Menu

Book-A-Week in 2009: Week 0 Update

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to join in but I feel as though I can't because I started the Iliad a couple of weeks ago and I know I'll never get it finished in a week.

I'm reading 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madeleine d'Engle so I can discuss it with my children and also the last of the 'What Katy Did' series - 'In the High Valley', and 'The Magician's Nephew', all for school so I don't suppose any of those count.

Okay, I wasn't going to take the challenge because I really don't know if I'll be able to keep up, but I love to read and so I'm going to at least give it a try. Our library is closed for the Christmas holiday (yes, for a full 2 weeks!) so I've just grabbed The Grace Awakening by Charles Swindoll off my shelf for my first book. I haven't read it in years and could probably do with a reminder.

This sounds like fun, I'm game!

The books I will be reading from this week are:

Dead as a Scone - Ron Benrey

Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz

Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

Whichever is finished first will be this week's book. :)

Happy reading everyone. www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-330.gif

Guest Virginia Dawn

I wish I had started my year with something more notable. Someone lent me Nicholas Sparks' Message in a Bottle. I'm halfway through, thinking it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Maybe I should quit and pick up something else. :-P

Hey Gang,

I've set up a 52 books in 52 weeks group blog where you may post reviews and get ideas for more books. click here to see it. For those who want to be a contributor, email me with your email address and I will add you. Then you will be able to post reviews. Good thing for those who don't have blogs or don't want to post book reviews on their home school blogs.

Any suggestions for links to book lists and/or suggestions to what you would like to see on the site will be appreciated. It's a work in progress.

All lurkers will be welcome so bookmark the site to find out what everyone is reading and what they think about their books.

Robin of My Two Blessings.

For those of you who want to join but don't think you can keep up with the average of one book a week ... I'm there with you.

My plan is to keep a short book on hand (ex: Of Mice and Men is 107pgs.) OR read some children's lit.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by PollyOR

Hey Gang,

I've set up a 52 books in 52 weeks group blog where you may post reviews and get ideas for more books. click here to see it. For those who want to be a contributor, email me with your email address and I will add you. Then you will be able to post reviews. Good thing for those who don't have blogs or don't want to post book reviews on their home school blogs.

Any suggestions for links to book lists and/or suggestions to what you would like to see on the site will be appreciated. It's a work in progress.

All lurkers will be welcome so bookmark the site to find out what everyone is reading and what they think about their books.

Robin of My Two Blessings.

Thanks Robin! I emailed you.

Waves of Grain: How to buy, store and cook every imaginable grain by Barbara Grunes and Virginia Van Vynckt

I am going to get a grain mill for my after Christmas present and I want to know how to use it!

Jenne in CA

Edited by JenneinAZ
BarbarA

okay, I'm in - I just started to re-read A Mother's Rule of Life this afternoon, so I guess that will be my first book. Guess I will have to dig up a few good novels I have been wanting to read!

I love this book! I need to reread it but I lent my copy to somebody!

I didn't get to the library before New Year's Day like I had planned, but while discussing this at my mom's that day I mentioned that I wanted to read My Antonia. She didn't have that, but she did have a Willa Cather collection with three other novels and some short stories. We were too busy yesterday for me to read at all, but I read three chapters of O, Pioneers this morning. This was another book I'd determined to read, and I'm already enjoying it so much.

Wolf Boy by Evan Kuhlman. I began/finished this remarkable book. It jumped off the shelf at me on Wednesday at he library and thought it would a fun read. Well, it wasn't fun but it was well written, IMO. It's about a grieving family after the eldest son is suddenly killed. I hope to hear more from this author.

Next book is Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. Read the second book in the series last week and am waiting for this book, the first, from the library.

You guys are giving me some great suggestions. I'm into the lighter side of reading right now but cycle into classics/deeper reading every other month or so.

I still haven't started wicked yet. But I will this weekend.

Side question regarding 52 books in 52 weeks blog: For those of you with blogs, if you are going to do reviews on your sites - would you like me to post links from the group blog. I can put participant blogs links in the sidebar. On Fridays will do a weekly post linking to your reviews.

Also if you all have any suggestions for the blog for other links or a weekly wrap up or whatever, let me know.

Robin