the two of them. Then I order the first few months' books.

In June, I reorganize all the summer reading books into locations and make sure the piles look right: this pile we will read on the boat and this we will read on the lake etc.. I also do a sanity check on my fall plans, buy new binders and paper, and get the books out and make a real daily schedule (7-8 math, 8-9 Latin, etc.).

Then the first day of school, together we divide the number of pages of things like Kingfisher by the number of weeks (I use 30 for our 36 week school year). Usually things like math work out nicely to one lesson per day, since the textbooks have been written to fit into a school year.

Then we just open-and-go each day, following our daily schedule as best we can. I record any books we read or projects we do in a notebook, but I don't record things like which pages of Kingfisher we read or which math lesson we did. I record when the Kingfisher book was finished or the math book was finished.

I have tried making more extensive plans, but it was a lot of work and we had abandonned them by the end of the first month. I thankfully concluded that it wasn't worth it. Yes, sometimes my children have to wait a few minutes while I decide what project we're going to do to go with the reading we just finished, or wait until we can go to the library and get a book, but that disadvantage is totally outweighed by the advantage of them being able to make up their own projects and decide for themselves what they want to read about next. This has turned out to be very important for our family. My children like homeschooling, even as teenagers, and I think it is because they could follow their interests.

This is the sort of planning described in TWTM. It works very well and allows you to take full advantage of the flexibility of homeschooling.

-Nan

Next year I'm making a quarter planner with check boxes. This will be for the skill subjects. Like WTM mindy's monthly planner, but for 9 weeks each. The kids will each have a copy.

I'll make separate quarter planners for content subjects - science and history. That will take forever! Planning spine readings, read alouds, projects, supplies, library books and what to buy. I'll take the summer to work on that.

Edited by LNC

I love to plan, but know that things will never go as planned! Our best years have been when I have good plans and good routines. This has not been one of those years because of extended travel and involvement in too many things. I am regrouping and have started to use Homeschool Tracker software to lay out the plan. It seems to be quite flexible and allows to reschedule when things don't go as planned.

I am either going to us MFW 1st or HOD (can't decide, they both look great!)

MUS (not 100% sure yet, will check them out at curriculum fair)

AlphaPhonics (maybe Explode the Code or CLP)

Co-op classes once a week and weekly trips to the library

If I was doing just those three things, I wouldn't bother to make a plan. They're all the sort of programs with which you can simply do the next thing.

I like to plan, but I only plan when I need to actually create a lesson, or figure out how to fit an odd number of lessons or chapters into the time I have available for that subject. Otherwise, I use a combination of a checklist and a journal that's fully integrated with the same agenda I use to note down doctor's appointments and community meetings.

I am a BIG planner. I am already planning out next year and always have everything ready to go by year, month, week, day by the first day of school. It just seems to make things run smoother. I always plan more than we can do, so there are things planned that we will do if we get to it. We are way too busy to just "wing it."

I'm definitely a planner. For me, school planning actually leads to more spontaneity, not less, because I know we have covered what's needed, I know we are not behind, and we are then free to add in projects, take a field trip, whatever.

If I don't plan, small amounts of schoolwork tend to take far longer to do than they should.

I kind of plan. I have a spreadsheet where I figure out how many lessons we need to do a week from things like math, grammar, spelling or anything that has the lessons written out in them. With history or science I use a curriculum that has units and we just do the next thing. I have a big grid made in word that I got from Merry and tweaked. I update this grid weekly on Sundays and then pull any worksheets or things that we may need for the week ahead.

I love to plan, but know that things will never go as planned! Our best years have been when I have good plans and good routines. This has not been one of those years because of extended travel and involvement in too many things. I am regrouping and have started to use Homeschool Tracker software to lay out the plan. It seems to be quite flexible and allows to reschedule when things don't go as planned.

This sums me up!!! The last two years have not been that great because I have not planned or only planned half the year with the intent to finish over the holiday break and something has happened and I didn't get it done and for the rest of the year i'm struggling. I will plan this year in it's entirety in HSTP and just move/rearrange as needed.

I am most definitely a planner. We may not actually FOLLOW the plan, but I have to have a plan, otherwise it DEFINITELY won't get done!

