Menu

Where are you traveling in 2022?

mommyoffive

34 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Amazing!  We do not have any skills so we would need a guide and some equipment. 

When we went 5 years ago we swung over to devil's Tower before we headed to the Badlands and for home.  We saw some people climbing and I was intrigued.

We saw people on Devil's Tower when we were there in 2015. I watched them for a little bit, and thought, "Nope. Just not a question I need answered in my lifetime!" 😂

I want to go somewhere by myself this year.  I'm hoping in the fall.  By then I may have earned a promotion and a week off and I want to semi-spontaneously go somewhere I've never been.  I have a large family with cousins all over the country, and all of them are candidates for my little sojourn. 

Cape Cod, Kansas City, Seattle and Honolulu are all high contenders.

• Like 5

I turn 50 in December and I want to go to England. But I don’t want to have to plan it, so I’m going to talk to a friend of mine who used some sort of travel agent who planned a trip to England for her family. It’s hard enough planning little overnight trips close to home, much less planning something a continent away. Nope. Not gonna plan this one. I hate the planning part. 

I’ll go with DH and my two sons, covid permitting. 

• Like 3

It’s our 25th anniversary this year. The plan was Portugal and Spain for two weeks. It’s all planned but we’re not vaxxed so I’m planning other possibilities. One is a CA National park trip; another is a two week section hike on the AT. I also have an England trip and a UK trip planned out. I love trip planning. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Dh would love to go somewhere cold, anywhere, just “cold”.     I would really like to pay off some stuff this year, so we’ll see who wins.   Maybe I can send him to PA to see his sis and get his cold fix for really cheap, lol.  

MN. Specifically the north shore of lake superior. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Dh would love to go somewhere cold, anywhere, just “cold”.     I would really like to pay off some stuff this year, so we’ll see who wins.   Maybe I can send him to PA to see his sis and get his cold fix for really cheap, lol.  

Can we house swap right now?  It is COLD here.  I want to go wherever is warm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We don’t have any vacation plans at the moment, but we plan to go to a production oldest dd is in at her college in TN, plus another event in Nashville, both this spring.  We probably take at least 1 road trip to my mom’s in LA, but no certain plans at the moment. I’d love a trip to the beach, but I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

It’s our 25th anniversary this year. The plan was Portugal and Spain for two weeks. It’s all planned but we’re not vaxxed so I’m planning other possibilities. One is a CA National park trip; another is a two week section hike on the AT. I also have an England trip and a UK trip planned out. I love trip planning. 

Are you not allowed in those countries if you are not vaxxed?

22 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

We stayed here: http://shady-rest-motel.com

At the time it was owned by a homeschooling family. They have the cutest cabins!

Aww that place is so cute.  Thanks.  When we were out there we would drive buy so many little cabin rentals like this and I was wishing that I would have found more options to check out before we went.  

I would love to visit the Northeast, primarily Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont to see the beauty of that area. We go to Minnesota every year, and it requires hotel stays on our way there/back.  DH's family is big on indoor hotel pools, which hasn't been too fun for me, worrying about covid (plus I dislike them in general).  I found one with patio doors to the outside and was told I could open them when they are in the pool area, lol.  Ventilation! 

Edited by KrisTom
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

We are so close to the -35 mark, we are hoping we actually go that cold because they might cancel schools then.

Sil in PA just told me they canceled her school for tomorrow because of 2-4 inches of expected snow.  That sounded crazy to me.  2-4 inches and schools are closed??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Sil in PA just told me they canceled her school for tomorrow because of 2-4 inches of expected snow.  That sounded crazy to me.  2-4 inches and schools are closed??

Our school (CT) already called a snow day for tomorrow (1-6” potentially) This is New England!  Crazy. 

• Like 3

Almost all of our traveling ever is to see family or go to tournaments.

There is a slim possibility that we'll be going to Brazil this year.😳 It is a long story but we somewhat accidentally got Ds15 on the ATA Team USA. Short version: we signed him up for try outs just for experience against some of his toughest competition and he had a smashing good day. They MAY compete in Brazil this year. He MAY earn a starting position or the whole team MAY be asked to go. Covid MAY not interfere.

