Menu

Zero-regrets impulse purchase

KungFuPanda

I bought a giant mixing bowl. I have no regrets. It makes my large bowls look like toys. They weren’t big enough to manage kimchi without using 3-4 bowls. I’m not sure where I’m going to put it.  It may need it’s own room! 

FF67EC29-876F-48CA-9752-A99D9F6FB414.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
I had to erase photos before I could add more 😬
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

3 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Jealous about the x-large bowl and that you are making kimchi! (what recipe?)

It’s a bit of every recipe? They’re all different and a little the same.  (And I couldn’t find the exact recipe I used last time) I salted and soaked the cabbage, rinsed and drained it, then added it to the other veggies/aromatics that were mixed with the pepper paste and fish sauce.  There’s ginger in there. I do the cut up kind and not the whole pieces version. It’s easier to put into jars for the fridge. 

I have a fermenting box that’s just large enough to do two large cabbages worth of kimchi. It’ll sit on my counter a few days before everything goes into jars in the fridge. I don’t even eat kimchi, but Dh loves it and likes homemade better than store-bought so I make it for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have this exact same bowl! I've had it for a few years and love it. We use it for everything - granddaughter says its her popcorn bowl. I bought it originally to make jellies because my 12 cups of fresh fruit wouldn't fit in standard sized bowls. But this bowl has so many uses. It floats around the house since the granddaughter loves popcorn but can't be bothered to bring it back to kitchen. The other day she made bath bombs in it - I had to make sure to wash it out really good. I really should get another one come to think of it!

Best impulse buy: last year right after my dad pasted away and I was staying with my mom (other side of the country), I bought a border collie puppy and flew home with it on the plane. The puppy has changed our lives for the better is many, many ways!

IMG_20220321_133926445 (2).jpg

• Like 27

I got so fed up with handwashing dishes yesterday that I bought a set of plates, bowls, etc at Target that can go completely in the dishwasher. My other dishes that are really pretty and that I love (and have to hand-wash) are going to take a break for a while. Now I need 100% stainless steel pots and pans that can go directly in, too. I love you, cast iron, but we're on a break!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My parents used to have a huge wooden chopping bowl, on the shallow side but very wide.  On the rare occasions when my mom made stuffing for a turkey, she would gradually cook the ingredients, and dump them into the bowl, which my Dad would chop them in with one of those half round chopping implements (Mezzaluna I think).  That was the worst stuffing ever, over chopped and very pasty, but it was a beautiful working relationship and lovely implements that I remember fondly.

We have a big old ceramic bowl that size.  I used to keep it out on the hearth of our fireplace, but now it’s in the basement for occasional use.  There is no cabinet in the whole kitchen that it fits in, and I’m not comfortable putting it up top because it’s so heavy and also breakable.

• Like 1

The large mixing bowl was a purchase that I debated for a long time. I already had large bowls, but glass and a wooden salad bowl. After I got the one though I immediately bought another one. One of them immediately went to being used as my kitchen compost holder. The second slightly bigger one is used for cooking.  

My zero regret impulse buy was the large rectangular OXO airtight container. We now have 4 of them and a few of the scoops (which attach to the lids).

I saw korean daikon, napa cabbage and gochujang in your shopping cart. Korean and Chinese supermarkets here have a large variety of large stainless steel bowls.  My parents generation would soak dirty kitchen towels in hot water and a small amount of bleach in those kind of bowls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dmil is a farm wife and had four kids. She loves bowls and has a huge collection of them in her kitchen. One year she got me a few large metal mixing bowls, one about the size of the OP. I thought to myself, "When on earth am I going to use these?" They get far more use than I ever imagined. From popcorn to mixing up saurkraut, to cooking for large gatherings of people. She was right.

• Like 1

You can never have too many bowls, and the bigger the better. I am forever pulling out a bowl that is just a little too small for the task. Then I have to dump it into a bigger bowl and have two bowls to wash.  I never learn. 

We have a set of stainless bowls, and one huge ceramic bowl that I don't think I can lift anymore. When my husband was baking bread he used it a lot. 

Edited by marbel

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I saw korean daikon, napa cabbage and gochujang in your shopping cart. Korean and Chinese supermarkets here have a large variety of large stainless steel bowls.  My parents generation would soak dirty kitchen towels in hot water and a small amount of bleach in those kind of bowls. 

I was gathering kimchi ingredients at the Latino-Asian market and decided that was the day I was getting The Bowl. It was one of the smaller ones there. It barely fit in the cart! It must hold at least 8 gallons. I’ll have to measure it. I think it has to live in the basement. If I put it on top of the fridge I’d have to move all the other stuff that’s up there. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

. It was one of the smaller ones there. It barely fit in the cart! It must hold at least 8 gallons.

The bigger ones can easily be used as stop gap baby bath tubs by my parents and grandparents generation 🤣 My parents were born during world war 2 and grandparents before world war 1.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The bigger ones can easily be used as stop gap baby bath tubs by my parents and grandparents generation 🤣 My parents were born during world war 2 and grandparents before world war 1.

I texted my daughter and told her I got the baby a new tub but it’s too deep for him until he can sit up. 😂

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I texted my daughter and told her I got the baby a new tub but it’s too deep for him until he can sit up. 😂

Baby photography too. This is what I meant about baby in a giant steel “bowl” for a bath (in this case for taking photos)

https://www.jennieharlessphotography.com/blog-1/2020/7/11/bubble-bath-photo-session?format=amp

• Like 1

My no-regrets impulse buy of the day was at Goodwill: a tiny red vase similar to this one.  Our lilies of the valley should start blooming soon, and this vase is the perfect size for them!  (I'd be having a lot of regrets if I'd bought the puppy, but he is a sweetie!)