Menu

What would you do for next year if you could spend NO money for school?

Karen in CO

I have a good friend that is homeschooling a child the same age as my oldest daughter. She has NEVER spent money for homeschool other than pencils and paper, craft supplies, and science supplies. Never spent a penny. Her husband is adamant that it can be done without spending money on it and so far she has. Her son is ahead of grade level in math and reading. He writes as well as any 8yo boy and loves history and science and is learning Japanese. She uses free worksheets from the internet and library books. She hasn't even bought a how-to homeschool book.

Our recent discussions have made me reconsider what I use for homeschool.

How much would your homeschooling methods change if you could not spend money for school? What would you use? Could you homeschool with no money for it?

I think that it would take a lot more time for me to find all the resources I need every day and every week. Sure, it's possible, but I don't think I have the time to do all that planning. I know I'm spoiled, but I prefer to buy curricula that is a "pick up and go" model. This is coming from a person who was trained to be public school teacher.

Kudos to your friend. She sounds a lot like my sister-in-law.

Does her dh consider internet, the cost of printing, and gas to the library homeschooling expenses? :001_huh:

I would have to consider long and hard whether I could viably do homeschool spending no money on books. I am pretty frugal and have been blessed to find several old textbooks at thrifts stores and through paperbackswap. the expense was minimal. However my time is valuable too and if I had spend an inordinate amount of time gathering and putting together materials I might feel less enthusued about homeschooling at all. Granted our library is not good so that doesn't help.

I love research and I think spending money for what I feel are the best materials, not just the cheapest, is a worthwhile investment. I did homeschool with a 100.00 budget one year. It was hard, I bartered, begged, and that was our toughest year. We just didn't have any more money. My dh is a carpenter and he understands the investment into the proper tool to do the job. He never questions my budget and we've been able to spend more now.

I think some people would rise to the challenge. My personality would probably just stress out and implode. :lol:

When I think about the resources I have saved on my computer from google books and other websites, I feel kind of ashamed of how much money I spend on curriculum. If I had to homeschool for free, I easily could. Here is what I would use next year for 3rd and 8th grade:

Reading for my 3rd grader - This would be the hardest thing to do for free, because she is dyslexic, so I'd have to modify anything I download from the internet to slow down the pace and make it multisensory. A friend of mine taught her severely dyslexic son to read without buying an expensive OG program, so I know it can be done, but it's hard.

Math - Ray's Arithmetic, downloaded from google books

Grammar - Harvey's Grammar - I own the reprints of both books, but they are also available on google books

Writing - Books I've downloaded from google books - some of them are excellent

Spelling - there are free websites for spelling, or I could use one of the spelling books I've downloaded from google books

Latin - Latin Book One - the chapters, answers, and audio files are all available free on a yahoo group

Science - the library

History - the library

Art - library books or art lessons from the internet (I'd have to spend some money on supplies, though.)

Music - play classical music on cable tv and CDs we already own

ETA: I'd have to continue paying $25/year to use the next county's library system. Our county's library is pretty awful.

Remember that homeless dad and his teenage daughter who were found living in a cave? They had a set of Encyclopedia Britannica that he was using to teach her, and she tested above grade level. If I were forced to homeschool for free or almost free, that story would remind me that it can be done, and done well.

Edited by LizzyBee

I think I would need a really, really good library. Our local library has a children's section of about four bookshelves. That would include everything from preschool through young adult. I don't think there are more than 300 or 400 non-fiction books total (for children.) With a good library I could, but I wouldn't really want to. :)

I won't tell you she has a 1yo too. They are very frugal and on a tight budget. He is in computers and in a group that is under constant threat of being laid-off. She only goes to the library once every few weeks, only prints off worksheets that will be used or they work on white boards. Her dh is very good with math and they follow a progression of skills instead of a particular publisher's scope-and-sequence. She is very literary, and set the progression of skills for the LA side - from writing to spelling by phonics rules to literary analysis and a focus on classic literature. They make it seems easy - from the outside - because they knew how they wanted to do it before they started.

Well, curriculum junkie that I am, I think I could manage for a year or two with no pinch even. I guess that is cheating, though, huh?

