Menu

Ok - covid, now what?

gardenmom5

what are the OTC treatments?   or should do with my dr?  I currently only have a ND (left a message - but my regular ND "went on sabbatical" and no one knows if/when she'll be back).  I have a compromised immune system.

so far, just runny nose, sore throat, and a lot of pain. and a headache.

So - what treatments?

• Sad 10

Fluids, rest….I took Sudafed, mucinex, and Tylenol for the first few days to help with symptoms. I contacted my doctor to see about Paxlovid, but they said here it’s limited to over 65 or immune compromised. I have a few autoimmune diseases, but don’t take immunosuppressives, so am not considered immune compromised. You may want to contact your Dr or county health dept if you are immune compromised to check. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They told my mom vitamin C, D, Zinc and B12 vitamins.  That is all they gave her, but she was practically asymptomatic.  Since you seem to have more symptoms, I would be persistant to see if there is any other treatment they want you to have. They said my mom didn't qualify for paxlovid or anitbodies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HSmomof2 said:

Fluids, rest….I took Sudafed, mucinex, and Tylenol for the first few days to help with symptoms. I contacted my doctor to see about Paxlovid, but they said here it’s limited to over 65 or immune compromised. I have a few autoimmune diseases, but don’t take immunosuppressives, so am not considered immune compromised. You may want to contact your Dr or county health dept if you are immune compromised to check. 

See that is so funny.  My mom has stage 4 cancer and has low white blood and red cell counts.  She is 78 and said she didn't qualify since she didn't really have symptoms.

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

See that is so funny.  My mom has stage 4 cancer and has low white blood and red cell counts.  She is 78 and said she didn't qualify since she didn't really have symptoms.

It is so weird how different areas are distributing Paxlovid. I would think your mom would have definitely qualified. My dad is 74, but otherwise healthy, and his doctor called in Paxlovid for him as soon as he tested positive. He only had mild cold symptoms….not sure if that was due to the Paxlovid or not. Even without it, my symptoms were mild—mostly congestion/sinus pressure and fatigue. Had a slightly scratchy throat day 1, and altered smell/taste for a few days, but overall pretty mild symptoms.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Water. Lots of rest. Whatever OTC makes you comfortable.  More rest. And more.

Yup. 

I also got the Airborn brand chewables, with C, Zince, etc and upped my vitamin D. 

Take meds for symptoms, and hydrate hydrate hydrate. 

Oh, and hot steamy showers to clear mucous. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

It is so weird how different areas are distributing Paxlovid. I would think your mom would have definitely qualified. My dad is 74, but otherwise healthy, and his doctor called in Paxlovid for him as soon as he tested positive. He only had mild cold symptoms….not sure if that was due to the Paxlovid or not. Even without it, my symptoms were mild—mostly congestion/sinus pressure and fatigue. Had a slightly scratchy throat day 1, and altered smell/taste for a few days, but overall pretty mild symptoms.

I think that it's because the evidence for paxlovid is just so limited.  And everyone is so sick and tired of this pandemic, that we are grasping at straws, with paxlovid being a metaphorical straw.  Paxlovid distribution has more to do with politics and philosophy-of-care than it does with actual evidence-based care at this point (the big paxlovid trial, EPIC-HR was conducted a population that was unvaccinated AND high risk AND had delta.  There is  no evidence to support efficacy on vaccinated populations.  Pfizer's standard risk trial, EPIC-SR, did not show statistical significance for either primary or secondary endpoints, and was just terminated for futility)

Edited by wathe
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, wathe said:

I think that it's because the evidence for paxlovid is just so limited.  And everyone is so sick and tired of this pandemic, that we are grasping at straws, with paxlovid being a metaphorical straw.  Paxlovid distribution has more to do with politics and philosophy-of-care than it does with actual evidence-based care at this point (the big paxlovid trial, EPIC-HR was conducted a population that was unvaccinated AND high risk AND had delta.  There is  no evidence to support efficacy on vaccinated populations.  Pfizer's standard risk trial, EPIC-SR, did not show statistical significance for either primary or secondary endpoints, and was just terminated for futility)

ITA…. I read the link you posted a week or so ago. My parents are fully vaccinated and boosted, I would guess his symptoms would have remained mild even without Paxlovid. I don’t like taking meds if I don’t have to, so I would only want it if I really thought the benefit outweighed the risks. I’m also fully vaccinated, so expected mild symptoms, and omicron seems pretty mild anyways for most people.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

If she is in the USA she absolutely should have qualified. That is crazy that the dr said that. You have to take Paxlovid in case you’re going to have serious symptoms, it can be too late if they wait to see what happens.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ugh! I’m so sorry you caught Covid! 😞 

I hope no one else in the family gets it and that your case is mild and that it doesn’t last long. 

dh was symptomatic first.  2ds tested, so we tested.

dudeling has the fewest symptoms . . . 

