Menu

What would you charge someone...

JustEm

Look up the rates in your area for a nanny? Childcare centers charge a lot less and many people want you to act as a nanny but they want to pay you like you're a childcare center, at least in my experience. I know it varies greatly by area so something that shows rates in your location would be most helpful. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 12

Will you be able to take the kid places (library, grocery store, park)? 
What about if the kid or you is sick?
Does she expect a lot of arts and crafts, science-y stuff, etc...?
Do you know what daycares or in-home daycares charge in your area?
Will the days she wants be consistent?

All of this would affect what I charge. 

• Like 8

Part of that is going to be regional. Where we lived in TN, it was around $10/hour. In VA, $25/hour. In OH, I've seen people posting for $15-20/hour. These are all for regular daytime sitting, not occasional night time things. Don't sell yourself "short" to be nice. And charge more if you will be providing the lunch and snacks.

• Like 4

Also, if you are not employed currently, check to find out if earning money will cause you and your dh to lose a state tax credit based on you not having income.  If that's the case, you many want to work the lost credit into your fees.

FWIW, I've known several young women who worked as nannies, and they charged $20 an hour.   

Edited by klmama
  • Like 3

I'd find out the going rate in your area and ask yourself if you're willing to take that. If you are, then propose it. If you're flexible, just say that. Say, "In asking around, the going rate seems to be $X. So $XX per week and I'd be happy with that. However, if that's really outside your budget, then we can talk and see if we can come to an agreement."

• Like 1

Thanks all, it has been a good 12 years since I've been a nanny and I know prices have changed since then. I appreciate the questions.

I do know it won't change any tax credits because I do run a business. The kid lives 2 houses down and it would be a pretty convenient way to make money since I'm already home with my kids. 

Do you know the kid well? Some 3yos are a lot less work than others. For example, potty training is complete for some kids that age and just getting started for others. (Do you know the parent well? Some parents are a lot less work than others!)

I'd probably say $300 a week (to include lunch) for a potty-trained 3yo with an established afternoon nap... if I were willing to do it at all. And I would require payment at drop-off the first day each week and the use of a car seat at the parent's expense.

• Like 2

Depends on your area, but I would charge $100 per day, with extra for overtime. That is only a little more than minimum wage and less than what she would pay a babysitter to come in and less than what she would pay a drop in daycare. You will need to set down rules for overtime also. 

Make sure you get it in writing. 

have a sign-in/sign-out log so you have a record of when the child arrives/leaves.

Definitely have a set drop-off/pick-up time, and a per 15 minute overcharge rate.  

while some people are good about respecting childcare boundaries - others aren't.  Some people will respect a childcare facility rules - but think of "a neighbor/friend" as not requiring the same respect.  

include what would qualify as negating the contract.  (e.g. consistently late for pick-up, requesting things not included, etc.)

• Like 1

I agree completely with a trial period. Sometimes it is just not a good fit and you want to be able to back out politely and easily. 

Is this neighbor also a friend, or just a neighbor? How much do you know about the child? A 3yo can be a ton of work depending on child/ parent styles and 8 hours per day is a long day no matter what.

I agree with others that you need to see what the going rate is in your area. You can easily look at care.com or something similar to see what rates are. Of course there are variables for years of experience, education, certifications but it will give you an estimate. Here the average rate is $20/hr. 

Nannies in my area are $20-$25/hour and $5-$10/hour per extra kid. Note that teens/preteens that operate as "mom's helpers" are cheaper than that (for babysitting a few years back I had to pay about $13/hour for a teen).  For a daycare center on the cheaper side, I would be looking at about $50/day. 

Although I do think these prices will vary wildly regionally and I'm in a high cost of living area.   

• Like 1

In my area, the situation the op described (watching another child in your own home, along with your own kids) runs $35-$50/day.  A person coming to YOUR home, dedicated to only your own child, costs significantly more. But around here there are tons of unlicensed folks babysitting a kid or two in their home and the rates are quite low.  A licensed daycare is $150-$200 in our county. But we’re not talking fancy daycare. It’s basically ‘watching the kids’. 
I’m not saying that the $35-$50 places are earning what they’re worth, but for a lot of families the mom can’t earn enough at her job to pay daycare and make it worth it. So they’re charging low prices. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hjffkj said:

A neighbor wants me to watch a 3 year old twice a week for 8 hours each day. What is the going rate for something like that. I wish she'd just tell me a price so I can either say yes, no, or counter. But she asked me what I'd charge

It would depend on what she’s doing. Is it for mental health? A minimum wage job? A professional job with a high salary?

