Menu

Who's seen the Barbie movie?

MercyA

The thing about culturally relevant movies - many Americans don't have what you might call film literacy.  In my case, financially and time-wise, going to movies or renting them was a rare luxury for much of my life.  Also, I find most movies annoyingly stupid, so I only go if I have some reason to believe a given movie will be my type, or occasionally to please someone else.

I feel like Barbie may be along the lines of Forrest Gump.  FG was such a big movie at the time, supposedly so meaningful, and even I mostly enjoyed it (though it should have been about a 33% shorter).  Normally, I plan to watch good movies with my kids, but whenever I think "should we watch Forrest Gump" it just never seems worth it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Well, we've got too many of the younger generations who can not tell us who won the Civil War, so I am not surprised many didn't get the reference. But it is an iconic film that is more than just a 1968 movie. It's a cultural marker, as explained

https://theconversation.com/2001-a-space-odyssey-still-leaves-an-indelible-mark-on-our-culture-55-years-on-209152#:~:text=2001%3A A Space Odyssey is,filmmakers but society in general.

It's not like a university degree. A "cultural marker" movie is not a pre-requisite to seeing and enjoying other movies. 

We're all out here in the wild, knowing very little of the influence that we are "consuming". Everything is inspired by something or someone else.

As a non-movie goer or watcher 99% of the time, I had personally never heard of Greta Gerwig or the Oppenheimer director dude before. So many people out there with "what else would you even expect from this person" attitudes, like one must have *done their research* on every aspect of a movie from producers to directors to film studios before watching the movie or trying to converse about it. Another pre-requisite? 

Frankly, it comes across as condescending, IMO.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, TexasProud said:

@MercyA

I totally agree that the film didn't match the marketing. If I had taken my daughter when she was 10 or under, I probably would have left going..that was a waste. So much of it would have gone over her head.  She would have been bored. I don't think we would have discussed it either.  Absolutely nothing inappropriate, I just would have been disappointed it wasn't a fun kid movie.

That said, it is a good movie for teens and above. It has done well because of word of mouth, but I just wish they didn't advertise it for little kids. That isn't who the movie is for and yeah, the trailers made me go, "Yuck. What a stupid movie." 

I didn't see a lot of the marketing so I can't speak to that. I went because the backlash made me curious and because a friend asked if I wanted to see it with her.

There was a mom and young daughter in the row with us. The girl was maybe 9 or 10 and wearing an adorable very pink dress. I think they were both looking forward to basically Toy Story for little girls. At one point I looked over and the girl looked so bored and ready to leave. 

I think it's a great movie for teens and young adults, male and female. I agree with you that there's nothing inappropriate for younger girls but that they'd just find it mostly boring.

16 hours ago, katilac said:

It's rated PG-13, though. Either parents investigate why a movie that appeals to their young kid is rated PG-13, or they get what they get. 

Yes, this. Marketing or not, parents need to look at the ratings. They should investigate the reasons for the rating before deciding if it's something their kids should see. Extra work, yes, but that's part of parenting.

Sorry about the tag MercyA. I can't remove those when I quote someone. If anyone knows how I'm all ears. Well, actually all eyes, since I'll be reading how to do it. 🙂 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

It's not like a university degree. A "cultural marker" movie is not a pre-requisite to seeing and enjoying other movies. 

We're all out here in the wild, knowing very little of the influence that we are "consuming". Everything is inspired by something or someone else.

As a non-movie goer or watcher 99% of the time, I had personally never heard of Greta Gerwig or the Oppenheimer director dude before. So many people out there with "what else would you even expect from this person" attitudes, like one must have *done their research* on every aspect of a movie from producers to directors to film studios before watching the movie or trying to converse about it. Another pre-requisite? 

