Menu

I need warmer boots

Storygirl

Any suggestions?

Our high school football team is in the playoffs, so we are sitting out in cold weather every Friday. Last week, my feet became painful and icy cold, though I was wearing two layers of socks and a pair of boots.  My dad has Reynaud's, and my feet have always been extra sensitive to cold, so I've decided it's medically necessary to find a better ways to protect my toes during future lengthy outdoor events. (DH's feet were not cold at all; the weather was in the 20s).

Although I hate to pay the price, I'm considering the shearling or PrimaLoft lined LL Bean boots. I prefer a lace-up boot, because I have hard to fit, narrow feet. Are there other brands that I should consider?

• Like 1

I have Raynaud’s, and my feet *usually* stay warm with a wool or wool-blend hiking sock (I like Injinji) and these Sorels. I actually bought the camel colored ones two winter ago and they worked so well that I bought the gray ones at the very end of last winter. I haven’t worn the gray ones yet! But they’re warm and very comfy. 

• Like 2

I have Raynaud's, live in a very cold climate, and spend a great deal of time outdoors, often spectating.  Your first problem is two pairs of socks.  It sounds like you are using up your airspace with socks, which will mean cold feet.  One pair of 100% wool is what I would start with.  If your boots are still too tight, you probably need a larger pair.

There are all kinds of boots options out there but honestly, there is not a whole lot of difference.  The fit and what you put in them will matter most once you have a decent pair (Sorel, Boggs, Kamik, etc......).  Hot Hands are what saves me every time.  I buy them by the case.  You need enough airspace in the boots for them to work. They need to be activated outside of the boot for about 10 minutes before you put them in.  This is very important.  The stick on ones are nice for not shifting, but the ones made for hands last longer and put out more heat.  I find they work best under my toes.  That is a bit crazy making but you get used to it.

Pro tip:  Hot Hands can last up to 10 hours.  If I have only used mine for a couple of hours, I put them in a sealed ziplock snack bag.  That stops the reaction and they can be used again.  Even a few times.  I never rely on reused ones when it REALLY matters (just in case) but for everyday things, they work just fine.  I have to use them in my mittens almost daily so I reuse those many times before they stop working.  The really old ones, I still will use to pre-heat my boots then toss them.

• Like 13

Also, for others who are reading this with similar problems, standing in one place on snow/ice is the worst.  I bring one of those foam garden knee pads or even a square of pink insulation foam to stand on.  It makes a HUGE difference!  I watch and volunteer for all-day ski and dog sled races in the worst of conditions and this has been a game-changer. 

• Like 13

If you won't be walking much on them, I'd get Uggs.  If you will be walking on them, I'd get Sorels (or maybe Merrels or Bogs (make sure they are the cold weather variety)).  If you are going to regularly be walking on ice/snow, I'd get icebugs.  I have all 3 and use all 3 for different purposes.  The icebugs I just got last year, so amazing for winter condition walking.  

BUT, I'd pair with wool socks no matter what you get.  That makes a HUGE difference.  We really like smartwool socks, my kids love them too.  You also want there to be a little space between your socks and boots, so maybe try on your boots with heavy socks.  Squeezed feet will get colder.  I like the heavier hiking type for cold.  

We do use the hot hands warming packs in mitts/boots if it's very extreme conditions, that will help if it's really awful.  But double check your new boot fit to make sure there will be space.  Sitting or standing still is the worst though for staying warm and hands and feet go first.  So I'd make sure the rest of you is covered well and toasty too.  Maybe bring a blanket and something to sit on.  

• Like 2

I have the shearling, knee high lace up bean boots with lined rubber soles. I wore them twice last year.  Both times my feet were sweating when I took them off.  Don’t get the kind without insulation in the feet, they are SO COLD. 

Most of the time I wear the leather shearling bean boots that are ugg knockoffs because they’re so much faster to put on & off. The rubber ones don’t have a zipper to quickly get in & out of them so I don’t wear them as much as I thought I would. 

• Like 1

When I lived in Vermont, the ski lift operators all wore Sorrels.  Also, it was well known that if your feet got cold in your ski boots the first thing to try was removing one pair of socks to have air insulation in them, and possibly to slightly loosen the fasteners.  

