Menu

S/O of a S/O Beautiful places you haven’t been

Drama Llama

Where would you like to go, if you could APPARATE and money, war, childcare and covid weren’t factors?

Edited by Baseballandhockey
How is apparate not a word my autocorrect knows? Seriously, my autocorrect should speak Harry Potter by now.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ireland

Scotland

Hawaii

Austria

eta: Oh, and England! How could I forget England?! But only the English countryside and small villages—where every single cozy British mystery I read is set 😂 Villages, countryside, gardens, sheep=yes, please! London=no thanks lol

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

So many places I want to see.

I'd love to go to someplace like Fiji or another island in the south Pacific. Central and/or South America, Japan and South Africa also on my list of places I'd love to visit. Can't forget Greece, either - specifically Crete or another island. While I'm on the other side of the globe, I'd also love to visit New Zealand, of course! That would probably be the reason to get myself over there, tbh. 😄

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Egypt.

Also the Alaskan wilderness, but I have phobias about places that aren’t quickly exit-able. So I need that whole teleport thing.

Egypt! Amazing. Highly recommend. Nile from a felucca at sunset.

26172300_767705870091461_4817925511877324782_o.jpg

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hannah said:

If I had a limitless budget, it would be the world tour for a year or two with the World Heritage sites as my checklist.

I don’t know that I’d use the heritage sites as my master list - but yeah this. Dh and I decided if we ever were given a mega lotto winning ticket, we would travel for a month every other month. 

• Like 3

On Monday nights, Rick Steves has a zoom travel show where he talks about destinations, mostly in Europe.  That has given me all manner of travel fever.  I want to go hut-to-hut hiking in Europe if I had to pick one thing right now.  ❤️  Like maybe Mont Blanc area?  I'd also love to go to Macchu Picchu.  I'd also love to go back to NYC and see a bunch of shows and just breathe it all in.

I went to Ireland once for work, but I had a couple weekends in there and it was so beautiful and the people were so friendly.  I was able to maneuver on buses.  It was great.  I have been luck to do a fair amount of travel.  My daughter and I did a 10 day Spain tour 6 months before covid hit and that was wonderful.  

If you have a travel bug, here is the info about Rick Steves Monday Night Travel on zoom.   Rick was doing it every week until recently, he is in Europe now.  But local guides have been guest hosting.  There was a British guide last night talking about London which was fabulous.  

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/travel-classes/monday-night-travel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mmmmmm. So many buckets, so little time, or money, or logistical wherewithal, LOL.

Currently top of list, by continent:

Hydrothermal wonders of Iceland; art and architecture of Italy

Trekking anywhere really in Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan

Wildebeest migration in Kenya or Tanzania; general safari in Botswana

Patagonia; Jewish & converso history in small towns across Brazil

Uluru, Bora-Bora, Fiji

Banff NP, this train that traverses Canada over two weeks stopping at all the national botanical gardens (NO ONE in my family has consented to accompany me on this, LOL), turtle hatching in Xcacel Beach or Nicaragua.

I don't really have real aspirations to go to Antarctica, but just to round the list out, if I somehow found myself teleported I am interested in the McMurdo research station.

Of all of these, I do dream and occasionally armchair plan the Italy, Iceland and turtle-gazing.  We'd booked Italy for March 2020, le sigh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Mmmmmm. So many buckets, so little time, or money, or logistical wherewithal, LOL.

Currently top of list, by continent:

Hydrothermal wonders of Iceland; art and architecture of Italy

Trekking anywhere really in Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan

Wildebeest migration in Kenya or Tanzania; general safari in Botswana

Patagonia; Jewish & converso history in small towns across Brazil

Uluru, Bora-Bora, Fiji

Banff NP, this train that traverses Canada over two weeks stopping at all the national botanical gardens (NO ONE in my family has consented to accompany me on this, LOL), turtle hatching in Xcacel Beach or Nicaragua.

I don't really have real aspirations to go to Antarctica, but just to round the list out, if I somehow found myself teleported I am interested in the McMurdo research station.

Of all of these, I do dream and occasionally armchair plan the Italy, Iceland and turtle-gazing.  We'd booked Italy for March 2020, le sigh.

Speaking of hydrothermal wonders of Iceland, one of the funnest things from our trip was using the hot tub on the roof of the apartment we rented. The manager filled it from a hose. It was piping hot, too hot, and he had to add cold water so we could stand to be in it. Hot water is free. Paid for by taxes that set up the geothermal system. They have to pay for cold water because of the energy needed to cool it. It was amazing! Whenever I would wash dishes, it was astounding to me how hot that water was!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Banff NP, this train that traverses Canada over two weeks stopping at all the national botanical gardens

Not sure what this is, actually. You're planning on taking the train across Canada, through cities with botanical gardens, and at some point journey through the really good bits from Banff to Vancouver? You may want to shorten this up and focus on the really good bits through BC. The rest of Canada is not much different than traversing the US, and the delays you'll experience on VIA Rail will probably make you lose your mind (I did just going from mid-point of Canada out to Quebec). Not to shatter a dream or anything, just warning you that 2 weeks is a much better time frame to focus on BC. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Speaking of hydrothermal wonders of Iceland, one of the funniest things from our trip was using the hot tub on the roof of the apartment we rented. The manager filled it from a hose. It was piping hot, too hot, and he had to add cold water so we could stand to be in it. Hot water is free. Paid for by taxes that set up the geothermal system. They have to pay for cold water because of the energy needed to cool it. It was amazing! Whenever I would wash dishes, it was astounding to me how hot that water was!