Of course not. It isn't condescending to explain how iconic a movie is. I never said it was a sort of prerequisite. In fact, I've not heard of Gerwig before this. But that doesn't alter the fact about what a huge impact 2001 A Space Odyssey has had. And as someone said, they even played the 2001 theme music at that scene, which is as iconic as the film, lol. I think the movie obviously attracted all ages. I didn't think little kids would enjoy it but apparently I was wrong. It seemed to hit people of all ages for different reasons. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Of course not. It isn't condescending to explain how iconic a movie is. I never said it was a sort of prerequisite. In fact, I've not heard of Gerwig before this. But that doesn't alter the fact about what a huge impact 2001 A Space Odyssey has had. And as someone said, they even played the 2001 theme music at that scene, which is as iconic as the film, lol. I think the movie obviously attracted all ages. I didn't think little kids would enjoy it but apparently I was wrong. It seemed to hit people of all ages for different reasons. 

Apparently it only had a huge impact of a certain segment of society.

I guess it isn't surprising that people whose lives are immersed in film-making might presume that what's important to them is also important to everyone else.

Which could be one reason why I really dislike going to the movies 99% of the time.

And I'm OK being ignorant about an industry that has a mostly negative effect on society IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Guess people like me who aren't movie buffs - or those not old enough to have watched the movie quoted here - miss out.

I think that includes a lot of the target audience.  How many of today's young women have seen that movie?  Apparently it's a 1968 movie?

1 hour ago, fraidycat said:

Y’all. I did not mean to come off as  appraising anyone’s level of cultural literacy. But I must admit I think it’s interesting that a group drawn to a forum hosted by a classical educator whose methods suggest that we understand the sources of materials we chose to teach and digest would be offended by my comments. I’m not talking censorship, I’m talking “consider the source,” something well educated minds should do as a matter of critical thinking. 

My “due diligence” comment was speaking specifically to the fact that the movie is rated PG-13, an easily accessible bit of information. One doesn’t have to know the director’s body of work or be a film history student to take a couple of minutes and pull up a parents’ guide like the one linked below. My kids are all adults now and I’ve been looking at sites like it since they were in elementary school. 

https://kids-in-mind.com/b/barbie-parents-guide-movie-review-rating.htm

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Y’all. I did not mean to come off as  appraising anyone’s level of cultural literacy. But I must admit I think it’s interesting that a group drawn to a forum hosted by a classical educator whose methods suggest that we understand the sources of materials we chose to teach and digest would be offended by my comments. I’m not talking censorship, I’m talking “consider the source,” something well educated minds should do as a matter of critical thinking. 

My “due diligence” comment was speaking specifically to the fact that the movie is rated PG-13, an easily accessible bit of information. One doesn’t have to know the director’s body of work or be a film history student to take a couple of minutes and pull up a parents’ guide like the one linked below. My kids are all adults now and I’ve been looking at sites like it since they were in elementary school. 

https://kids-in-mind.com/b/barbie-parents-guide-movie-review-rating.htm

When I go to a popular movie at my kids' request, I am not trying to go in knowing exactly what to expect.  I actually don't like spoilers.  I go to experience the movie as I assume it's intended to be consumed by average everyday people.  Not as an intellectual exercise.

Obviously it's a different approach if I'm using the film to teach something.  Did most of you view your Barbie viewing that way?

• Like 1

Just now, rebcoola said:

It was also not central to enjoying the movie

Yes, but given that it was the first scene, it set a certain tone.

Nobody in my group of 7 got that reference at all.  Including 3 well-educated, well-traveled middle-aged women.  The US is more diverse than some people think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

When I go to a popular movie at my kids' request, I am not trying to go in knowing exactly what to expect.  I actually don't like spoilers.  I go to experience the movie as I assume it's intended to be consumed by average everyday people.  Not as an intellectual exercise.

Obviously it's a different approach if I'm using the film to teach something.  Did most of you view your Barbie viewing that way?

Ummm…. I don’t want to come off snarky, please don’t read that in my tone. But as a consumer of entertainment, I make different choices for my children than I do for myself. But I don’t walk into any expensive two hour experience blind - there are a lot of films I know I won’t like (the upcoming Exorcist 2? No thanks!!!). 

