Menu

Yay! And not so yay.

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Yay for Master's degree!  That is amazing.  Sorry about the surgery and having to be alone.  I have medical PTSD from  a bad c-section and can completely imagine how difficult being alone prior to the surgery would be.  My biggest suggestion is to let the nurses know you are struggling with being alone.  I have done that with multiple c-sections after the one that went all wrong and they have always been wonderful to coach me through that short period of time in the OR when dh couldn't be there and I was a mess.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Yay for Master's degree!  That is amazing.  Sorry about the surgery and having to be alone.  I have medical PTSD from  a bad c-section and can completely imagine how difficult being alone prior to the surgery would be.  My biggest suggestion is to let the nurses know you are struggling with being alone.  I have done that with multiple c-sections after the one that went all wrong and they have always been wonderful to coach me through that short period of time in the OR when dh couldn't be there and I was a mess.

(((MrsTiggywinkle)))

This is awesome advice from hjffkj!

I wanted to add: do you listen to an ipod that you can bring with you (w/ headphones)? Listening to my favorite podcasts or music would really help me.

We brought an entire laptop so that our little guy could watch Thomas the Tank while he/we waited. Really helped.

Hugs to you!!

And yay re; your masters!! That's incredible!!

• Like 2

Congrats on your master’s degree - such hard work and perseverance to get that done!

Could you ask your nurse at check-in to sit with you and stay until you go to surgery, explaining your medical PTSD? Or at least to check in more often than normal? Praying for your peace and that your surgery goes well! 

54 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

biggest suggestion is to let the nurses know you are struggling with being alone.  I have done that with multiple c-sections after the one that went all wrong and they have always been wonderful to coach me through that short period of time in the OR when dh couldn't be there and I was a mess.

And/or they can get you some happy drugs to make that time easier. A little something can make all the difference, but you need to tell them so they know. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And/or they can get you some happy drugs to make that time easier. A little something can make all the difference, but you need to tell them so they know. 

My husband has had two surgeries at this surgical center and I’ve had one ankle surgery. All three times I found the nurses to be...overworked and brusque at best and b&tchy at worst. I’m not holding my breath that they’ll be sympathetic but maybe I’ll get lucky.

I find that medical professionals tend to think medical PTSD and anxiety is borderline ridiculous.  I had a corneal transplant in 2013.  It was outpatient surgery, the cornea didn’t adhere properly and was loose and flapping for several days.  The pain was indescribable, and I was not sedated or given pain meds in any way for the procedure that adhered it in place finally(I’ll save you the graphic details there).  since then I really struggle with all this.  I only go to one ER since most of the people that work there are personal friends who are happy to give me some Ativan if needed.

• Sad 12

19 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My husband has had two surgeries at this surgical center and I’ve had one ankle surgery. All three times I found the nurses to be...overworked and brusque at best and b&tchy at worst. I’m not holding my breath that they’ll be sympathetic but maybe I’ll get lucky.

I find that medical professionals tend to think medical PTSD and anxiety is borderline ridiculous.  I had a corneal transplant in 2013.  It was outpatient surgery, the cornea didn’t adhere properly and was loose and flapping for several days.  The pain was indescribable, and I was not sedated or given pain meds in any way for the procedure that adhered it in place finally(I’ll save you the graphic details there).  since then I really struggle with all this.  I only go to one ER since most of the people that work there are personal friends who are happy to give me some Ativan if needed.

Ugh! 

Probably too late, but maybe you can call ahead today to surgeon or surgery center and ask that anxiety med orders be added, for pre-op due to a PTSD diagnosis? Maybe not even mention it is medical PTSD and they might take it more seriously? (which is SUCH BS..but probably truth)

• Like 1

Congratulations!

Prayers for your surgery. I agree that something for anxiety could be really helpful. I wonder if your family doc could make sure you have some? 

Surgery alone would have me in a lather. I have been incredibly fortunate to have only had one, and it was for wisdom teeth (and went well).