Menu

Calling all Readers: What's on your Nightstand?

Calling all readers. We haven't done a what's on your nightstand in a while.

So what books are sitting in your tbr pile waiting to be read. What did you finish this month and what did you think about it. What are you planning on reading. How about some pictures. 52 books participants can post at the 52 books blog or link to their blogs.

Everyone else: What are you reading?

A Spot of Brother by Mark Haddon, Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, Shopgirl by Steve Martin. My Dh and I have also been reading aloud to each other bits of The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by John Henry Patterson. I don't recommend reading this many books at once...it makes for strange dreams, but life is short and I love reading.:D

I just started re-reading the entire Chronicles of Narnia series (a friend gave it to me for my birthday Saturday). I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl. I liked it much better than A Rose for the Crown which I started in November and still haven't finished. :glare:

I haven't updated my book a week thing yet. I've read the first four in the Mitch Rapp series, Transfer of Power, Separation of Power, The Third Option and all but the last 3 chapters of Executive Power. I think that is them in order. And I started the first two chapters of The De Vinci Code.

I've read, "The Man Who Was Thursday" and tried to read it a second time, but just couldn't do it. I also read, "The Husband" by Dean Koontz, good book ;) Oh, and a Patricia Cornwell book..... but I forgot the title and if I start digging through the pile of books next to my bed I may not escape... I'm reading, Dean Koontz "Velocity" right now :)

Next month will be "Snow Falling on Cedars" and whatever junk novels I pick up :D

The Great Cat Massacre. This is actually a book about 1750's France. It's quite good if you speak French. The author likes to quote French sayings and not translate a lot.

Notes on a Small Island - Bill Bryson

I'm getting ready to start some more soon, but I haven't picked them out yet.;)

Literally *on my nightstand, or the so-called "to be read" pile that's scattered around my nightstand, dresser, loft railing, desk, coffee table and bookshelf? :tongue_smilie:

Life of Pi, The Hypothyroid Sourcebook, and Many Children Left Behind: How the No Child Left Behind Act is Damaging Our Children and Our Schools are the ones I'm really trying to get to.

I'm reading The Magician's Nephew with the girls, and I've been flipping through Jabberwocky and Other Poems.

I SHOULD be reading my Psychology and Algebra books b/c I keep telling myself I'm going to take the CLEP tests!

I started Fingersmith by Sarah Waters last night and am enjoying it already.

I also have two others that I started but haven't read more than a page or two these past few weeks. Dead as a Scone by Ron Benrey (supposed to be a cozy mystery... it's so cozZzzzy it's putting me to sleep Zzz :closedeyes: and The Darling Buds of May by HE Bates which is little more than lots of eating and lots of Pa saying the word "perfick". )

My TBR pile is my 999 Challenge list, which is posted on the sidebar of my blog. http://marginallyme.blogspot.com www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-330.gif

In progress:

Affair of the Poisons - Somerset

Korsum Pocket - Zetterling

Flashman on the March - Fraser

Stalin and his Hangmen -Rayfield

Beyond the Khyber Pass - Waller

More Guns Less Crime - Lott

In the hopper:

Lost Victories - mannerheim

Eleanor of Aquitaine - Weir

My Grandfather's Son -Thomas

I am currently reading Salt: A World History

I have waiting:

Tender at the Bone

Foreign Correspondence

March

Mornings on Horseback

Banker to the Poor

In Search of Islamic Feminism

Serve the People

This month I read:

Pomegranate Soup- good

The Heretic's Daughter- meh

Driving Over Lemons -great

Persepolis 2- good

The Swallows of Kabul- good

The Hundred Secret Senses- good

Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper- excellent

The Spice Merchant's Daughter- good

Persepolis- great

The Hunger Games- great

Near a Thousand Tables- good

The Joy Luck Club- great

Book of a Thousand Days- good

The Goose Girl- good

I finished reading "Villette" by Charlotte Bronte last week. It was pretty good, but I struggle sometimes to get what the exact point of her novels are.

This morning I finished "Twilight". I had to see what the big deal was about. It seems like it should be a silly teenager book, but it is not. It has an intensity about it that is hard to resist.

My next book will be the next in the Twilight saga, if a friend of mine remembers to bring it to Bible class tomorrow.

I am reading

Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism by Ozoloff

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Stacey MacDonald and Jennie Chancey

When the Brain Can't Hear by Teri Bellis

Esther by Dee Brestin (sunday school bible study)

I have recently read:

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Echo in the Darkness books 1 and 2 by Francine Rivers

Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin

Raising a Sensory Smart Child by by Lindsey Biel

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanne Weaver (sunday school bible study)

On the nightstand, currently reading:

The Chronological Bible

Frankenstein

Tanglewood Tales (aloud)

The Story of Doctor Dolittle (aloud)

On the nightstand, about to begin:

The Man Who Was Thursday

The Good Earth

Pharaohs on Ancient Egypt (aloud)

The Golden Goblet (aloud)

I don't believe in heaven, but if I did, it would be ala Twilight Zone with the guy who survives a nuclear blast at a library. Well, except about the part where he crushes his reading glasses. :(

To have unlimited supply of English language books would be my heaven.

Just finished The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Excellent!

Waiting to be read:

Bellwether by Connie Willis

Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

See You in a Hundred Years by Logan Ward

Wendi

I'm reading:

Dangerous Surrender by Kay Warren

The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton

The Well Educated Mind

Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

To Be Read:

Twilight Series

Same Kind of Different as Me (my church book club)

Bon Appetit by Sandra Byrd

Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza

Don Quixote

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

No pressure or anything :tongue_smilie:

Guest janainaz

I just started A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. My dh read it and was driving me nuts talking about, so I thought I'd read it so I could understand his thoughts.

I also just received in the mail Fearless Living by Rhonda Britten. That one's next.

I don't believe in heaven, but if I did, it would be ala Twilight Zone with the guy who survives a nuclear blast at a library. Well, except about the part where he crushes his reading glasses. :(

Yes, that was a sobering episode!

To have unlimited supply of English language books would be my heaven.

I enjoy that type of book, too. I just finished

Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style by Arthur Plotnik.

Other books read recently include:

1001 Books for Every Mood: A Bibliophile's Guide to Unwinding, Misbehaving, Forgiving, Celebrating, Commiserating by Hallie Ephron -- a great source for new books to read!

Lulu in Marrakech by Diane Johnson -- I read this for my book group but found it only ho-hum

I'm finishing, and enjoying, Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra, Book 4) by Michelle Sagara

Just brought home from the library: The Imperfect Homeschooler's Guide to Homeschooling: A 20-Year Homeschool Veteran Reveals How to Teach Your Kids, Run Your Home and Overcome the Inevitable Challenges of the Homeschooling Life by Barbara Frank

and Susan Wise Bauer's The Art of the Public Grovel: Sexual Sin and Public Confession in America

Regards,

Kareni