I’m sure people will disagree with me but I’ve heard it before so if you don’t feel like typing out why this is a bad idea, just know I’ve heard it before. LOL

19 hours ago, klmama said:

Also, if you are not employed currently, check to find out if earning money will cause you and your dh to lose a state tax credit based on you not having income.  If that's the case, you many want to work the lost credit into your fees.

FWIW, I've known several young women who worked as nannies, and they charged $20 an hour.   

Add to this that if the OP is going to be considered self-employed that she will pay about 40% of it in various taxes (primarily self-employment taxes and income). 

13 hours ago, Annie G said:

In my area, the situation the op described (watching another child in your own home, along with your own kids) runs $35-$50/day.  A person coming to YOUR home, dedicated to only your own child, costs significantly more. But around here there are tons of unlicensed folks babysitting a kid or two in their home and the rates are quite low.  A licensed daycare is $150-$200 in our county. But we’re not talking fancy daycare. It’s basically ‘watching the kids’. 
I’m not saying that the $35-$50 places are earning what they’re worth, but for a lot of families the mom can’t earn enough at her job to pay daycare and make it worth it. So they’re charging low prices. 

That would be less than minimum wage!!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pinball said:

It would depend on what she’s doing. Is it for mental health? A minimum wage job? A professional job with a high salary?

I’m sure people will disagree with me but I’ve heard it before so if you don’t feel like typing out why this is a bad idea, just know I’ve heard it before. LOL

It's because she has a professional job with a high salary and recently became the caretaker for this girl and needs to figure out childcare for the girl.

7 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Yeah, that is crazy low. I imagine it'd be more in line with that price if it were multiple kids being cared for in the house. But with just one kid there is no way I'd do that for anyone but family.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Add to this that if the OP is going to be considered self-employed that she will pay about 40% of it in various taxes (primarily self-employment taxes and income). 

I know all about self employment taxes, I run a business out of our home. I think this makes coming up with a price the hardest for me. To not sell myself short and make it worth it after taxes are taken into consideration my price just seems too high to even suggest. So, I will likely just decline

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

I think there is a minimum income before that kicks in.  

26 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

It's because she has a professional job with a high salary and recently became the caretaker for this girl and needs to figure out childcare for the girl.

So is this supposed to be a temporary solution until she finds a long term solution?

27 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I know all about self employment taxes, I run a business out of our home. I think this makes coming up with a price the hardest for me. To not sell myself short and make it worth it after taxes are taken into consideration my price just seems too high to even suggest. So, I will likely just decline

You might be surprised what she is willing to pay.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think there is a minimum income before that kicks in.  

So is this supposed to be a temporary solution until she finds a long term solution?

I don't think so. I think she has coverage for most days. I'm sure I'll get a better picture of everything once I talk to her more.

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I'm glad that you are valuing yourself and won't undercut what you should reasonably be paid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I’d pitch your price. She has to know you’re more expensive than daycare. She may agree to it. At the very least she’s more prepared in her next attempt. 

• Like 1

Considering teen sitters charge $15/hour and can turn down any days or times that don’t work for them- I’d say at least $20-25/hour.  You’re an experienced adult and committing to watch just one child (not like a daycare with many).  And if she’s late to pickup, then extra charges like a facility does.  I would make the cost and expectations very business like and clear for less potential issues.  If you are to feed the child, then add in costs.  Otherwise, ask her to send her with food/diapers/whatever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, QueenCat said:

It is, and it’s crazy right? But for a mom with say two kids, with no real job skills, earning say $15/hour,  paying $35/day for each child for care leaves her with less than $50 a day left from her pay. Take out the social security/Medicare taxes and she’s bringing home less than minimum wage. So it’s pretty attractive to stay home and watch someone else’s kid.  I’m sure some of them don’t report the income. I know in our county the licensed home daycares struggle to compete. 

16 minutes ago, Annie G said:

It is, and it’s crazy right? But for a mom with say two kids, with no real job skills, earning say $15/hour,  paying $35/day for each child for care leaves her with less than $50 a day left from her pay. Take out the social security/Medicare taxes and she’s bringing home less than minimum wage. So it’s pretty attractive to stay home and watch someone else’s kid.  I’m sure some of them don’t report the income. I know in our county the licensed home daycares struggle to compete. 

I really do get that... the problem is really with our overall system of childcare, 

• Like 1