Menu

If someone were to simply look at you and your dh, what profession...

What profession or career would a casual observer guess you both had?

I keep thinking about this because my dh and I recently attended a time-share sales pitch (ugh). Our sales lady (very nice and not pushy, amazingly) said that she enjoys guessing the profession of the couples when she first meets them. She guessed hairdresser and policeman for me and dh. :lol: I don't know why that has tickled my funny-bone every since.

In the past, I've worked in the front office for a couple different dentists, and I've owned a garden/home/gift shop with my family, but now I stay home and raise/teach 3 little boys. My husband has been a swim coach and teacher in the past, but has been in computer networking/consulting (IT) for years now.

What do you think you look like to an 'outsider'?

I keep thinking about this because my dh and I recently attended a time-share sales pitch (ugh). Our sales lady (very nice and not pushy, amazingly) said that she enjoys guessing the profession of the couples when she first meets them. She guessed hairdresser and policeman for me and dh.

Interesting! I would have thought, given her position and desire to sell, she wouldn't want to make blind guesses. Kinda odd. We can assume she guessed hairdresser for you because you have such a nice, stylin' cut.

Not farmers, I know that much. When people see us in "street clothes" they're inevitably surprised that we're dairy farmers. Especially Hans. I guess in this country farmers are expected to wear Carharts and John Deere caps and plaid button-downs and so on. Most of them do meet that expectation, actually, based on what they wear to meetings and conferences.:tongue_smilie:

Me: frumpy housewife no doubt....I have no particular sense of style, I don't like makeup, and I'm terrible at dressing myself. I'm not totally dishevelled or anything, but I don't have color coordinated accessories or the like, iykwim.

Hubby: I'm sure he could never be pegged. I mean...he's a cpa, but he hates suits, likes to backpack/hike, wears jeans or cargo pants most of the time at home. Pretty casual at heart, and looks pretty nondescript. OTOH, when he *does* wear a suit......sigh.....I swoon all over again. Not sure what it is about him in a suit, but gosh he looks cute in one! ;o)!

Well I don't think I look like anything in particular, but dh looks like he'd be in new media/gaming/technology I think. He wears jeans and strange/artsy t-shirts and has an (almost) shaved head and a goatee. And he's usually on his iPhone. ;)

But I think she was just trying to entertain herself, and she didn't mention it right way. It did end up leading to interesting conversation, because we found out we were connected in some strange ways.

I certainly didn't picture you correctly, originally, when I knew you were German/Swiss dairy farmers. I pictured you heavier with blond braids. Bwa-ha-ha. Seeing the first photo of you was a shock :lol:. Definitely not classic dairy farmers. Much to Euro-chic for that. :)

Why a famous actor and a supermodel of course. :tongue_smilie::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, my dh is a carpenter and when he is dressed for work he looks like a carpenter.

When he is dressed nicely he looks like someone in the auto racing industry. :D;) He often wears a racing cap, forgets to change out of his sunglasses when we go places, so he looks like he's trying to go incognito.

Me, OTOH, I don't know. Most of the time I'm just comfortable. I either look like I'm ready for a trip to the beach or being artsy. I've worked in everything from a business attire office to a vet's office, but now I just look like a mom.

Well I don't think I look like anything in particular, but dh looks like he'd be in new media/gaming/technology I think. He wears jeans and strange/artsy t-shirts and has an (almost) shaved head and a goatee. And he's usually on his iPhone. ;)

Your dh sounds just like mine! Add tattoos for my dh. I'm a pastor's wife :-)

I keep thinking about this because my dh and I recently attended a time-share sales pitch (ugh). Our sales lady (very nice and not pushy, amazingly) said that she enjoys guessing the profession of the couples when she first meets them. She guessed hairdresser and policeman for me and dh. :lol: I don't know why that has tickled my funny-bone every since.

In the past, I've worked in the front office for a couple different dentists, and I've owned a garden/home/gift shop with my family, but now I stay home and raise/teach 3 little boys. My husband has been a swim coach and teacher in the past, but has been in computer networking/consulting (IT) for years now.

I'm guessing we both look like beach bums. Sand between our barefoot (me) toes and perpetual tans from hanging laundry and exercising.

My husband is usually mistaken for a lawyer, but he's not. He's a mild-mannered statistician who works for the government and politicians.

I must look like a gardening salesperson because whenever I'm shopping at nurseries (too often), people ask me questions and are surprised I don't work there. Maybe I should. For now, I'm a sahm.

I think we both still look like students. Dh has smartened himself up a bit. I commented yesterday that he was dressed better for uni than I'd seen him dress for work most of last year. Being a stay at home mum, there's no reason for me to update my wardrobe so I'm still wearing the same crushed velvet skirts and t-shirts. I wear glasses so dh thinks I look like a librarian. One of his old crushes was a librarian too. Hmm...

