Menu

Would you do this?

DawnM

Previous me would have not hesitated, but old and tired me hesitates.   Maybe some of it is fear of failure?   Not sure.

About 5 years ago I decided to get my National Board Certification.  It is a grueling process that can take anywhere from 1 year to 3 years depending on how much you care to accomplish in a year.

I did about 1/3 of it and quit.   Why did I quit?   Well, my mom died.   Then my dad moved in with me and needed care, and I got a new kid, and I had deal with fostering and his birth mother and her crazy.   Then Covid was happening.   I just couldn't do it.

But now, I feel more centered and ready to possibly tackle this.   I will have to start over though, they only save your progress for 3 years.

Why?   Well, I will get an additional $9-$10K per year that will be calculated in my salary for retirement, making my retirement higher for one thing, and just the money itself.   And it is prestigious and would look good if I ever care to try to find another job.

But it is a LOT of time/energy.   Kind of like going back to school.   I think I need to budget about 30 hours per section (4 sections) minimum but I think with my current job, which is far more independent, I can build an hour or 90 min. into my day to work on it AT WORK.

I should do this, right?   If I work another 10 years, that is $10k and a boost to retirement for life.

ETA: Chasing the amounts, I was way off....but it is still beneficial IMO.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

Yes, definitely! There are next to no ways to get a raise in public education other than board certification. 

It would be great if you could dedicate some at-work time to working on it. 

I'll follow along on your journey because I've been interested in this, too. 

• Like 5

4 sections at 30 hours each is 120 hours. If that translates into a total gain of 150k, that's over * one thousand* bucks per hour you put in, not counting the additional retirement. 

Absolutely worth it. And doing it during your at-work time??? You won't even lose your free time.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

4 sections at 30 hours each is 120 hours. If that translates into a total gain of 150k, that's over * one thousand* bucks per hour you put in, not counting the additional retirement. 

Absolutely worth it. And doing it during your at-work time??? You won't even lose your free time.

I am estimating, it may take double that, but heck, still great bang for my buck!

And yes, I can definitely do most of the writing and studying during school.   

I am considering signing up for a cohort, which will be evenings, but should really help.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

With these lifelong returns and no free time lost, it seems to be a no-brainier.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, I am relooking at this, it isn't 15K.   I think they have lowered the percentage...it is around 9k.   Not horrible, but not as much as I thought.   But that is over 10% of a raise, so.....

Edited by DawnM

Ok, I have emailed the person in charge of the Cohort, the same one I was in 5 years ago and dropped out.   That professor is amazing.  It is through Washington State Univ. but I can't find one on the East Coast, so I will have to stick with that one.   Funny, since I went to undergrad in Washington State (but a different college.)

I will keep you posted on the response.

• Like 2

Yes, I would do it, that seems like a lot of benefit for the investment.

For me, I need to remember to balance all of my commitments.  Some times life thrusts upon us challenges we do not welcome (like the death or illness of a family member), but I was previously prone to taking on "good" things that weren't the most "important" things.  Guard your time and energy well. These next several months aren't likely going to be the best time to take on extensive house projects, a puppy, huge kid commitments, etc. It's ok to do everything in its own season--and this seems worthy of being made a huge priority. 

• Like 3

I believe I would do it.

In my field, I am required to do a minimum of 40 continuing education hours per year anyway (or lose my licenses), so I'm used to that.  A little more some months, a little less other months.  It's great if you can use some of your work time on this.

• Like 1

Bleh, I don't know. If you can do it during your work time that could be ok. About fifteen years ago (geez, maybe it was more like 20) when I worked for the schools, I asked a colleague what it was like. She said "Well, it was easier than my brain surgery, but harder than my breast cancer". I was out. Went for my Masters instead.

• Haha 1

I personally am not keen to take on new challenges with full time work (my job is inherently always more than full time) and still a child at home whom, while I don’t homeschool, I do take a passing interest in her education. I’m just too tired/don’t have the hunger/ bandwidth.

as an example, I have to take the bar in another state because my husband needs to move there for a job and it’s best we don’t live on opposite coasts. I am furious and kicking and screaming about this. But I have to, otherwise I could not work at all in this state (and it’s a state issue). So let’s just say I’m not cheerfully taking on the challenge. On the other hand, if you find the time and energy, and happen to complete it, then that’s great. What’s the opportunity cost? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

as an example, I have to take the bar in another state because my husband needs to move there for a job and it’s best we don’t live on opposite coasts. I am furious and kicking and screaming about this. 

