Menu

Deleted

Simple, consumable gifts.  My kids love wooden objects to paint with acrylic craft paint.  Or markers and those nice thick coil-bound sketchbooks from Target's store brand.

A few beloved read-aloud books.

Bubbles and sidewalk chalk. Jump ropes if they're older.  Scooters.

Maybe a balance board or other fun physical toys.

Your favorite kid board games.

Small loveys or stuffed animals.

• Like 3

I think it would depend on their current age range.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably bring a small gift that connected me to them - a book I enjoyed at their age, an age-appropriate version of a craft I do, a kit to make friendship bracelets with each other, a game we could play together.

I want to try to build a deeper connection into the gift so they felt more like they knew me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A book with a note from you written inside? 
Recipes that you fix for your family? (Maybe not your moms recipes, but something handwritten of yours)

pretty stationary and address books for sending letters back and forth?

• Like 1

This is a really nice post, thank you for sharing it and I hope it all goes peacefully. You are such a loving and accepting sister! Agree with art supplies, love the stationary idea so they can write to you.

• Like 5

I like the idea of classic books that *you* loved as a child - you can tell them so, and after you've left they'll have something to remind them of your visit and help them understand you/connect to you a little bit more.  And maybe a game you enjoy as @wathe suggested, and/or some nice quality art supplies too, in the event they're not big readers.

You're a good sister, and it's totally understandable to be nervous and overthinking, and I hope it goes well. Holding you both in the light.

• Like 4

There is a somewhat unusual book about weaving called 'Kids Weaving' by Sarah Swett that is nice for that age, and not entirely girly.  I think that that and maybe some of the materials for the first few projects would give you something fun to do with them and to remember you by.  

Also, that's a great age for a flower press.  

There are some good, funny, older read alouds that they would enjoy hearing now and probably enjoy reading to themselves later on--"Half Magic", "Ben and Me", and "The 21 Balloons".  "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" might be another good one.  

• Like 1

I do love the idea of "this was my favorite book at your age."  But since my most beloved books were generally not hits with my younger sibs or my kids, I would also bring something crafty or artsy, since they can express their own personalities with such items.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...