:)

Rosie- who likes crushed velvet skirts and t-shirts, so doesn't mind she can't afford to go shopping.

That is a good question. I'm not sure how to answer. My dh is a small business owner and comptroller for a development company. People might say he looks like an accountant.

Me? I don't know. Probably SAHM! Jeans and comfy clothes for me.

I have had people ask me if I am a teacher before...and also had a few ask if I was a nurse (mostly because of what I know in the medical field rather than what I look like). Prior to being a stay at home/homeschooling mom, I was a technical writer.

My dh does not dress in any way that would make you think he does what he does. Honestly, he looks like he works in an office somewhere. He does...he is and engineer and is currently the director of product reliability and safety engineering.

Edited by Tree House Academy

But I think she was just trying to entertain herself, and she didn't mention it right way. It did end up leading to interesting conversation, because we found out we were connected in some strange ways.

I certainly didn't picture you correctly, originally, when I knew you were German/Swiss dairy farmers. I pictured you heavier with blond braids. Bwa-ha-ha. Seeing the first photo of you was a shock :lol:. Definitely not classic dairy farmers. Much to Euro-chic for that. :)

I think that this is just her way of getting you to tell her what your jobs are. Now, she knows your income bracket.;)

It is a nice non-pushy way to find out what she needed to know.

That could be. :) Everyone who agrees to the presentation is supposed to be above a specific income, but there is a big range left over. A really big range. :) Or an easy way into a casual conversation to make a person feel connected to their sales person, or... I suppose there are all sorts of ways to spin that one.

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

My hubby gets marine often! One little elderly lady even argued with him when he answered "no, ma'am" to her asking him if he was a Marine. He is actually a juvenile payroll/probation officer. I cannot think of anyone ever even guessing on me! I must look like a sahm?

My husband probably would be taken for a contractor except when he's in a suit, then he looks like a politician, which is the purpose if the suit (political schmoozing). He's a firefighter / union president.

Me? I dunno. Given my avatar, what would you guess I used to do for a living?

I once had a neighbor come up and ask what my hubby does for a living, she said "I always see your husband coming and going through out the day and night, he has a very expensive briefcase (actually it's a laptop carrier), an expensive car, street clothes, and young men at the house." Young men as in Puerto Ricans, black guys, Dominicans, OH MY!! It was obvious what she was getting at. So I said he's a drug dealer. She looked like her head was going to pop:lol: I quickly laughed and told her he's in the record business. She was so flustered, it was hilarious! So that's just lovely, I guess people think he COULD be a drug dealer!:confused: Her next question was what race are you guys:001_huh: Maybe people don't know what to think about us. I get are you an artist.

People always ask if my husband is in the military -- he has short hair and is physically fit.

For me, it's usually, "Are you a teacher?" but that is because I borrow so many educational resources from the library. :)

At a baby shower, people figured I must be a teacher because I was the only one to correctly answer a question during one of the games. We were finishing pairs, like Bert and __________. I was the only one who could finish Romulus and ____________.

Dh is a computer guy, and I think people might guess that... unless you saw him on the weekend when he is doing the whole car/yardwork thing, and just doesn't care how he looks. He has a sort of uniform consisting of semi-casual tops, Dockers/Old Navy slacks, and dressy Skechers. He wears his hair very short and has wire-rimmed glasses. I *think* I look like a teacher or a librarian because that is how I see myself.... other people seem more comfortable when I mention that I am a writer, since I fit that image better, I guess. I live in jeans, layered tees, and a ponytail. I wish I looked more like a professional, but I feel too much like a full-time mom to stress about it.

One would guess that he was either military, or retired military, working as a contractor for the government or a civilian defense company, lol.

If you want to get a good idea of what my husband looks like...just watch Russell Crowe in the movie Body of Lies, lol. That's pretty much him, down to the badge around his neck, and the gray crew cut. ;-)

Me? I don't know. A teacher, probably. (I do freelance copywriting and journalism, from home).

In my normal everyday attire nobody thinks I'm anything but a middle-aged housewife. Oh, and sometimes they think my son is my grandson. :glare:

When I'm a little more dressed up I get asked math questions a lot. If I'm in a group of people I don't know well and some mathematical issue comes up (dividing up the check in a restaurant) someone will almost always say "Beth, you're good at math, aren't you?" So, I guess I look like someone who's good at practical math. And I am...but I don't know how it shows. :)

When DH is out shopping he often gets asked for help by other customers who assume he's the manager of whatever store they're in. His normal work clothes are khakis and polos, and he walks very quickly and purposefully and always looks like he knows what he's doing.

In real life, he manages a section of the art department of a medical school. His job is a combination of IT, management, and art.

Just from your avatar? I don't know... I'll make a stab in the dark. How about a musician. I'm thinking stringed instrument.

