Menu

Can I scream now?

mom2scouts

I just need to vent. DS is a senior. He took the ACT 1.5 years ago and has been trying to take it again this year to increase one of his subscores. After having it cancelled three times, we gave up and requested a refund. It looked like they finally got their act together, so we decided to try again. He was supposed to test next Saturday and has been studying every day. Covid is surging and the schools are going all virtual this week and, you guessed it, the ACT test is cancelled again. Yes, I know many colleges are going test optional. He's trying to get into a military academy and needs the subscore higher by next month. He also can't get his required fitness test by the deadline. The people who are authorized to do it are all working virtually, are not able to do the test, and don't have access to facilities. He can't even get his nomination interview because they had to cancel the interviews when one of the committee members got Covid. He can't get one of his required education forms filled out because, as a homeschooler, he doesn't have the person required and they haven't yet authorized someone else. DS was trying to do a winter sport and that got stopped (again) and that was helping him prepare for his fitness test (which he can't take anyway!) and keeping him mentally healthy. He's put so much work into applying and getting a nomination for the past year + and the process is difficult in a good year, but it's just been frustration after frustration this year. The person he's supposed to contact for help with issues is not responding and I wonder if she's either swamped with emails or doesn't know how to respond and is having to spend time getting more direction. DS has done really well through all the Covid lockdowns. He's an introvert and seemed to be doing well...until today. He's irritable and depressed and seems ready to give up on everything. He has all his Common App stuff ready to go, but isn't even interested in applying to colleges. Honestly, I can't really blame him.

• Sad 40

Ugh!!!  

hugs for u both and prayers! 

Scream by all means.

I also have a high school senior with lockdown struggles.   Different ones, but it’s a really hard stage for this.  I am glad yours has been mostly doing well. 

Tell him from a  WTM friend:  

Do Not Give Up! Stay the Course!  The fight is not lost— there are just some set backs to be figured out a way around or under or over or through ...

Find some physical exercise stuff even if it’s not his sport, even if indoors at home - it may help mood a lot in addition to physical training 

maybe shout

“hooyah! “  

(I bet a loud hooyah is good for endorphins!)

and sing a rousing  song for his chosen military branch

This is probably actually great experience ahead of time with coping with military academy and beyond— though I am sure doesn’t seem so.  🤪

• Like 2

Ugh. I feel you on the senior pain. We are past the college app process thank goodness, but the challenges this year just keep piling up. I feel so helpless.

The daughter of a friend is applying to service academies and having some of the same issues. She had her interviews but immediately went into quarantine isolation. I don’t think she will get through any other part of the process before Christmas, so maybe in the new year? Surely the powers that be are making exceptions and pushing back deadlines? 

Best of luck to you and your son. Everything about this year just sucks. 😞 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Ugh. I feel you on the senior pain. We are past the college app process thank goodness, but the challenges this year just keep piling up. I feel so helpless.

The daughter of a friend is applying to service academies and having some of the same issues. She had her interviews but immediately went into quarantine isolation. I don’t think she will get through any other part of the process before Christmas, so maybe in the new year? Surely the powers that be are making exceptions and pushing back deadlines? 

Best of luck to you and your son. Everything about this year just sucks. 😞 

DS did manage to get in an interview with one of our Senator's offices because they did it early and did it virtually. As for all the other stuff, as far as we know, the deadlines still stand and they are approaching quickly. I keep telling DS that surely he can't be the only person having problems due to the pandemic and I can't imagine why they'd want to lose good candidates due to a once in a lifetime event. If the academies don't make changes, I guess he'll have to go through the process again next year.

Edited by mom2scouts
punctuation
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mom2scouts said:

DS did manage to get in an interview with one of our Senators offices because they did it early and did it virtually. As for all the other stuff, as far as we know, the deadlines still stand and they are approaching quickly. I keep telling DS that surely he can't be the only person having problems due to the pandemic and I can't imagine why they'd want to lose good candidates due to a once in a lifetime event. If the academies don't make changes, I guess he'll have to go through the process again next year.

He definitely is not the only person having problems due to the pandemic. I work with high school seniors on college essays and MOST of my students this year have had issues with some aspects of testing, auditions, deadlines, etc. 

I don't know how all this will shake out, but I do know college applications in general are down compared to other years, because many students have made the decision to sit this year out. 

Those who persist in trying to get through the process despite formidable challenges can take comfort in that, I think. 

• Like 3

I've got a Senior,  too.  It isn't just about the tests - life feels like its being put on hold just as they were starting to be able to go do things.  All the fun stuff they looked forward to doing Sr year (and even spring of Jr year) are cancelled, postponed, or they try to have them online.   DD is so tired of online and its not even close to the same experience.  

I keep telling my DD that this experience is teaching her to be flexible and roll with it when things don't happen the way the imagined.  Not that she likes this lesson, but right not it is what it is!  

• Like 5

I’m so sorry - I have a senior this year, too, and we ended up driving 5 hours in July to the closest ACT testing site that was open.  And feel lucky for the opportunity because so many of my son’s friends have had the same situation of test after test being canceled. 