My big problems would be math and grammar. I think I could maybe even pull grammar off, but I would have to find money somewhere to buy the math books!

I have been thinking about this more and more, in this economy. I have been looking at more free stuff and the library and trying to concientiously look at nonconsumables and swapping with friends. Even most of my "build up" has been purchased at used curriculum sales, which we are lucky enough to have in this area several times a year.

Really interesting thread!

I think I would need math, writing, and foreign language. I might get by for a few years without writing. I have been trying to use my money lately on books that I can read aloud now and have my dd read later herself or books that will have use through more than one year. I've quit buying books for her reading since she is a quick reader. I am also looking at things that are reusable so that the younger can use them later on. But I still don't come close to my friend's budget.

I could definitely do next year except for math unless I use my Ray's. Maybe I could stretch out all of the grammar years with copywork and dictation, math and library books?

Well I know I could spend less than I do but I'll be curious to see if they still feel like it can be done without ANY money when that child gets older. I do think high school requires some investment - is she good enough at math to borrow geometry, pre-calc, calc books from the library but not need an answer book (you can't get answer books from the library). What about science labs? Hard to do without any equipment.

So now it's doable. But with older students I think the desire to spend nothing could compromise the education.

Heather

I only have one thing to say to that. God didn't give me the health or brains to pull it together like that woman, so He gave me some money to buy it. More power to her, and I'm thankful for my purchased curriculum.

If I had no money, that would mean my dh was dead and my kid was in school somewhere. Since school costs money, that still wouldn't make sense. It's just a non-issue. That said, like most people here, I'll need to spend LESS money going into this school year, ugh.

we have a killer private library so...

from the library I would get Pimsleur French cd set (great for the car)

check out music cds classical, jazz, blues, etc for music discussion/history/appreciation.Husband, FIL, and MIL are all musicians so piano, guitar,singing etc is covered. History (ie early American history) books on cd like Dear America series, books, and dvds, I would find worksheets online. Free map work online (we have found some good ones) Science books and dvds like The Way things work. Heavy nature study. Bird watching, tracking, tree identifying using field guide books from library. Lang arts using read alouds from library: copy work, dictation, spelling etc. Our library has tons of grammar books and dvds. Poetry books, poet of the month to study. Put up picture of poet (from computer) and 1 piece to memorize. Books on cd. Cursive just working one on one first with letters then copy work done in cursive. Math... well that would be a scary thought! I'm positive though that with some research I could find something that would work well! We would do all the awesome free things that are out there, nature centers, free day at gardens and museums, free programs at library, art galleries, the beach, bird sanctuary and so on. Home Ec. I don't need money to teach the kids how to polish the wood furniture, or how to do a whip stitch. Etiquitte through library books and good example (I hope). And last but not least, art..... books, picture study, instructional dvds and youtube (dd just learned how to finger knit this way/ too bad it can be a slimy place) I set her up on it, and stay with her. Web sites like National Gallery of Art. I could also set my classroom up for free! There is a paint recycling center in my town, to paint the walls, and craigslist free section to find everything else! There are always desks, chairs, plants, books, shelves, and all the fixings! The month that every one is sick (Dec. for us) I would get the free month trial at United Streaming and watch Time Warp Trio until my head explodes:)

I'm well aware that most of the money I spend on curriculum is for my convenience, not for the benefit of my child. I had several years in a row in which we spent about $100 per kid, and it was fine. So, with the internet at my fingertips (assuming we're not counting that as a "homeschooling" expense, but just something we'd have anyway) and a library card, I'd be perfectly capable of providing my child with a superior education for even less. I'd just have to substitute time and creativity for money.

I COULD do it....but I wouldn't do it.

Well, strike that. It depends on the level. I'm thinking, "ds is going into 9th grade!" I could do it well for elementary, though I might not want to; but I wouldn't even consider it for high school.

Also, I have a problem with df's hubby's attitude. It costs parents to send kids to school. It makes sense it would cost to school them at home. I don't think we necessarily have to add the costs that schools incur for each student, of course, but I think it's reasonable to spend at least what you would spend to send them to school. And I could even see a family limiting it to that. I think it's over the top to limit it more than that on principle alone though.