Also, my DH grew up hunting in WI, where you stand in one place on the ice/snow in the cold for hours waiting for your deer. In addition to the above they would typically put a heavy felt insole inside of the bottom of the boots to provide more insulation underneath.  You might try the hunting stores for that.  

Lastly, you want thinnish socks but double layer ones to wick perspiration away from your skin.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I tried putting Hot Hands on TOP of my boots the other night, but it didn't help. Those boots are tight and wouldn't fit something inside them, other than my feet, but it could be possible with a different pair.

It's possible that the problem is that they are too tight. I am not sure of the science behind this but someone told me that if boots are too tight then your feet will feel colder.

• Like 3

My girls went to college in upstate NY.  I got them Steger mukluks, based in Ely, MN.  They outfit Iditarod teams and arctic expeditions.  Their boots last (almost) forever.  They're pricy, but . . . The cheapest pair is as warm as the most expensive pair - all that's different is the decoration.  They have a wool felt liner inside that can be replaced if/when needed.  *  You can also adjust the warmth level but how much wool you have inside the boot.   (e.g. you can wear wool socks in side the wool booties)  They're lightweight, so they don't make you tired to walk in them.  They work by having a soft foot to encourage circulation rather than "insulating" an immobile foot.

My niece went to school somewhere ever colder - and they were the most favorite piece of cold weather gear she had.  (she now lives in Ohio, so she still gets use out of them in the winter.)

*I have old sheepskin boots I bought at costco - basically Ugg knockoffs, but real sheepskin and real fleece.  I replace the fleece insole every couple years as it compacts down.  we're not that cold, but even when the outside is wet - my feet are dry and warm.

• Like 1

Another vote for loose, roomy boots.  I wear men's to get extra width.  (I do not have wide feet)

Also, standing or resting feet on a foam pad (or other insulation) really does work.  Also be sure to sit on some sort of insulation if you are sitting:  foam pad, cut piece of yoga mat, or even a few thicknesses of cardboard.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 4

Early in the fall they sell a knee high version of these most years.  I bought mine last year after watching for maybe 4 years. You have to order them in August or they sell out fast.  I’m not sure these shorter ones aren’t a better deal because the tall ones take 10+ minutes to get in & out of. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/89336?page=signature-tumbled-leather-llbean-boots-10in-shearling-lined&csp=a&feat=123547-recsbottom.pdp

• Like 1

I agree, try one pair of good quality wool blend socks first.  I usually buy the Kirkland Signature wool blend sock packs from Costco and live in wool socks from September-April. They reformulated this year, though, and I hear the new ones are scratchy.  I haven't seen them yet in stores. If you aren't near a Costco or budget isn't an issue, the Smartwool and Darn Tough blends are good.

Smartwool is 60% merino wool.https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-hiking-socks/womens-hike-full-cushion-crew-socks-sw001574?variationId=052 Kirkland is 57%. Darn Tough is 59%. 

Layering two socks is meant to minimize friction, which should reduce blistering. It's a hiking technique, but it does make for colder feet.  I only ever wear one pair, generally of medium cushioned wool. If I were to layer a second pair, I would put silk or polyester next to my feet. Cotton holds moisture. You have to have really roomy boots to double layer though, and I can't do it with my arch supports already layered into my boots. 

• Like 2

I will experiment with socks. I do have one wool pair, but I avoided wool for decades, because my skin hates it. This new pair I have is soft, though. I think today's blends are better. I put Darn Tough socks on my Christmas wish list, but I may invest in some sooner.

My two layers of socks last weekend included a pair of tights that I wore under my jeans for warmth. I can skip that layer (I do take a blanket). Maybe I also need some flannel-lined jeans!

Can I chime in on the "wool allergy" part. 

It's two fold: wool historically was processed (like in the 70s and 80s) with chromium and formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde is actually still a fabric processing issue, so if you find that you still have contact dermatitis with some clothing items, particularly wrinkle free ones, heads up on that. You can process it out by soaking it overnight, and rewashing. Chromium tends to be in dyed leather products, fwiw.

Second, the length of the fiber very much matters. Skin irritation usually happens with high density fibers. Superfine and ultra fine Merino products do not have that density. So, look for those if you know you have fragile skin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree, try one pair of good quality wool blend socks first.  I usually buy the Kirkland Signature wool blend sock packs from Costco and live in wool socks from September-April. They reformulated this year, though, and I hear the new ones are scratchy.  I haven't seen them yet in stores.