Yes, it's very unique. Sadly, the sulphur smell is a bit off-putting. 

On a bunny trail, the Park Guide in Yellowstone said that Old Faithful would no longer exist if they started tapping into the hydrothermal wonders of Yellowstone. I wonder how many gysers disappeared in Iceland? 

• Like 1

I'd like to explore the British Isles. Visit historical sites in London, then branch out into the countryside and over to Wales. Go to Scotland and Ireland. Closer to home, I'd head up into New England, especially coastal. I have been to lots of states, but never up into the northeast.

• Like 1

Places high on my list right now...

Greece
We had a trip to Italy and Greece scheduled, booked, ready for... March 2020! I'm still sad!

Scotland 
I want to go to Fringe and then up to the highlands. Dh and I have been talking about making this our kids are out of the house trip.

Japan
I've just never been! 

Places that aren't as high on my list, mostly because of money and/or danger making them less likely to happen...

Petra in Jordan
Egypt
Kashmir 
Machu Picchu

• Like 2

@Carol in CA We went to Interlaken, Switzerland as part of a 14 day tour of Switzerland. The small homes reminded us of Ikea. 

For us:

Alaska (northern lights would be a bonus)

Austria

Ireland & Scotland with a stopover at friend’s home in England 

Japan & Korea (cherry blossom festival season would be a bonus)

Scandinavian nations (my husband’s pick and of course kids would be happy to go)

Harbin, China for the ice carving festival (Harbin Ice and Snow Festival)

I would like to go to Antarctica, the only continent I have not visited so far.  It's ridiculously expensive and there isn't a ton to see there.  But if it ever became affordable, I'd go.  (Only for a tourism trip!)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SKL said:

I would like to go to Antarctica, the only continent I have not visited so far.  It's ridiculously expensive and there isn't a ton to see there.  But if it ever became affordable, I'd go.  (Only for a tourism trip!)

It's possible to fly over, if that counts.

re O Canada

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Not sure what this is, actually. You're planning on taking the train across Canada, through cities with botanical gardens, and at some point journey through the really good bits from Banff to Vancouver? You may want to shorten this up and focus on the really good bits through BC. The rest of Canada is not much different than traversing the US, and the delays you'll experience on VIA Rail will probably make you lose your mind (I did just going from mid-point of Canada out to Quebec). Not to shatter a dream or anything, just warning you that 2 weeks is a much better time frame to focus on BC. 

No, my fantasy is two different trips, Banff NP as standalone (my husband and at least 2/3 launching-age kids are in principle game for that) and then the leisurely cross-country rail trip stopping at botanical gardens (NO ONE, not even my mother, is interested in that one. Evidently not you either LOL!  In my mind, the journey itself -- time for reading, watching the world go by, disconnected from cell service -- is much of the appeal. This is not, turns out, a widely shared perspective...).

We spent 3 days in Vancouver and then a lot of coastal/rainforest BC on a wandering boat trip years ago, so it's really Banff specifically that I'm interested in.

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

re O Canada

No, my fantasy is two different trips, Banff NP as standalone (my husband and at least 2/3 launching-age kids are in principle game for that) and then the leisurely cross-country rail trip stopping at botanical gardens (NO ONE, not even my mother, is interested in that one. Evidently not you either LOL!  In my mind, the journey itself -- time for reading, watching the world go by, disconnected from cell service -- is much of the appeal. This is not, turns out, a widely shared perspective...).

We spent 3 days in Vancouver and then a lot of coastal/rainforest BC on a wandering boat trip years ago, so it's really Banff specifically that I'm interested in.

You should consider the drive between Banff and Jasper, taking in the Athabasca Glacier along the way. Jasper is very beautiful, and there are far fewer tourists. You can also see the animals come right up to the highway, as it's still narrow enough. Banff has changed their highways due to increased traffic. It is quite literally a zoo of tourists in Banff.

ETA: There is wifi on VIA Rail, so you won't actually be disconnected. 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

A closer option, with similar terrain and more to see, is Greenland. No penguins, of course, but there are people - indigenous peoples.

• Like 1

I don't know enough connotations for "apostate" as a verb, evidently. Can someone explain what it means here?

I'd like to go somewhere warm, sunny, not touristy, no big dramatic features needed, a lot of people but not ones among whom I'd stand out in any way, nor tourists. Maybe like, Texas or something. My ambitions are obviously not very high 🙂