My lungs seem clear - for now.  But I'm having liver pain. . . . 

• Sad 6

10 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'd make a list of the things you want to have on hand and place some orders to get them delivered now while you can still think straight. I'm so sorry you've come down with this.

This!!! We got some of those deli snack type kits, that come prepackaged with salami, cheese, and toast rounds, and some that had nuts and cheese and dried fruit. And some fruit bowls, jello, and popsicles with fruit in them. Plus whatever anyone liked to drink the most. Some microwave meals too, for in the freezer. Some bagged salads, or premade salads as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Neighbor started coughing,  tested positive, called Dr, and was sent out steroids.   I’d consider that if you have lung issues or start coughing.   

It’s actually possible to make the illness worse by taking steroids too early. If they’re given during the active viral phase, they can dampen the immune response and make you worse. They need to be saved, and given, if needed, during the second, over-active immune system phase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

dh was symptomatic first.  2ds tested, so we tested.

dudeling has the fewest symptoms . . . 

My lungs seem clear - for now.  But I'm having liver pain. . . . 

Do you think you should see your doctor and get checked out before the weekend?

• Like 1

I had a telemed with my dr's office.  They're calling in an antiviral for me.

She had a long list of OTC sups.  Most I have, but not all.  So . . . I'll try to order from the pharmacy I'll pick up at.  And . . . since Costco doesn't have a drive up window . . . . I have to go to a different pharmacy . . . .

• Like 11

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I had a telemed with my dr's office.  They're calling in an antiviral for me.

She had a long list of OTC sups.  Most I have, but not all.  So . . . I'll try to order from the pharmacy I'll pick up at.  And . . . since Costco doesn't have a drive up window . . . . I have to go to a different pharmacy . . . .

I hope you feel better quickly!

• Like 1

The urgent care my kids went to had a handout that read, in part: 

If you are symptomatic: 

Vit C 1000 mg 2x daily

Quercitin 250-500mg 2x daily

Zinc 75-100 mg 2x daily (elemental zinc)

Vit D3 4K IU daily

Melatonin 10mg SR 1 hour prior to bedtime

B-Complex

NAC 600 2x daily

Famotidine (Pepcid) 40mg 2x; reduce to 20-40mg daily if the patient has a history of renal insufficiency

Omega 3 supplement 2000mg 2x daily

Take all with food except the melatonin. 

Black seed oil, berberine, and lysine have all shown promise in studies as well. 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I just got over Covid. Two weeks for me. High fever, sore throat, inflamed nose, followed by coughing. Low energy the whole time. 
I didn’t see a doctor. I just took D3, zinc, super C, and Tylenol for fever. 
My husband got it from me 3 days after I tested positive. He had low grade fever and low energy and later cough. He didn’t see the doctor either. 
We are both well now. 
Our two sons in their late teens did not get it from us despite we are all home all day because older ds and dh work from home and younger ds is done with school for summer break now. 
You will get better soon. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

The urgent care my kids went to had a handout: 

If you are symptomatic: 

Vit C 1000 mg 2x daily

Quercitin 250-500mg 2x daily

Zinc 75-100 mg 2x daily (elemental zinc)

Vit D3 4K IU daily

Melatonin 10mg SR 1 hour prior to bedtime

B-Complex

NAC 600 2x daily

Famotidine (Pepcid) 40mg 2x; reduce to 20-40mg daily if the patient has a history of renal insufficiency

Omega 3 supplement 2000mg 2x daily

Take all with food except the melatonin. 

Black seed oil, berberine, and lysine have all shown promise in studies as well. 

This is pretty much what I took for Covid back in January but no Pepcid. Also added Agarikon mushroom, Paul Stamets’ brand.

Quercetin phytosome, 1500 mg or so divided into 2 or 3 smaller doses taken throughout the day.

Melatonin-took for 3 months after as well as B complex.

For coughs I blenderize about 1/4 cup of Real Salt until it makes a cloud in the blender, then breathe that in deeply. Repeat a few times. Keep salt in blender until next time. No one in my family has problems with salt and we find it clears up coughs fairly quickly. Salt-saturated masks should have been approved already to help destroy viruses, bacteria, etc. It’s taking forever to get certain things done but salt masks can be made at home if anyone is interested. (Google.)

To prevent, I liberally use Xclear nasal spray going through about a 1.5 ounce bottle per week. I’ve travelled extensively recently, haven’t always been masked in crowded, enclosed areas and so far, so good. I’m not boostered, either.

I also work with an MD who offers other treatments, such as blood ozone major autohemotherapy, which I used when I was sick and found helpful. If I get sick again, I’ll get that and add ultraviolet blood irradiation.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, BeachGal said:

This is pretty much what I took for Covid back in January but no Pepcid. Also added Agarikon mushroom, Paul Stamets’ brand.