I appreciate your open minded theory of approaching a work of art, it seems quite fitting for something like an art gallery. But still, if you knew a gallery was full of modern nudes, wouldn’t you stop and think about it and decide if it’s appropriate when you’re bringing your children with you?

I’m not trying to be mean, or condescending. I’m just not personally gonna let anyone off the hook who was unpleasantly surprised to discover the movie was maybe not appropriate for their 8yo. There was/is enough info on the web to have gotten some heads up on the content. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 4

Just a side note, since several people quoted me about the fact that the PG-13 should have given me a heads up. My children range in age from 21-28, so I barely pay attention to what films are rated anymore. Yes, I used to go in before we saw ANY movie and just read the IMBD parent's guide for sex and for language to see what to expect.  Heck, I still use that a ton now. I was trying to decide on Foundation season 2.   I was just speaking to the ads looking like a kid movie. But you are right, if you are a parent of young children it is up to you to do due diligence.  I did not before I went because I no longer have young kids. Just speaking to what the ads looked like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Grace Hopper said:

Ummm…. I don’t want to come off snarky, please don’t read that in my tone. But as a consumer of entertainment, I make different choices for my children than I do for myself. But I don’t walk into any expensive two hour experience blind - there are a lot of films I know I won’t like (the upcoming Exorcist 2? No thanks!!!). 

I appreciate your open minded theory of approaching a work of art, it seems quite fitting for something like an art gallery. But still, if you knew a gallery was full of modern nudes, wouldn’t you stop and think about it and decide if it’s appropriate when you’re bringing your children with you?

I’m not trying to be mean, or condescending. I’m just not personally gonna let anyone off the hook who was unpleasantly surprised to discover the movie was maybe not appropriate for their 8yo. 

OK but the 4 kids I brought were 16 and 17 years old, and it's the Barbie movie, OK?  Like if there was something horrible in there, I would have known it, given that the movie is being talked about all over the place.  If my high school senior asks to go to a move with a rating less than R, I'm past censoring that.  The Romeo & Juliet film they saw in school was surely worse.  😛

When my kids were younger, there were movies I wouldn't let them go to, sure.  I still don't let them go to R movies unless I'm with them and I'm convinced it's not "that kind" of R movie.  😛

I don't understand the complaints that there's a reference some people didn't get. Every piece of Art and literature is full of allusions to other works, and some you get, some you don't.  Should artist dumb down their work so that it doesn't contain any references to something,  lest people be offended?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

I don't understand the complaints that there's a reference some people didn't get. Every piece of Art and literature is full of allusions to other works, and some you get, some you don't.  Should artist dumb down their work so that it doesn't contain any references to something,  lest people be offended?

No, I don't think that is it.  It is the fact that they were destroying baby dolls.  As I said, I knew the reference and still found it kinda disturbing.  If I had no idea what the reference was, it would have felt a lot worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

The complaint wasn't because of them using a reference that some people didn't get.  It was because the opening scene was weird.  Then people started being condescending toward those who didn't get the reference.  So then people were responding to that condescending tone.

• Like 3

Just now, TexasProud said:

No, I don't think that is it.  It is the fact that they were destroying baby dolls.  As I said, I knew the reference and still found it kinda disturbing.  If I had no idea what the reference was, it would have felt a lot worse. 

I found the scene completely logical even without the reference: Barbie as the first doll that isn't a baby, suggesting alternatives to motherhood and demolishing the notion that there's only a single accepted path.

If satire isn't disturbing,  it isn't doing its job.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

The complaint wasn't because of them using a reference that some people didn't get.  It was because the opening scene was weird.  Then people started being condescending toward those who didn't get the reference.  So then people were responding to that condescending tone.

Yep...just like below...  Sigh... sorry I am not cultured enough to find it AMAZING and WONDERFUL.  I am just a peon with poor taste. 

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I found the scene completely logical even without the reference: Barbie as the first doll that isn't a baby, suggesting alternatives to motherhood and demolishing the notion that there's only a single accepted path.