I'm so, so sorry. I'm looking at the same thing....and seriously contemplating working as a paralegal instead because it is so dang overwhelming. My sincere hugs go out to you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I personally am not keen to take on new challenges with full time work (my job is inherently always more than full time) and still a child at home whom, while I don’t homeschool, I do take a passing interest in her education. I’m just too tired/don’t have the hunger/ bandwidth.

as an example, I have to take the bar in another state because my husband needs to move there for a job and it’s best we don’t live on opposite coasts. I am furious and kicking and screaming about this. But I have to, otherwise I could not work at all in this state (and it’s a state issue). So let’s just say I’m not cheerfully taking on the challenge. On the other hand, if you find the time and energy, and happen to complete it, then that’s great. What’s the opportunity cost? 

Oof I forgot you had to do this. But is it the shorter one given your years of experience? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Oof I forgot you had to do this. But is it the shorter one given your years of experience? 

It’s the shorter one. I’m still too old for this crap. I actually just found out, I intended to work out of our NY office and some states do allow that but not your lovely state. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, I would do it, that seems like a lot of benefit for the investment.

For me, I need to remember to balance all of my commitments.  Some times life thrusts upon us challenges we do not welcome (like the death or illness of a family member), but I was previously prone to taking on "good" things that weren't the most "important" things.  Guard your time and energy well. These next several months aren't likely going to be the best time to take on extensive house projects, a puppy, huge kid commitments, etc. It's ok to do everything in its own season--and this seems worthy of being made a huge priority. 

Right.   That is why I didn't finish it 5 years ago.   I tried.   I still have quite a bit of my notes, initial write ups, etc....and I even did my video lesson, and hope to still use it and not have to do it over again.

DH is on board and says I will regret it if I don't do it, I already feel a twinge of regret for not buckling down during Covid to finish it, but it is what it is.

13 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I would do it even if only for the higher retirement benefit.

Yes, and NC has an interesting thing where you can take a lower monthly amount in retirement and leave the rest to your children to receive for the remainder of their lives!   I am 100% planning to do that.   So, for example, in rough calculations (not my real numbers), if I were to receive $2,000/mo in retirement, I can opt to take only $1,500, but then when I die, my 4 kids will split that $1,500 for the remainder of their lives.   It isn't a huge amount split 4 ways, but it would certainly help buy groceries or pay for utilities or something for them.

That amount will go up with my salary increase, they take the last 4 years of your salary to calculate your retirement amount.   So, as long as I have the national boards payment for 4 years, I will be good.

My CA retirement doesn't have that, the beneficiary in CA has to be within 10 years of your age.  There may be a stipulation in there for spouses that are more than 10 years different in age, but I didn't look at that.   I think it is just to prevent leaving it to your children.

10 hours ago, Wishes said:

Bleh, I don't know. If you can do it during your work time that could be ok. About fifteen years ago (geez, maybe it was more like 20) when I worked for the schools, I asked a colleague what it was like. She said "Well, it was easier than my brain surgery, but harder than my breast cancer". I was out. Went for my Masters instead.

I already have Master's Pay, this would be on top of that.   

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It isn’t an easy yes for me. How much is enough?

What do you mean?   How much time?  How many degrees/awards?   How much money?

If it is money, Rockefeller was asked how much was enough and he replied, "Just a little bit more."   🤣

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I hear you.   However, that is why I am saying I can build it into my day during working hours as much as possible.

The test/papers are in 4 sections.   Each section cost $500, so a total of $2,000.   

I completed and passed one section but have to do it over again as it is not valid anymore.   BOOO.

The district used to reimburse you if you passed, but I think that is no longer a thing.

The $2,000 does not include the beach rentals I will need for complete solitude to do my work......hahahahaha.

I am sorry about your needing to take the bar in another state.   Mine was not so big, but when we moved out of CA I had to jump through a bunch of hoops that took months to finish (including classes and a thesis to write) in order to be a school counselor in another state.   

Edited by DawnM

Don’t let yourself feel guilt over what was happening during Covid… you more than had your hands full! 

Did your sister pop her head up, or did whatever family member looking for her calm down? 

• Like 1

Just now, Katy said:

Don’t let yourself feel guilt over what was happening during Covid… you more than had your hands full! 

Did your sister pop her head up, or did whatever family member looking for her calm down? 

Oh no, she will never calm down, she does disappear for a while.   She lives on the streets in CA and posts all kinds of nasty things about me, uses phones to call and leave me nasty messages, calls the police on me at all hours, and will never calm down.