My local Costco just got them in, and I can attest that they are not nearly as nice or soft-feeling as they have been in years past. I was so disappointed when I felt them. I have bought many packs over the years, and these are obviously lower quality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

My girls went to college in upstate NY.  I got them Steger mukluks, based in Ely, MN.  They outfit Iditarod teams and arctic expeditions.  Their boots last (almost) forever.  They're pricy, but . . . The cheapest pair is as warm as the most expensive pair - all that's different is the decoration.  They have a wool felt liner inside that can be replaced if/when needed.  *  You can also adjust the warmth level but how much wool you have inside the boot.   (e.g. you can wear wool socks in side the wool booties)  They're lightweight, so they don't make you tired to walk in them.  They work by having a soft foot to encourage circulation rather than "insulating" an immobile foot.

My niece went to school somewhere ever colder - and they were the most favorite piece of cold weather gear she had.  (she now lives in Ohio, so she still gets use out of them in the winter.)

*I have old sheepskin boots I bought at costco - basically Ugg knockoffs, but real sheepskin and real fleece.  I replace the fleece insole every couple years as it compacts down.  we're not that cold, but even when the outside is wet - my feet are dry and warm.

Yup, when we moved to Duluth the ladies at my church wore and recommended Steger Mukluks. I LOVE them. My feet were always warm. Before we moved there I bought North Face snow boots and they weren't even close to as warm.

My favorite wool socks are Darn Tough socks and they have a lifetime warranty which is awesome. But the Steger Mukluks are very comfortable, warm, and light. Wool socks mixed with them was a very winning combo. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thank you for posting this! I bought a pair of possum mittens years ago when I traveled to New Zealand and they are, by far, the warmest mittens/gloves I’ve ever owned and they have held up amazingly well. I think I’m going to have to buy some of these socks.

• Like 2

One, thyroid meds. Two, take a double layer blanket that is windproof. I think they make stadium blankets just for this. Or go all Narnian with fur, hahaha.

I tend toward cold feet and no amount of fancy boots can keep them warm.

I say that, and in Alaska I did manage it. I bought wool *liner* socks, which you can get at REI probably, and then I put over those regular thick wool socks. With those AND the thermal lined boots AND the very heavy rated fleece pants (300? I forget, heavy), I was warm.

https://www.rei.com/product/856655/rei-co-op-merino-wool-liner-socks  These are mens, but they're the idea. Wear them *under* your thicker socks for a 2nd layer. I wear them in the winter with slip ons because they're thin but warm.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Storygirl said:

PrimaLoft

I LOVE primaloft and have bought it myself to make blankets. Get that as a stadium blanket with a windproof lining and you'll be warm. Also you need to keep your core warmer. Inevitably extremity coldness comes from core warmth issues. So you could add a primaloft coat or a vest to your layers. Were you wearing an effective hat?

If you get a stadium blanket, consider taking a heat source (packs you crack for heat, hot water bottle, whatever) to put under the blanket.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Storygirl said:

Maybe I also need some flannel-lined jeans!

Or fleece lined with the exterior layer wind resistant. Denim is prone to hold moisture, so it's going to feel colder.

Have you looked at Cabelas? My dh got me a pair of windproof pants with a fleece lining there. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Also, my DH grew up hunting in WI, where you stand in one place on the ice/snow in the cold for hours waiting for your deer. In addition to the above they would typically put a heavy felt insole inside of the bottom of the boots to provide more insulation underneath.  You might try the hunting stores for that.  

Sometimes you can also find foot length hot hands/feet products. Seems like we saw those at a Field and Stream store.

I suggest moving up the timeline on the Darn Tough socks, and leave them on the Christmas too. They are worth every penny. I have two pairs and have another on my Christmas list too. They are the warmest and most comfortable wool socks I've ever had and the only brand that hasn't developed holes. The kids were gifted Smartwool socks one year, but they developed holes pretty readily. I don't know how common that is. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I will experiment with socks. I do have one wool pair, but I avoided wool for decades, because my skin hates it. This new pair I have is soft, though. I think today's blends are better. I put Darn Tough socks on my Christmas wish list, but I may invest in some sooner.

My two layers of socks last weekend included a pair of tights that I wore under my jeans for warmth. I can skip that layer (I do take a blanket). Maybe I also need some flannel-lined jeans!