If satire isn't disturbing,  it isn't doing its job.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, I mean, I could understand the kids leaving the dolls and running toward something more interesting, but must they smash up every last baby doll?  Again, what does it say about those of us who preferred baby dolls and love babies and always had motherhood as a goal?  (Not the only goal, but still a serious goal.)

Then it switches to the extremely superficial and frivolous Barbie/Ken society ... OK, don't blame me if I didn't find the movie engaging.

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

I have never seen 2001 space odyssey but I knew the reference. It has been spoofed dozens of times before by TV and Movies so yes its fairly ubiquitous even to not film buffs. It was also not central to enjoying the movie

Heck, when I was a kid there was a bit on *Sesame Street* (or maybe Electric Company??)  that referenced the 2001 monolith (with the music).

Apparently it was Electric Company.  Here's one for the grapheme 'alk' and another for the grapheme 'ea'.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Grace Hopper @Idalou I wasn't offended by your posts, and I wasn't offended by the opening scene of the movie. I understood the reference, even if I couldn't name the original movie off the top of my head.

I wasn't even necessarily only speaking to this thread on this forum, but the broader conversation on the worldwide web about the "how dare you" misunderstand or expect something else from this movie, this reference, this director, etc. People are being scolded for not loving parts or having a different opinion, etc. 

FWIW, I understood the opening scene reference, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I attended with adults. I personally have zero complaints. But i still find the tone of several of the conversations (not just here) bizarrely condescending if someone doesn't know or understand Greta Getwig's "feminist mission to smash the patriarchy through film" or whatever you're *supposed to know* before watching a movie she directed.

As I said before, we are all consuming material that has been influenced by something else. Do I have to know who Kepler is and everything he contributed to astrophysics before I listen to a Neil deGrasse Tyson talk on youtube? Because that's what some of these discussions feel like to me as an outside observer of the conversation.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Yes, I mean, I could understand the kids leaving the dolls and running toward something more interesting, but must they smash up every last baby doll?  Again, what does it say about those of us who preferred baby dolls and love babies and always had motherhood as a goal?  (Not the only goal, but still a serious goal.)

Then it switches to the extremely superficial and frivolous Barbie/Ken society ... OK, don't blame me if I didn't find the movie engaging.

I feel like the message I took away from the movie was:

Once upon a time, there was one vision of what a little girl could grow up to be, which was a mother.  That single vision was harmful to girls and women.  

Barbie came along, and smashed that single vision, but replaced it with another single vision, which wasn't really better. 

The end, the "ordinary Barbie" vision, where women can be a mom, or a supreme court justice who is a mom, or a supreme court justice who isn't a mom, or someone who is neither supreme court justice nor a mom, or . . .  and can be any age . . . and can have lots of power, or no power, or share power with men . . . That's the vision the movie actually supports.

I also love babies, and wanted to be a mom more than anything in the world.  But I still don't see myself in either the first two images.  Ordinary Barbie for me!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Am I the only one who LOVED the smashing the creepy dolls scene? 

I'm not familiar with the movie it's referencing but it doesn't make any difference--that single scene illustrated women's oppression and subsequent liberation in full dramatic fashion and I literally had to stop myself from cheering. It was probably my favorite scene in the entire movie. I knew I was in for something unafraid and unapologetic. 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I'm not familiar with the movie it's referencing but it doesn't make any difference--that single scene illustrated women's oppression and subsequent liberation in full dramatic fashion and I literally had to stop myself from cheering. It was probably my favorite scene in the entire movie. I knew I was in for something unafraid and unapologetic. 🙂 

I appreciated it but understood why people would be clutching their pearls. Any attack on innocent babies, even doll babies, is too much for many to stomach. I never associated dolls with people or played with them as such so my tolerance is probably greater. I had a Barbie styling head that I used to learn how to braid. It was always an avatar/tool, not a person.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

I appreciated it but understood why people would be clutching their pearls, any attack on innocent babies, even doll babies, is too much for many to stomach.

