Menu

If you have a very geeky (I mean this in the nicest way) 14 year old, what do they want for Christmas?

Drama Llama

We have a tradition of buying some gifts we think my middle son might like for Christmas and donating them.

In the past we've done whatever is the latest Harry Potter lego set, but my 13 year old has informed me that his brother has outgrown Harry Potter.  I'm not sure I agree, but I'm not going to tell him he doesn't know what his brother would like.  

But it begs the question of what he would like?  So, what do very geeky 14 year old boys like, that are also things that a charity might appreciate?  

No ideas on gift ideas, but we have a charity here that collects the wish lists (3 wishes/kid I think) of the kids currently in the foster system and uses SignUpGenius for folks to sign up to bring them to various locations - marked with the number of the recipient.  This is this year's list. So maybe there is something in your area where it might be an option for a charity that could use the gifts? 
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0F4BAFAF23A1FC1-45147797-christmas

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

No ideas on gift ideas, but we have a charity here that collects the wish lists (3 wishes/kid I think) of the kids currently in the foster system and uses SignUpGenius for folks to sign up to bring them to various locations - marked with the number of the recipient.  This is this year's list. So maybe there is something in your area where it might be an option for a charity that could use the gifts? 
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0F4BAFAF23A1FC1-45147797-christmas

I have charities I can donate to.  I just need to pick what.  He was a unique little boy.  It's interesting to think about what kind of teen he would be.  I think if it was just me, I'd buy 10 year old gifts forever, but his brother is very convinced he's growing up in heaven and his tastes are changing.  Who knows?  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I have charities I can donate to.  I just need to pick what.  He was a unique little boy.  It's interesting to think about what kind of teen he would be.  I think if it was just me, I'd buy 10 year old gifts forever, but his brother is very convinced he's growing up in heaven and his tastes are changing.  Who knows?  

I think it is sweet that he thinks of his brother that way. It's not something I've ever thought of before. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Thank you!  He is very loved.  That is why he needs a Christmas present.  Any ideas?

Something from here perhaps: https://www.snorgtees.com/collections/math 

And maybe something like Harry Potter fan art? You can get things like wall art on Redbubble or Etsy. There's something about fan art that I find really powerful. I guess it's the fact that someone else loves the niche interest so much to go to that effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My geeky son absolutely adored Legos at 14 and at 26 he still adores Legos.  And a pastor at our church who is 40 still adores Legos and geeks out with my 26 year old over them.  Some people never move past that love of them no matter the age. 

But I certainly wouldn't want to argue with your son's vision of his big brother so my next suggestion would be drones, video games, European board games, anything star wars, Escape room style games. Chronicles of crime is another my geeky children really like.  However, it's a board game that requires access to cell phone so I don't know if it's the best game for donation as you wouldn't know if the recipient is set up for that (even though I know most kids do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

My geeky son absolutely adored Legos at 14 and at 26 he still adores Legos.  And a pastor at our church who is 40 still adores Legos and geeks out with my 26 year old over them.  Some people never move past that love of them no matter the age. 

But I certainly wouldn't want to argue with your son's vision of his big brother so my next suggestion would be drones, video games, European board games, anything star wars, Escape room style games. Chronicles of crime is another my geeky children really like.  However, it's a board game that requires access to cell phone so I don't know if it's the best game for donation as you wouldn't know if the recipient is set up for that (even though I know most kids do).

He’s not saying he’s outgrown legos, just that he’s outgrown Harry Potter.  I suggested Star Wars legos and got told that he (my middle child) is the kind of geek that likes Star Trek not Star Wars.  Which resonates as probably true for some reason.

• Like 6

Do you have a Box Lunch? It's not as geeky as ThinkGeek, but the 13 yr old might get some ideas there.

We did something similar for many years for Brian, and transitioned to a more generic toy donation after he got too old for toys (he'd be 22 Jan 1). It helped focus the grief info something happy. 

• Like 1

Star Trek: Light-and-Sound Tricorder (RP Minis) https://a.co/d/jfRPSAD

Limited-time deal: Speks Geode Sphere Magnetic Fidget Toy for Adults | Quiet Adult Sensory Toy for Stress Relief & Anxiety, Office Desk ADHD Tool, Stocking Stuffer & Top Gadget Gift Idea | Aqua, 12-Piece Set https://a.co/d/iqFKN5Z

What the geeky kid in my life wants: ZipString - Wonderment Awaits with Shark Tank - Featured String Rope Launcher Loop Fidget Toy, Defying Gravity to Boost Your Imagination - The Ideal Gift for Kids,Luscious Lime https://a.co/d/0SKNJfV

10 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Do you have a Box Lunch? It's not as geeky as ThinkGeek, but the 13 yr old might get some ideas there.

We did something similar for many years for Brian, and transitioned to a more generic toy donation after he got too old for toys (he'd be 22 Jan 1). It helped focus the grief info something happy. 

It does help.  

My guy would be too old for Toys for Tots, which is hard to believe.

I just want to say that my DD28 has yet to out grow Harry Potter, and my DS21 still likes Lego sets although he now prefers the model cars or architectural sets rather than “playing with” sets

my suggestion would be a video game system such as a Nintendo Switch. 

Edited by City Mouse

My geeky son was never into the licensed character Lego sets (other than Lego movie), but likes technic sets and sets with cool cars (he's not a car guy, he just likes the building of Lego cars).

Maybe a board or card game? Castle Panic, Unstable Unicorns, Star Realms, Forbidden Island, Doom on You, etc.