Menu

If we changed username, would we still be identifiable to each other?

Another thread got me thinking. When board members change their username, sometimes it's still really obvious who they are. Other times, not so much.

So, I'm wondering what our identifiable characteristics would be?  I think it would be a mix of writing style and also topics discussed.

I think that no matter what my username is, I'd still be somewhat recognisable as me because I always:

- join topics about Australia

- post photos of my wildlife

- join topics about accelerated education and early uni pros and cons

- use dot points

- use my favourite emoji 

🌻

• Like 8

I don't know if I'd be super memorable.   I think I'm the only regular poster in New Jersey so that would help.  Also running a science center, and my signature would probably be a clue. 

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to pick out Regentrude, Dmmetler, and Ktgrok even if their names changed.  A couple others I may suspect but would probably not be certain.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I don't know if I'd be super memorable.   I think I'm the only regular poster in New Jersey so that would help.  Also running a science center, and my signature would probably be a clue. 

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to pick out Regentrude, Dmmetler, and Ktgrok even if their names changed.  A couple others I may suspect but would probably not be certain.  

I don't think I'm particularly memorable or interesting or anything, but I've realised that I'm likely pretty predictable.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have never been successful in this.

I'm not either.  I have a tough time keeping certain users straight already.  If anyone changed, I'd be completely lost.  I'm already impressed with members who really seem to know people so well here (and I feel guilty that I don't).  But I'm in awe of those who figure out people's new names!  

7 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

You could just do a search for “Can I get the recipe for that?” And then you’d find me.

LOL

I don't think anyone would figure it out if I changed. There are very few things I post here that would be unique or memorable enough and I don't think I have a strong personality/presence.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, pinball said:

Earlier this week, right here on this forum someone claimed *I know who you are* about me.

It was seriously creepy and it felt like a threat. 

I have had people threaten me as well. 

• Sad 5

56 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I don't think anyone would figure it out if I changed. There are very few things I post here that would be unique or memorable enough and I don't think I have a strong personality/presence.

You're probably the nicest person here, @Kassia. That would definitely be a huge clue. 🙂  

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have had people threaten me as well. 

That's terrible.  😞 

43 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You're probably the nicest person here, @Kassia. That would definitely be a huge clue. 🙂  

Aw, you seriously made me tear up.  

I love this forum and feel so fortunate to be part of this community.  But I never feel like I do *enough.*  I see other people on here more often who give more support, better advice, etc. and I feel inadequate.  I've received so much here and want to give back.  I especially feel guilty when I'm short on time and can't give people the attention I want to - especially if they are coming here for support.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

That's terrible.  😞 

I love this forum and feel so fortunate to be part of this community.  But I never feel like I do *enough.*  I see other people on here more often who give more support, better advice, etc. and I feel inadequate.  I've received so much here and want to give back.  I especially feel guilty when I'm short on time and can't give people the attention I want to - especially if they are coming here for support.  

Don't feel guilty.  I think everyone does their own thing to support people and that is what makes getting support from here so great.  Some people are great with words, advice, some are great at finding answers, or they have experience in that area, some are funny (which always helps), and some have amazing memories.  I feel like we cover all the bases when we work together!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

That's terrible.  😞 

What are you talking about?  You are one of the best things about this forum!  We need you. 

I'll be honest and say that I am not good at recognizing people, but I'd probably be going around thinking "So sad that Kassia is gone, but that new Aissak is sooo nice!  I'm glad she showed up!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Just now, Drama Llama said:

I'll be honest and say that I am not good at recognizing people, but I'd probably be going around thinking "So sad that Kassia is gone, but that new Aissak is sooo nice!  I'm glad she showed up!"

As soon as Aissak said she hated soup, you'd say "Ah-ha! That's Kassia!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

31 minutes ago, Kassia said:

That's terrible.  😞 

You stand out to me as one who is so supportive. I feel inadequate compared to YOU, lol. 🙂

My problem is I never know what to say even though I feel so deeply about things that get posted. I’m the same IRL, too. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

There are very few things I post here that would be unique or memorable enough and I don't think I have a strong personality/presence.

Sometimes it is easy to link people to usernames by health issues posted.  

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Some people who change their usernames for more privacy do substantially change how/what they post. 

I agree. If I bother to change my username, I would change my avatar at the same time and change what I post. 

@Ausmumof3 however, if someone has time and want to figure out what someone’s new username is, search for old threads and look at the username attached to the likes. Then confirm by checking the profile. I think the profile list previous usernames.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Sometimes it is easy to link people to usernames by health issues posted.  

I agree. If I bother to change my username, I would change my avatar at the same time and change what I post. 

@Ausmumof3 however, if someone has time and want to figure out what someone’s new username is, search for old threads and look at the username attached to the likes. Then confirm by checking the profile. I think the profile list previous usernames.

Oh yes. I think if you wanted to completely “rebirth” yourself you’d need to make a new account with a new email.

• Like 2

I think I would still be recognizable. Even if I was trying to do so on the down low I would eventually slip and someone would say, "Hey, that sounds like Kidshappen." 

I have successfully followed some people through name changes, others probably not and then there are some where I wonder if a poster used to be someone else or I know they were but I can't remember who.

It's much harder for me if they change their avatar because I am a visual person although I can manage it if they have a particularly stronger presence like when Scarlett changed hers.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kassia said:

I'm not either.  I have a tough time keeping certain users straight already.  If anyone changed, I'd be completely lost.  I'm already impressed with members who really seem to know people so well here (and I feel guilty that I don't).  But I'm in awe of those who figure out people's new names!  

LOL

I struggle too, but I bet I’d spot you! So many things you share, I think sounds like we are very similar on a lot things.

• Like 1

I might be able to identify between 5 to 7 individuals by posting style or subject matter. But, for the most part, I'd just be lost and confused.

I don't think I post enough to be remembered or recognized, but some of you have genius level memories and pattern recognition skills, so I could be wrong.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I don't think I post enough to be remembered or recognized, but some of you have genius level memories 

Some people are so good that I've wondered if maybe they take notes on the more active members to keep everyone straight and *know* them better.  

• Like 1