I agree it was disturbing, it made me wince. Pointing out the artistic messaging is different than saying I liked it. But in my imagination I could not have come up with any better way to state the cultural impact of Barbie dolls coming onto the scene. 

PG-13 for a reason, yep. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I am NOT trying to talk you out of liking it.  I totally get why you do.  And I am glad. 

I guess I don't see baby dolls as being oppressive.  That is just my view and yeah they look too much like real children for ME to enjoy seeing them smashed.  My baby dolls were real to me. But I was never told that I should only be a mother.  In fact, my mom made the point to make sure I got my career in order before I ever even considered marrying, much less being a mom.  My aunt marched in the ERA marches. (I have some buttons from them somewhere.  They are/were probably disappointed in me because to me they felt too strident, too be in the workforce or you are no valuable.  That said, I didn't really enjoy being a mom. Way too much responsibility to make sure I taught them everything they needed to know to be successful.  

I just got so tired of the women rise up from being oppressed mantra and need for liberation being pounded into me as a child. 

• Like 2

Yeah I don't think liking baby dolls (or real babies) held me back from anything.  And my mom always wanted me to be a lawyer, because she worked for a woman lawyer.  Imagine playing with a baby doll and ending up a lawyer, CPA, business owner, ... and mom.

A doll is just a toy.  I mean I read Simone de Beauvoir ... I though she was full of it in many ways, including her take on dolls.  That said, I felt like the imagery was an attack on more than just dolls. 

Breaking any kind of toy, on purpose, is not something I was raised to be OK with.  I only had a few toys.  It was a very cringey scene for me.  You don't have to agree with me.

As another commenter said, she likely meant it to be disturbing.  Yay for her.  Apparently a lot of people loved the movie, so double yay.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Sorry about the tag MercyA. I can't remove those when I quote someone. If anyone knows how I'm all ears. Well, actually all eyes, since I'll be reading how to do it. 🙂 

No worries! I didn't receive a notification for that tag, so it must not "ping" people if it's in a quote. 

• Like 1

I just got back from seeing it, and thought it was so much fun!

I honestly would've forgotten that it started with smashing baby dolls if I hadn't read this thread. I was more focussed on the Monty Python/Holy Grail horse-riding, and the Grease-inspired dance scene. And maybe the Top Gun volleyball scene. Wow, so many fun fun movie call outs. I absolutely had no clue about the Jack Snyder cut of Justice League (a quote from one of the Barbies when they're deprogramming), but I assume those who did understand it thought it was great fun, and am happy for them to have that.

My favorite bit was Barbie saying something to the effect that she wanted to be the one imagining rather than being the imagined thing. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

re what's the problem with missing a reference?

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

ex

act

ly.

Some you get, some fly right on over. Way back on p. 1 of this thread, *before I saw the movie*, someone pointed out not only the Space Odyssey opening reference, but also that there was a Matrix red/ blue pill reference. I've never seen Matrix, though I've had surface-level secondhand osmosis exposure to some of its precepts; and *even knowing before I saw the movie that there was going to be a Matrix reference in the move*.... I wholly missed the reference. I could not even name the scene.

So... so what?  I catch some, I miss some. The ones I miss, I'm interested to have pointed out to me. That's not condescending; that's just how it goes, no one knows everything (though students of film like GG know a LOT, much more than most of us regulars on this board.). 

What is there to be defensive or tetchy about?  Ought artists refrain from references because some folks might get tetchy and defensive about missing a satiric reference?

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

....If satire isn't disturbing,  it isn't doing its job.

Indeed.

33 minutes ago, GailV said:

...I honestly would've forgotten that it started with smashing baby dolls if I hadn't read this thread. I was more focussed on the Monty Python/Holy Grail horse-riding, and the Grease-inspired dance scene. And maybe the Top Gun volleyball scene. Wow, so many fun fun movie call outs. I absolutely had no clue about the Jack Snyder cut of Justice League (a quote from one of the Barbies when they're deprogramming), but I assume those who did understand it thought it was great fun, and am happy for them to have that.