Did you say her oldest was 8? I could easily cover an 8 year old for "free", only buying paper and pencils (colored too). We would focus on math facts, reading and writing. Science and history would be based on the library. I would throw in some German just because I could. I didn't buy anything but art supplies for my youngest til 5th grade, when I just had to try LoF.

It is very possible up to where math needs a textbook (algebra) to make sure I don't forget anything.

Our town dump has a "book shed" where people dump their "garbage" books, and I get to take the ones I want (the entire Saxon set through Advanced Math, Jacob's geometry, tons of Landmarks and more classics than I have room for). :D Makes me less dependent on our library, which focuses on recent releases.

PS How did that unhappy smiley get there?

It would be possible to do for one 8yo, but I don't think I would want to put the time and effort it would take to put it together for my four kids all on different levels. With all the resources on the internet, I'm sure that it could be done with lots of time to pull it together. That being said, if I HAD to do it, I would use:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/

and the library

This link has a list of free homeschool sites in every subject:

http://lotsofkids.com/LOK-Homeschool/Articles/homeschoolpenny.htm

Okay, if I could spend "no" money on school next year (aside from internet access, gas for library trips, paper and ink for the printer, etc.), what would I do?

Let's see. My son will be 11, technically 6th grade level, but ahead of his age in several areas.

Math: I'd go ahead with the Florida Virtual School course we're already planning for next year. Because we're Floridians and registered with our county as homeschoolers, it's free to us. If I didn't have access to that, I'd either use MEP (which has been discussed here before) or use the World Book Typical Course of Study information as an outline and track down instruction and worksheets for each skill.

Edit: Okay, I just checked my local library's online catalogue, and they have about 20 different books and DVDs listed under "algebra." I'm sure I could make it work.

History: Easy. I'd use the encyclopedias and reference books I already have on the shelf as spines and get additional books and DVDs from the library. Toss in some field trips, and we're good to go.

Literature: Again, this one's a cinch. I'd get good books from the libary (or off our shelves at home) and read them with him. I'd pick at least a few for which I could find reading guides for free online. I especially like the Glencoe guides: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

Grammar/Composition: I'd have him write about what he's reading and use online sources for grammar explanations as necessary. This is comfortable territory for me.

Science: Again, there are all kinds of wonderful resources online. Here's one I have bookmarked from a few years ago: http://www.galaxy.net/~k12/ I'd get books and DVDs from the libary about science-related topics and toss in some experiments and field trips.

Foreign Language: I'd have my choice of something from the libary, maybe supplemented with whatever I could find online, or going with FLVS for this one.

Actually, I hate this topic, because it makes me feel guilty for spending what I have spent on next year.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I'm well aware that most of the money I spend on curriculum is for my convenience, not for the benefit of my child. I had several years in a row in which we spent about $100 per kid, and it was fine. So, with the internet at my fingertips (assuming we're not counting that as a "homeschooling" expense, but just something we'd have anyway) and a library card, I'd be perfectly capable of providing my child with a superior education for even less. I'd just have to substitute time and creativity for money.

:iagree:

RockerDad recently told me that we need to ask my nephew what it costs to put his kids in the local public school for 1 year (fees, supplies, lunch money, etc). He thinks it shouldn't cost us more to homeschool one than it does to send two to public school. We will have to homeschool on a tight budget... but there will be a budget.

I reminded him that we do not receive government funding. :lol:

Our town dump has a "book shed" where people dump their "garbage" books, and I get to take the ones I want (the entire Saxon set through Advanced Math, Jacob's geometry, tons of Landmarks and more classics than I have room for).

I never thought of the dump, but our local school district has a surplus warehouse, where they make available books and supplies that the schools are dumping. I got lots of stuff there when my kids were younger.

Of course, it's all books used in public schools, so you have to be selective. However, I often picked up books from which I'd use just a section or two for some specific topic. My daughter did the poetry unit from a literature text, for example. And they each in their turn worked through a very good middle school science text.