She is most likely schizophrenic, sees people who aren't there, and they tell her things....like that I am abusing Andrew, etc....She was diagnosed 25 years ago with Bipolar, but I honestly thing that is not the right diagnosis.    She is also on METH, which doesn't help.

In fact, she just posted on FB that she is sure I am hurting him and she will kill all of us.   

• Sad 4

I’ve been looking  into it too, but my district only pays an extra $2,000 per year for having it and I’m not sure it’s worth it. I have another 13 years to teach.  I’m usually up for a challenge but have been getting mine through extra Science PD which is what I’m most passionate about. Just parenting and adulting seems like enough of a challenge many days.

As a special Ed teacher, I’d have to do all of the work for it outside of my contract hours. If you can get parts done while you’re at work- go for it!

Good luck!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’ve been looking  into it too, but my district only pays an extra $2,000 per year for having it and I’m not sure it’s worth it. I have another 13 years to teach.  I’m usually up for a challenge but have been getting mine through extra Science PD which is what I’m most passionate about. Just parenting and adulting seems like enough of a challenge many days.

As a special Ed teacher, I’d have to do all of the work for it outside of my contract hours. If you can get parts done while you’re at work- go for it!

Good luck!

Getting it done outside of working hours used to be my only option as well.   The current job I have does seem to have a little more wiggle room, but that is largely due to me streamlining my work.   I am not naturally super organized, but I try to find what others do and pick and choose what will work for me and so far, it has in this particular job.

Yeah, $2k is not a lot, I guess the only thing that would be helpful is that it is a salary increase, and not a bonus or extra that won't count towards retirement.   But it is at least $2k to even get the darn thing!

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, $2k is not a lot, I guess the only thing that would be helpful is that it is a salary increase, and not a bonus or extra that won't count towards retirement.   But it is at least $2k to even get the darn thing!

Oh our retirement is based on our final salary so it would equal an increase in retirement too- just not as much as yours 😉

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Oh our retirement is based on our final salary so it would equal an increase in retirement too- just not as much as yours 😉

I get it.   Everywhere is so different.

I just had a conversation with DH saying I really need to go back to LAUSD for 3 years so I can retire with their health insurance package.   The one we have here is not so great.

I, too, am considering this as I start a new public school job yet again.  I am a school librarian and have finally ended up back in a primary school.  It would mean $5K a year for me, I think.  

• Like 2

So.....I have contacted the professor at WSU about joining the cohort.  

Apparently it is a 2 year deal and not one year.  And the first year is the test and the easiest component.   

I really don't need help with the test, I aced it previously (ace being relative, but I did fairly well), and don't want to work with a cohort on that.

But I am not sure I can do all of it without some help.

Debating what to do......do the cohort and take 2 years or plow through by myself and try to do it in one?

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

So.....I have contacted the professor at WSU about joining the cohort.  

Apparently it is a 2 year deal and not one year.  And the first year is the test and the easiest component.   

I really don't need help with the test, I aced it previously (ace being relative, but I did fairly well), and don't want to work with a cohort on that.

But I am not sure I can do all of it without some help.

Debating what to do......do the cohort and take 2 years or plow through by myself and try to do it in one?

Cohort—it makes a big difference to have some buddies along the way.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Cohort—it makes a big difference to have some buddies along the way.

I just wish it were one year instead of two.  I did not realize it was a 2 year thing.

2 hours ago, pinball said:

How?

My job right now is not the same as the job I had previously.  I do a lot of it independently.  I have it down to a science now and usually have about a 35-40 min. lunch and then have wiggle room to build in some study time.  If I just add to my lunch hour, I think I can make it happen.   It remains to be seen of course, but I seemed to have some down time last year (SHHHH, do not tell or they will give me more work and my colleagues will be mad because they will be given more work!).  

Now that I have had time to think, maybe stretching it out over 2 years is better anyway, it lessens the stress and will allow me to still do things I want to do time-wise, while doing this a little slower.

DH says I should do the cohort and do 2 years.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Now that I have had time to think, maybe stretching it out over 2 years is better anyway, it lessens the stress and will allow me to still do things I want to do time-wise, while doing this a little slower.

I was thinking this too. It may take longer but since you still have a young child and young adult son who is high needs this may be the way to not want to cry every day

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I was thinking this too. It may take longer but since you still have a young child and young adult son who is high needs this may be the way to not want to cry every day

I plan to retire in 6 years at the earliest, but most likely in 10 (for full health benefits).   As long as I get the higher salary for the last 4 years of my career, I can get it counted for retirement.   I just feel old and wanted the max years, but honestly, I need to slow down, I haven't had it this long, I can survive an additional year.   Heck, I wasn't even going to do it, so it is a bonus.

