Menu

What to do with these butternut squash?

saraha

4 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

I bake them whole , scoop out the squash. Add salt, pepper and butter, brown sugar if you like it sweetened. I then freeze it in meal portions. Fabulous with pork roasts.

Butternut squash soup is also a favorite. 

When you bake them whole, do you mean you don’t take the seeds and pulp out til after? When I bake a pumpkin, I cut it on half, clean it out, then bake it

Butternut is one of my favorite squashes! 

Soup: https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

Roasted: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229733/simple-roasted-butternut-squash/

As a savory skillet meal: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a56379/cheesy-bacon-butternut-squash-recipe/

You pretty much always want to roast it to bring out the flavor, but you can use it in most recipes that use zucchini.

• Like 2

My favorite way-

cut them in half & scoop out the seeds. Put an oat of butter in each divot, sprinkle entire cut side with cinnamon to taste. Bake @ 350 degrees F until tender - usually 20 min or so depending on the size. Before eating you can brush the melted butter up along the neck if you want to. 

I had some Wonderful butternut squash ravioli at a restaurant once & keep meaning to hunt down a recipe. 

• Like 1

The Pioneer Woman has a recipe in one of her cookbooks that I like a lot, but I can't find it online. I usually use frozen butternut squash because it's easier than cutting up one and I don't have them fresh from the garden. Anyway, cube the squash and sauté it in butter. When it is tender, add kale, salt, pepper, and some chili powder, and put the top on the pot until the kale wilts. 

• Like 2

Those sound like Honeynut  - a close relative of Butternut. If so, consider yourself lucky! I think they taste better than Butternut and I like them best when I cut them in half, take out the seeds, and roast them cut side down on a sheet pan until slightly browned and tender. A little salt and pepper is all you need. I roast several at once and then save the flesh. So good.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

Side question: what helped you like squash? DH will eat nearly anything (very short list of disklikes), and he hates squash. I do too. I did have some nearly edible butternut once that had been steamed with apple and then puréed (made it myself for one of my kids as a baby). My kids have never liked it past infancy either.

Is there a trick? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Side question: what helped you like squash? DH will eat nearly anything (very short list of disklikes), and he hates squash. I do too. I did have some nearly edible butternut once that had been steamed with apple and then puréed (made it myself for one of my kids as a baby). My kids have never liked it past infancy either.

Is there a trick? 

I only like squash when it's in a more savory preparation.  

If I was OP, I'd try this:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/stuffed-butternut-squash/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So cut open a few yesterday and roasted them plain in the oven. They came out almost like a purée in the shell, didn’t really brown or carmelize, but were very sweet!  We ate some plain as a side last night. Going to try some other recipes linked here. Not sure how savory will go because everyone that tried them last night said they were very sweet

• Like 4

21 hours ago, kbutton said:

Is there a trick? 

Husband isn't keen on squash that has a mealy texture.  If you like zucchini, there are other squashes that have a similar texture. 

• Like 2