Also, I have a son at a service academy, so I understand the stress that comes with all of those hoops. I can’t imagine how much more stressful it must be this year with quarantines, restrictions, etc. Maybe have your son reach out to his ALO / Blue & Gold officer / etc. and see if they have any suggestions. My son did his first CFA at a nearby military base, administered by a base officer. I don’t know if that’s an option still, but might be worth checking into. Feel free to PM me if I can help with any questions or info about having a kid at a service academy. Hugs mama -vent away! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I’m so sorry - I have a senior this year, too, and we ended up driving 5 hours in July to the closest ACT testing site that was open.  And feel lucky for the opportunity because so many of my son’s friends have had the same situation of test after test being canceled. 

Also, I have a son at a service academy, so I understand the stress that comes with all of those hoops. I can’t imagine how much more stressful it must be this year with quarantines, restrictions, etc. Maybe have your son reach out to his ALO / Blue & Gold officer / etc. and see if they have any suggestions. My son did his first CFA at a nearby military base, administered by a base officer. I don’t know if that’s an option still, but might be worth checking into. Feel free to PM me if I can help with any questions or info about having a kid at a service academy. Hugs mama -vent away! 

He has been trying to and is not getting a response. The only thing he's been getting from her is reminders that the CFA deadline is approaching. We don't have any military bases near us. We live near a university and the ROTC instructors would have done it, but now they are locked down and only allowed to work virtually. They said, "Sorry, we can't do it now." We tried our local high school PE teachers, but they're in the same situation. So frustrating!

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

He has been trying to and is not getting a response. The only thing he's been getting from her is reminders that the CFA deadline is approaching. We don't have any military bases near us. We live near a university and the ROTC instructors would have done it, but now they are locked down and only allowed to work virtually. They said, "Sorry, we can't do it now." We tried our local high school PE teachers, but they're in the same situation. So frustrating!

I’m so sorry! I’ll try to brainstorm some other possibilities. Are you on the Service Academy Forums? The people there may have some ideas to help. 

• Like 1

So sorry!  We are in the same boat except my senior has never taken the ACT or SAT.  She is still scheduled for Saturday and it is not showing as cancelled yet but I contacted the test site directly and they said they informed ACT that they were cancelling weeks ago.  I'm glad I asked so dd could stop prepping.  This will be cancellation number 5.  She is already accepted at her college of choice but needs the test for merit aid.  I will scream with you.

• Sad 3

Ugh, I cannot figure out how they haven’t figured how to proctor this online yet.  Thousands of college kids are testing online with various security tools this fall.   I have a 16 year old with a summer birthday and we decided to delay her graduation for a year and have her start DE next fall (we get 2 years free for qualified high schoolers she could have started this year).  I’m hoping she can start without an ACT score.  Although she took it in 9th and that score might work.  Having a year of padding to be applying is really helping all our sanity right now.

I would want to scream too.  😢   I’m sorry.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3

All you people with high schoolers, I really feel for you.  Locally, the school district in my city had a ransomware attack last Monday.  So they had no school all last week and everyone (both non-virtual virtual students and reg students) are this week doing review worksheets on paper.  They will be due next Monday.  

In other news, my state has said they are missing almost 10,000 kids who didn't return to regular public school or do the public virtual school options.  I am not the least surprised.  I wouldn't be surprised that many have switched to either private schooling or home schooling.  What is happening in the public schools is not good at all.  I saw the difference between private and public school last spring talking to parents/grandparents.  Two specific examples were both kids in high school, both taking advanced classes.  The one in public school had about 45 minutes of work a day.  The one in private school was having a full school day of work (not review).  I assume that the homeschoolers also kept on learning.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

In the UK, officially-recorded (registered) homeschooling is estimated to have increased 38% since a year ago (note: not all homeschoolers register; only students with documented disabilities and official accommodations that have already started school are legally required to register intent to homeschool, not everyone knows registration is an option let alone a recommendation, and many parents who started registering may have missed the cut-off to be included as registered homeschoolers on this year's census). 25% of this occurred since September 1 (the start of the school year, when students went back full-time).

This is despite the fact that schools are required to meet in person, with internet-based options (which may range from emailing lessons home to joining the class via videoconferencing) for anyone not in a position to physically attend, plus a requirement for schools to set a full day's work in the usual range of subjects (and in England and Northern Ireland, that work is still required to build up to exams for students due to take them). Unlike in previous years, where the primary reasons given were mental health, encouragement by schools to start homeschooling and faith, this year's have primarily been due to COVID-19 and lack of confidence in the students getting a safe/sound education. (There seems to be some who think it's dangerous to send children to school, and others who would accept the risk but believe they can do a better job of teaching their children - or whose schools/classes are self-isolating so often that even "console-schooling" would provide a more consistent education than trying to learn at school).

So I'm not surprised a lot of children also aren't in school where TravelingChris lives.