My favorite bit was Barbie saying something to the effect that she wanted to be the one imagining rather than being the imagined thing. 

Right. GG is a lifetime student of film (I know this from my youngest, a lifetime student of film. Were it not for my youngest, I would not have seen Ladybird until AFTER it scooped up awards; or understood the visual chromacode of Little Women).  Barbie is CHOCK FULL of references to other films. The references are simultaneously honoring those classics, poking fun at those classics, and instrumentalizing and refracting those classics to shine light on the messaging she's imbuing in her own work. As references do. As artists do.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Breaking any kind of toy, on purpose, is not something I was raised to be OK with.  I only had a few toys.  It was a very cringey scene for me.  You don't have to agree with me.

Movies are full of people doing things I wasn't raised to be OK with.  They're full of people doing things I'm not currently OK with.  To be honest, the range of what I am OK with is pretty limited and boring.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, BandH said:

Movies are full of people doing things I wasn't raised to be OK with.  They're full of people doing things I'm not currently OK with.  To be honest, the range of what I am OK with is pretty limited and boring.  

That's fine.  I'm not trying to get the movie banned.  I just said I was turned off by the first scene of the movie being a bunch of baby dolls being smashed up.  I think I'm allowed to share my impressions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SKL said:

That's fine.  I'm not trying to get the movie banned.  I just said I was turned off by the first scene of the movie being a bunch of baby dolls being smashed up.  I think I'm allowed to share my impressions.

Yeah exactly.  I wasn't saying everyone else is wrong.  Just allow my my own feelings please. 

• Thanks 1

again re references flying right on over

14 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

re what's the problem with missing a reference?...

Some you get, some fly right on over. Way back on p. 1 of this thread, *before I saw the movie*, someone pointed out not only the Space Odyssey opening reference, but also that there was a Matrix red/ blue pill reference. I've never seen Matrix, though I've had surface-level secondhand osmosis exposure to some of its precepts; and *even knowing before I saw the movie that there was going to be a Matrix reference in the move*.... I wholly missed the reference. I could not even name the scene.

So... so what?  I catch some, I miss some. The ones I miss, I'm interested to have pointed out to me. .....

Quoting myself because this morning I woke up and sat bolt upright in bed with the sudden realization

OMG that scene where Weird Barbie holds out the pink pump and the Birkenstock and tells Stereotypical Barbie the choice is hers.... and then when S Barbie chooses wrong W Barbie says nah, you're supposed to choose the other one... no really, you HAVE to choose the other one...

THAT'S THE MATRIX REFERENCE???!!

OMG lolololol

(feeling very, very grateful to have been tipped off as I would NEVER have worked that out on my own; not feeling condescended to in.the.least)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

again re references flying right on over

Quoting myself because this morning I woke up and sat bolt upright in bed with the sudden realization

OMG lolololol

(feeling very, very grateful to have been tipped off as I would NEVER have worked that out on my own; not feeling condescended to in.the.least)

Thanks Pam, I believe I’m in good company now, as someone else who only caught The Matrix reference in hindsight. 

I seriously want to rewatch specifically to look for other film references (to see what else I can spot before looking for a website that’s already listed them out). The a-ha moment is so satisfying!

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2

Re missing references: This video goes over a bunch of them. I think the title is misleading as this thread has shown many adults didn't get all the references. I got some, missed others. 

***Spoilers*** If you haven't seen the movie and plan to you might want to skip this video. It gives away much, including that last line some of us vaguely referred to.