I use Homeschool Tracker to keep track of all my plans. Even stuff that is in a different book (like MFW, for example), I usually try to enter into HST so that everything is in one place and so I can print out assignment sheets for my kiddos.

I only do actual lesson plans for a week in advance. More than that bites me in the hiney every time. I used to attempt a month's worth. Someone would launch ahead in one subject, but drag in another, or our history rabbit trails would get really involved. Since I was using one week blocks to record all that I was endlessly scratching weeks out to redo them. It's easier for me to do it weekly instead. :wink: I'll make goals that go farther than that.

I've used a few different planning mediums over the years. Right now each kid has their own clipboard. My oldest two have a weekly agenda on the top of their clipboards. The agendas have subjects down the side, days of the week across the top, and room at the bottom for notes and book titles. On the weekends I will fill that in where needed, they'll fill in some parts as we go along. While I'm planning any copies that need made are ran off, three-hole punched and put in my binder with kid names, science and history in the subject dividers. The evening before or the morning of I'll load each clipboard with the papers needed for that day. My littles' work doesn't need planned yet. They each have their own bookmark in Phonics Pathways, and I just grab the next pages in their various workbooks when they want workpages.

and then I read this thread and realized... I am not. I have some vague, general ideas, and sometimes I get some good ideas about fun units, like about spiders or something and plan that out, but I generally plan one week at a time. I never know what's going to come up. I like to be flexible and I hate having to redo all my plans.

and then I read this thread and realized... I am not. I have some vague, general ideas, and sometimes I get some good ideas about fun units, like about spiders or something and plan that out, but I generally plan one week at a time. I never know what's going to come up. I like to be flexible and I hate having to redo all my plans.

That's why I don't plan stuff on specific days. I just plan the order. That way if something comes up I don't have to redo my plans, I just bump them to the next day.

I am a planner. I work the yearly schedule to death starting about now till the end of summer, having a blast doing it.

I am not a planner cause I don't plan our days or weeks on paper. I do know what we have to get done when and if we come to a time crunch I'll divide the work remaining by the time- equals amount per week or day.

We generally get a ton done.

I love love love to plan. It is my favorite thing to do. I used to do a detailed yearly plan, but since DD2 came along I am down to doing a detailed 12 week plan. We school 12 weeks and take 4 off x 3, so during the breaks I plan in detail the next 12 weeks. The extra 4 weeks of the year are used to fudge around holidays and kids getting sick. I usually like to wrap up everything on the 12 week plans before we take a break, but it doesn't always happen that way. :001_smile:

I have already figured out what I'll be teaching next year, but have yet to get down to a detailed plan.

oohhhh....I am an uber planner!!! I love to and thrive off of planning. The cool thing is that I'm surprising myself at how flexible I am. I've really chilled out a lot this last year. I would much rather re-plan :D than not have anything planned and then not do anything. (I'm talking about life in general here, too...)

I don't plan. I find planning stressful.

If I plan, then I can almost guarantee that someone will get sick; OR the cat will die; OR all the transmission fluid will leak out of the car into a big red puddle on the driveway meaning hours spent schlepping around dealing with car repair; OR the new cat will decide that the litter box is "optional", necessitating a trip to the vet to see if there's a physical problem, and then some intensive re-training; OR I will get sick; OR the car brakes start making a really ominous grinding sound because the calipers went out and the rotors were apparently out of alignment, meaning more long hours with the brake place; OR the new cat (who now uses the litter box) decides to try to kill the other cat, necessitating another trip to the vet to see if there's a physical problem and even MORE intensive retraining; OR we discover that the horse barn has a special 3 day program for a reduced rate, but it lasts from 9am to 4pm on those days, so whoops, no school; OR someone else gets sick because by now it's their turn; OR we FINALLY get a decent snow fall so we can go sledding all day; OR ... something else.

And then I have to throw out the plans and start all over.

So I've quit planning. Much less stress in my life now.

I think your plan looks good...I would not add anything more. HOD will cover just about everything, and the co op will be nice for enrichment.

I don't think you need to plan out your whole year. Life just doesn't work that way. For me, just doing the next lesson is working fine. When I try to plan too much, it messes everything all up.

So I say just do the next lesson and try to be consistent and remember to take days or weeks off as you need them.

I somehow am working on like 40 weeks of school this year, and we took off pretty much whenever we wanted...;)