Menu

Neighbor with a new smoker grill.......ugh.

Tap

I am so sick of my patio being taken over by smoke!!!!! They have a tiny back yard, so they put the grill away from thier house, but that means it is close to the fence and about 15 feet from where I am sitting. There is no HOA here, so I can't stop them from smoking thier dinner, but man it is a really rude thing to do to your neighbors!

PSA....if you get into smoking your dinner, think of your neighbors yard too! I was thinking about thinning out the trees on that side of the house, to lighten the amount of leaves falling in thier yard. But now, I think that is the only thing keeping me from a full cloud on my patio. 

• Sad 13

They aren't the type to modify behaviors. 😞 At least they aren't cranking out music tonight. The last time they smoked, they had the music cranked up from 5ish to past 9pm. Two drunk men sat outside and scream/talked over the music.  I had to go inside, put in earbuds, and turn up noise canceling brown noise on my other speakers to drown them out. Joys of a neighborhood! It isn't the owner, but her grandson who is late 20s/early 30s. 

• Sad 8

I am hoping people are just working it out of their systems…. Our other neighbor had a weekend party. They drank for about 14 hours straight, slept it off, and began again. They had large barrels of empties by the time it was done. I am in a working professionals neighborhood. People just haven’t socialized in a year and have lost their minds.

At least it will be 111 Sunday. Maybe they will all be quiet indoors? 🥵😡🥺

• Like 3

Years ago we had a next door neighbor that went outside to smoke.  I couldn't open the windows without getting blasted with nasty cigarette smoke (so windows never got opened and I stayed inside when she was outside).  Honestly I would prefer the smoker grill smoke.  The loud music would bother me quite a bit though.

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Years ago we had a next door neighbor that went outside to smoke.  I couldn't open the windows without getting blasted with nasty cigarette smoke (so windows never got opened and I stayed inside when she was outside).  Honestly I would prefer the smoker grill smoke.  The loud music would bother me quite a bit though.

I agree. 

There's something about cigarette smoke that carries. I live on over half an acre, and so does my neighbor, but I can smell (strongly!) when they step on to their back porch to smoke. That's quite a distance!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tap said:

They aren't the type to modify behaviors. 😞 At least they aren't cranking out music tonight. The last time they smoked, they had the music cranked up from 5ish to past 9pm. Two drunk men sat outside and scream/talked over the music.  I had to go inside, put in earbuds, and turn up noise canceling brown noise on my other speakers to drown them out. Joys of a neighborhood! It isn't the owner, but her grandson who is late 20s/early 30s. 

Ugh.  That stinks.  I am sorry.  I have a few neighbors like that too.  It really bothers me that even if you go ask them nicely to modify their behavior (not stop it) they never do and are mean about it.  It always blows my mind how much people don't care what their actions are doing to other people.  I am overly sensitive to being a good neighbor as I grew up with a horrible neighbor who made life miserable.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Set up a big box fan and blow back towards their house?

(I'm only partially joking... Actually, I could tolerate smoke, but noise at night infuriates me...)

I was seriously going to suggest this.    It's what I would do in that situation. 

I like the sprinkler idea too but that seems a little too aggressive.  The fan isn't harming them in any way, just keeping the smoke from their smoker from bothering you.  No big deal. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am hoping people are just working it out of their systems…. Our other neighbor had a weekend party. They drank for about 14 hours straight, slept it off, and began again. They had large barrels of empties by the time it was done. I am in a working professionals neighborhood. People just haven’t socialized in a year and have lost their minds.

At least it will be 111 Sunday. Maybe they will all be quiet indoors? 🥵😡🥺

YOu mean your temperature will be 111F?  Wow= I have experienced those temps when I lived in Sacramento but am super happy I don't have them here./

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

We live next door to a rental house-  when we first moved here ten years ago, one of the renters smoked and I couldn't be outside for that even though we do not live so close at all.  But we do live up the hill from them and the smoke would just go up to our property.

I'm currently out on our patio. When we're out here in the evening, we can hear all of the neighbors out in their yards and it's not quite the peaceful atmosphere I crave. But no one is out right now at 8:25 in the morning. Not that this stops the smoker problem, but you might try getting outside early in the morning to enjoy hearing the birds and not smelling smoke. Especially this weekend with the hot temps!

We have no visible neighbors within a mile of us. 

Can still hear music from one place, and cows from another place, a mile away across the river.  The place with the music actually holds a couple of big weekend-long festivals in the summer (sans-covid), and that doesn't bother us.

It's all the gunshots from someone's property at least a couple of miles away that bothers me when I'm relaxing outside in the evening or on weekend afternoons.  WHY can't they go to the gun range?