Quercetin phytosome, 1500 mg or so divided into 2 or 3 smaller doses taken throughout the day.

Melatonin-took for 3 months after as well as B complex.

For coughs I blenderize about 1/4 cup of Real Salt until it makes a cloud in the blender, then breathe that in deeply. Repeat a few times. Keep salt in blender until next time. No one in my family has problems with salt and we find it clears up coughs fairly quickly. Salt-saturated masks should have been approved already to help destroy viruses, bacteria, etc. It’s taking forever to get certain things done but salt masks can be made at home if anyone is interested. (Google.)

To prevent, I liberally use Xclear nasal spray going through about a 1.5 ounce bottle per week. I’ve travelled extensively recently, haven’t always been masked in crowded, enclosed areas and so far, so good. I’m not boostered, either.

I also work with an MD who offers other treatments, such as blood ozone major autohemotherapy, which I used when I was sick and found helpful. If I get sick again, I’ll get that and add ultraviolet blood irradiation.

That's awesome info. I am happy to hear of helpful options that are lesser known, but for which there is a decent rationale and good observational data. 

3 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

How are you @gardenmom5?  I hope you are feeling better! 

I started paxlovid on friday.   paxlovid mouth is very icky. . . .  hopefully it will go away when i'm off of it.

Symptom progression seems to have halted.  I should add sudefed for the post-nasal drip.  (that's what's cause my coughing).  Lungs seem clear.  tired.  but my skin doesn't hurt anymore  :D.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am sorry you guys got Covid.  I am hoping you are all doing better by now.

Thanks.  dh and dudeling are pretty much recovered.   I'm still sick - (I was never "well" - so this isn't paxlovid rebound.)   coughing a lot.  Tired but hard to actually sleep.
My watch measures O2 (I think it's reasonably accurate.) - so I'm watching it.

• Sad 5

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Thanks.  dh and dudeling are pretty much recovered.   I'm still sick - (I was never "well" - so this isn't paxlovid rebound.)   coughing a lot.  Tired but hard to actually sleep.
My watch measures O2 (I think it's reasonably accurate.) - so I'm watching it.

Sending some get well soon thoughts your way.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I’ve been exposed, but am ok so far.  What type/brand of zinc are y’all taking?

43 minutes ago, cintinative said:

DH has Covid. I am hoping to avoid it if possible but I feel like the chances are slim.  Running a test now. thanks for the input on this thread.

Hope you both stay healthy!  And if you get infected, I hope you have mild symptoms. @cintinative hope DH is okay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some good thoughts your way.  

Thank you!  First time since lockdown for me.  My son was exposed at a travel swim meet in December, but he masked for 7 days as soon as I picked him up at the bus - my rule for him being able to go.  Many on the team got it, but he ended up negative.  Very stressful.  I was pretty exposed Sunday and again yesterday (although I was double masked so praying I am spared).  It is not anyone in my house.  I am masking at home and being as careful as I can.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

DH has Covid. I am hoping to avoid it if possible but I feel like the chances are slim.  Running a test now. thanks for the input on this thread.

I am so sorry DH is positive :-(.  Hoping you are spared.  It is super stressful waiting to see if we have it or not.  Think positive thoughts and take your vitamins!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you!  First time since lockdown for me.  My son was exposed at a travel swim meet in December, but he masked for 7 days as soon as I picked him up at the bus - my rule for him being able to go.  Many on the team got it, but he ended up negative.  Very stressful.  I was pretty exposed Sunday and again yesterday (although I was double masked so praying I am spared).  It is not anyone in my house.  I am masking at home and being as careful as I can.  

Hoping the masks did their jobs!

On 7/6/2022 at 7:14 PM, cintinative said:

Even limiting exposure to lower viral load can help - I got it from DH after being very exposed before he tested positive, but he isolated after testing and my case was WAY more mild. And the kids never got it. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Even limiting exposure to lower viral load can help - I got it from DH after being very exposed before he tested positive, but he isolated after testing and my case was WAY more mild. And the kids never got it. 

That's what I am hoping for. I am mostly masking in the house--he is isolated in a room with attached bathroom that we are not using at all.  So far we are all testing negative and he tested positive on Tuesday.  Do you remember when you tested positive? And did you self-test every day?  I have tested the last two days but did not self test on Tuesday (the day he tested positive).  

Just now, cintinative said:

That's what I am hoping for. I am mostly masking in the house--he is isolated in a room with attached bathroom that we are not using at all.  So far we are all testing negative and he tested positive on Tuesday.  Do you remember when you tested positive? And did you self-test every day?  I have tested the last two days but did not self test on Tuesday (the day he tested positive).  

He tested positive on a monday, I tested negative that same day, retested on Friday and was positive. I didn't have enough tests to test every day. 

• Thanks 1