Menu

S/o s/o

Ausmumof3

What small extravagances or indulgences do you have that really feel worth it to you? 

I have a couple.

During a really stressful and difficult time last year I grabbed a NYT games subscription - it was a good deal at the time and I got 12 months worth. I’ve definitely got my money’s worth out of it. I love the new games they come up with from time to time and it really helps me destress having a few minutes to push my brain to do something slightly but not impossibly challenging.

MCT for writing.  This is ridiculously expensive and I could achieve the requirements for writing much more affordably. But it has made all the difference for my kids actually finally understanding parts of speech- and even I have gained a lot of clarity about how clauses and phrases work.  I only have the e versions though I’d love to own the physical books.

What are yours?

• Like 8

Massages. I have started booking massages three times a semester, at the end of the three most stressful weeks. It feels so good.
(I feel very stressed in exam weeks because of the logistics of being responsible for 500 students, and the subsequent grading night when we grade all 500 exams leaves my shoulders tense and cramped and painful.)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

Nice kitchen knives.  I found a Wusthof on sale about 8 years ago from their higher end line.  It was a game changer.  We've added two more over the years in other sizes, choosing only what we would use most often.  It's actually made cooking more enjoyable and satisfying.

My other would be good pens.  Dh and I each have ones we prefer and they're definitely not Bic. I like a nice medium gel pen and he prefers an thin, spidery ink. It makes it easy to tell whose is whose and not have them go running off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I buy hair and face products that I really like, and work well for my hair and skin. They can get pricey, I’m sure I could have clean hair and a clean, moisturized face for less, but I like my stuff. I spend extra on make up that makes me extra happy, too.

We have housekeepers come every other week. They. Are. Awesome. 

NYT — I love, love, love NYT Cooking. We only added it to our subscription recently, and it feels like I’m getting away with something when I use it. Love it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Nice kitchen knives.  I found a Wusthof on sale about 8 years ago from their higher end line.  It was a game changer.  We've added two more over the years in other sizes, choosing only what we would use most often.  It's actually made cooking more enjoyable and satisfying.

My other would be good pens.  Dh and I each have ones we prefer and they're definitely not Bic. I like a nice medium gel pen and he prefers a thin, spidery ink. It makes it easy to tell whose is whose and not have them go running off.

Oh yes to the pens!!! I love my sharpie gel pens. I have never had great handwriting and they make a massive difference. I don’t think I have great pressure control so having a really smooth flowing ink is awesome.

I kind of justify them as a work expense though - I buy nice whiteboard markers, sharpies and erasable pens for work - they make a big difference for my students as well. I do wait for the post back to school clearance or half price sales and stock up though, rather than paying full price.

• Like 3

I like massages too.  I try to get one on my birthday (but I missed some years thanks to Covid and other constraints).  Maybe I should get them more often.

I can't really think of much else that I'm actually doing / using right now.  I would like to get back to TKD soon, and that would qualify as an indulgence, I guess.  I paid a one-time family fee that covers classes up until each of us is a master.  Other than that, I only have to pay for belt tests or (optional) camps.  For me, I'm paid up for at least 6 years of classes, so my issue is finding time.  "Me time" feels like an extravagance.

I love a walk in the park.  It's free, but again, "me time."

My laser eye surgery - though I did it almost 18 years ago - I still enjoy the benefits.  It took me a long time to stop identifying as a legally blind person.  😛

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

What small extravagances or indulgences do you have that really feel worth it to you?

Our Bark Box subscription. I’m just as happy as my dog when it gets here! (My other dog is weird and has no interest in toys.)

Our Apple Music subscription.

• Like 3

Cleaning services and gardener, although these services are quite common to have here.

Annual subscription of Otter.ai for my financial coaching side-hussle/ post corporate retirement job. I could take the notes manually, but this saves a lot of time.

Curly-girl cut every quarter.  I need to drive about 90 minutes to the city for this and its way more expensive than a local (small town) cut, but so worth it.  I also buy salon products when I'm there.

Manicure and pedicure for special occasions.

Eating out doesn't quite fit into the grocery thread.  We do so about twice a year, preferring to entertain at home with barbeques or cooking for a small group of friends.  I might meet a friend for a coffee more often.

ETA:  While Dh was in hospital, I drank a daily takeaway cappuccino and I'm happy those aren't easily accessible here as I'd be so tempted.  I spent a fortune!