I need to see. how to calculate the bump to my retirement, not only will I get the benefit, by my kids will, for life.....

Just played with the calculator.   These aren't the end result numbers, but I put in an estimate of what I should make by 2035.

Scenario One: I take the full $2,700/mo for 25 years, leaving none to the kids.   $810,000

Scenario Two:  I take the lower amount with my kids as beneficiaries (2,000/mo).   I receive $600,000 in the course of 25 years, and then THEY receive $600,000 for their additional 25 years.   Totaling $1,200,000

Of course these are just very rough estimates, but the net yield is much higher and my kids can benefit.  Win-Win.

Edited by DawnM

11 hours ago, DawnM said:

what's the benefit of the cohort? Can you still work at your own pace and have the cohort for moral support, or will you be forced to work in lockstep with the others? If it's the former, maybe useful. If it's the latter, I absolutely wouldn't want to give up my freedom to work as it fits MY schedule.

Edited by regentrude

15 minutes ago, regentrude said:

what's the benefit of the cohort? Can you still work at your own pace and have the cohort for moral support, or will you be forced to work in lockstep with the others? If it's the former, maybe useful. If it's the latter, I absolutely wouldn't want to give up my freedom to work as it fits MY schedule.

It is basically a class that takes you step by step through the process.  You turn in your work and she goes over it and critiques it.  It is not an easy process at all.   It isn't like a class with a syllabus and some creative thought.  

She teaches exactly what they are looking for, gives examples, then gives "homework" and you turn it in for her feedback.

The passing rate is significantly higher with her program.   

It can fit my schedule.  The classes are once every 2 weeks, for 2 hours.   It will be 7-9 every other Tue for 8 sessions.   

I have started it before with her and paid for one of the classes and it was very helpful.   

I have not found any other programs like hers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

It is basically a class that takes you step by step through the process.  You turn in your work and she goes over it and critiques it.  It is not an easy process at all.   It isn't like a class with a syllabus and some creative thought.  

She teaches exactly what they are looking for, gives examples, then gives "homework" and you turn it in for her feedback.

The passing rate is significantly higher with her program.   

It can fit my schedule.  The classes are once every 2 weeks, for 2 hours.   It will be 7-9 every other Tue for 8 sessions.   

I have started it before with her and paid for one of the classes and it was very helpful.   

I have not found any other programs like hers.

Dawn- is your cohort program for counselors specifically, or open to all types of educators? I’d love a cohort leader like that to guide me through the process!

On 7/24/2024 at 6:07 AM, DawnM said:

Yes, and NC has an interesting thing where you can take a lower monthly amount in retirement and leave the rest to your children to receive for the remainder of their lives!   I am 100% planning to do that.   So, for example, in rough calculations (not my real numbers), if I were to receive $2,000/mo in retirement, I can opt to take only $1,500, but then when I die, my 4 kids will split that $1,500 for the remainder of their lives.   It isn't a huge amount split 4 ways, but it would certainly help buy groceries or pay for utilities or something for them.

That amount will go up with my salary increase, they take the last 4 years of your salary to calculate your retirement amount.   So, as long as I have the national boards payment for 4 years, I will be good.

My CA retirement doesn't have that, the beneficiary in CA has to be within 10 years of your age.  There may be a stipulation in there for spouses that are more than 10 years different in age, but I didn't look at that.   I think it is just to prevent leaving it to your children.

In Florida (at least in the older version of the plan I was in) you can do that for a spouse but not a child. We opted not to because dh worked longer and made more than I did anyway. It was better for us to just take all of my retirement. Ours is based on your last 5 years of your salary.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

In Florida (at least in the older version of the plan I was in) you can do that for a spouse but not a child. We opted not to because dh worked longer and made more than I did anyway. It was better for us to just take all of my retirement. Ours is based on your last 5 years of your salary.

I can't do it with my California retirement either, only in NC.  It is a nice perk.   In CA they say you cannot leave it to anyone more than 10 years your junior.

And yes, I do plan to take all of my CA retirement, as we are in a similar situation, DH makes more than I do and has a nice retirement he set up himself.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I can't do it with my California retirement either, only in NC.  It is a nice perk.   In CA they say you cannot leave it to anyone more than 10 years your junior.

And yes, I do plan to take all of my CA retirement, as we are in a similar situation, DH makes more than I do and has a nice retirement he set up himself.

I think the city of Nashville allows you to leave a pension to a child as well.