I would be able to homeschool for the cost of basic supplies. My budget this year for first grade and K has been around $200, and that includes printer cartridges, which are my biggest expense. I could go cheaper if I had to. With all of the free stuff available, it is certainly do-able, if labor intensive. (Although at the high school level, I am not sure that all free resources would suffice.)

So, if I had no money to spend, what would I use? Let's see ...

1) History ... SOTW from the library, continue with the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia, more supplemental books from the library, free history projects from the internet

2) Math ... I have already purchased my next year of RightStart (for less than half the retail price) so I would use that, but when we finished that I would go with Math Mammoth, which, while not free, is less than $10.

3) Phonics ... finish the ETC workbooks we have (I bought three levels ahead for each kid) and then use a free phonics curriculum someone here linked to online.

4) Science ... continue with books from the library and DK spines that I own

5) Grammar ... I'm already planning to use free grammar books (Sheldon's PLL and ILL) from Google books

6) WWE: I own the textbook, so I have four years of writing instruction already

7) Spanish ... I don't know, I'd have to look around. I think "free Spanish" would be hard.

8) Latin ... same as 7, I'd have to spend some time investigating it.

Tara

I could probably get by (in fact I'm sure I spend way less than most people on this board anyway!) I'd definitely tap into the internet more. It would be a HUGE undertaking and would take TONS of planning on my part! I think I'd also ask at the local public school if I could "borrow" the books for that particular grade year--they do that around here, not sure about anywhere else. I'd also be forced to follow the state standards for IN to be sure I got everything in that needed to be taught. So yes I think it's possible, BUT my time is also valuable, so having a little budget would be nicer than NO budget!

Are there really that many internet resources for older children?

I'd probably do the best I could with the library until 3rd or 4th grade and then put them in school. At some point with absolutely no money spent on curriculum, I think the academic benefit of homeschooling would narrow quite a bit. I think for me, that much preparation would be a recipe for burn-out.

I know I read of a hs study that was done that tracked achievement of hs students and compared the families by factors like family income and amount of money spent on homeschooling. There was a correlation between achievement (scores) and amount of money spent, albeit small.

In elementary I think it is completely possible, and I could do it, but by Junior high or high school I would be less inclined to stick with internet worksheets and need to buy curric. SInce i know what I want to use in those grades I prefer to stick with using purchased curric now as well. Of course the fact my school board pays for it is helpful. If I had no choice I could get by with library books and internet only for my kids right now, but within a year or 2 I would have to go back to buying curric for my older 2.

Sure, again especially if you're willing to put in some hours and be creative. Several (perhaps many?) univerties offer open source materials including lectures (on video) and notes and quizzes and all kinds of stuff for free online. You could certainly use those as the basis for a challenging high school class.

We used some stuff from www.learner.org, too. For one course, I bought a used, older edition of the recommended text online for about $15. My daughter did the readings and watched the videos, and I made up quizzes. It was very good.

My son is doing a free, online algebra course this year from the University of California Open Access site -- http://www.ucopenaccess.org/ . They also have biology and an assortment of AP courses for science, math and history.

What I usually do when I start thinking about designing a course from scratch is to search online for syllabi from high schools for similar courses. I look at how much work is required, what kinds of things they're reading, etc. Then, because I have the luxury to do so, I go buy whatever I think will be comparable. However, if I were on a stricted budget, I'd just start hitting my library and poke around online until I felt sure we had covered the material.

I think I could do it now after hsing for 4 yrs as I have amassed more confidence in my teaching skills. I don't think I would have been able to do this when we had first started. I had no clue as to what I was doing.

Now, I think this can be done for elementary grades but I'm not too sure about highschool. I know that I would not be able to do highschool without TM's, especially math and science.

It doesn't sound as if your friend needs suggestions on where to find things, but there is another site I haven't seen mentioned (unless I've missed it) that would be helpful in educating with free online materials:

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com

If I had to, I would draw from it and Ambleside Online.

LizzyBee or anyone else who knows----what is the yahoo group with the free Latin Book One curriculum?

Thanks!

I will have a 4th and 5th grader and actually most of this is what I am doing next year.