No other major travel plans, although we will do the regular TKD tournament circuit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

Almost all of our traveling ever is to see family or go to tournaments.

There is a slim possibility that we'll be going to Brazil this year.😳 It is a long story but we somewhat accidentally got Ds15 on the ATA Team USA. Short version: we signed him up for try outs just for experience against some of his toughest competition and he had a smashing good day. They MAY compete in Brazil this year. He MAY earn a starting position or the whole team MAY be asked to go. Covid MAY not interfere.

No other major travel plans, although we will do the regular TKD tournament circuit.

How cool for your son.  What is ATA? 

Good luck.  I hope he gets to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

It would depend on the winds. If there are high winds, happens here on the great lakes all the time, there are whiteouts and snow squalls. These cause horrible traffic accidents due to lack of visibility. Happens frequently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Wow.   How many snow days do they have to build in to the calendar??    That just sounds crazy to me.

I agree with Faith, you can get in whiteout conditions depending on the conditions.  We just had some schools get delayed or canceled for the day up here a day or 2 ago because of blowing and drifting snow issues.  I was driving in a whiteout storm before the Covid shut down.  It was the scariest thing ever and I had been on those roads a million times.  Doubt that it was more than a few inches in the storm. 

Some places I think also don't have the equipment to be able to handle the roads. 

Other times they cancel school for cold temps.  A few years ago I think our windchills were in the -60 - -80 for days, and then cancelled school all that those days.  They don't want kids walking to school or waiting for the bus in that temp.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I'm willing to house swap if anyone wants to experience cold. The windchill is supposed to be -35 tomorrow morning. 🙂 

They are saying at low as -25 here.  Heat wave!     Oh nope, news just said it could get as low as -35.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, I am going to check it out. Maybe instead of staying three nights in Rapid City, we should do one or two in or around Custer, and then one in Wall for Badlands. Our boys LOVE Badlands, but looking at some photos of Custer S.P., I was taken!

We were there for our 31st anniversary and it is such a great park.  We are now recommending it to everyone here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You are all way braver than I am making travel plans!!!

Ours is by car to a self-contained unit. The border between England and Scotland was closed during our lockdowns, but I don't think there's the political will to do that again. If things are really bad, we'll just sit on the rented house patio and look at the view.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I wonder how near she is to me.
Our district called a 2-hr delay pretty early, then switched to virtual when the forecast got extended. For us, it’s the bussing. Sending the buses up and down the mountains across 10 miles in active snow is a really bad idea. And bus stops can be over a mile away from some houses, adding more complications for students.
If the snow was to end early enough for roads to be reliably clean, they would have been more likely to stay open.  It’s currently expected to go until 10am.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Ours is by car to a self-contained unit. The border between England and Scotland was closed during our lockdowns, but I don't think there's the political will to do that again. If things are really bad, we'll just sit on the rented house patio and look at the view.

Our trips will be like this too. There will be a shared bathroom experience (campground), but we don't often see many people in them and it will be summer, so I anticipate lower numbers. Our activities will be mostly hiking and outdoors. We are not brave enough for planes or crowded indoor places yet ( at least planned this far out). That would be more last minute and based on last year still minimal. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Our trips will be like this too. There will be a shared bathroom experience (campground), but we don't often see many people in them and it will be summer, so I anticipate lower numbers. Our activities will be mostly hiking and outdoors. We are not brave enough for planes or crowded indoor places yet ( at least planned this far out). That would be more last minute and based on last year still minimal. 

Same.  We are doing a day drive to a cabin we rented for the week.  Lots of hiking, bike trails, kayaking, swimming in the lake, but we are doing one indoor activity - ds wants to spend an hour at their ice arena for stick handling time.  He is relatively safe on the ice (no contact, masked and bubbled) and only sits to put on skates so I'm okay with that plan.

All meals will be eaten at the cabin and the driving distance makes it so we probably won't even be stopping at rest stops on the way.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You are all way braver than I am making travel plans!!!

