Menu

Have a favorite junky, fluffy, make-ahead fruit "salad" to take to a carry in?

MercyA

Lime Jello Salad - Aimee Mars

This is the recipe I always make.  Except I don't like nuts in my food so I skip those.  And I don't like lime jello at all and canned pineapple is not my favorite.  So I use the proportions of this recipe and use either strawberry and blackberry jello and sliced, sugar frozen strawberries for the fruit.  I've also so strawberries in peach jello.  Raspberries work in peach or raspberry jello but because they are so tart, make sure to add plenty of sugar to them.  I've also done peaches in strawberry or peach jello. 

In other words, play around with the flavors.  There are lots of way to go with it.  

• Thanks 1

A can of cherry pie filling mixed with a can of sweetened condensed milk.  Add a small container of cool whip (that is the original recpie but I add cottage cheese instead to give it a bit of nutritional value).  Add a can of well-drained crushed pineapple.  Then add a cup of cocunut, cup of marshmallows, and some chopped pecans.  Blend well and refrigerate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mom's version is chopped grapes, canned mandarin oranges drained,  pineapple tidbits drained, mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, and Dream Whip (you can use Cool Whip). Mix ingredients and refrigerate. You can make the top look pretty with some of the orange slices, grapes, pineapples and a few maraschino cherries if you want. 

Edited by fraidycat
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

A can of cherry pie filling mixed with a can of sweetened condensed milk.  Add a small container of cool whip (that is the original recpie but I add cottage cheese instead to give it a bit of nutritional value).  Add a can of well-drained crushed pineapple.  Then add a cup of cocunut, cup of marshmallows, and some chopped pecans.  Blend well and refrigerate.  

I love this one, and I have made it with whole berry cranberry sauce for an equally delicious treat!!

• Like 1

Here's one that has been a huge hit.

Pineapple-carrot Salad

2 c. Sugar

2 c. Canned pineapple, undrained (1 14oz can, crushed or through a food processor)

Boil together 5 minutes.

Dissolve 2 envelopes unflavored Knox gelatin in 1 c. Cold water.

Add the hot pineapple mixture to the gelatin and beat until smooth.

In large separate bowl,

mash 16 oz. Cream cheese with

4 T. Mayonnaise until smooth.

Pour hot pineapple mixture over cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Cool ingredients.  I think it turns out nicer if it's set up at this point.

Add 3 shredded carrots. (I use a handmixer for this) 

Fold in 16 0z. Cool Whip (no kidding).

put in a large serving bowl to set up

Chill for at least 6 hours.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bootsie said:

One of our favorites.  We add more fruit to this one, too like drained Mandarin oranges or pears or whatever is in my shelf.  My mil is allergic to pineapple so we usually change it up.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

This is the recipe I always make.  Except I don't like nuts in my food so I skip those.  And I don't like lime jello at all and canned pineapple is not my favorite. 

😄 This is my favorite kind of cooking! "I followed the recipe - except I substituted many ingredients, streamlined the cooking process, and left off the garnishes" This is why we can't be replaced, nothing would taste right!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cranberry Fluff! Perfect for this time of year, and uses fresh cranberries so you can pretend it is healthy (it's not, lol)

https://realhousemoms.com/cranberry-fluff/

It's fresh cranberries that you chop up in food processor and macerate with sugar, pineapple, marshmallows, grapes halved, chopped pecans, and cool whip. SO yummy and addictive! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eos said:

Off-topic question: is a carry in the same as a potluck?

Basically yes.

However, in my small Midwestern town, the term "potluck" is used mostly for church functions. They tend to be large with long tables of food and are mostly for socializing. Someone might also refer to a potluck wedding reception.

The term "carry in" is also used for this type of church event, but I think of "carry ins" as usually being smaller and sometimes tending to be more business / organization type events. For example, this past week the teachers at my daughter's school had a work day without the students there. I saw one of the teacher's wives carrying in a foil pan, and I thought, "Oh, they're having a carry in." It wouldn't be called a potluck. When I was in a homeschool co-op, the moms would sometimes get together for dinner and we'd all bring something. We called that a "carry in," too, not a potluck.

Would love to hear others' input on this. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

I'll make a fruit salad with honey drizzled on top. I've also made fruit with whipped cream but perhaps my fruit to whipped cream ratio is different, it's a dessert in my house. (Really ours is whipped cream sprinkled with fruit.) If you make your own whip cream you can add vanilla and other flavors to the whip cream which makes it seem pretty fancy. 

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Basically yes.

However, in my small Midwestern town, the term "potluck" is used mostly for church functions. They tend to be large with long tables of food and are mostly for socializing. Someone might also refer to a potluck wedding reception.

The term "carry in" is also used for this type of church event, but I think of "carry ins" as usually being smaller and sometimes tending to be more business / organization type events. For example, this past week the teachers at my daughter's school had a work day without the students there. I saw one of the teacher's wives carrying in a foil pan, and I thought, "Oh, they're having a carry in." It wouldn't be called a potluck. When I was in a homeschool co-op, the moms would sometimes get together for dinner and we'd all bring something. We called that a "carry in," too, not a potluck.

Would love to hear others' input on this. 

Interesting - I've never heard of a "carry in" before. I mean, it makes sense, just never heard that term. 

Reminds me of the first time I heard the term "take away". Makes as much sense or more than "take out", but had never heard it before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Interesting - I've never heard of a "carry in" before. I mean, it makes sense, just never heard that term. 

Same, and I like it better than potluck which I don't like as a word.   To carry in is nice!

Edited by Eos