I use Ambleside and if the book is not online or in my library then I find a suitable substitute that is in my library. I only buy books from yard sales, etc. The curriculum I have is bought used at homeschool store (using with credits of what I resale or found in freebie bin). Other than Singapore and Life of Fred, most of my curriculum that I buy covers multiple chidlren for multiple years

Literature: Ambleside readings

Reading: I own DITHOR already so would continue that but assuming I didn't I would just have them read and narrate from Ambleside and Sonlight lists. Book Adventure quizes if applicable and book reports.

Poetry: Ambleside

**Use free discussion guides online and/or narrate

** Audio books of whatever is on list that mj

Composition: Keyword outlines from studies; Nano novelist workbook, free lapbooks from internet. Book reports using Love to Learn website.

Journal Writing

Penmanship: Copwork journal

Typing: Free typing site online

Spelling: Dictation and spelling lists from words missed

Grammar: Taught as it comes up; supplement with mad libs found online and watching School HOuse Rocks on Youtube. Also do games from Skillbuilders Internet for Classrooms.

Vocabulary: Dictionary drills from lists made from readings; Personal dictionary that add one word a day too. Word of the day sites.

Foreign Language: I already own Rosetta Stone -one that has every language that we we're given from one of DH's private school clients so I would continue that for Spanish and Latin. Pretending I didn't have that, I would use youtube spanish lessons, simple books on tape from library, and online sites for library. Not sure how I would do Latin.

Math: I currently use Singapore and it would kill me to give it up but if I had too, I would switch to MEP and use Week by Week essentials and Skillbuilders Internet for Classrooms for supplementary activities.

Logic: this would be harder as I like it systematically taught like with Logic Countdown, etc. but if I could spend no money I would do this:

sudoku, two minute mysteries, playing battleship, hangman, clue, and other online games/board games.

Nature Studies: Ambleside readings, using the online version of handbook and the nature study blog w/ nature journal. Supplement with any scout badge in area of study. They will each also pick out a particular spot to study once a month to observe the yearly changes. Supplement with youtube video clips and lapbooks.

Science: I am planning three units for each 12 week term.

1) Ben Franklin experiment book from library

2) Snap Circuit kit (DS got for Christmas) with manual that comes with it and DH's old school book from the Marines.

3) Gizmos and Gadgets book from library

Health: Scout badge work related to topics we are reading and service projects. Monthly fire and hazard walk around house and fire drill. Both will be reading the book related to their gender w/ discussion (boy's body book or Care of You) from library this coming year.

**Plus any scout badges of interest. I plan to do any patches, etc related to energy and water conservation so that perhaps they will be more conscious of leaving doors open, lights on, water running, etc.

History: Ambleside readings supplemented with a few movie rentals (on family movie nights), video clips from youtube, free lapbooks, and badge work. Timeline from Simply Charlotte Mason

Geography: Map drills with our map of places we read about; work geography puzzles. Read Ambleside readings. Watch travel channel

Current Events: Time for Kids online once a week

Citizenship/Civics: Ambeside's Plutarch reading; Work on badges from scouts and supplement with books from library and free lapbooks.

Art: Drawing in Nature journal, checking out Draw Write Now books from library, crafts

Art Appreciation: Finding pictures on internet and using them as background on computer; discuss once a week. Read about artist online or in library book.

Music Appreciation: Listen to on youtube; Supplement with movies that feature composer. (My kids love to say hey That's Vivaldi).

Religion: Daily bible reading and discussion, online devotions, Awana verses for memory work

PE: Daily exercise and work on different skills via Scout badges

Home-Ec: Kids take turns helping me in kitchen once a week to learn how to cook; lots of chores;

I have a list of free resources (not unit study type but real subjects like history, grammar etc) for all grade levels that I've compiled as I come across them.

I spend money because I am able, and because I see value in the things I buy. But if I *had* to, I'm quite certain I could home school (at least elementary and middle school) with nothing but the internet, a printer, a library (even a mediocre one), pencils and paper. It wouldn't be "ideal", but totally doable.

All that said, I'm sure grateful I don't *have* to do it that way.

I could do it...probably through high school even, with the help of the college library at the school dh teaches at. I wouldn't want to do it that way though! I love buying curricula, homeschooling books, supplies, etc...it would actually take a good chunk of the fun out of it for me to not be able to do that.

