Menu

Prayers please

Mrs Tiggywinkle

3 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Could your doctor look through this list of clinical trials and see if any of them might be worth trying? I think you're in New York?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results/map/click?map.x=1195&map.y=237&recrs=a&cond=Covid19&map=NA%3AUS&mapw=1395

Im far from NYC, but I’m going to look up the melatonin studies. I have some and it’s worth taking.

Technically I’m off quarantine tomorrow night and am supposed to go back to work.  I don’t know what idiot is making all these rules, but I’m sure i’m still spewing Covid.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Im far from NYC, but I’m going to look up the melatonin studies. I have some and it’s worth taking.

Technically I’m off quarantine tomorrow night and am supposed to go back to work.  I don’t know what idiot is making all these rules, but I’m sure i’m still spewing Covid.  

Ludicrous that they think you should work tomorrow!

I've read that in one of the melatonin studies they had patients with Covid take 10 mg per night for two weeks and it worked quite well. It was an RCT. So, what the heck. Might help you sleep, too.

• Like 1

Since you’re looking at the melatonin study, just check out any of these other supplements to see if something might work.  We do the Quercetin w/Bromelain, zinc, c, melatonin, D3, mouthwash (if coming down sick or outbreak), and I just bought Nigella Sativa to have on hand.  We also take NAC (not on the list below) during an outbreak and when sick. 

hope you feel better soon!

8D75214C-9FFE-4B5E-B54A-9E06D01F886F.thumb.png.74f6a6a858c9af20da01f18fd3c38452.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

But isn’t it quarantine for five days for everyone and then if you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving, you can leave quarantine but continue to mask for five more days? So your quarantine won’t end after a certain number of days, but rather after you are getting significantly better?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

But isn’t it quarantine for five days for everyone and then if you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving, you can leave quarantine but continue to mask for five more days? So your quarantine won’t end after a certain number of days, but rather after you are getting significantly better?

That’s how I understand it.  It’s meant for asymptomatic positive cases to be out of quarantine quicker.  Not for sick positive cases to be out of quarantine.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Frances said:

30 minutes ago, matrips said:

That’s how I understand it.  It’s meant for asymptomatic positive cases to be out of quarantine quicker.  Not for sick positive cases to be out of quarantine.

Is it even legal for Mrs Tiggywinkle's employer to demand that she work when she has just been diagnosed with Covid and is symptomatic? 

Just adding... I sure wouldn't want to be an accident victim or a heart attack patient in an ambulance with a symptomatic paramedic, no matter what kind of personal protective gear she was wearing! 

Edited by Catwoman
forgot something!
  • Like 12

40 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Is it even legal for Mrs Tiggywinkle's employer to demand that she work when she has just been diagnosed with Covid and is symptomatic? 

Apparently. My sister (ER attending) had to go back in less than 5 days because she did not have a fever. They are very short-staffed so people will literally die if she is not there 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

7 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

So—they do have them and my doctor put in all the referral. But they’re triaging it so she isn’t sure I’ll be accepted. She’s hoping diabetes will push it over the edge but they are kind of focusing on non-vaccinated people because they do the worst.  Meanwhile I am short of breath walking six steps.

I’m really hoping they call in the next few hours with an appointment time this evening or tomorrow morning.

I truly believe the unvaxed should be last priority - not first. (Unless it can't be used because of medical issue)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

I truly believe the unvaxed should be last priority - not first. (Unless it can't be used because of medical issue)

At the very least, being unvaccinated shouldn’t propel them ahead of sick people who are vaccinated!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Apparently. My sister (ER attending) had to go back in less than 5 days because she did not have a fever. They are very short-staffed so people will literally die if she is not there 😞

That's terrible!  😞 Is your sister in New York, too? 

I should think that being very short of breath with any exertion should exempt Mrs Tiggywinkle from having to go to work. Aside from the serious concerns for her own health, she could be a real detriment to her patients if she isn't capable of acting very quickly and caring for them properly. She has a very physical job and it sounds like she's not up to the task. It's so unfair to try to make her push herself so hard! 😞 

Does anyone know what New York State law is about this? I am really wondering, because what Mrs Tiggywinkle's employer wants her to do doesn't sound right to me. It's also hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a serious legal liability for the ambulance company if someone were to catch Covid in the ambulance from a paramedic with a known and documented active case of Covid. From that perspective alone, I would think a smart employer would want her to stay home.

