Menu

Am I spoiling Obama the cat?

Terabith

He does not like me.  He likes my husband and my youngest kid, but he only comes to me to be petted if he's absolutely desperately itchy and they aren't available.  And he's kind of a jerk.  He holds grudges and attacks.  

But, he REALLY likes turkey.  And he has this adorable little baby mew.  So he has me trained that at breakfast, he gets half a can of wet cat food, followed by licking out youngest's yogurt container; at lunch I give him half a piece of Boar's Head turkey, and at night he gets another half a can of wet food.  Plus there's always dry food out.  

My husband says the turkey is spoiling him.  But he's SOOOO CUTE.  And he loves it so much.  It's adorable.  He purrs while he eats it.  

What sayeth the Hive?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is he a healthy weight?  That would be my only consideration. 

Yeah, he's about perfect weight.  He's pretty active.  The vet is always very pleased with him and says he's very healthy.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As I am right now dealing with that exact cat personality,  only she's in acute kidney failure and won't eat a ding-dang thing, even things that we used to think spoiled her (but of course we gave them to her anyway, because, duh, that is just what you do with cats) -- give him the turkey. 

Heck, even if my dumb, annoying cat, who I love something fierce even though it remains unrequited, *weren't* currently not eating a ding-dang thing, I would still say, Yes, duh, give him the turkey. 

If it helps you, middle DS has taught spoiled kitty to stretch up on his leg to get the treat food, so he feels like she's doing a trick and thus earning it (like we do with dogs).  You can try that if it helps your DH think it's okay.  For me, having her sit there long enough for me to pet her and here her purr is reward enough. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TheReader said:

As I am right now dealing with that exact cat personality,  only she's in acute kidney failure and won't eat a ding-dang thing, even things that we used to think spoiled her (but of course we gave them to her anyway, because, duh, that is just what you do with cats) -- give him the turkey. 

Heck, even if my dumb, annoying cat, who I love something fierce even though it remains unrequited, *weren't* currently not eating a ding-dang thing, I would still say, Yes, duh, give him the turkey. 

If it helps you, middle DS has taught spoiled kitty to stretch up on his leg to get the treat food, so he feels like she's doing a trick and thus earning it (like we do with dogs).  You can try that if it helps your DH think it's okay.  For me, having her sit there long enough for me to pet her and here her purr is reward enough. 

To be clear, my husband isn't angry or annoyed or anything.  Just that when I asked him this question, he was like, "Well, yeah."  Which seems reasonable.  

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

To be clear, my husband isn't angry or annoyed or anything.  Just that when I asked him this question, he was like, "Well, yeah."  Which seems reasonable.  

Oh, I didn't think he was annoyed, just being matter-of-fact about it.  Which, I mean, sure, on the one hand.....does Obama kitty *need* the turkey?  I mean, probably not. But does he deserve it?  (well, don't answer that, who knows). But, should you keep on giving it to him?  Of course. Kitties are put here for us to spoil. Or we are put here to spoil kitties, depending on who you ask.  Spoil away. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

You wanted to get him shoes to protect his sweet feet in the cold. Enough said. You didn't even need to tell us about the turkey. We know that cat has your wrapped about his paws.

I bought him an outdoor heated kitty house so I will feel less guilty about him being out at night (at his request) or when we go to my mom's for Christmas, in case he gets out.  We are trying to figure out if it actually works as advertised and only heats up when an animal sits on it.  Unfortunately, neither of our cats will go near it yet (they take a long time to warm up to new furniture), so we're experimenting with a package of maxi pads.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I bought him an outdoor heated kitty house so I will feel less guilty about him being out at night (at his request) or when we go to my mom's for Christmas, in case he gets out.  We are trying to figure out if it actually works as advertised and only heats up when an animal sits on it.  

If it is a K&H, it is probably good. Try a pillow for 20 min. Then feel under the pillow.

If it came with a removeable plastic door, take it off for now. Also, a little catnip toy or some treat leading inside sometimes works to get them to investigate (but likely not stay right away).

My belief:  Cats can't be spoiled.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Yeowch!!! Rascal used to lick and nibble any part of the human he could reach to wake them up to feed him. Let's just say that bOOkshelves became required sleeping attire.... (I miss the little stinker....but not that particular behavior!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

This was NOT!  However, I did breastfeed Scout.  

ETA:  Okay, Mike says I have to tell you guys this story.  When Scout was born, on our bed, after her mother came to our doorstep starving to death on Christmas Eve, Catherine was 2, and I was breastfeeding.  Scout and one of her siblings kept crawling under the blankets and latching on.  Let me tell you, kitten teeth are sharp, and tongues are rough.  I have very limited bOOk sensation; I am a deep sleeper, and the kittens were genuinely nursing, not biting, but it wakes you RIGHT UP!