Aw, that's sweet. I played the violin for a while, in 4th grade. It was dreadful. In reality, I used to be a software engineer. :D

People would guess some white collar profession for my hubby. I am pretty usre they would guess SAHM for me. I am currently wearing a pair of mom jeans and an I love NY t-shirt. This is my standard uniform and I can't think of anything that screams MOM more. :tongue_smilie:

My dh is 6'3", has short light brown hair, a gotee, and an earring. He ALWAYS wears cargo pants and a button up shirt. People usually guess that he is an engineer (which his is), but it isn't all that surprising since about 25% of the men in town work for the government in some sort of technical capacity.

When I'm not being mistaken for a highschooler (I'm 27, for goodness sake!) people usually guess that I'm a teacher (which I sometimes am).

My husband probably would be taken for a contractor except when he's in a suit, then he looks like a politician, which is the purpose if the suit (political schmoozing). He's a firefighter / union president.

Me? I dunno. Given my avatar, what would you guess I used to do for a living?

I would have guessed an artist or some sort of artsy creative type...or a model.

My dd said she'd think I was a professional shopper. hmmm.

My dh looks like a younger Deniro so probably something to do with organized crime, lol.

When we were meeting for the first time,(blind date) he said "Im in a white cadillac, I'll be the one who looks like I stole it."

I'm a pediatrician which always surprises people. I don't know what they think I look like but everyone is always surprised. Usually it seems that they've put me in the SAHM box and then are surprised to find out that's not the case. That happens especially in homeschool circlues.

Dh is an architect. I'm not sure what people think he looks like. I think the looks like an architect. :) Mostly because he dresses casually for work, has slightly funky glasses and tends towards funky shoes. He looks like most of the other people in his office...but that could just be his office. If anyone sees his writing though they should know what he does. Architects all write the same.

This reminds me of a game my dd and I played while waiting at the airport for my dh to come home. First we guessed everyones name who came off the plane "thats a Dottie if I've ever seen one Then when we tired of that, we guessed peoples professions. A woman waiting for her husband noticed and began to play along with us. First we all guessed eachothers names, lol.

No one can ever guess my husbands profession. My husband is a jock at heart. He played football and baseball in high school. He played football in college. He even looks like a jock. If he could he would get rid of all the television stations except for the sports stations.When we are with people he wants to talk sports, sports, sports. When people find out he's an English professor everyone has the same reacation their mouths drop open.

As for me I'm kind of quiet and shy around people. I was once asked if I was a librarian. So I guess I would be a librarian.

Blessings

Zoraida

I don't know what profession, butsome would think he married his mother. I have a nice crop of gray hair going for oh, 8 years or so. I gave up coloring when my first grandchild was born.

DH is just starting to consider growing some gray.

Several times he was thought to be the father of our youngest daughters 2 yr old when he was born. We were out for lunch in Florida, and I was taking pics...

OHH..your NOT the Father??

:glare:

Same with the way I pictured Colleen. Always much heavier. Why is that? I remember the first time I saw her picture...I was shocked at how tiny she is.

Let's see. My husband is a Realtor and he looks like...a Realtor. You know, suit, tie. Shoes. Briefcase. Business cards sticking out of breast pocket.

I am a housewife with greasy hair and stained clothing. I am usually muttering to myself and scrounging for change in the couch cushions to buy myself a latte at the local coffee shop. I have been known to wear my brown fuzzy slippers to the grocery store. I usually can't find my own winter hat so I often wear my son's Spiderman hat. I never can find matching mittens, so I just pull on one left and one right of whatever is available. So, my best guess is that I look like a street person.

:lol:

Let's see. My husband is a Realtor and he looks like...a Realtor. You know, suit, tie. Shoes. Briefcase. Business cards sticking out of breast pocket.

I am a housewife with greasy hair and stained clothing. I am usually muttering to myself and scrounging for change in the couch cushions to buy myself a latte at the local coffee shop. I have been known to wear my brown fuzzy slippers to the grocery store. I usually can't find my own winter hat so I often wear my son's Spiderman hat. I never can find matching mittens, so I just pull on one left and one right of whatever is available. So, my best guess is that I look like a street person.

Love the description!:lol:

I would guess mechanic for hubby, which is close: carpenter.

I have no idea what they would guess for me. I see myself as a bit of a virago, but dressed very comfortably, and I wear my hair too young. When I coyly mention I work at a hospital (I don't blurt out my profession), I always get "oh, you're a nurse" to which I reply "oh, no, nursing is too hard for me." :)

I would guess mechanic for hubby, which is close: carpenter.

I have no idea what they would guess for me. I see myself as a bit of a virago, but dressed very comfortably, and I wear my hair too young. When I coyly mention I work at a hospital (I don't blurt out my profession), I always get "oh, you're a nurse" to which I reply "oh, no, nursing is too hard for me." :)

What are you doing in the hospital, mending the roof?