ETA: I thought the last line was funny and added as a joke. I like GG's explanation better. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I want to see it so bad.  My mom and her bff went yesterday and sent me pics of them in the box.    She said she couldn't figure out why people were calling it 'woke'..  She's very Repub and conservative, and she loved it.  It did make me sad to see the photos, lol.  I wish I had someone to go with.  I may go see it this weekend by myself.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I want to see it so bad.  My mom and her bff went yesterday and sent me pics of them in the box.    She said she couldn't figure out why people were calling it 'woke'..  She's very Repub and conservative, and she loved it.  It did make me sad to see the photos, lol.  I wish I had someone to go with.  I may go see it this weekend by myself.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I have a friend who took her poodle and the two of them had a great time. It's a movie that has enough going on to enjoy by yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, MEmama said:

I loved it to!! It felt cathartic!

42 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I went by myself I was little worried cause everyone seemed to be going in a group but It was really nice.  I also got a great sit because most of ours are the paired recliners but the very center seats are singles.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 8:28 AM, SKL said:

Guess people like me who aren't movie buffs - or those not old enough to have watched the movie quoted here - miss out.

I think that includes a lot of the target audience.  How many of today's young women have seen that movie?  Apparently it's a 1968 movie?

My dds both knew the reference and they are 22 and 16. 

1 hour ago, scholastica said:

My dds both knew the reference and they are 22 and 16. 

Yes. I've never seen Gone with the Wind, and it was made in 1939, like nearly 30 years before Space Odyssey, yet I still have heard enough about it over the years due to it's influences. Same with Titanic. I had no desire to see it, but know the scene of DiCaprio and his gf standing together. So the age of the movie isn't really a reason why people have or haven't chosen to see it. 

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 5

K, so I went for a second time with my husband last night, having first prepped by streaming the Matrix a few days ago. 

1. a full month after release... the theater wasn't FILLED, but for a Monday night in a sleepy suburb... it's doing fine.  Several sets of 4++ middle aged women dressed in pink; given that it's a full month after release, surely a number of them were, like me, on a second viewing.

2. re references -- my husband watched Matrix sitting right beside me, mere days ago, and STILL totally missed the reference.  Without spoilers, the whole point of the referent scene in the Matrix is that the character's whole life has pointed him toward a particular decision; whereas the whole point of the Barbie scene is that... well, it's a quite different narrative arc.  That's what makes it funny whether the reference lands or not.  He got Space Odyssey, missed the MP horses, and associated the walk-with-Ruth scene with The Good Place, which I haven't seen anyone else mention

3. FWIW he came out of first viewing saying "I can't believe I insisted on seeing Oppenheimer instead of this. Oppenheimer was good enough but I've already forgotten it; Barbie will keep turning over for weeks. Barbie's the one that folks will still be watching 25 years from now."  He is rarely effusive.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

K, so I went for a second time with my husband last night, having first prepped by streaming the Matrix a few days ago. 

1. a full month after release... the theater wasn't FILLED, but for a Monday night in a sleepy suburb... it's doing fine.  Several sets of 4++ middle aged women dressed in pink; given that it's a full month after release, surely a number of them were, like me, on a second viewing.

2. re references -- my husband watched Matrix sitting right beside me, mere days ago, and STILL totally missed the reference.  Without spoilers, the whole point of the referent scene in the Matrix is that the character's whole life has pointed him toward a particular decision; whereas the whole point of the Barbie scene is that... well, it's a quite different narrative arc.  That's what makes it funny whether the reference lands or not.  He got Space Odyssey, missed the MP horses, and associated the walk-with-Ruth scene with The Good Place, which I haven't seen anyone else mention

3. FWIW he came out of first viewing saying "I can't believe I insisted on seeing Oppenheimer instead of this. Oppenheimer was good enough but I've already forgotten it; Barbie will keep turning over for weeks. Barbie's the one that folks will still be watching 25 years from now."  He is rarely effusive.

I actually missed the Matrix reference when I saw it.  I knew the choosing was a thing from something, but I forgot it was the Matrix.  I didn't really think about it long because it didn't seem necessary to know.  It was funny for itself.

What was the "MP horses"?  

I just recently finished watching The Good Place and I can see why someone would think the walking with Ruth scene came from that, but it didn't occur to me.  

• Like 1