• Like 4

They won’t demand I go back to work, but yeah it’s legal now that the CDC only requires quarantine for 5 days.  You have to be 24 hours fever free without the use of ibuprofen or Tylenol and your symptoms have to be “resolving,” but the CDC hasn’t really elaborated on what exactly resolving means.  I’m not coughing like I was a few days ago, but I’m short of breath while walking now. Is that resolving symtoms? Evolving? No one knows. The ER is staffed with people that tested positive six days ago.  
There was a huge outcry when the CDC first came out with the guidelines that HCW can go back at five days, so instead of rethinking that, the now say everyone vaccinated only has to quarantine for five days. It’s ridiculous.

This isn’t NYS; it’s federal guidelines. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/24/politics/cdc-updates-isolation-guidance-health-care-workers/index.html

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/12/return-to-work-isolation-guidance_12-24-21.pdf

NYS says five, National guidance might be 7.  Amazingly NY doesn’t even want a negative test, though I know people can test positive for months.  I am not scheduled to work till Tuesday so I am planning to just feel better by then anyway lol. 
I’m trying the melatonin and vitamin protocol. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That's terrible!  😞 Is your sister in New York, too? 

I should think that being very short of breath with any exertion should exempt Mrs Tiggywinkle from having to go to work. Aside from the serious concerns for her own health, she could be a real detriment to her patients if she isn't capable of acting very quickly and caring for them properly. She has a very physical job and it sounds like she's not up to the task. It's so unfair to try to make her push herself so hard! 😞 

Does anyone know what New York State law is about this? I am really wondering, because what Mrs Tiggywinkle's employer wants her to do doesn't sound right to me. It's also hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a serious legal liability for the ambulance company if someone were to catch Covid in the ambulance from a paramedic with a known and documented active case of Covid. From that perspective alone, I would think a smart employer would want her to stay home.

My sister is in Detroit. And she did not catch it at work this time (she did get it at work in March 2020 before they had adequate PPE), but rather at a small family gathering. She is confident that she will not pass it on while wearing her fit-tested N95. However, she would have appreciated more days off to recover.

And, yes, I think it is horrible and dangerous that Mrs. Tiggywinkle is being asked to work while feeling short of breath! I only mentioned my sister's situation because it demonstrates what a crisis the health care system is in right now 😞

Edited by Longtime Lurker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

They won’t demand I go back to work, but yeah it’s legal now that the CDC only requires quarantine for 5 days.  You have to be 24 hours fever free without the use of ibuprofen or Tylenol and your symptoms have to be “resolving,” but the CDC hasn’t really elaborated on what exactly resolving means.  I’m not coughing like I was a few days ago, but I’m short of breath while walking now. Is that resolving symtoms? Evolving? No one knows. The ER is staffed with people that tested positive six days ago.  
There was a huge outcry when the CDC first came out with the guidelines that HCW can go back at five days, so instead of rethinking that, the now say everyone vaccinated only has to quarantine for five days. It’s ridiculous.

This isn’t NYS; it’s federal guidelines. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/24/politics/cdc-updates-isolation-guidance-health-care-workers/index.html

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/12/return-to-work-isolation-guidance_12-24-21.pdf

NYS says five, National guidance might be 7.  Amazingly NY doesn’t even want a negative test, though I know people can test positive for months.  I am not scheduled to work till Tuesday so I am planning to just feel better by then anyway lol. 
I’m trying the melatonin and vitamin protocol. 

I’m glad you have until Tuesday to recover — I had read this earlier post and assumed that they wanted you to go back to work tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Try not to even think about Tuesday until the time comes! Focus on taking the next several days to rest and take care of yourself! 

Sending hugs!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m glad you have until Tuesday to recover — I had read this earlier post and assumed that they wanted you to go back to work tomorrow!

Try not to even think about Tuesday until the time comes! Focus on taking the next several days to rest and take care of yourself! 

Sending hugs!!!!

They did want me to go back Saturday, but I said no lol.  They’re okay about it. If I don’t feel good Tuesday I won’t go in either, but I don’t want to use all my paid sick time before January is even out.