I’m allergic to wool but I can get away with it on my feet if it doesn’t extend too far up my legs.  None at all on torso or thighs but feet are OK.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

One, thyroid meds. Two, take a double layer blanket that is windproof. I think they make stadium blankets just for this. Or go all Narnian with fur, hahaha.

I tend toward cold feet and no amount of fancy boots can keep them warm.

I say that, and in Alaska I did manage it. I bought wool *liner* socks, which you can get at REI probably, and then I put over those regular thick wool socks. With those AND the thermal lined boots AND the very heavy rated fleece pants (300? I forget, heavy), I was warm.

https://www.rei.com/product/856655/rei-co-op-merino-wool-liner-socks  These are mens, but they're the idea. Wear them *under* your thicker socks for a 2nd layer. I wear them in the winter with slip ons because they're thin but warm.

Not to derail the thread, but I always think I have thyroid issues, because I have a lot of symptoms, and others in my family have thyroid disease. But my doctor tested my TSH recently, and, ,surprisingly, it was smack dab in the middle of normal. She said she wouldn't test other thyroid functions unless the TSH was off, and I didn't push it, even though I wished that she would.

Edited by Storygirl

9 hours ago, Storygirl said:

my doctor tested my TSH recently, and, ,surprisingly, it was smack dab in the middle of normal.

It was below 2? What is your doc calling normal? A lot of labs will use some pretty high ranges for "normal." I just had mine updated for my annuals and I was quite cold, using a primaloft blanket on top of my normal pile of blankets, and my TSH was 2.9. We upped my dose to get me back to below 2 (which seems to be my sweet spot, something like 1.5) and I'm regulating temps better. It's definitely something to check carefully. They might not want to treat if your TSH is below 3 just because the dose you'd take is so so low, but it's something to think through.

even though I wished that she would.

You could pay to have it done out of pocket if you wanted. I used to use healthcheckusa but they are no longer in business. I think @BeachGal had a company. Just pay, no scrip needed, totally legit. 

• Like 2

Not to derail the thread, but I always think I have thyroid issues, because I have a lot of symptoms, and others in my family have thyroid disease. But my doctor tested my TSH recently, and, ,surprisingly, it was smack dab in the middle of normal. She said she wouldn't test other thyroid functions unless the TSH was off, and I didn't push it, even though I wished that she would.

There is "normal" and there is "optimal".  They are two completely different things.  (normal includes people whose TSH are too high.)  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is produced to tell the thyroid to make thyroxine.

Did the dr "define" normal?

Free T3 and Free T4 provide more reliable numbers.  I had a dr who absolutely refused to run those labs, despite repeatedly being asked.  She even lied and claimed my insurance wouldn't pay for it.  (that was a direct lie.)  She eventually ran the *total T3 and Total T4* to "placate" me . . . Those are NOT = to "free" numbers.  I hate, and I mean hate, looking for drs.  after that - I was gone (and left some nasty reviews on yelp.)  I should have left long before I did.

• Like 1

my doctor tested my TSH recently, and, ,surprisingly, it was smack dab in the middle of normal.

Another tidbit on the TSH testing, but it can vary with time of day, time of the month, etc. I try to have my labs done in the early morning (7:30-8:30) and at a consistent time every time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I should have left long before I did.

It seems like @Storygirl would be a good candidate for a functional medicine doctor or a concierge doctor, since she suspects several things and wants someone to spend some time and dig in. And I'm with you that I tend to dawdle with one doc and not move on. I even did it with a chiropractor, staying way longer with one who wasn't getting it done for me, sigh. It's just hard to reach out for help and try new things. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

That for me is netherland. I get why they're not wanting to treat (because you'd literally go on just the lowest dose probably), but for me that is a place where I don't feel quite as peppy as I should and am noticeably cold. My dd is the same way, and she basically took 1 kelp (not more, just 1) to try to bump it up a little bit. If you go taking a lot, you can build up *too* much iodine in your system and it's not good. I even found that P5P (a form of b6, helps with anxiety) can bump the thyroid a teeny tiny bit.