Except for the (very necessary) Germany trip, all of mine have no human contact except gas station on the drive there. Out in the wild, there won't even be bathrooms. 

Even traveling by air is much safer than my job teaching at an institution that has no Covid precautions whatsoever and requires neither masks nor vaccines nor testing. I'll be safer in an airplane than in my classroom. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Our school (CT) already called a snow day for tomorrow (1-6” potentially) This is New England!  Crazy. 

And in my corner of CT at least, we got more than that. It looks BEAUTIFUL, I'll say that.

10 hours ago, regentrude said:

In MO, they close for 1 inch. Sometimes less.

I am just learning right this minute that my lifelong impression of MO weather is terribly, terribly inaccurate. So you don't regularly get 12" storms?

(~~adjourning to confer with stacks of maps and almanacs or more likely the interwebs~~)

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

We've done several of these kinds of jaunts over the last two years, essentially picking up whatever state of home lockdown or dial-back or slightly wider circle we happen to be in at that moment and transporting it to somewhere else within driving distance (once to the beach in GA, which for us is a pretty considerable driving distance).  And for me at least it makes a HUGE difference just to have a change in scenery. Even if we're basically still constrained to the neighborhood... being in a *different* neighborhood, walking the dog on a *different* route... for me, makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I guess the schools made the right call. We are at 9” and it’s still snowing! It’s usually the opposite though. 

We're on the cape and snow is iffy here because of the canal changing the weather patterns.  They called for closings starting last night because we just don't have the plow force to take care of it this morning.

It was a good call.  Looks like we're getting heavy snow still and will be all day.

I'm supposed to be going to Vegas for a twice delayed Scrapbook retreat in March. 

We are hoping to reschedule our cancelled UK trip from December to May.

Otherwise who knows. 

We should be WDW this year at some point for the 50th but DH won't go while they are requiring masks so it seems quite unlikely. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I'm supposed to be going to Vegas for a twice delayed Scrapbook retreat in March. 

We are hoping to reschedule our cancelled UK trip from December to May.

Otherwise who knows. 

We should be WDW this year at some point for the 50th but DH won't go while they are requiring masks so it seems quite unlikely. 

So far, the UK is requiring masks in most indoor areas; this is England:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Here is where I am NOT traveling but should be.

Kalamazoo.

This past Monday we were supposed to take middle ds back to Kzoo where he has a museum job and is still taking a few extra anthropology classes from WMU. We delayed to Wednesday because - bad snowstorm. Then Wednesday, bam another really bad snowstorm with high winds. Okay, Thursday we will go Thursday, except when we got up, there were semis jack knifed on I -94 in multiple spots AND a police officer's car was hit by a pick up truck when he couldn't stop on the ice. Said officer was injured and made a statement that most of the drivers he saw were seriously over driving to conditions. Okay. So not going. Checked accuweather and weather.com. Both said the storm would be done by 7 am Friday. Figure we can wait to leave until noon, puts me in Kzoo at 3:30 if driving goes okay, and back home at 7-8 pm if I don't stick around at all. Get up today. Nope. Storm stalled over Kalamazoo county. Now predicted not to end until 4 pm. Traffic cams for 194 in the twenty miles east of Kalamazoo show currently 9 different accidents and a many miles long traffic jam.

Sigh. Not going anywhere right now.

Classes start Monday morning.

Tomorrow night Kzoo is supposed to get freezing rain. So the hope is that either it clears out and the roads are treated this afternoon, and we leave here at 2 or 3 pm putting us there sometime between 6-9 pm depending on conditions, and then I turn around and drive home late in order to avoid a hotel again (he has roommates and only a love seat and overstuffed chair so staying with them would not work well) - if you recall, I spent three nights in hotels in Marquette getting his brother for Christmas break because of a huge blizzard - or incur yet again, another hotel expense. Or, we leave at 8 am tomorrow, get there by noon, unload, and then I take off to make it north of the I 94 corridor before the freezing rain hits.

People, I am seriously tired of Michigan from November - April. Just tired of it. There is a reason the retirement house is NOT here!!! 😜

• Sad 5