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is he a healthy weight?  That would be my only consideration. 

This is what I was going to say……our cat who came to us near starved as a stray cries constantly to be fed….but if we give her all she wants she gets overweight!  The vet told us to limit her.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes. As you should. I too would be a slave to kitty mews, if I was so lucky. 🙂 

It's the most adorable thing, @MercyA.  He's a full grown, big cat, but he doesn't do the whole adult cat, "Meow."  He still sounds like the little five week old kitten we found him as.  I didn't even know he COULD do adult meows until he got locked in the laundry room one day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love these cat stories! I am a devout dog-lover to my very core, but like cats too, even though I’ve never really had one (except a stray I took care of for about 2 years). After 20+ years of having dogs, a deal has been negotiated that when we (sadly) do not have any dogs, my DH gets a cat (or two, more likely, bc I like my animals to have friends). I’m certain I will love it, but their personalities are SO different than dogs that it’ll be a fun adventure for me I’m sure. 😁 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I love these cat stories! I am a devout dog-lover to my very core, but like cats too, even though I’ve never really had one (except a stray I took care of for about 2 years). After 20+ years of having dogs, a deal has been negotiated that when we (sadly) do not have any dogs, my DH gets a cat (or two, more likely, bc I like my animals to have friends). I’m certain I will love it, but their personalities are SO different than dogs that it’ll be a fun adventure for me I’m sure. 😁 

Yes to two cats. Most truly do better with a sibling or feline friend.

My DH was convinced he was a dog person until we got kitties. Now he knows better. 😻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wet cat food out of a can is not good for cats. Also, they will lose their teeth earlier, if they eat soft foods. They should eat a good Dry food and have lots of fresh water available to them at all times.

Years ago, dear friends in Texas had a very small dog. She fed it a lot of wet food and I believe human food. The dog lost all of her teeth because she wasn't eating dry food.

1 minute ago, Lanny said:

Wet cat food out of a can is not good for cats. Also, they will lose their teeth earlier, if they eat soft foods. They should eat a good Dry food and have lots of fresh water available to them at all times.

Years ago, dear friends in Texas had a very small dog. She fed it a lot of wet food and I believe human food. The dog lost all of her teeth because she wasn't eating dry food.

Our old cat has kidney issues and no teeth because of chronic stomatitis.  She has to have wet food, and there’s no real way to keep them separate.  Our vet also is adamant that wet food is better for cats.  Dry food is like junk food.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Dry food is like junk food.  

It's literal junk food at our house -- it's a treat for good behavior!  I rattle the bag to bribe our cat with the promise of a few pieces of kibble if she comes to me. She had been a total-dry-food cat when we got her over 10 years ago, and we've been bribing her with dry food this entire time. 

It's amazing how long they keep up some of their habits. We had a cat who was afraid of brooms her entire life -- I assume when she was a kitten something traumatic happened, but over 15 years in our house with no brooms used against any animals ever and she was still upset when she saw one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Our old cat has kidney issues and no teeth because of chronic stomatitis.  She has to have wet food, and there’s no real way to keep them separate.  Our vet also is adamant that wet food is better for cats.  Dry food is like junk food.  

If she has no teeth then I believe she will need to eat Soft food.  I disagree with your vet. I believe that Dry food is better and that it is NOT like junk food.  Does s/he sell cans of cat food?

As you know, there are special diet foods for Dogs and Cats with Kidney and other issues, so if you feeding those you are doing the best you can.

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

Wet food is far better for cats than dry. Cats fed dry food are far more likely to develop kidney issues, which are highly prevalent in house cats. Cats don’t event chew kibble up when they eat it (ever cleaned up cat vomit right after they eat kibble? It will be full of whole kibble). 

• Like 7

I’ve always heard to offer both—our vet suggests wet food at mealtimes (at least twice a day) and kibble available at all times. 

Agreeing that most dry food is junk. DH is extremely particular about the foods our cats get—it’s expensive but super high quality. 

• Like 2

I'm team wet food is better. In the wild cats don't actually drink water very often, they would get most of their fluids from just eating prey. So a lot of house cats are prone to dehydration even if they are surrounded by fountains of fresh water. For a lot of cats vets will prescribe adding water to their wet food just to make sure cats have enough water intake.  

10 hours ago, Lanny said:

Dogs are different than cats. They have different dietary and health needs. I don't know much about dogs but even if dry food is better for dogs it is not for cats. One of my cats has congenital gingivitis (she got this before we adopted her), which means we had a talk with the vet about pulling out all her teeth at one point (we opted not to) and the answer to whether we need to change her to all wet food diet was no it doesn't matter because cats rarely chew their food. This also means I brush my cat's teeth every night so pretty sure she doesn't chew her food. 

• Like 4