There are excellent grammar and composition books for high school on google books that you can download free. You can get lit from the library, and lit guides from Sparknotes or another free site. You can download math books from google books, but you'd have to work all the problems to make your own answer key. You could use Life of Fred with the home companion books which is not free but inexpensive. History and science would be pretty easy to do from the library if you have a decent one, but you'd have to buy lab supplies. There are also some excellent history and science websites. A few thoroughly cover a particular era or subject, but most of it would be piecemeal and require some advance planning.

I'm not saying I'd want to do high school that way, just that it's not impossible.

I have a good friend that is homeschooling a child the same age as my oldest daughter. She has NEVER spent money for homeschool other than pencils and paper, craft supplies, and science supplies. Never spent a penny. Her husband is adamant that it can be done without spending money on it and so far she has. Her son is ahead of grade level in math and reading. He writes as well as any 8yo boy and loves history and science and is learning Japanese. She uses free worksheets from the internet and library books. She hasn't even bought a how-to homeschool book.

Our recent discussions have made me reconsider what I use for homeschool.

How much would your homeschooling methods change if you could not spend money for school? What would you use? Could you homeschool with no money for it?

It was a lot of work, putting together everything on my own. At the time (13 years ago) we were brand new to homeschooling, had a first grader & toddler, and were flat broke. I had been a PS teacher, so I had some children's books and art supplies (paint, chalk, etc.) left over from that. I had some math and reading workbooks and some coloring books, all from the dollar store. We didn't have internet at the time (and didn't really know anyone else who did either). I had friends who still taught in PS who let me borrow extra copies of readers, and we went to the library at least once a week. We read Dr. Seuss and Little Critter and Nate the Great and the Berenstain Bears, and many, many others. We had plastic magnetic letters that we used to practice spelling. Or sometimes we used a MagnaDoodle (gift from grandparents) or a mini chalkboard. We used marbles, plastic milk jug caps, and frozen juice can lids as math manipulatives, and we painted on the sidewalk with water & a paintbrush. Ah, the memories!

Edited by ereks mom

I could absolutely do it, but I don't want to have to do it. I could even homeschool through high school. The only concern would be for math , since I am not particularly strong in that subject and I would feel I need some sort of program.

That said, I go to several used book sales where there is a freebie area, and I would gather things from that. Also, I would use the library. Fortunately , our library system is quite good.

I could use the free Scott Foresman grammar site also. Nature study for science, a dictionary for spelling and vocabulary, library books for social studies.

Also I could homeschool using sources I already have on hand that I have found cheap.:001_smile:

It was a lot of work, putting together everything on my own. At the time (13 years ago) we were brand new to homeschooling, had a first grader & toddler, and were flat broke. I had been a PS teacher, so I had some children's books and art supplies (paint, chalk, etc.) left over from that. I had some math and reading workbooks and some coloring books, all from the dollar store. We didn't have internet at the time (and didn't really know anyone else who did either). I had friends who still taught in PS who let me borrow extra copies of readers, and we went to the library at least once a week. We read Dr. Seuss and Little Critter and Nate the Great and the Berenstain Bears, and many, many others. We had plastic magnetic letters that we used to practice spelling. Or sometimes we used a MagnaDoodle (gift from grandparents) or a mini chalkboard. We used marbles, plastic milk jug caps, and frozen juice can lids as math manipulatives, and we painted on the sidewalk with water & a paintbrush. Ah, the memories!

You know it sounds like a lovely way to homeschool. You get to enjoy the fun things and learn about your new role as teacher mom in a gentle way without spending lots of money that you'll need in the later years when things get hard.

I could do it if I had to. Math, science and foreign language would be the sticky points. However, we are able to receive $300 per semester for dual enrollment in 11th and 12th grades, so perhaps with that we could load up on foreign language, math and science.

I think I would at least try to do it. I would need an internet connection, computer, printer, library card.

I am so glad I don't have to do it that way, but if our budget were to suddenly shrink, I think I could keep going if I had the aforementioned essentials.

We'd need to do some more planning and prep work but that's all.

There is A LOT of elementary resources on the Internet and our local library is great. We've also seen lots of free books available.