I admit to being annoyed about everything tbh.  Rationally I know that we need to save scarce treatments for people most at risk, but I also feel awful and want to stop my feet and yell but I went and got vaccinated. 
I won’t be a baby about it though. Just disappointed.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don't think anyone is supposed to be going back if they still have symptoms.  The five days is for the people who get sick on day one, still sick on day 2 and then feel fine.  Or people like us--- we were not going out last M-F when our one dd and her dsil had COVID and we had seen them in a day or two before.  We were completely asymptomatic and don't know if we got Omicron or not but absolutely no symptoms at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Found a document from NIH as well, and it lists Paxlovid as first choice, Sotromivab second: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/statement-on-therapies-for-high-risk-nonhospitalized-patients/

Everybody who is thinking of getting Paxlovid needs to check their medications against it.  There are lots of medications that make Paxlovid a bad choice.  Also. if you have blood clotting issues or suspect that you may because of family members who have had them- don't take Paxlovid- getting blood clots is one of the possible side effects. 

That is why I would be getting the MAB if available or the other drug that was approved, which is not okay for pregnant women.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matrips said:

Unfortunately, it's not written as being only for asymptomatic cases. It's for anyone whose symptoms are "resolving" whatever that means. It's super unclear and results in many people out of quarantine while still infectious.

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

This is such a mess. The CDC says that people who are coming out of quarantine at day 5 should stay away from people who are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk. I want to know where are the health care setting that aren't full of people at high risk? HCW are being sent back to work with these at risk people while still infectious. I know they are trying to get people back to work, because that's a mess as well, but it seems to just be making a disaster worse.

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Everybody who is thinking of getting Paxlovid needs to check their medications against it.  There are lots of medications that make Paxlovid a bad choice.  Also. if you have blood clotting issues or suspect that you may because of family members who have had them- don't take Paxlovid- getting blood clots is one of the possible side effects. 

That is why I would be getting the MAB if available or the other drug that was approved, which is not okay for pregnant women.

Paxlovid is being regulated the same way as MAB in Michigan. Good luck unless you’re unvaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

Unfortunately, it's not written as being only for asymptomatic cases. It's for anyone whose symptoms are "resolving" whatever that means. It's super unclear and results in many people out of quarantine while still infectious.

This is such a mess. The CDC says that people who are coming out of quarantine at day 5 should stay away from people who are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk. I want to know where are the health care setting that aren't full of people at high risk? HCW are being sent back to work with these at risk people while still infectious. I know they are trying to get people back to work, because that's a mess as well, but it seems to just be making a disaster worse.

Yes, it does not seem like this will end well 😞

2 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Paxlovid is being regulated the same way as MAB in Michigan. Good luck unless you’re unvaccinated.

I have no idea how the stuff like that is handled here in Alabama.  We aren't having as bad an Omicron outbreak as many other places.  Maybe because the unvaccinated were hit really hard in July-Sept with Delta here and they have immunity.  We have been having Omicron outbreak here since about New Year, I believe, but not really sure when it hit here exactly.

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

And there are so many more immunocompromised people than in the past.  After all, treatments for autoimmune people have greatly expanded in the last 20 years and there are so many of us,  and a lot are not elderly either.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I already know my mom can’t take it for multiple reasons, including blood clotting issues. It’s one of the reasons we keep cancelling trips to go see her, since they always seems to correspond to a new surge. I guess we should schedule our next one now because then I will be able to let you all know when the next new variant surge will be. So far we are two for two with Delta and Omicron.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

Hope you feel better today, OP.

I keep typing stuff and deleting as nothing I say is good.

The system is beyond broken and I am so sad and outraged on your behalf. It should not be happening to you. I am generally not fond of hierarchical systems, but if there is supposed to be one it is now and you should be right at the top. 

I have HCW in my family and I see the toll on them and their families. It is just not fair to expect them to give and give while others take and are so callous and they are supposed to get care right at the top when it is rationed ? 

I don't know what to say except hope that this nasty thing is manageable.

Sending you all good wishes and thoughts. 

• Like 12

Still really fatigued and out of breath.  DH has to work overnight so I’m bribing the kids with pizza and movies.

A coworker, who also caught Covid three weeks after getting his booster, told me he’s still very out of breath on any exertion. His Covid diagnosis was almost a month ago.  I’ve heard that from several people who caught Covid in the last six weeks. This is not just a mild cold, but it appears we’ve completely lost control of it.

My FIL now has Covid too. It’s also his second time, having had it in spring 2021, and he’s also fully vaxxed and boosted. He masks everywhere, and I haven’t been around him or MIL, so he doesn’t have any idea where he caught it.  Probably church, even with the 100% masking going on there.  He doesn’t go many other places.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Sad 25