I swear I think that covid vaccine messed up my thyroid. I had PERFECT labs 6 months ago and then with the shot I got stupid cold and my TSH had gone up. I'm now on ivermectin and prednisone, trying to get down the inflammation, so I'm curious to see if my thyroid goes back to where it had been. I can tell the ivermectin is working because my head is getting more clear. (After 2 ½ months of brain fog and astonishing fatigue it's very noticeable.) My hands feel warmer tonight too. It's just the first day on the ivermectin, so we'll see. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It was below 2? What is your doc calling normal? A lot of labs will use some pretty high ranges for "normal." I just had mine updated for my annuals and I was quite cold, using a primaloft blanket on top of my normal pile of blankets, and my TSH was 2.9. We upped my dose to get me back to below 2 (which seems to be my sweet spot, something like 1.5) and I'm regulating temps better. It's definitely something to check carefully. They might not want to treat if your TSH is below 3 just because the dose you'd take is so so low, but it's something to think through.

You could pay to have it done out of pocket if you wanted. I used to use healthcheckusa but they are no longer in business. I think @BeachGal had a company. Just pay, no scrip needed, totally legit. 

I use WalkIn Labs to test a few things. The process is easy. Go online, order what you want, pay, print out paperwork that you need to bring. Schedule an appointment or just show up if the facility allows it. (Mine does.) Take paperwork to testing facility. Get the blood draw. Wait for test results which arrive via an email. Anything unusual I’ll bring up with my doctor.

A few states do not allow individuals to do this.

If you sign up for emails, you can usually get 10-20% off at some point.

I also use some mail-in tests. Those are finger pokes that are done at home and then mailed in. Results are also e-mailed.

• Like 1

I have Raynauds also—it’s secondary along with lupus, which means it can get pretty bad(I regularly get attacks from making sandwiches with cold lunchmeat). It affects my toes and fingers. I have to be really careful in cold weather. I discovered shearling lined UGGS several years ago, and they are my winter mainstay (I live in IL).  I’m excited to try out some shearling lined Birkenstock boots this winter—we’ll see if they’re as good as UGGS.  If I have to be out in 50 or below for a prolonged time and am inactive, I have to wear fleece lined pants from Eddie Bauer;  a medium jacket, gloves, knitted hat that covers the ears, and shearling lined boots.  I’ve discovered I must keep my WHOLE body warm to ward off attacks.  If lower than 40, and I have to be outside a long time, I’d exchange medium jacket  for pouffy downy coat. For lower than 30, I will stick the Hot Hands (hot feet actually) that stick to the bottom of your socks into my shearling boots.  Needless to say, I also have several electric hand warmers that I carry around whenever I go out in winter. They’re indispensable.  

• Like 2

I haven't decided anything yet and will probably not buy before Black Friday, to see if I can get any deals. I did stop at the LL Bean store and tried on boots there, for sizing. And I discovered that if I purchase Bean boots, I want the Wicked Good boots, because the shearling lining in those goes all the way to the toes. In their other lines, only the part around the ankle has the full insulation. 

LL Bean does sell shearling insoles!!! So that's an idea. But they are $30, and the Wicked Good boots are only $20 more than the other kind that would need the insole, so it makes more sense just to get the lining built in.

I hate to spend that kind of money on myself, but I may have DH give them to me for Christmas.

DH also needs new boots and found some Sorels that he likes, so we may both get boots for the holidays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I haven't decided anything yet and will probably not buy before Black Friday, to see if I can get any deals. I did stop at the LL Bean store and tried on boots there, for sizing. And I discovered that if I purchase Bean boots, I want the Wicked Good boots, because the shearling lining in those goes all the way to the toes. In their other lines, only the part around the ankle has the full insulation. 

LL Bean does sell shearling insoles!!! So that's an idea. But they are $30, and the Wicked Good boots are only $20 more than the other kind that would need the insole, so it makes more sense just to get the lining built in.

I hate to spend that kind of money on myself, but I may have DH give them to me for Christmas.

DH also needs new boots and found some Sorels that he likes, so we may both get boots for the holidays.

If your Bean store is like ours, they also sell "Irregular" wool socks (of all brands - theirs, Smartwool, all). This time of year might be tough, but I have bought many pairs of "irregular" wool socks, and they are just fine. Also, in general, men's socks of the EXACT same fiber are less expensive than women's. 

(I ask for wool socks every year for Christmas, and they are the BEST. They also last a REALLY long time, which off-sets the ridiculous prices, hah.) 

Best of luck on the socks-boot combo. (and you already have fleece-lined tights, right?)

• Like 1