Yes, we could homeschool with no money. The only reason we don't is convenience.

This sounds almost identical to how we started out! Wonderful memories, and I just figured I was supposed to figure it out on my own. I didn't have any clue about the various curricula out there (although I don't think there were nearly as many options then, either). I just made up my own little unit studies, used the library, and called it good. And it was. :)

I did check out many different teacher's resource books from the library, to give me ideas for book lists and our other studies. I started out using the 'What your _ grader needs to know' series as a jumping-off point, and later WTM when I saw it in the bookstore. I'm pretty sure I spent less than $150 total for two kids until oldest was in 6th grade, and that was mostly for supplies and math workbooks. It can be done, definitely, without compromising their education. But in the upper elementary years, it started to become A LOT of work, and I started to have some doubts as to gaps and rigor (which I see now were unneccessary fears), so I started buying things that were more ready-made.

I do think that injecting a little bit of our own ideas and putting together things keeps the enthusiasm alive, as long as you do just enough of it (too much, or being forced to, can lead to big time burn out).

• 1 month later...

Yes, we started out that way. I spent under $30 the first 2-3 years for 1 child.

This year I had 3 schooling (K-4th) so I thought I'd need the extra time and invested in more curricula. I spent $100-150 total for all 3 boys. That includes a math book and workbooks, a grammar/writing curriculum, history, and a science program. I didn't need anything for the Kindergartner so all of that money was spent on the 3rd and 4th grader.

I don't count garage sale/library sale finds. I pick those up as they come. I've also received cast-offs from other homeschoolers as we go along and I've passed on things I couldn't use as well. It's a very sharing community. I don't count the new printer/copier we got this year (dh purchased it) or ink. We'd be buying those anyway, even if we would be replacing them much more slowly if we weren't homeschooling. :tongue_smilie:

I think it's fairly easy to do with an 8 year old, and as time goes on I think her dh will feel more invested in the process and be open to more expenses...although maybe not the expenses everyone here puts into their homeschool. That's okay, we're all different.

I often think about things like this. I was just looking at Ambleside online yesterday for book ideas, and was thinking that I really COULD use this, and not have to spend so much money.

It would be harder for the upper grades, especially the upper level math and sciences. But, in all honesty, with all the stuff I have on my shelves, including old college textbooks my dh and I have, I could probably cobble together a pretty decent high school curriculum without spending another penny, or really even going to the library. We may not have a Trig or calculus text in the house, but that's probably about it. Some of the books wouldn't be exactly what I want, but it would be enough.

I am getting better. I used to be quite a curriculum junkie, and spent lots of money on things I didn't really need. But I'm getting better at buying things I can use again, and staying with it. For instance, I'm sure FLL 3 & 4 are wonderful, but I OWN R&S 3 & 4 already and know they do the job. I'm sticking with them.

It's the same with TOG. Omnibus looks good, too. But I have three of the four TOG year plans, I know how it works, and I know I like it. I don't have the time or energy to figure out a new curriculum.

Sorry, I guess I got off the original point. I could do it if I had to.

I won't tell you she has a 1yo too. They are very frugal and on a tight budget. He is in computers and in a group that is under constant threat of being laid-off. She only goes to the library once every few weeks, only prints off worksheets that will be used or they work on white boards. Her dh is very good with math and they follow a progression of skills instead of a particular publisher's scope-and-sequence. She is very literary, and set the progression of skills for the LA side - from writing to spelling by phonics rules to literary analysis and a focus on classic literature. They make it seems easy - from the outside - because they knew how they wanted to do it before they started.

Their kids are blessed!:001_smile: It sounds like they have set up their own curriculum and wouldn't be happy with someone else's anywho! They REALLY should write a book about what they do.

My time is valuable. I dont think all those hours of finding and implementing are free in any way shape or form.

True - not free. However, what a valuable way to spend time, if you have it.

To HS for free, just do say you did it free is silly. I could do it, esp after having read TWTM, CM, and more.... I am pretty thrifty, and do things like buy the RS abacus manual for $8 used rather than buying the entire curric for hundreds of $. That $8 is benefitting my kids greatly.