• Like 2

He emailed the next higher person and they told him to keep trying to reach the person who's supposed to be helping him. He also said his ACT was cancelled for the 4th time and the advice was "to find another local school that's having the test." 😂😂😂 I'm laughing because the only other option is to cry. I was just happy that the one closest to us still had seats available when I registered because the other ones were all full (and are also cancelled). Are they really so clueless about what's happening out here in the world? I guess the answer is "yes".

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 12/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, TravelingChris said:

All you people with high schoolers, I really feel for you.  Locally, the school district in my city had a ransomware attack last Monday.  So they had no school all last week and everyone (both non-virtual virtual students and reg students) are this week doing review worksheets on paper.  They will be due next Monday.  

In other news, my state has said they are missing almost 10,000 kids who didn't return to regular public school or do the public virtual school options.  I am not the least surprised.  I wouldn't be surprised that many have switched to either private schooling or home schooling.  What is happening in the public schools is not good at all.  I saw the difference between private and public school last spring talking to parents/grandparents.  Two specific examples were both kids in high school, both taking advanced classes.  The one in public school had about 45 minutes of work a day.  The one in private school was having a full school day of work (not review).  I assume that the homeschoolers also kept on learning.  

WHat happened last Spring and what is happening now are two different things.

The public schools were pretty much told NOT to teach new material last spring but just to review. Now they are forging full steam ahead to the best of their ability.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, FuzzyCatz said:

Ugh, I cannot figure out how they haven’t figured how to proctor this online yet.  Thousands of college kids are testing online with various security tools this fall.  

The stakes are much, much higher for the ACT because there is so much money in play. I don't think current exam proctoring is up to the task. 

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

The public schools were pretty much told NOT to teach new material last spring but just to review. Now they are forging full steam ahead to the best of their ability.

This. The public schools were very concerned with the fairness and legality of plunging full force into remote learning with no real planning, when the level of technology and support is so varied. Private schools do not operate under the same restrictions. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

No, that is what I was referring to.  Because my school district has a gigantic issue with a ransomware attack- they have returned to just review again until Christmas holidays.  

On 12/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, TravelingChris said:

We started homeschooling again because of this issue.  My high schooler only “went” to school three days a week the last half of the year.  And the work load was a joke.  We were lucky this year with the PSAT.  My daughter attends a homeschool program that was offering it to siblings of current students along with their high school students.   Every public school and private school had limited it to only their students. I can’t even imagine that colleges can consider these scores at all since most students couldn’t even take it.  But, watch them do it anyway😒.

• Like 1

I wish I could offer my dd#2's seat this Saturday to one of y'all. She is registered for this one because we weren't sure if her October one would be cancelled or if she would need retake it because prepping had been interrupted/stopped/restarted so many times due to cancellations.  She ended up one & done, but the ACT won't let her cancel. So she'll just be no show on Saturday because it looks like it is still a go here. No way does she want to take it again.

Good luck to all of you!!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry he is having such a difficult time! 

If you could make it to middle GA, some of the schools here are testing even when virtual otherwise. My ds took the SAT for the first time (he's a senior) last Saturday at my dh's school. They were all virtual last week but back in class this week.  Dh's school offers the SAT again in March. Depending on ds' scores, we may sign up for him to take it again. 

Ds is signed up for the ACT at another local school in February. They are in person with the option for virtual, at least for now. We'll see how it goes. 

Ds wants to go to the private university dh, dd, and I attended. Thankfully, it's an easy application as a homeschooler...one page transcript and scores, plus their application. 

Our test center is still listed as on for tomorrow on the ACT website.  It appears most, if not all, other sites in my state are cancelled and holding it would be against our current state mandate.  Plus.  I KNOW from asking the test site directly that they cancelled.  Dd stopped prepping two weeks ago once I got in touch with the test site.  So, now I guess we go through the motions of showing up in the morning since it is still officially "on" according to ACT?   

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I'm so sorry he is having such a difficult time! 

If you could make it to middle GA, some of the schools here are testing even when virtual otherwise. My ds took the SAT for the first time (he's a senior) last Saturday at my dh's school. They were all virtual last week but back in class this week.  Dh's school offers the SAT again in March. Depending on ds' scores, we may sign up for him to take it again. 

Ds is signed up for the ACT at another local school in February. They are in person with the option for virtual, at least for now. We'll see how it goes. 

Ds wants to go to the private university dh, dd, and I attended. Thankfully, it's an easy application as a homeschooler...one page transcript and scores, plus their application. 

Thanks. He has an end of January deadline for everything to be completed. The ACT opportunity is gone and completing the fitness test isn't looking good. If he can even find someone to do the test, he'll only have one chance, so he's working out as much as possible at home. We'll complete the other paperwork (transcript, mid-year reports, recommendations) which are mostly my responsibility as homeschool parent. We're starting to talk about just using his current scores, trying everything in our power to get the fitness test, and then going right into starting the entire process again for next year. He had planned to try again next year anyway if he didn't get a nomination or an appointment. He may plan to stay home and do ROTC at the local college while starting the process again.

• Like 2