I'm so thankful for no cigarette smoke, though!

Edited by Amy in NH

We have new neighbors. They’re younger than us with four children. They seem really nice. The husband does like to blast his stereo speakers while he’s working outside. I’m used to it being so quiet out here. It’s not that bad, though. A little bit of my trail runs across his property (previous neighbor friends didn’t mind at all). It’s been that way for many years. I saw him pop through the woods when he first bought the property to discover this tiny little, ahem , encroachment ….I was mortified at the thought that he might demand it be rerouted, and that would actually not be easy to do because of the way the land is. Dh and I went to introduce ourselves. He doesn’t seem to mind the trail thing at all. Guess I’ll have thumping speakers to live with sometimes, lol. 

But as for a smoker blowing over, I would just fan that away like others said. 

ETA: Well, I am a huge hypocrite. I just remembered the day Dh and I stained the deck this past spring. I brought out the bluetooth speaker and things started out at a reasonable volume with some easy listening. Like, Chicago, etc. Dh asked me to play some old 80’s southern rock, so I did. He liked it and asked me to turn it up, so I did. And then Back in Black played. Dh said, oooo turn it up! So, I did. At this point we were at “bad neighbor blasting loud music level”. I honestly didn’t think about that at first, but I just let the playlist play through then I switched to country music (let the record show it was at dh’s request!) with lower volume. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

It's all the gunshots from someone's property at least a couple of miles away that bothers me when I'm relaxing outside in the evening or on weekend afternoons.  WHY can't they go to the gun range?

Sigh. People feel the need to step outside and fire their guns here. On the regular. It’s hard to tell where it’s coming from sometimes, but it sounds close. The joys of living in the rural South. There are very many pros, though. (Yes, please go to the gun range). 

• Like 1

It could be cigar smoke. Gag!
but I would say that if you are getting clouds and clouds of smoke, they don’t know how to smoke properly and aren’t keeping the wood at the right temperature. Not that that does anything to solve your problem. 
I was trying to think of a stinkier hobby for your back yard, but other than cigars I can’t come up with anything.

• Like 1

Our neighbors have a meat smoker, too.   The husband is the outdoor meat cook...thankfully he smokes mostly in the fall and winter,  and then in the spring and summer he uses the charcoal grill.  Unfortunately we get the smoke because they position their smoker and grill the same way that your neighbors do.    Last night I think their son came over with some friends, and the grilling started at around 10pm.    We had to take the window fan out and close the windows in the kitchen/family room.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

Some of y'all would die in my neighborhood, lol. People cook outside just as often as inside. Smoking meat, BBQ'ing, boiling crawfish, crabs, shrimp . . . 

Same here- we fire up our grill 4-5+ times a week during summer. Today we used the Traeger to make burgers and hot dogs for lunch for the guys working here.  Also cooked some veggies. But we have bigger lots- almost an acre- so I don’t think we’re smoking out the neighbors.  But yeah, summer heat means our grills are used a lot.   The odd thing is that we sit on the deck less than 5 feet from our smoker and haven’t ever had to move due to smoke.  I wonder if the op’s neighbor is using fuel that’s not burning cleanly.  
I’d hate to use a fan outside but I’d hate being smoked out even more.  

5 hours ago, Annie G said:

Same here- we fire up our grill 4-5+ times a week during summer. Today we used the Traeger to make burgers and hot dogs for lunch for the guys working here.  Also cooked some veggies. But we have bigger lots- almost an acre- so I don’t think we’re smoking out the neighbors.  But yeah, summer heat means our grills are used a lot.   The odd thing is that we sit on the deck less than 5 feet from our smoker and haven’t ever had to move due to smoke.  I wonder if the op’s neighbor is using fuel that’s not burning cleanly.  
I’d hate to use a fan outside but I’d hate being smoked out even more.  

My guess, is that it is not a higher end grill like a Traeger.  All I know, is that he is using something like a smoker and it is big clouds going up for a while when he first starts it. Then he must like to fiddle with what ever is cooking quite often, because it opens it and the smoke cloud starts over again. 

12 hours ago, Tap said:

My guess, is that it is not a higher end grill like a Traeger.  All I know, is that he is using something like a smoker and it is big clouds going up for a while when he first starts it. Then he must like to fiddle with what ever is cooking quite often, because it opens it and the smoke cloud starts over again. 

That would be super annoying. When you smoke, you really shouldn’t open it much- like a crock pot, you lose a lot of heat and increase cooking time.   No wonder you’re frustrated when they use it!!

• 8 months later...