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 2

We eat out at least twice a week. It helps save a wee bit of my mental health. By all accounts I'm a very good cook, but I don't enjoy cooking or shopping for ingredients. I do it because we have to eat. I'd much rather have someone else do it for me.

I get my hair trimmed every three weeks. I could stretch it to four or five, but it would be shaggy enough that it would really bother me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We also have Wusthof knives and have added to the collection over the years.  They are carefully stored and regularly sharpened.  At the other end of the scale I like to buy small Solingen (a German manufactured) vegetable knives.  For a long time they were not available here and I had to stock up any time we went to Europe or someone visited.  About a dollar each, but with the added cost of flights LOL. 

Edited by Hannah
I really should check auto correct before sending
  • Like 2

Spotify subscription so I don't have to listen to ads.

Organic Swiss water-processed decaf coffee. I rarely have much caffeine because it makes me jittery, but I LOVE coffee. I feel better having this for decaf, and it's yummy coffee. 

• Like 4

I thought of another one, just because I started washing it all this morning:

Appropriate sports gear.

It makes me sick to think how much money our child is wearing at any given time, but as he's gotten older we've made sure that protective gear is rather high end, even if we do have to wait for sales on it.  Skates that are molded on to his feet and regular fittings so there's much less worry of 'Bauer bumps'. Well made chest protector.  Top of the line helmet that can be tailored to fit his head.  A neck protector he will actually wear.  Things that make the difference between a hit being bad or being, okay, we can deal with it.

• Like 4

On the days when I have to go to the office rather than working from home, I buy myself a coffee.

Taking our kids out for nice meals when we are together. 

Getting the dog groomed - I could do it myself but I don't. 

Paying for fitness opportunities when I could work out at home.  Currently that's a swimming membership. 

Not thinking about petrol costs when I want to go to the Highlands to hike.

• Like 3

Streaming services:   HBO, Netflix, UTubeTV, Hulu, Disney+

Coffee:   Life is too short to drink bad coffee

Eating Out:  I have a standing date with a friend on Fri after work.   It is usually not very cheap.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We eat out at least twice a week. It helps save a wee bit of my mental health. By all accounts I'm a very good cook, but I don't enjoy cooking or shopping for ingredients. I do it because we have to eat. I'd much rather have someone else do it for me.

This would probably be me IF we had better restaurant options near us. I *hate* cooking, but like eating, so I’m always growing as a cook, but I don’t find all that much joy in the act itself.

I also don’t enjoy driving over a half hour each way for non-special food at special food prices. We’ll occasionally hit a local restaurant for pretty decent food, but it costs an arm and a leg. Last night was Wawa delivery because I was SO not in the mood to cook that I didn’t even care if it was crappy food.

But, yeah, mostly cooking at home is a necessity. Blah.

• Like 3

Me: a pedicure a few times a year, Close Reads Patreon and a few webinars from the House of Humane Letters

House: beeswax candles, nice soap

Family: streaming (PBS Passport, Amazon Unlimited, Disney+), occasional meals out

• Like 3

Splurge/treat for me and Dh:

Ds goes to summer camp and on youth group trips. Win/win! He has fun and gets good teaching and community, while we get a break from this VERY intense, challenging kid! 

• Like 3

SO and I try to get Chinese takeout about every other weekend. Most of the time we eat pretty frugally. 

I splurged on new pillows recently. They have the cresent-shaped cutout at the bottom. They're good for side sleepers. I've found them to be very helpful. 

• Like 4

I forgot about the weekly art class that I started recently.  The lessons are very reasonable (about US$ 2.50 per hour), but I've really gone to town on some of the supplies!

• Like 1

Eating out at least once a week is definitely a splurge compared to the two years we basically locked down for Covid and I cooked everything. 

The robot vacuum makes me insanely happy. I should’ve gotten one years ago. Also my curly girl cuts are super expensive but it makes such a difference and looks good longer when growing out. 

• Like 1

I just realized one this week.  YouTube premium.  It's $139/year and worth it to avoid the annoying, loud, badly-placed ads, and to enjoy "Youtube Music," which keeps track of my favorites.  The fact that I take time to listen to Youtube podcasts while playing Sudoku or 2048 is the bigger luxury though.

• Like 1